Which App ? (Streaming + Local)

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

Lio

Which App ? (Streaming + Local)

Post by Lio »

Hello !
New to this Forum and happy Lejonklou user from France.
I started with a Superkikkin and I am using both an Innuos Zen storing my CD library on its SSD and about to get my Källa in a few days (replacing my Linn streamer) + Tundra 3s sending to a pair of Grahams LS5/9f
I am using Qobuz mostly for streaming and want to listen to my local files too in the simplest possible way.
I am looking for feedback / experience as to people's preferred app fo consolidating streaming and local - sound wise I have not tested this in real life yet bu twill soon.
It might all turn out in a UI preference debate.
I have played a little with MConnect but keen to get people's opinion here .
Best from Provence
Lio
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Which App ? (Streaming + Local)

Post by lejonklou »

Welcome to the forum, Lio!

I don’t have any answer to your question, as my NAS is disconnected since many months. Although there are many optimally ripped albums on it, I felt the difference in sound quality compared to Qobuz and Spotify was so small that it wasn’t worth the hassle. In addition, disconnecting the NAS made the whole system sound better, as the recommended setup of Källa can be followed, which makes a big positive difference.
https://www.lejonklou.com/tips/recommended-setup/

If I had a lot of unique recordings on that NAS, I would probably feel it worthwhile having it connected, so I’m not trying to convince you to follow my example.

What we did do a while back was to compare the various apps for playing files from a NAS, and we found that musically, they all performed the same. So I believe you’re right when you say it might boil down to which one has the best user interface.

I’m hoping someone else can chime in here and share their experiences.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Hi Lio

Like you, I was using Qobuz and a NAS drive, before I got a Kalla.
Not what you asked, but like Fredrik, I haven’t used the NAS drive since and have also completely removed it from the network. It’s so much easier (and I find more robust) to stream everything from Qobuz, again with the proviso that Qobuz has everything you need.

You’re in for a treat when you get your new Lejonklou boxes in place!

UPDATE: I haven’t used it for ages, until just now, but I have foobar2000 on my iPad mini, which I’m using to store and play a couple of albums which weren’t on Qobuz. I copied the ripped files from the NAS drive to the iPad mini and stored them in the local foobar folder. Foobar can also access network or cloud files.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Lio

Post by Lio »

This is very helpful !
Thank you
I am SO looking forward to get my Källa in place and might very well follow your path
I'm an ex Apple exec so ... the Källa concept is even more appealing to me ;)
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Same story here, in the past used all the complexity of NAS drives, streaming software, optimized power supplies etc etc etc.

Then came Kalla, so sold everything.... Now just running on a Kalla with Spotify, its that simple :)
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

I mainly use Spotify streamed from my iPad Mini with my Kalla to my KDSM Hub. I also have a QNAP NAS which I have owned for 16 years now and always on ! The only problem with Spotify is that it does not have every artist available (Neil Young is one). I also use the VLC app on the iPad and that can play any music on the NAS and ‘airplays’ to my Kalla. But more importantly, I can also download any music from the NAS to my iPad and play direct to the Kalla. So my Neil Young albums are on the iPad.
Lio

Post by Lio »

Thank you - very clear and helpful.
I'll keep using the Innuos for now as some titles I really like are not on Qobuz and will take it from here
I like "less is more" a lot
TMV

Post by TMV »

lejonklou wrote: 2024-01-07 16:18 I don’t have any answer to your question, as my NAS is disconnected since many months. Although there are many optimally ripped albums on it, I felt the difference in sound quality compared to Qobuz and Spotify was so small that it wasn’t worth the hassle. In addition, disconnecting the NAS made the whole system sound better, as the recommended setup of Källa can be followed, which makes a big positive difference.
https://www.lejonklou.com/tips/recommended-setup/
I use a third Amplify HD for my NAS and without proper comparison I think this is significantly better. Anyone else tried?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Can you explain how you connect everything, TMV?

If possible with a sketch like the recommended setup.
TMV

Post by TMV »

Simple picture only for the data connections. I have only one Ethernet cable connected to each HD since someone mentioned that more did degrade. No switch between HD and Källa just like picture, but should probably try.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you! But how are they powered?
TMV

Post by TMV »

lejonklou wrote: 2024-01-22 22:35 Thank you! But how are they powered?
Like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you TMV! I need to try this.

