Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by tokenbrit »

Tendaberry wrote:I don't know if I can accept that crown...
Brilliant Tendaberry: humility then go on to give a superb history lesson that's little short of a (self) coronation 😂 I was fascinated, and I'm not that into jazz 😜

Looking for Moanin' on Spotify highlights where digital streaming falls short as it seems almost impossible to avoid remastered copies, and it's difficult (at best) to find good/better recordings of jazz greats.
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2022-05-14 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Defender wrote: 2022-05-13 20:28 John thank you for the clip you convinced me to try a new a new belt on mine too - I surely didnt expected it to be making such a difference.
Thank you, glad I made these recent postings as it got me looking into how old mine was. It’s been on the turntable for 10 years and the one I replaced it with was obtained at the same time. Not sure if there has been refinements to the more recent belts Linn are providing. Once I get my new belt oriented, maybe I’ll post a comparison between it and the old one.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-05-14 13:54
Tendaberry wrote:I don't know if I can accept that crown...
Brilliant Tendaberry: humility then go on to give a superb history lesson that's little short of a (self) coronation 😂 I was fascinated, and I'm not that into jazz 😜

Looking for Moanin' on Spotify highlights where digital streaming falls short as it seems almost impossible to avoid remastered copies, and it's difficult (at best) to find good/better recordings of jazz greats.
Hold on Tokenbrit are you seriously suggesting digital remasters of early 80s CDs are worse than the original early CDs releases and the sound of Moanin' on Spoty sounds terrible.!!??Say it ain't so Joe .
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Lego wrote: 2022-05-15 18:08 Hold on Tokenbrit are you seriously suggesting digital remasters of early 80s CDs are worse than the original early CDs releases and the sound of Moanin' on Spoty sounds terrible.!!??Say it ain't so Joe .
I did not say that "Moanin' on Spoty sounds terrible" - you appear to be inferring & implying that. There are multiple listings of Moanin' on Spotify, and a couple sound better than the others - it just takes a bit of diggin' to find them... Interestingly, the 2 that seem more musical are not marked as remastered, but other tracks on the albums were.
PS who's Joe, and what does he know?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-05-15 18:31
Lego wrote: 2022-05-15 18:08 Hold on Tokenbrit are you seriously suggesting digital remasters of early 80s CDs are worse than the original early CDs releases and the sound of Moanin' on Spoty sounds terrible.!!??Say it ain't so Joe .
I did not say that "Moanin' on Spoty sounds terrible" - you appear to be inferring & implying that. There are multiple listings of Moanin' on Spotify, and a couple sound better than the others - it just takes a bit of diggin' to find them... Interestingly, the 2 that seem more musical are not marked as remastered, but other tracks on the albums were.
What would be more interesting is clips of remastered vs not marked as remasters but I'll have a listen.But something tells me I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of this version seems more musical than that version, especially when any version is perfectly enjoyable.Ive heard most of the original Rickie Lee Jones CDs/flac and without any comparative listen apart from LPs I find they sound totally flat and lifeless.The latest remasters are a much more enjoyable to listen to .Joni Mitchell and Nick Drake are other examples where the original CDs were terrible sounding in that they were bland listless with very little sense of enjoyment.There are countless other examples.So I think the sweeping statements banded about here that all cd remasters are worse than original CDs is total poppycock.
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Lego wrote: 2022-05-15 20:21
What would be more interesting is clips of remastered vs not marked as remasters but I'll have a listen.But something tells me I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of this version seems more musical than that version, especially when any version is perfectly enjoyable.Ive heard most of the original Rickie Lee Jones CDs/flac and without any comparative listen apart from LPs I find they sound totally flat and lifeless.The latest remasters are a much more enjoyable to listen to .Joni Mitchell and Nick Drake are other examples where the original CDs were terrible sounding in that they were bland listless with very little sense of enjoyment.There are countless other examples.So I think the sweeping statements banded about here that all cd remasters are worse than original CDs is total poppycock.
PSA: Joe says enjoy each on its musical merits... and use the Tune Method ;)
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

John wrote: 2022-05-13 20:54
tpetsch wrote: 2022-05-13 20:51
John wrote: 2022-05-13 20:47 It’s not much work using an iPhone. I have Andrew Hill “Passing Ships”, Lee Morgan “The Rajah”, Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton – Katanga!. A couple might be Tone Poet series.
Of those I have the Tone Poet Katanga John, but not sure I can post a clip for a few days...
When you get time, post a clip and I’ll do the same.

Hi John, here is the clip we spoke about. Katanga, 1st track, Side one off the newly released Blue Note Tone Poet series LP. ...Looking forward to others perhaps joining in too if they have this same copy??

Katanga
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-05-15 23:58

Of those I have the Tone Poet Katanga John, but not sure I can post a clip for a few days...

Hi John, here is the clip we spoke about. Katanga, 1st track, Side one off the newly released Blue Note Tone Poet series LP. ...Looking forward to others perhaps joining in too if they have this same copy??

Katanga
Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nn5xxbi1gjq8 ... 2.mov?dl=0
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Katanga
Would it be an act of kindness to put him out of his misery?
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Spannko wrote: 2022-05-16 17:12

Katanga
Would it be an act of kindness to put him out of his misery?
Can you clarify what you mean by this comment Spanko, just so were all clear on it? ...Just know I will not give my opinion here, I have one but of course but I'll keep it to myself in this type of A/B.

