New IsobariK speaker?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I just wanted to mention that we feel that our MIsos sound quite good overall and we are running them passive. We don't have a lot of speakers in that price range but I definitely like them quite a bit better than the Majik 140s which are my favorite at $3000 and they certainly have a lot deeper yet tuneful bass. We haven't fully evaluated them in different systems or rooms yet but in our smaller room with Majik amps they are doing just fine so they can really only go up from here.

I did want to mention an interesting anomaly with our pair that might apply to some others out there (the only indicator of this is the label on the carton). We ordered our MIsos passive yet they came in configured for Isobarik Aktiv operation. In this configuration they will play when connected as you normally would a passive speaker but the Isobarik bass drivers will be fed a full range signal instead of just the information below 120Hz as they are supposed to. Needless to say they really don't sound very good at all this way. Since I was away on vacation when they came in and nobody here was 100% comfortable making the conversion they were left to burn in this way and didn't perform well when I first heard them. I downloaded the instructions for converting from passive to Aktiv and despite the weakness of the instructions (the color coded wiring harnesses were shown in black and white photos!) I converted them back to passive. Now they sounded quite good once properly placed in the room and they have been doing so ever since. It is easy to find out without removing the crossover how they are wired internally - you just remove the linking piece and connect directly to the bass connection. If what comes out has a fair bit of midrange to it you are wired Isobarik Aktiv, if it is only low bass then you are wired passive. Some of these variable early reports make me wonder if more mis-wired MIsos escaped from Glasgow unnoticed?

Regardless of the reasons for the varying reports, you can count us among those who feel the MIsos are a very good speaker for the money.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote: Some of these variable early reports make me wonder if more mis-wired MIsos escaped from Glasgow unnoticed?
Not unlikely!
I have to check this next time I visit the the Linn dealer.
Thanks for the heads-up.
It's all about musical understanding!
Lingo

Post by Lingo »

ThomasOK wrote:It is easy to find out without removing the crossover how they are wired internally
I don't suppose you noticed what type of wire Linn use for the internal wiring? I've heard that it's Van Damme 2.5?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lingo wrote:I don't suppose you noticed what type of wire Linn use for the internal wiring? I've heard that it's Van Damme 2.5?
I don't know about Miso's, but the Akurate speakers are wired with Van Damme speaker cable. One type for bass drivers and a thinner one for the other ranges.

I have tried those Van Damme cables between power amp and loudspeakers and they are far below K400 in performance.
Lingo

Post by Lingo »

I was going to get some Van Damme cable, but now I'm not so sure.