Small top quality floorstanders

General HiFi discussion, using the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Peter Lanky
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 2017-03-21 15:18

Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Peter Lanky » 2019-10-07 20:26

I have now (I hope) completedthe upgrading of the front end and middle components in the shape of KRDSM-E and Tundra Solos. I am using M140 speakers with upgraded stands and am in no hurry to replace them, but I do like to keep my eye out for a second hand bargain. But what?

Obviously I would only want to consider speakers that are significantly superior to my M140s, and at the same time I do not want anything that is significantly larger, especially the depth (H=975, W=250, D=335).

I don't have a price in mind, but am more interested in getting the best value. I guess that I don't really want to look at anything that is so obscure that I would never find any to listen to, but I won't rule anything out.
KRDSM/E - 2 x Tundra Mono - M140

User avatar
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 399
Joined: 2018-01-25 14:12
Location: Milano, Italia

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Matteo » 2019-10-07 20:28

I would consider Martin Logan Motion 20i

M.
LP12/Kore/Akito 2b/ARadikal/Adikt/Slipsik 7-ND5 XS 2-AK/1-A2200-M109 [Silver-K200]

pdcman
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 85
Joined: 2009-11-01 11:19
Location: Wales

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by pdcman » 2019-10-08 20:20

How about PMC 25-23’s?

Diogenes
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: 2019-04-18 22:23

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Diogenes » 2019-10-09 20:46

Hard to make suggestions unless you specify an upper price limit.

TMV
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 62
Joined: 2007-10-01 09:16
Location: Göteborg, Sweden

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by TMV » 2019-10-09 21:02

T1 v6, small & top quality!

User avatar
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 399
Joined: 2018-01-25 14:12
Location: Milano, Italia

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Matteo » 2019-10-09 21:51

M140 are in the 2,500/3,000 territory.

T1 above 5,000 €

M
LP12/Kore/Akito 2b/ARadikal/Adikt/Slipsik 7-ND5 XS 2-AK/1-A2200-M109 [Silver-K200]

anthony
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 651
Joined: 2007-02-04 22:39
Location: UK

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by anthony » 2019-10-10 05:02

Peter Lanky wrote:
2019-10-07 20:26
I have now (I hope) completedthe upgrading of the front end and middle components in the shape of KRDSM-E and Tundra Solos. I am using M140 speakers with upgraded stands and am in no hurry to replace them, but I do like to keep my eye out for a second hand bargain. But what?

Obviously I would only want to consider speakers that are significantly superior to my M140s, and at the same time I do not want anything that is significantly larger, especially the depth (H=975, W=250, D=335).

I don't have a price in mind, but am more interested in getting the best value. I guess that I don't really want to look at anything that is so obscure that I would never find any to listen to, but I won't rule anything out.
Akurate 242.

macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 275
Joined: 2012-04-27 07:58

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by macrotech2 » 2019-10-10 12:48

anthony wrote:
2019-10-10 05:02
Peter Lanky wrote:
2019-10-07 20:26
I have now (I hope) completedthe upgrading of the front end and middle components in the shape of KRDSM-E and Tundra Solos. I am using M140 speakers with upgraded stands and am in no hurry to replace them, but I do like to keep my eye out for a second hand bargain. But what?

Obviously I would only want to consider speakers that are significantly superior to my M140s, and at the same time I do not want anything that is significantly larger, especially the depth (H=975, W=250, D=335).

I don't have a price in mind, but am more interested in getting the best value. I guess that I don't really want to look at anything that is so obscure that I would never find any to listen to, but I won't rule anything out.
Akurate 242.
Agreed (as an ex owner of 242s driven by Tundra Monos and Sagatun Monos, which you should try at some point).
242s are a bargain. Preferably make sure they have the upgraded stands.
KDS/3 Katalyst / Oppo 205 / Sky Q / Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / Akubariks

User avatar
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 252
Joined: 2010-08-30 16:08
Location: Hamburg

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Tendaberry » 2019-10-10 14:52

Another vote for the 242's, a great speaker that just keeps improving with the sources and amps in front.

Peter Lanky
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 2017-03-21 15:18

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Peter Lanky » 2019-10-10 16:16

I have looked at 242s for some time, but have never found a pair that are in mint condition, i.e the same as they looked the day they first came out of the box. That is very important to me. It has never ceased to amaze me that more people do not look after their very expensive speakers more carefully.

I am also looking at the PMCs, but only since starting this topic.
KRDSM/E - 2 x Tundra Mono - M140

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 919
Joined: 2012-03-22 19:47
Location: New England

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by tokenbrit » 2019-10-10 16:22

I liked the Spendor D7 when I heard it with Linn electronics. They should sound even better with your Monos, and maybe a bargain out there to be had now that Spendor has released the D7.2... Right on your size requirements, too, at 980 x 192 x 333mm.

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 689
Joined: 2011-08-30 18:49
Location: North Lincolnshire -UK.
Contact:

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Ozzzy189 » 2019-10-10 21:55

Totem tribe towers? Small, unobtrusive and high WAF. Would be great with tundra/monos.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.

Peter Lanky
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 2017-03-21 15:18

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Peter Lanky » 2019-10-11 08:41

The Spendor's do seem to tick all the boxes. I'll have to take a listening test.
KRDSM/E - 2 x Tundra Mono - M140

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 919
Joined: 2012-03-22 19:47
Location: New England

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by tokenbrit » 2019-10-12 04:14

Peter Lanky wrote:
2019-10-11 08:41
The Spendor's do seem to tick all the boxes. I'll have to take a listening test.
I'd be interested to know what you think of them if you get to audition, especially with your Monos... Spendor dealers are few & far between over here, particularly Spendor - Lejonklou, so I never got to hear the D7s except with Linn Akurate. The Spendors were definitely musical, and sounded like they easily had the potential to improve & demonstrate the benefits of better amps driving them, as would/should be the case with your setup. Best of luck in your search.

Peter Lanky
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 2017-03-21 15:18

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Peter Lanky » 2019-10-12 14:02

So far these have caught my interest if I was buying new:

Kudos Super 20a - £4,550
925 x 200 x 270

Graham Audio Chartwell LS6/f - c£3,000
960 x 320 x 320

Spendor D7.2 - £4,500
980 x 192 x 333

As ever living in Wigan where electricity has only just been installed, it's a distance to find a retailer to listen to them, but I'll work my way round in due course, and if a mint 242 comes on the market, then that's on the radar.

Other nominations will be considered.
KRDSM/E - 2 x Tundra Mono - M140

User avatar
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4417
Joined: 2007-01-30 10:38
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by lejonklou » 2019-10-12 15:06

Peter Lanky wrote:
2019-10-12 14:02
Graham Audio Chartwell LS6/f - c£3,000
960 x 320 x 320
I listened to them and most other models at the X-Fi show in the Netherlands a few weeks ago.

My favorite model was the new LS5/9f. I'm not fond of the look of the feet, but Hexagon Audio who distributes them in the Netherlands and Belgium showed me an alternative foot which looked much nicer.

The important part, though, is that I really enjoyed every kind of music that we played with the LS5/9f. I wouldn't mind trying a pair at home myself.

Starman
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 69
Joined: 2009-01-15 01:07
Location: Lancashire,UK
Contact:

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Starman » 2019-10-12 23:43

Hi Peter,
I am not far away from you Chorley district. I am also looking at good value floor standers.
So far Role Enterprise £4600 . Very good but slightly more than I wish to pay
Fyne Audio 501 approx £1200: 984 x 200 x 320 mm
Quadra chromium 6's, which I really like cost approx £1500, here is a link: The Chromium 8 are also really good
https://sacom.ch/bilder/news/testberich ... ine-EN.pdf

Peter Lanky
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 2017-03-21 15:18

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Peter Lanky » 2019-10-13 10:18

Role Enterprise SE looks interesting, but where on earth do you find somewhere to listen to them?
KRDSM/E - 2 x Tundra Mono - M140

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 578
Joined: 2009-12-10 17:14
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by mrco99 » 2019-10-13 11:26

lejonklou wrote:
2019-10-12 15:06
Peter Lanky wrote:
2019-10-12 14:02
Graham Audio Chartwell LS6/f - c£3,000
960 x 320 x 320
I listened to them and most other models at the X-Fi show in the Netherlands a few weeks ago.

My favorite model was the new LS5/9f. I'm not fond of the look of the feet, but Hexagon Audio who distributes them in the Netherlands and Belgium showed me an alternative foot which looked much nicer.

The important part, though, is that I really enjoyed every kind of music that we played with the LS5/9f. I wouldn't mind trying a pair at home myself.
The Graham Audio LS5/9f is the floorstander version of their most succesful and acknowledged monitor, the BBC 5/9.