And for those playing along here is Johns again for reference:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nn5xxbi1gjq8 ... 2.mov?dl=0
Last edited by tpetsch on 2022-05-16 20:15, edited 2 times in total.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-05-15 23:48
Lego wrote: 2022-05-15 20:21

PSA: Joe says enjoy each on its musical merits... and use the Tune Method ;)
Ok here we go I'm prepared to hoisted by my own petard .Remaster vs Non ...Which one is more musical ?

A)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G30mKh ... p=drivesdk

B)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FsTzmU ... p=drivesdk
Last edited by Lego on 2022-05-16 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
I know that tune
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

tpetsch wrote: 2022-05-16 18:07 Can you clarify what you mean by this comment Spanko, just so were all clear on it?
The poor chap appears to be in considerable pain. Surely, the kindest thing to do would be to relieve him of it.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Lego wrote: 2022-05-16 18:13
Ok here we go I'm prepared to hoisted by my own petard .Remaster vs Non ...Which one is more musical ?

A)

B)
I know which I found more musicAlly AppeAling & engAging...
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Lego wrote: 2022-05-16 18:13

A)

B)
A for me please, the instruments seem clearer on B, but the swing is gone, when the tune gets going.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

A'nother vote here
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Arjen wrote: 2022-05-14 13:43 Enlightening explanation Tendaberry.
About Kind of Blue, should you have avoid yourself the 2015 Columbia Legacy re-issue? And why (not) then?
If you don't want to spend too much money, go for something like this (a 1970 or also the one from 1971, or any 60's reissue.) analogue reissue:
https://www.discogs.com/release/1162188 ... nd-of-Blue.
If you want the corrected speed for side A, it gets trickier. Maybe the Classic Records reissue from 1995? But then again, it's so expensive, you're better off buing the UHQR. If you want mono, go for an early reissue, because the mono master tapes are missing these days. The mono versions don't suffer from the speed problem on side 1.
Last edited by Tendaberry on 2022-05-17 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-05-17 11:20 A'nother vote here
+1
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Tendaberry wrote: 2022-05-17 11:24
Arjen wrote: 2022-05-14 13:43 Enlightening explanation Tendaberry.
About Kind of Blue, should you have avoid yourself the 2015 Columbia Legacy re-issue? And why (not) then?
If you don't want to spend too much money, I'd go for something like this (a 1970 or also the one from 1971, or any 60's reissue.) analogue reissue:
https://www.discogs.com/release/1162188 ... nd-of-Blue.
If you want the corrected speed for side A, it gets trickier. Maybe the Classic Records reissue from 1995? But then again, it's so expensive, you're better off buing the UHQR. If you want mono, go for an early reissue, because the mono master tapes are missing these days. The mono versions don't suffer from the speed problem on side 1.
Thank you T, Useful information to me. Luckily I’ve got a brother he’s into pressings same like you. Will have a conversation with him.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Lego wrote: 2022-05-16 18:13 Ok here we go I'm prepared to hoisted by my own petard .Remaster vs Non ...Which one is more musical ?

A)

B)
Listening via headphones and browser on my laptop ...

A seems a little quieter, but from the first few notes is engaging. B in comparison sounds rather flat and unethusiastic. So another vote for A
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Another vote for A. B just seems a bit lifeless in comparison.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

John wrote: 2022-05-16 13:46

Katanga
This is a tough one. I'm not overly enamored of the way either clip sounds. The one from John seems to me to be softer but muddling the instruments and compressing some parts of the music. The one from tpetsch allows me to hear the instruments sounding more real and follow the music a bit better but it has a harsh and aggressive quality to it that doesn't make me want to listen for long.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hoisted by my own petard 😁

A is the non remastered track which is way better musically than the remastered(mono).
Although during the A version the horns come in at a very high level close to being uncomfortable which is slightly strange.
I know that tune
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-05-17 18:16
John wrote: 2022-05-16 13:46

Katanga
This is a tough one. I'm not overly enamored of the way either clip sounds. The one from John seems to me to be softer but muddling the instruments and compressing some parts of the music. The one from tpetsch allows me to hear the instruments sounding more real and follow the music a bit better but it has a harsh and aggressive quality to it that doesn't make me want to listen for long.
I agree, on mine you have to find the right volume on your laptop to enjoy it, and honestly I just took this album out of the jacket as it was sealed -like so many. But I wasn't really blown away either listening "in the room" at first. But after a dozen replays now -both in the room and the clip- I'm kinda getting more into this first title track and figuring/wrapping my mind around it's complexities, and for me too, yes, it is aggressive, I believe by design, it kinda like a steam roller of a Jazz track on meth, for me in the room that trumpet is in your face and makes me laugh a little -especially at 1:10- with it's realism and power, and a trumpet in your face like that will sound aggressive to say the least, listen to it a few more times here and there if you can and I think it too will grow on you. ...Looking forward to posting more tracks in the future, and I take requests, Lol. Thanks for playing Tom.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Delete
Last edited by John on 2022-05-18 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

John wrote: 2022-05-18 01:53 Linn Belt comparison using Audacity. Can you tell which is older?
There was something a little odd in both, but I found Belt 1 a little more agreeable... Belt 2 exaggerated the sense of awkwardness in the timing that made it less musical for me.

And, to answer your question: unless it's the same '10YearOldBelt' just 'Inside Out direction changed' in the second clip, then I'm going with yes ;) Which reminds me, I have some Scotch that's older than that, & needs my attention - a good whisky should be sipped, not belted :)