Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-11-17 03:04 Leaning towards Higher: Lower is rhythmic, but Higher feels more musical...
This got me curios. If Higher is more musical, how could Lower be more rhythmic? Is there a cheat that makes it appear rhythmic?
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-17 07:17
tokenbrit wrote: 2022-11-17 03:04 Leaning towards Higher: Lower is rhythmic, but Higher feels more musical...
This got me curios. If Higher is more musical, how could Lower be more rhythmic? Is there a cheat that makes it appear rhythmic?
I hear the opposite of Tokenbrit and Arjen. To me Higher has the sharper, more defined leading edges to the notes, leading to a perception of a more purposeful rhythm. Lower seems to have a more relaxed flow, but with less defined sense of rhythm. It seems like combining the relaxed flow of Lower with a more defined rhythm of Higher could be quite nice.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-17 00:24 Ok, let’s see what you think of these two:

Lower: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuuyg8h3uu5tt ... r.mov?dl=0

Higher:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/awrmf6bcmfbwc ... r.mov?dl=0
I picked up two things:
1. My immediate response to lower was an impulse to move to the music, but this was not so strong for higher
2. I heard a bit of a disharmony on the guitar on both, but on lower this seems to work for the music, and less so on higher
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

To me “Higher” has a flow I like to dive into. It feels more human to me. “Lower” try too hard to be precise………
Playing cd’s…………
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

beck wrote: 2022-11-17 08:11 To me “Higher” has a flow I like to dive into. It feels more human to me. “Lower” try too hard to be precise………
I feel the same as Beck, I agree with Markiteight to try the in-between making the high definition of the Lower more smooth, “human” ( Beck), but holding on to the precise.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I prefer higher, it has a better flow. Lower sounds a bit sluggish with a slightly heavyhanded drumbeat.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Higher for me too. My initial and instinctive impression was that I didn’t like Lower, it sounds sluggish, slurred and off key. Higher sounds more natural (tune wise) and alive. Personally, I wouldn’t like any of Lowers inharmonicity blended into Higher!
Last edited by Spannko on 2022-11-17 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Higher:
For me "Lower", deffinetly more musical.
Bend is playing together and easier to folow the tune, comparing to "Higher" where looks that everyone is separate ...
Music First ...
Vlado
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-17 07:17
The rhythm comment was based on a feeling of Lower having less ringing on the initial guitar, so being easier to pick the beat, but the music being less together & expressive overall as it develops... As to a "cheat": maybe a simpler(?) presentation that appears rhythmic but loses something of the music, which is retained or just comes across better in Higher.

A metronome is rhythmic; it's not musical until you build on it... Higher builds better than Lower for me. No idea if this makes sense or clicks with others :?
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2022-11-17 19:39, edited 3 times in total.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Lower
Higher
For me certainly not a day and night difference. I switched countless times between both and found not a clear winner.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-11-10 11:27 Here's the next step in my support journey, do you prefer A or C? Don't forget to change the quality to HD before playing.

A: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jc6n7kssn1ch ... A.mov?dl=0
C: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5mnksflt3zfj ... C.mov?dl=0
Better late than never, here's the reveal: A is the ADSM in the Quadraspire rack with an extra Baltic birch board supported by 4 x IsoAcoustics pucks. C is the ADSM on the rack without an extra board.
Unlike most of you I prefer A in the room and in the clips on an iMac. Here's why: The track "Cirandar" has a lightly bouncing, lilting rhythm, that turns to slightly plodding in the C clip. Also the ethereal guitar line with nice overtones turns flat in the C clip and loses some of its beauty.
That said, the matter isn't closed and the search for alternatives to the IsoAcoustics will go on.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

"lejonklou wrote:
Ok, let’s see what you think of these two:
Lower
Higher"

-I like the song more when listening to Lower.
------------

Tendaberry wrote:
"Unlike most of you I prefer A in the room and in the clips on an iMac."

-I'm glad I wasn't alone to prefer A. Thought I had absolutely lost my tune-dem skills when everyone else voted B or C..
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm liking higher better. They are both good and make me move to the music but Higher just seems to have more "there" there.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
jewa

Post by jewa »

Higher is higher!!

