A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: General Discussion about Källa

Post by V.A.MKD »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-03 13:25
mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-03 12:34 On Spotify I can either play the 'Kind of Blue Legacy Edition' or the original (?) one.
I choose the latter - so just 'Kind of Blue'.
The original(?) is my preferred one as well.
Please, can you record the third track "Blue in Green" too, my all time favorite Jazz track.(if possible)?
Would be extremely nice.
Thank you

Matt
+1
Music First ...
Vlado
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Defender wrote: 2021-10-02 14:41
mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-01 22:16 The system is Källa - Sagatun Mono - Tundra Prototyp - Graham BBC 3/5 - Linn silver ICs and 2.48m K200
It's a tight space atm but we're busy creating more room to allow a better speaker placement.
a Tundra Prototyp?
Yes, a very early one before the first Tundra was launched.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I seem to have four or five copies of Kind of Blue on silver disc. One is the dual disc (SACD/CD on opposite sides). The original CD is terrible. For me, the Legacy version sounds like Dolby has been applied. The version that sounds right is Miles Davis and Bill Evans Complete Studio & Live Masters.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-03 12:07 Ok, so here is movie 2 - extended version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plyz43j1x4qgi ... 0.mp4?dl=0
Much more engaging ,thanks for doing that Mrco99 .What are your initial thoughts on what the Kalla does and the rest don't ?
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

The weird thing is ,I was thinking the above sounds very similar to what I'm hearing at home ,then it occurred to me ,same source 😁
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-03 14:09 Hi Matt, will try that later tonight as I'm currently outdoors.
Another expensive streamer would be much more interesting than a different track .
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Lego wrote: 2021-10-03 19:35

Much more engaging ,thanks for doing that Mrco99 .What are your initial thoughts on what the Kalla does and the rest don't ?
+1

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Källa simply draws you into the music - I think that's the best and most straight answer to your question.

Our streamer here is a KDS/1 which I found musical enough to pass on the Katalyst upgrade and eventually upgrade it to the next one - Organik.

The main purpose of my KDS/1 has been browsing and discovering new music and cherrypicking single songs from memory though Qobuz when I'm in need of enjoying my daily dose of music.

In case I find an album that I really like I would then buy it on vinyl to enjoy it on my LP12. As with that analogue source I can much more enjoy music and relax to it.

Källa now gives me just that 'analogue' feeling of immersing myself into the music and my brain needs much less effort to make an emotional connection than with the KDS/1.
While I thought it always sounded fine before, now comparing it against Källa it sounds blurred and sort of artificial to my ears.

While I understand it would be much more interesting to compare Källa against KDS Katalyst - let alone Organik - I did find my KDS/1 a more musical streamer than ADS/Katalyst, which is still in Linn's pricelist and more expensive than Källa, so quite an archievement of Fredrik I must say.

Too late for more clips now, sorry, but will post them tomorrow.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for the clips, Marco!

Have you already set Källa to fixed IP on its web interface? If not, I really recommend that you compare before with after. It's a jawdropper.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote: 2021-10-03 19:35

+1
Very nice!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-03 22:45 Thank you for the clips, Marco!

Have you already set Källa to fixed IP on its web interface? If not, I really recommend that you compare before with after. It's a jawdropper.
Yes, it's on a fixed IP adress!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Last edited by matthias on 2021-10-05 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-05 10:24 Källa first review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRFudGa4gtU

Matt
Unfortunately, it seems that the reviewer didn't use the supplied power cable, but a "HiFi" one :-(
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-10-05 11:24 Unfortunately, it seems that the reviewer didn't use the supplied power cable, but a "HiFi" one :-(
.......and it did not stand on its own feet.

Matt
Matt

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-10-05 11:24
matthias wrote: 2021-10-05 10:24 Källa first review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRFudGa4gtU

Matt
Unfortunately, it seems that the reviewer didn't use the supplied power cable, but a "HiFi" one :-(
... and interconnect ... net?
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-05 11:27
Tendaberry wrote: 2021-10-05 11:24 Unfortunately, it seems that the reviewer didn't use the supplied power cable, but a "HiFi" one :-(
.......and it did not stand on its own feet.

Matt
Yes.
Music First ...
Vlado
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Not a review really but actually more a preview or early impression.
So have some more patience until the full review is ready.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-05 11:37 Not a review really but actually more a preview or early impression.
So have some more patience until the full review is ready.
Yes I agree with you, but some basic requests are ...
Music First ...
Vlado
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

" .. because the [Källa] gets out of the way it's easy to get lost in the music" was about the only worthwhile comment in the preview...
Hopefully the review will cover streaming via protokol rather than files via upnp, but I'm not sure HFA gets it following the comment about Fredrik's attention to detail, then appearing to ignore all(?) such details in the subsequent audio focused comparisons.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-10-05 13:33 " .. because the [Källa] gets out of the way it's easy to get lost in the music" was about the only worthwhile comment in the preview...
Hopefully the review will cover streaming via protokol rather than files via upnp, but I'm not sure HFA gets it following the comment about Fredrik's attention to detail, then appearing to ignore all(?) such details in the subsequent audio focused comparisons.
Agree,
the problem is that Spotify is severely underrated in audiophile circles since it does not yet offer lossless quality.
But at least he streamed Qobuz via protocol.

Matt
Matt

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-05 13:48 .. at least he streamed Qobuz...
Ahh, *that's* what he said - I couldn't pick up on what he was using as the source when he was talking about UPnP or HQ, Thanks for clarifying.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Now that the Kalla is getting delivered and the first impressions at this forum shared, a question.
The charm of vinyl is its relative imperfection unlike the digital performance, does the Kalla bring back that vinyl like thrill? Or is it killing because of another performance quality?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Arjen wrote: 2021-10-05 22:36 Now that the Kalla is getting delivered and the first impressions at this forum shared, a question.
The charm of vinyl is its relative imperfection unlike the digital performance, does the Kalla bring back that vinyl like thrill? Or is it killing because of another performance quality?
Sorry, but I have never bought the theory that the charm of vinyl is its relative imperfection. Nor do I think the that pops and clicks are part of the charm as idiots in magazines like to claim when talking about records. The attraction of vinyl is that when well produced, well pressed and decently played back it has a musical naturalness, movement and engagement that has so far been missing from digital playback, at least to any where near the same degree. If Källa allows digitally stored files to provide a high degree of that musical naturalness, movement and engagement it will indeed be a breakthrough, even if it doesn't quite match the best albums on the best turntables.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

+1. Totally!

Also, it would be absolutely brilliant if Källa reproduces modern recordings better than an LP12. In theory, there’s absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t (as far as I’m aware).
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-10-06 18:03
Arjen wrote: 2021-10-05 22:36 Now that the Kalla is getting delivered and the first impressions at this forum shared, a question.
Sorry, but I have never bought the theory that the charm of vinyl is its relative imperfection. Nor do I think the that pops and clicks are part of the charm as idiots in magazines like to claim when talking about records. The attraction of vinyl is that when well produced, well pressed and decently played back it has a musical naturalness, movement and engagement that has so far been missing from digital playback, at least to any where near the same degree. If Källa allows digitally stored files to provide a high degree of that musical naturalness, movement and engagement it will indeed be a breakthrough, even if it doesn't quite match the best albums on the best turntables.
Thomas, totally agree. I’m not talking about imperfection in terms of a bad production, bad pressing etc. On the contrary. I’m talking about relative imperfection in terms of brilliant imperfection, best analogue mechanical deliverance of music, different from artificial digital performance. I hope indeed that the Kalla will deliver that kind of natural analogue performance,
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility