Linn unidisk 2.1 tray hard open

General HiFi discussion, using the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lastsoft

Linn unidisk 2.1 tray hard open

Post by Lastsoft » 2019-09-09 21:51

Hello,
My linn unidisk 2.1 tray recently developed a problem, when i press the ejact button the tray try’s to open and get stuck, i need to pull the tray out and push it back in.
I open it up and noticed that the laser unit mechanism wont go all the way down.
I dont know if its a sensor, motor or board problem.

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,
Shlomi chen.
Linn kinos/av5103/5125 with aktive keilidh/karik/Sondek LP12/trikan/keilidh/av5110/LK100/isobarik.

Zee9

Re: Linn unidisk 2.1 tray hard open

Post by Zee9 » 2019-09-10 16:14

I had a similar problem on my unidisc SC and it turned out to be a voltage issue.
When I did manage to find a Linn engineer who was ready to repair it he changed a few things on it but I remember him mentioning that the tray not opening due to a voltage issue.
UnidiskSC>> Mdsm/1>>(A4200+c3200)>>Aktiv Kabers
Silvers/k600 cable

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK » 2019-09-10 17:39

There are a few things that can cause this. It could be voltages as capacitors age and could cause a voltage drop to the important components. I have also seen several cases in Linn disc spinners where the motor that lifts and lowers the transport fails and it can also sometimes be caused by a bad belt. Linn no longer support disc spinners so your best bet is to find a quality technician who is willing to work on it. Some of the parts are still available from Linn but some aren't, so the technician may need to have a working relationship with a Linn dealer.
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.

Lastsoft

Post by Lastsoft » 2019-09-12 18:26

Hey,
Thanks for you help.
I can see that its not lowering the laser unit all the way down and the tray got stuck on it.
I will try and replacing some caps and see if there is any change.
Will post some photos and let you all know if that worked.
Find a quality tech is no problem, finding one with a linn relation that is an impossible to do.
I do have one that refurbished my av5125 power supply, he is a magician, but a little expensive. The refurb cost me around 100£ to do. Less then a new one( witch is impossible to find) but not as cheap as i hoped...

Best regards.
Shlomi
Linn kinos/av5103/5125 with aktive keilidh/karik/Sondek LP12/trikan/keilidh/av5110/LK100/isobarik.

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK » 2019-09-12 18:38

Actually I would consider a refurb £100 to be quite reasonable. Certainly a lot less that the Linn flat rate fee of $550. I don't think you would get even a simple repair from our local technician for under $125 - $150 and a full refurb would tend to start at $250 and go up depending on what was needed. And he is pretty reasonable compared to many other service places.

You might be able to find a Linn dealer who could get you parts. Linn still has the motor and pulley assembly for most of the disc spinners and the belt for the lift/lower mechanism.
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.