We introduced this model to the public and received great feedback and appraisal.
I believe they retail in the UK for £4K and I would hearthily encourage you to put them on your shortlist and have a listen - they go well with all kinds of music, have this lovely GA midrange and just make you wanting to listen to more music.

Now about the feet, yes we did a mockup version straight down instead of the extruding ones and presented this idea to Graham themselves at the show but regrettably they are not able to support this. Mainly because of the feet being an integral part of their loudspeaker design and safety regulations which dictate that the speaker should allow for a 15 degrees tilt without falling over - which explains for the sturdy bases.

I should add that with the somewhat bigger 5/9 floorstander the feet are less apparent than with the smaller LS6f floorstanders.

Another good option would be to order these speakers in black grained version, which has the same (entry) price level as the cherry and oak veneers.

Happy to hear how you get on Peter - it's always a fun and great learning experience when looking for new speakers. As always - let your own ears be the final judge ;-)
Last edited by mrco99 on 2019-10-14 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | Harmonihyllan | NOKTable | QLN

HIDDENSYSTEMS
Active member
Active member
Posts: 187
Joined: 2010-06-27 12:15
Location: Windsor Berkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS » 2019-10-13 22:05

We have just taken on PMC and interestingly one of the demo models we selected is the Twenty 5/ 23. It had something that we really liked. We used to have Graham Audio range. Really like Kudos Audio S20A (soft tweeter), great active option and simple and very familiar with 242s as have at home - as Macrotech says cheap ;-0 Linn speakers are sadly misunderstood by many and had to expand the speaker range - time for change. Also have Linn Akubarik on demo. I’m installing in Yorkshire soon, Wigan’s not far and then swing by Ozzzy in Hull. Contact me via website email if interested in hooking up
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Devialet | Rega | Totem Acoustic | |Kudos | PMC

Peter Lanky
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 2017-03-21 15:18

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Peter Lanky » 2019-10-14 16:59

The Graham Audio LS5/9f looks interesting and appears to be about the right size. Amazing lack of info on it, even on GA's own website.
KRDSM/E - 2 x Tundra Mono - M140

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 563
Joined: 2008-02-08 23:17
Location: This Sweet Old World

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by David Neel » 2019-10-14 17:11

Peter Lanky wrote:
2019-10-14 16:59
The Graham Audio LS5/9f looks interesting and appears to be about the right size. Amazing lack of info on it, even on GA's own website.
I'm very happy with the LS5/9 on the end of Sagatun and Tundra Monos. If you want to investigate the LS5/9f then Brian and Trevors is very close to you. Or you could come and listen to my standmounts.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty.

Peter Lanky
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 2017-03-21 15:18

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Peter Lanky » 2019-10-14 18:53

I'm thinking of paying Brian and Trevor's a visit in the near future. Have your Graham's shown a significant improvement over your Linn speakers? I've now got a pair of Tundra monos and with the KRDSM/E found a significant improvement over the previous setup.
KRDSM/E - 2 x Tundra Mono - M140

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 563
Joined: 2008-02-08 23:17
Location: This Sweet Old World

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by David Neel » 2019-10-14 19:08

Peter Lanky wrote:
2019-10-14 18:53
I'm thinking of paying Brian and Trevor's a visit in the near future. Have your Graham's shown a significant improvement over your Linn speakers? I've now got a pair of Tundra monos and with the KRDSM/E found a significant improvement over the previous setup.
1. Good idea! 2. Very significant, I couldn't go back, and I also preferred them to Akubariks.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty.

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 578
Joined: 2009-12-10 17:14
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by mrco99 » 2019-10-14 22:46

Peter Lanky wrote:
2019-10-14 16:59
The Graham Audio LS5/9f looks interesting and appears to be about the right size. Amazing lack of info on it, even on GA's own website.
The 5/9f is quite a recent model which may explain why it isn't not yet been featured on the GA site.

However you may find some useable information on my website - with the help of GoogleTranslate - and at least its specifications.

https://hexagonaudio.eu/nl/producten/gr ... ls59f.html

And it's US launch has been covered by Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gra ... or-audio-0

Some more pictures of the 5/9f can be found on my instagram page: hexagonaudio.eu
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | Harmonihyllan | NOKTable | QLN

Post Reply