Unofficial LP12 Upgrade?

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Unofficial LP12 Upgrade?

Post by Charlie1 »

Any news from forum members reference some unofficial upgrades for the LP12, including a new outer platter and nuts/springs too? I am told one German dealer has about 2 dozen decks coming in to have them fitted as it represents a decent size upgrade.

EDIT: The new platter incorporates a black line for the Radikal speed check and has a more glossy finish. I'm presuming it's not just the same as the one Thomas wrote about a few years ago: http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I just received a new LP12 for demo that is having the Radikal, Keel, Ekos SE/1 and Urika installed (and a Kandid - someday). I will take a look at the platter and let you know what I see when I get back to work. I did notice that the outer platter has a slightly different finish from the inner one but the fit was similar to previous platters so there is still room for the feeler gauge between the two.

The nuts aren't all that new - Linn switched to nuts with toothed washers attached for all positions except for the suspension adjusting screws some time back. To be honest, some of the dealers are not big fans of these and prefer the nylocks for most positions. However there is some evidence that using one in the motor corner on that stud at low torques is a musical improvement. I am experimenting with it but so far it does seem to be better. I will also be playing around with these nuts on the bolts that hold the top plate to the plinth. I will report on my results.

I didn't notice any difference on the springs but I didn't look that closely and most of the springs I have in my spares kit are new within the last couple of months anyway. Other than that I see no indications of tighter tolerances, etc. on other parts. Indeed I had to remove and bend the top plate as it was virtually flat and was rattling on the power switch corner. Its fit was also no more precise in a stock Linn plinth that any other LP12 I have seen.

Linn has a policy of continual upgrades on all their products so if they can find a better spring, etc. they will implement it. Then again sometimes a part change is a simple matter of expediency either because the original part becomes unavailable or a less expensive part is deemed adequate. Most of the time these part changes either keep the status quo performance wise or improve it - but not always. I am not honestly a fan of the newer suspension bolts or T.Kable but certainly the newer felt mat and the current P-Clip are definite improvements.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Tom - I'll feedback if I hear any more.

Incidentally, has the outer platter come with a black line underneath for a while now, or is that something new?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Took a quick look at the platter and it does have black line on the inside edge. Obviously made with a marker and not perfectly straight so apparently precision not necessary. Speed seems to hold with just the marker line. It also has a number (1-14, maybe manufacturing date?) on the inside edge but in silver marker so it apparently doesn't cause problems with the Radikal. It does appear to be a bit shinier than usual and the coating is smoother than the coating on the inner platter which is more mottled. Weight doesn't seem different but I haven't put it on a scale. However, when the two year old platter on our Majik LP12 is replaced with this platter there is no change in suspension height. It also has the same ring to it when tapped so I suspect no change in materials. I note that the bottom surface has the same mottled look to the coating as the top of the inner platter so it is likely just to be different spray nozzle or coating thickness. Noticed that the new platter has little sparkles when held in the light just right, much like a metal-flake automotive finish. Older platter doesn't appear to have that but it has also dulled with age so it is hard to tell.

Overall my guess is no real change in platter material and the machining seems the same. Note that the latest spares list we have, which is from November 2013, still shows part number OPLAT/05 for the outer platter so no change there. Once we get the cartridge in for our LP12 I'll give both a listen and see if I can pick up anything.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Many thanks for the response Thomas.

Looks like there have been no intentional improvements, according to David Williamson: -
http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... #pid313382
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A little addendum: the platter did not hold the speed properly when I tried it again so I put the felt strip back on and it locked right away. Another platter on a new Majik LP12 looked the same and had a much tighter fit than the one on the new LP12SE. So it looks like the fit is just a matter of unit to unit variation.