Is Spotify all of a sudden sounding worse these days ?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Is Spotify all of a sudden sounding worse these days ?

Post by Lego »

Anyone noticed a drop in sound quality in Spotify !?
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Is Spotify all of a sudden sounding worse these days ?

Post by matthias »

Not that I am aware of, I use the latest version 1.2.19 on my Macbook.
Are you referring to one of the mobile versions?
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Noticed yesterday on the mobile version that it seemed a bit underwhelming thought it was my earphones ,then through the hifi this morning it was the same, streaming from an Ipad1 mini.There's been an update recently and there are some changes on the app.

What amazes me is not that there are numerous updates etc to Spotify but the fact that most people don't seem to notice any change in sound quality ,better or worse...Nice 😁
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Did you check your settings?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6130

My impression so far is that the later versions sound better, considering long-term not directly from version to version.
Matt

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

matthias wrote: 2023-09-15 11:59 Did you check your settings?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6130

My impression so far is that the later versions sound better, considering long-term not directly from version to version.
Settings are where they should be .I did notice an improvement earlier in the year but this time definitely worse.Its good you are finding the sound is improving.
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Lego, I am only referring to the Spotify MacOS version. You can try to reboot your router.
BTW, updated to 1.2.20 today, not worse than the last one.
Matt

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

matthias wrote: 2023-09-15 13:00 Lego, I am only referring to the Spotify MacOS version. You can try to reboot your router.
BTW, updated to 1.2.20 today, not worse than the last one.
I hear you Matt,so the sound quality you have is identical to previous version.Thats interesting,thanks .
I know that tune
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Spotify releases updates quite often. So far I haven't heard any negative influence. There is only a short interrupt when the update is installed and SF immediately starts at the same point as it left off. No deterioration in sound discovered so far.
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I haven't really noticed any loss of quality lately. Just a couple of days ago I upgraded to 8.8.70.643 on my iPad Mini6 and iPhone 8+ (which I rarely use for streaming). I switched to a different jazz playlist so I can't be definitive on it but when I started playing after the upgrade I thought it had improved, it just sounded really good. The next day an audio friend came over and said that the Källa was sounding really good - it seemed better to him than the last time he heard it. So no complaints here on the latest iOS upgrade.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

For better or worse, are you as spotify users out of control yourselves?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Arjen wrote: 2023-09-20 23:27 For better or worse, are you as spotify users out of control yourselves?
Yes ,we have no control.
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Lego wrote: 2023-09-21 11:05
Arjen wrote: 2023-09-20 23:27 For better or worse, are you as spotify users out of control yourselves?
Yes ,we have no control.
The competition between streaming services helps.
Matt

Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Upgraded my phone and iPad to iOS 17 and it sounds great at my home; even my girlfriend noticed a jump in musicality 😃
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Not entirely understandable to me. Spotify has released several updates in the last few weeks/months. Not one has worsened or improved the quality of music playback. Previously the 16.0.? installed. Was it an updated from the previous version to 17.0.1?
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote: 2024-03-11 17:28 Apple Music vs Spotify:

https://audiophile.no/nb-no/stig-arne-s ... 3-sad-0124
Cool!

Stig Arne Skilbrei actually listens to find out which service sounds the best.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Can we have a synopsis please? For some strange reason, Google Translate can’t convert Norwegian to English 🤷‍♂️
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Spannko wrote: 2024-03-11 21:40 Can we have a synopsis please? For some strange reason, Google Translate can’t convert Norwegian to English 🤷‍♂️
Google Translation:
Spotify
Many years ago, when streaming was something new, I chose to install Spotify, as it was the one "everyone" used. After familiarizing myself with its use, I upgraded to the payment version Premium, which has higher quality, i.e. 320Kbps, compared to the advertising version's 128Kbps. After Terje made me aware of the setting options and chose the highest possible quality, I have been quite satisfied. But as an Apple user, it was natural to try out Apple Music (formerly iTunes), because this is so-called lossless, i.e. CD quality (1411Kbps) or better. In the latter, I have subscribed to both services, in order to be able to compare them with each other. And the hope has been that I can conclude which of them is the best, or at least who I like best. I don't need more than a streaming service, but I want to use the best one.

Apple Music - first trial
The first time I compared, I "automatically" assumed that Apple was the best, since it is lossless (lossless, i.e. uncompressed), while Spotify is not. A common trap to fall into. But a review with Helge as a bystander made me reconsider. In contrast to several of our politicians, Helge is blunt and relentlessly honest, and stubbornly claimed that Spotify was better. I gradually realized that he was right. And to save my own skin, I must add that I actually WAS a little doubtful - and therefore decided to investigate. As I wrote in the November diary, it was uncertain whether I had listened to the newest edition of Apple Music, due to an aging Mac Pro.

Apple Music - second trial
I fast forward: Now I have listened to the latest version, I must start from the beginning, on a brand new Mac, installed by an expert. I once again assumed that it would sound better than Spotify, but this time I was better off, and there were 4 listeners present. I was dissatisfied with the sound from Apple, and ordered a switch to Spotify. 3 out of 4 were completely clear that Spotify sounded better, the fourth still a bit confused, understandably enough, because Spotify has, on paper, a lower resolution and should therefore sound worse. They promised some time ago to come up with CD quality (1411kbps), but this has not happened. I have no idea why. They possibly think that the quality is good enough, and/or that the customers are satisfied. It was also interesting to read Stavanger Aftenblad's article "few hear the difference between CD quality and compressed music". The key word here is "few".

The result surprised everyone. Apple Music had a messy midrange, less depth in perspective, and a clearly emphasized treble, sometimes like a whiplash. And I'm not talking about small differences, such as a slightly brighter or slightly darker sound, and the like. Things that can be explained with taste and pleasure. No, Spotify is easier. Apple simply didn't sound good, it sounded distorted. There was no disagreement about that. But who can explain it?

Bad network?
I call my internet provider to check what speed I have on the internet (fibre), for fear that I don't have enough speed to stream losslessly from eg Apple or Tidal. "500mbps" they say (which is the best "standard package"), and later call a technician to confirm that it should be plenty. 1000mbps is the next and highest quality, which is therefore only suitable for professional users (game -builders and architects, for example).This is also twice as expensive per month, so I would prefer to avoid this if I can. And tonight I spoke to a real radio repairman who also claims that 500mbps is more than enough Then I choose to believe it.

Assessment
Since Apple disappoints, I go back to Spotify. I am fully aware that it is common to claim that Apple Music is the best, but how much have they listened to? I suspect that they draw conclusions based on data alone, or just chatter after the others. It is still a mystery that Apple does not out-compete Spotify after two rounds of relatively thorough testing, but as the repairer says "it is not necessarily always loss-free what they claim is loss-free". Digital technology is complicated, and I am not an engineer. Therefore, I must do as I usually do, I listen, and must trust what I hear. And when the fellow listeners also agree, I am confident in presenting the result, regardless of what others out there might think.

Have I done something wrong?
The result is at odds with what is often claimed online. Can it be imagined that there is something here at home that causes me to get an "untypical" result? Could it be something with the system? Not impossible, but what could it be? The system is simple but with good components, and tried and tested. No fix faxing or unnecessarily complicated solutions, and it is not unlike what many others use. No objections from Engineer Olsen. The first and second attempts have also been carried out with two completely different systems, only the DAC is the same. But right enough in the same house. I have turned over many, if not all, stones, and for the time being, trust the result. For the second time besides. But you never know what the next diary may bring. We welcome feedback from the readers!
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Very interesting article. Yet another indication that what works works.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.