And you should try a GS108T switch in between Amplifi and Källa, powered by the “digital power strip” that now feeds Amplifi, Amplifi and NAS. I think you will like it a lot.
TMV

Post by TMV »

lejonklou wrote: 2024-01-27 16:10 And you should try a GS108T switch in between Amplifi and Källa, powered by the “digital power strip” that now feeds Amplifi, Amplifi and NAS. I think you will like it a lot.
Yes, I have to try that! Used a GS108T before but now connected to more stuff so I just connected the Amplifi HD to Källa to try. There are more improvements to do, the NAS + Amplifi HD should maybe also be moved to the internet side too.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

Something to try: set your Netgear switch to 100Mbps instead of auto (which ends up 1000Mbps) I think it's an improvement, because the network connection is at a lower rate. Perfectly fine data rate for music, maybe not so much for video. I went into the Netgear web interface and set all ports to 100Mbps Full Duplex.

I found this when I got an extra Amplifi to have less connections per box. The ports were dirty and wouldn't hold a 1000Mbps connection, it would drop to 100Mbps. I have this one feeding the Netgear switch and found it better in 100Mbps. I've cleaned the ports and can maintain 1000Mbps.

I don't think the port speed is configurable in the Amplifi.

Let me know if you agree.

I'm using a NAS as primary source. It plays fine, but radio Paradise stutters. Don't know how Kalla would go, I'm using Volumio on a Hakai.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

After spending more time with the change, it's a step down. So, nevermind.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You beat me to it, fatjulio!

Thanks for reporting.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Am I right in thinking that some 4/5G routers sound better when connected directly to Källa and the Amplifi HD benefits from the addition of a 108T between the HD and Källa?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes that seems correct.

It’s really simple to test whether the switch benefits or not, as you just have to pause the music and change the cables from either going through the switch or direct to Källa. Källa doesn’t mind the connection being temporarily broken, as there is no unnecessary traffic taking place when the music is paused.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Thank you Fredrik. The obvious question then is what’s best? 4/5G directly to Källa or wired/cable internet through Amplifi HD and GS108T? I’ve heard David Neal’s 4/5G connection and it was excellent, even though it went through a GS108T. I’m currently running a 4/5G router directly into Källa and I’m sure it’s more musical than my previous cable internet connection. Unfortunately, I can’t go back and compare due to the wired Ethernet connection to my room being cut through during a recent redecoration.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Spannko, I suggest you try adding a GS108T (or 308). I've just tried going direct from my 4G router (Huawei B535-333) and quickly re-inserted a GS108T. It will be interesting to see if your 4G router produces a different result...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

David Neel wrote: 2024-02-20 14:39 Spannko, I suggest you try adding a GS108T (or 308). I've just tried going direct from my 4G router (Huawei B535-333) and quickly re-inserted a GS108T. It will be interesting to see if your 4G router produces a different result...
I think I have a spare GS108T I could lend for tests
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
Lio

Post by Lio »

Finally got my complete setup in place last week and I am over the moon !
I have tried a couple of iOS apps to play local files from the Innuos NAS

Källa
GS108 T hub (FTTH Modem to Hub - Hub to Källa)
SuperKikkin
Tundra 3 monos
Innuos Mini Zen 3 (SSD NAS)
Graham LS 5/9f
Chord Shawline RJ45 cabling, Linn modulation black cables and LK400 Speaker cables soldered for single wiring.

After a few trials I come to the conclusion that the best app to drive the NAS files to play on the Källa is MConnect HD from Conversdigital (Apple AppStore). It is not beautiful (stretched iPhone app on iPad), but while basic it does the job well and fast, search is ok, discovery of storage sources is ok too.
It sells for 6.99 euros

With that said the Qobuz streaming to the Källa is simply incredible and apart from a few titles on my NAS, streaming rules now.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

I’m mainly a Linn streamer but am very strongly considering the kalla. I have a bunch of music that’s not on Spotify or Qobuz that I access via minimserver. & the Linn app. The music is on a HD that’s connected to a Mac mini running minim server.

I’m curious how I would access the music via a kalla. Downloading the files to my iPhone locally is unfortunately not an option.
1. LP12/Selekt/AK/0(d)/TS 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
2. WiiM/AK/1(d)/TS 2.2/Kan II
3. Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

springwood64 wrote: 2024-02-20 14:51
David Neel wrote: 2024-02-20 14:39 Spannko, I suggest you try adding a GS108T (or 308). I've just tried going direct from my 4G router (Huawei B535-333) and quickly re-inserted a GS108T. It will be interesting to see if your 4G router produces a different result...
I think I have a spare GS108T I could lend for tests
Sorry for the late reply Pete. I totally missed this! I’ve got quite a few different switches including a couple of 108T’s, so thank you for the offer.