Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Entity MC

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Fredrik!

I know Linn tried several changes so not exactly the same.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Indeed interesting post about Slipsik/Entity Fredrik. Entity might perform a different level, maybe another SUT than the Lundahl 1971 opens up more Slipsik qualities? Are there plans for a Entity competing Slipsik 9 in the future built by selected components as you did with the Singularity/Entity development? Or is the Slipsik 7.1/ Slipsik 8 the maximum effort and result to support a good MM cartridge?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-06-30 10:17 I would be happy to try a Koil and a Kendo to hear how they perform and find the optimal load for them.

Thomas found Ekstatik to sound most musical at 82 Ohms/10 nF, so perhaps Kendo is around that too. I have never tested various loads on an AT-OC9, so I have no idea what it “wants”. Hopefully Koil is more fun than OC9, though.

If necessary, I could shift all three loads on Entity, either upwards or downwards. It’s unlikely to ever get more than three options, though. I think it’s enough and that the difference between the current 90, 120 and 180 Ohm is quite subtle.
I wanted to mention that I found the Ekstatik was most musical at 82 Ohms/10 nF on the SINGularity. Interestingly I found it was most musical on the Entity 1.1 at the 120 Ohms setting rather than the 90 Ohm setting that you would think would be better. This was first mentioned to me by a customer, and forum member, who had tried all three settings and found 120 Ohms best on his Ekstatik. As the technical specifications for the Kendo and Ekstatik, which are both made by EMT, are the same in regards to coil type, output level and recommended load, as well as tracking force, I would expect the optimum load to be the same on both. The Koil has a recommended 100 Ohm load (as Linn also lists for the Ekstatik and Kendo) so I expect one of the existing Entity settings will be pretty close to optimal for it as well.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-06-30 18:04 The Koil has a recommended 100 Ohm load (as Linn also lists for the Ekstatik and Kendo) so I expect one of the existing Entity settings will be pretty close to optimal for it as well.
Thanks Tom!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Arjen wrote: 2022-06-30 16:13 Entity might perform a different level, maybe another SUT than the Lundahl 1971 opens up more Slipsik qualities?
There are indeed some very exclusive ones out there. The question is if they can play a tune or if they just have a spectacular sound. After decades of being disappointed with how ultra expensive audiophile equipment plays music, I'm skeptical.
Arjen wrote: 2022-06-30 16:13Are there plans for a Entity competing Slipsik 9 in the future built by selected components as you did with the Singularity/Entity development? Or is the Slipsik 7.1/ Slipsik 8 the maximum effort and result to support a good MM cartridge?
Entity is a rather complex design with lots of components, while Slipsik is simple and relies on the components having a very narrow selection. The narrow selection is actually necessary for Slipsik to work properly. So it's not just a matter of it sounding a little worse, it would become unstable and sound terrible without the measure-and-select process.

So with Slipsik, in particular from model 6 and up, I had already taken the road of using very narrow selections. With model 8 I pushed it as far as I believe makes any sense. So to make a model 9, I need to come up with a new idea that changes some part of the design. Currently I have no such ideas.
Peder

Post by Peder »

🔶 A quick question without having to look in the thread.

How long "burn-in" time does Entity need....
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Peder wrote: 2022-07-13 14:29 🔶 A quick question without having to look in the thread.

I will leave this question for owners to answer, because I am not particularly sensitive to “burn in” phenomena.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I'm not real sure how much time the "burn-in" takes, but I didn't notice any significant sound change after being on for a few days.
lejonklou wrote: 2022-07-13 15:14
Peder wrote: 2022-07-13 14:29 🔶 A quick question without having to look in the thread.

I will leave this question for owners to answer, because I am not particularly sensitive to “burn in” phenomena.
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I find it sounds very good right out of the box but I would say it is probably pretty completely settled in after 100-150 hours.
The LP12 Whisperer
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I have tracked it till 70 hours where I could hear change. To the end of that 70 hours mainly in the presentation of the bass. Not much more after that so 100-150 hours I would subscribe to.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Congratulations again to Fredrik!

In the current issue of Stereophile (October 2022 Vol. 45 No. 10) the Entity 1.1 has been listed in the Class A section of the 2022 Recommended Components listings. It was given a very nice writeup. I was going to link to the listings online but they made some errors in the listing and the Entity doesn't yet show up. An EMT unit in that section also is missing, I haven't checked thoroughly to see what others are missing as well. Hopefully that will be corrected soon.

