Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by Spannko » 2019-08-15 22:49

Charlie1 wrote:
2019-08-15 22:35
I prefer clip 1, 19-24-23.

I can hear something that sounds like a tap gently running? It's in both clips. I kept thinking it was our tap :)
Ha ha! Brilliant! You must have good hearing. I’ve got a tall radiator which needs bleeding and you can hear it bubbling!

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 » 2019-08-15 22:58

Ha,
Meant to say, the bass seems back to normal levels based on familiarity with the LP.

Also, I keep thinking of the time I wanted to try the M140s with grills off and Fredrik said he expected it to be less musical, which it was - i.e. Linn had tuned them with the grills on. This makes me think of your cabling. I doubt Linn develop their products using any fancy mains cabling and dedicated radials (or whatever they should be called). Perhaps their kit is simply tuned for a factory in Glasgow using a standard cable and cabling architecture for a commercial building.

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko » 2019-08-16 06:54

You might be right about the radials charlie1. My plan is to try and find the best fancy mains circuit topology and then compare that with a ring circuit in a final shoot-out.

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 » 2019-08-16 10:24

beck wrote:
2019-08-15 15:38
The most important and telling comment regarding your setup Charlie1! :-)
I played a bit of Rumours again this morning, specifically 'Dreams'. It's like I've been searching for something for a very long time and I didn't know what it was but here it is now playing in front of me. It's a strange mix of qualities, including some nostalgia for the system I grew up with. It's a combination of superb timing that forms a cohesive whole that is also tuneful enough for me. This is definitely music to my ears.

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck » 2019-08-16 10:46

Charlie1 wrote:
2019-08-16 10:24
beck wrote:The most important and telling comment regarding your setup Charlie1! :-)
I played a bit of Rumours again this morning, specifically 'Dreams'. It's like I've been searching for something for a very long time and I didn't know what it was but here it is now playing in front of me. It's a strange mix of qualities, including some nostalgia for the system I grew up with. It's a combination of superb timing that forms a cohesive whole that is also tuneful enough for me. This is definitely music to my ears.
When you finally get there it feels like home! :-)
............in our thoughts.............

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou » 2019-08-16 23:13

Charlie1 wrote:
2019-08-15 22:58
I doubt Linn develop their products using any fancy mains cabling and dedicated radials (or whatever they should be called). Perhaps their kit is simply tuned for a factory in Glasgow using a standard cable and cabling architecture for a commercial building.
They sure don't. But there's more to it than tuning your gear for a particular power delivery or mains configuration. I have tried tuning one of my switch mode power supplies for a really short power cord. And they are highly tunable, similar to a power amplifier, so my idea was that the sharp and staccato character of the really short power cord might be compensated for by the tuning. When I was finished, I compared my short power cord to the usually-best-European (Shuko) 2.5 m Volex Tongyuan cord. And to my surprise, the 2.5 m Volex Tongyuan was still better!

I call this an intrinsic quality of the power cord. It does something right that isn't - at least not easily - compensated for somewhere else.

Another example is the length of loudspeaker cables. After I had found 2.48 m being optimal for Linn K400 (preferably split into two single wire "black K200"), I decided to try tuning one of my power amps for a really short length of the same loudspeaker cable. So I used a few decimeter, which would be well suited for a loudspeaker with integrated power amps, and tuned all the crucial parameters that determine the pace, the attack and the decay, of the power amplifier. What happened when I later tried a longer speaker cable? You guessed it, the 2.48 m "black K200" was still better!

Once again, the 2.48 m loudspeaker cable appeared to have intrinsic qualities that wasn't - at least not easily - compensated for.

Funny how the amps seem to want around 2.5 m of cables at each end. Is that some kind of magical number? No, as if you change to a North American 18 gauge power cord and run the amp at 115 Volts, the best length is slightly below 2 m.

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko » 2019-08-17 18:00

Re: Linns test rigs. I wouldn’t be so sure guys - unless you have incontrovertible evidence of course!

There is evidence that Linn have looked a little deeper into how best to power their systems when Philbo once posted a photo of his mains wiring. On the recommendation of the R&D team, he’d made a hydra out of Linn power cables into a 30A connector, into a short length of twin and earth, into an MK plug. Linn also made a special version of the Akurate DS for the Japanese market to cope with the demands of their local circuit topologies. I’d be very surprised if they didn’t knock up a test rig to make sure it worked ok - but, of course, I don’t have any incontrovertible evidence for that either!