Lower, again feels a little sad in comparison/band is playing a little sleepy.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lower makes more sense to my mind. I find it more tuneful, more rhythmic and more enjoyable. Higher seems a bit flat by comparison.

I also wonder if you're on a knife edge in terms of what makes folks tick...
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-11-17 15:23 A metronome is rhythmic; it's not musical until you build on it... Higher builds better than Lower for me. No idea if this makes sense or clicks with others :?
I often hear better rhythm and timing in one product but more tunefulness and emotion in another.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Higher:
Now after all the comments, which road you will drive Fredrik, the high road or the low road? Or will it be the middle of the road?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you all for your comments! Very helpful.

I agree with Charlie that we’re on the knife edge here. Listening in the room reveals more, but the clips on Dropbox sound pretty close to the originals. A little murkier perhaps, which I don’t think favours Lower.

There was 0.3 ohms between Lower and Higher. I skipped the exact numbers, because with the new measuring setting, 997 and 998 were both a little lower than exactly 997.0 and 998.0.

I have rigged a value in between Lower and Higher. Will see if I can find the time to record the final comparison, as I’m now moving my lab to larger premises.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width!

Post by Spannko »

Here’s an update on my DIY loudspeaker project. I ordered a bunch of components, but unfortunately there was a miscommunication with the order, so for my first passive crossover attempt I’ve had to make compromises which have resulted in a frequency response only a mother could love! The components I need will be with me soon, but in the meantime here’s where I’ve got to.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0RG6XBubJupccw

PS. If you can somehow ignore the frequency response and stick with it to the end, hopefully you’ll get into the groove and get an idea of what I’m trying to achieve 🤞
Last edited by Spannko on 2022-11-19 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-18 21:33 Thank you all for your comments! Very helpful.

I agree with Charlie that we’re on the knife edge here. Listening in the room reveals more, but the clips on Dropbox sound pretty close to the originals. A little murkier perhaps, which I don’t think favours Lower.

There was 0.3 ohms between Lower and Higher. I skipped the exact numbers, because with the new measuring setting, 997 and 998 were both a little lower than exactly 997.0 and 998.0.

I have rigged a value in between Lower and Higher. Will see if I can find the time to record the final comparison, as I’m now moving my lab to larger premises.
More promises to expect from larger premises? Success Fredrik.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width!

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote: 2022-11-18 22:09 Here’s an update on my DIY loudspeaker project. I ordered a bunch of components, but unfortunately there was a miscommunication with the order, so for my first passive crossover attempt I’ve had to make compromises which have resulted in a frequency response only a mother could love! The components I need will be with me soon, but in the meantime here’s where I’ve got to.

That's quite harsh. The previous clip I heard of them was really good though so assume this is just the recording or the wrong crossover components.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-11-19 00:35
Spannko wrote: 2022-11-18 22:09 Here’s an update on my DIY loudspeaker project. I ordered a bunch of components, but unfortunately there was a miscommunication with the order, so for my first passive crossover attempt I’ve had to make compromises which have resulted in a frequency response only a mother could love! The components I need will be with me soon, but in the meantime here’s where I’ve got to.

That's quite harsh. The previous clip I heard of them was really good though so assume this is just the recording or the wrong crossover components.
You’re right, it is a bit harsh and not a particularly easy listen. The mid-range is pushed really forward and until I get some more components, there’s nothing I can do about it. TBH, I was hoping that the musicality would make it less objectionable. Maybe I was wrong! Even so, I’ve had fun listening to it tonight, even though a couple of the crossover components have had only a few hours burn in.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

PS. If you can somehow ignore the frequency response and stick with it to the end, hopefully you’ll get into the groove and get an idea of what I’m trying to achieve 🤞
Interesting. You do get hit with the brightness right off the bat. But the presentation had me playing drums on the desk and I found after a while that the brightness faded from my notice. It will be good to hear where you take your Larsen knockoffs once you have the proper crossover components.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: 2022-11-18 22:09 .. DIY loudspeaker project .. first passive crossover attempt .. resulted in a frequency response only a mother could love!
Can you hear me, mother? Sorry, I can't hear you over these Spannkin' speakers... :)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-11-19 00:53 .. It will be good to hear where you take your Larsen knockoffs...
Is that Larseny? Not if they're bookshelf speakers - then it's just Petit Larseny :D