For now I am reposting the link to the original review from the July issue.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/lej ... eamplifier
The LP12 Whisperer
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Congratulations Fredrik

M.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Here is the excerpt from the current Stereophile issue (Vol. 45, No. 10)

Entity-Stereophile Kopie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Klimax LP12 (Rad 2; Ekst), Urika II, NG-KSH, 2x KEB (Organik), Silvers, 2x A4200, K400, Komris
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Congratulations Fredrik!
Perfect!!!
Music First ...
Vlado
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Congrats Fredrik,
the introduction of the review is little bit strange though.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

matthias wrote: 2022-09-07 12:50
Congrats Fredrik,
the introduction of the review is little bit strange though.
Congrats too Fredrik. The introduction might be strange, but…..
I thought let me play also Crosby, Stills and Nash “Helpless Hoping” (UK pressing K40033)on my humble Lenco L76/S, Jelco arm, Nagaoka MP 300 and JNP500 Stylus and the Slipsik 7.1. Same listening experience: three voices beautifully spread wide and tall, breathtaking too. Which made me think not of Buddha but of Jesus Christ (0 BC). Jesus Christ, what a good sound, what a good Phono, a Lejonklou too! Alex Halberstadt is asking for more Lejonklou products to review, why not make a comparison the Slipsik MM and Entity MC on the same gear, only with different high end MM and MC cartridges, or Slipsik and a good step up with than same MC cartridge.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Thanks, Pedro, for posting that up here as I am unable to do so. As to the introduction to the review, Fredrik and I both quite enjoyed it.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hi Arjen and thanks for the comments. No question that a Lejonklou phono stage will bring the music to life with most phono cartridges. There are exceptions that need less gain than the SINGularity/Entity but more gain and different resistance than a Slipsik/Gaio. For those some of my dealers and customers have found a Slipsik with the proper matching transformer is a winning combination.

As to Alex and other Lejonklou gear he wanted to hear, he presently has a Källa to listen to. He has requested and I have provided advice from Fredrik and the forum as to best practices on networking setup, devices and cabling as well as optimizing Spotify so he will be able to see what it can really do. I don't think we will see a full review as Stereophile may feel it is too close together for a small brand. But I understand Alex will have his own Stereophile column as well as doing reviews so we can expect to hear how he likes Källa in the future. It should be interesting to see what he thinks.
The LP12 Whisperer
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

Matteo wrote: 2020-04-20 14:07
Efraim roots wrote: 2020-02-18 23:35 I have used Linn Uphorik with the black mogami ekos SE XLR T-Kable as recommended by the designer of Uphorik. I have used Uphorik almost since it came out and loved it year after year. XLR T-Kable was a very nice feature and sounded great as replacement for my original grey ekos SE t-kable which started to humm a few years ago.

Now I changed to a brand new grey Akito T-Kable and Lejonklou Entity! Also with brand new signal cables from entity to Boazu and had it up and running almost 4 weeks now. It feels rather stable now but it's certainly has been ups and downs on the way, From sounding over ripe to unripe and now just sounds ripe :) I guess a lot of these effects also come from the new cables. However I very happy with sound the new configuration! Entity make music so expansive, nuanced, emotional and alive! Very engaging but also very harmonious. Just so right musically and a fabulous sound too. I couldn't be happier. It has taken my system to a new level and I had lots of joy and dancing already. Really exceptional!
The XLR black t-kable is awful
Sorry I just re-read this thread and did see my own post had a reply.

I just want to answer to this, since this is a forum where we have a concept of reality that a component actually is good or not good. It's not just a matter of opinion. AND the XLR black t-kable is NOT awful if you use it as intended.

If you use Uphorik I think the Black XLR T-kable is the way to go. Especially impressive how well it worked with the Adikt. And thats not a statement of "matching" components sound, it's about the new concept of wiring makes large benfits with the Adikt MM.

I personally lived with Uphorik and original ("the best", lejonklou way) T-Kable with older Linn silver connectors, the newer black T-kable RCA and the black T-kable XLR. First and last mentioned I had for several years each, the Black RCA I had a few months.

The Uphorik is a very much decent phonostage! Isn't it? The designer says it's intended to be used with the black t-kable xlr for the most musical result. With the t-kables available from Linn today I personally believe he's correct, but I'm not fully sure compared to the Akito t-kable (which I use now with Entity) which is the common answer on this forum. The thing I'm sure about though is that the black T-kable XLR is not awful.
the players of instruments shall be there..
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I wonder how Entity can be so good in comparison to Urika? I never tried to compare but after your reports in this thread I think consensus is that Entity is much better? Everyone agree?

I mean Urika has the optimal wiring to input of the phonostage, there is a very good platform for the phonostage on the trampolin, and the LP12 has the best shelf in the hifi so the Urika should benefit largely from that too. No additional wiring to dress behind the rack. Also no powersupply in sight, totally separated from the fine circuit. To me, this sounds like really large benefints in design!?
the players of instruments shall be there..
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Congratulations to Fredrik indeed, yet another very nice review! Thanks for posting Thomas!
ThomasOK wrote: 2022-09-06 19:37 Congratulations again to Fredrik!

In the current issue of Stereophile (October 2022 Vol. 45 No. 10) the Entity 1.1 has been listed in the Class A section of the 2022 Recommended Components listings. It was given a very nice writeup. I was going to link to the listings online but they made some errors in the listing and the Entity doesn't yet show up. An EMT unit in that section also is missing, I haven't checked thoroughly to see what others are missing as well. Hopefully that will be corrected soon.

For now I am reposting the link to the original review from the July issue.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/lej ... eamplifier
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Efraim!

I tried all the things you mention and this is what I found:
Efraim roots wrote: 2022-09-12 11:47 I mean Urika has the optimal wiring to input of the phonostage
Can you please explain in what way you think it's optimal?

I assume many think the short length is an advantage, but I tried making really short (<10 cm) tonearm cables and they sounded worse than the standard length ones made from the same parts. I haven't been able to better a grey T-kable with any kind of wire, regardless of length.
Efraim roots wrote: 2022-09-12 11:47there is a very good platform for the phonostage on the trampolin
When I worked on a prototype called Slipsik MC - which years later became Entity - I tried various ways of housing the circuit board. One was to put the board inside a little case that I mounted on a Trampolin (with and without mass added to weigh it down like an LP12 would). This didn't sound particularly good, it was much better to remove the Trampolin, add small rubber feet to the bottom of the case and place it directly on the shelf.

I like Trampolin below my LP12, but have never found it to benefit anything else. I know retailers and enthusiasts that have tried putting it under amplifiers and streamers, but it just doesn't work very well.
Efraim roots wrote: 2022-09-12 11:47No additional wiring to dress behind the rack.
I have never bothered with dressing cables behind the rack. I don't feel it does that much and I also move things around too often for it to make sense. I do make sure that all cables are running free, never squeezed or under strain, but that's about it.
Efraim roots wrote: 2022-09-12 11:47Also no powersupply in sight, totally separated from the fine circuit.
Now that is actually an advantage! Unfortunately, it's accompanied with a disadvantage, which is the necessity for a long cable carrying current between the power supply and the circuits it feeds. I find this to be an area where one needs to experiment to find what sounds best in practice. It's never "the closer the better" or "the further away the better".

You could remove the power supply of Entity and put it further away from the circuits, but I suspect you'd find it's pretty optimal where it's at. The main reason why it works so well to have the power close to the sensitive circuitry is that the incoming mains is screened by copper and the transformer is molded into epoxi, encapsulated and then surrounded by two layers of mu metal.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

The corresponding description online:
Lejonklou Entity: $2695
This utilitarian-looking, solid state MC-only design from Sweden uses transistors, wire, solder—even the washers used in the component's casework—that have all been obsessively selected by designer Fredrik Lejonklou after hundreds of comparative listening tests. Out of the box, the Entity sounded bleached, felt AH, but after about 50 hours of use, the preamp "began to sing with its authentic voice," sounding neutral, extended, transparent, fast, and resolving. AH found that the Entity was at its best with unbalanced Linn Silver interconnects ($452/1.2m pair), when it sounded more refined, dimensional, controlled, and tonally richer. In the test lab, the Lejonklou's RIAA correction featured a very slight plateau in the midrange, coupled with excellent channel separation, low noise, and very low distortion. Overload margins were very good in the bass and midrange but less so at the top of the audioband, meaning that the Entity will be best used with low-output moving coil cartridges. (Vol.45 No.7 WWW)
https://www.stereophile.com/content/rec ... amplifiers
Trust your ears
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

There seems to be some rivalry, some competition……
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

On the main website but I thought it should also be here:

Entity Version 1.2
Introduced 20th of September 2022
•New chassis ground parts and fastening torque
•Sound improvement: Yes
•Previous model upgradable: Yes

It took a bunch of additional testing by Fredrik but this upgrade has now been nailed down. It consists of a new lock washer and fastening nut for the chassis ground. These parts are the same ones used in the SINGularity 1.5 as part of the upgrade from the 1.1 (the other parts are not applicable to the Entity). Both parts have a proper side that should be up which on the washer can't be told by visual inspection so another method was developed. Also a new torque was discovered after evaluating a range of torques and it differs a fair bit from the previous torque. It provides a nice musical upgrade and in particular improves bass resolution and timing.
The LP12 Whisperer