Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Playground for practical listening exercises

Post by lejonklou »

I have never experienced Lingo becoming worse after warming up, rather the opposite. Radikal sounds better after warming up and even when switching on the motor the music improves after half an hour.

If changes during the warming up period are unavoidable, my opinion is that they should be in the positive direction.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

John wrote: 2021-09-01 12:13 I posted these files out on a couple other forums and have gotten an overwhelming positive response for file B which were posted first initially with A.
My observation is that a lot of folks on the PFM forum, but not all, will be focusing purely to the HiFi stuff which is noticeably clearer in B, compared to A. Similarly, most folks here will be ignoring the HiFi stuff and focusing on musical understanding. Just highlighting the differences that's all. Not trying to tell you which is better for you.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

I’m got to say I’m quite baffled by the responses coming from here as I have a far easier time following the tune on the later recordings.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

It's all good then :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I didn't listen to E initially as you said you had one new recording for us and then listed two. Initially the youtube title of track showed up as much shorter than the others so I thought it was an extra track of something different. Interestingly now that I have listened to it the title shown lengthened. Anyway, I just listened to E and felt it was pretty good but I still prefer A overall. I did not compare E to any of the other clips, just to my preferred clip of A. When I originally compared them I did find clip B more detailed and clear, just not as musical and in the groove as A.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

I initially put out the wrong file for E, it was a recording I made right after the intended E file. I moved the phone several feet back from where the other recordings were made just to see how that position sounded in comparison. Someone pointed that out to me on the Steve Hoffman forum and I made the correction shortly after.

I have been listening to the files via the Photo app on my iPhone or iPad either through Grado headphones or through my Tannoy speakers in my living room where I’m able to Airplay to them. The phone app allows me to swipe between the files very rapidly and listen to just a few seconds of each cut if desired.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

The drumming in B is odd ,it's as if it's got some kind of limp.I guess some people like that .
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

John wrote: 2021-09-01 16:39 I initially put out the wrong file for E, it was a recording I made right after the intended E file. I moved the phone several feet back from where the other recordings were made just to see how that position sounded in comparison. Someone pointed that out to me on the Steve Hoffman forum and I made the correction shortly after.

I have been listening to the files via the Photo app on my iPhone or iPad either through Grado headphones or through my Tannoy speakers in my living room where I’m able to Airplay to them. The phone app allows me to swipe between the files very rapidly and listen to just a few seconds of each cut if desired.
Out of interest John ,do you find any difference between side A and side B on Sheffield Steel?
I know that tune
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

Lego wrote: 2021-09-01 20:30 Out of interest John ,do you find any difference between side A and side B on Sheffield Steel?
Different songs, really like Ruby Lee, should have used that song.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hahaha..Anyway one side had Direct metal mastering and the other side didn't .Just wondered if you noticed the difference.
I know that tune
Offerdal

Post by Offerdal »

First time in this thread. Will see if everything works.
Source: LP12 Majik 2020, cirkus, Valhalla, akito 3b, adikt
Speaker: Klångedang T1i, Synkronfilter
First song in swedish, old live progsong

https://www.dropbox.com/s/020ovb73tk5uzgr/1.1.aiff?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nc4lo5uox46uvr/1.2.aiff?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ay2fa87w5fpta2/2.1.aiff?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev2iofe0us0pypl/2.2.aiff?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzlnbm2x6maqm28/3.1.aiff?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/234kc1ll5fmsheb/3.2.aiff?dl=0

What do you think?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I prefer 3.
Playing cd’s…………
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

After a quick listen.
3 is best, followed by 1 then 2.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Track one - I don't much like clip 2, compared to the other two clips. 1 and 3 sound close but there is something different about the recording, like you were sitting in a different position or the phone is angled differently. Leaning slightly towards clip 1 but not 100% sure

Track two - clip 2 seems better but still prefer 1 and 3. 3 now seems best. Again, all the recordings sounds slightly different so perhaps something going on with the phone position.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2021-09-15 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Here we go with the first disagreement!

Firstly, I didn’t like 2 at all. I felt 3 was fair to crap, and thought 1 was fabulous!

This is the first time I’ve heard the Klangedang’s, and, to me, they sound exceptional (musically), however they seem to share the Kans problem of lacking bass, which can limit the range of music which can be enjoyed on them. At least they don’t have the Kans “shouty” character, which really helps though.

PS. After reading the previous posts, I’ve listened again and still think 1 is magnificent!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote: 2021-09-15 23:07 This is the first time I’ve heard the Klangedang’s, and, to me, they sound exceptional (musically), however they seem to share the Kans problem of lacking bass, which can limit the range of music which can be enjoyed on them. At least they don’t have the Kans “shouty” character, which really helps though.
I like them too, especially on track 2 which showed off their speed.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm with Spannko on this one. I prefer clip 1 on both tracks, I can just hear more of what is going on musically and enjoy it more. I don't like clip 2 at all on either one. Clip 3 is better than 2 but still seems to be trying too hard without actually delivering.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
teatime

Post by teatime »

With a small caveat that a bad cold is messing with my hearing at the moment, I prefer 3 by a mile.

Particularly with the prog track, the bass comes off very monotonic to me in 1 - it just sounds "BOING", where with 3 I feel I know what the next bass note will be. 1's slight lack of focus fits the modern track better, but I still I appreciate the added nuance present in 3.

I've heard the T1:s at Tonläget few times over the years, and always liked them.

EDIT: Forgot to add: 2 felt like the middle ground on both tracks, and was somehow the least interesting for it.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Shared indifference towards 2; can hear arguments in favour of 1 or 3.

The volume seemed a little low on the sets of clips so had to turn up the phone vol to listen... I'm going with 3.

There's a lot to listen to with such long clips - I wonder if everyone is listening to the same parts of the song, or all of it, to make their decision(s). I tried to pick the same section to compare - felt there was more to separate the Swedish track in favour of 3; found the second track a bit repetitive, but less irritating/a bit more interesting in 3 than 1.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

For me the best is 1, second 3 and at the end 2.

1 is the most musical for me, 3 go to HiFi side / direction and 2 ... something is wrong, I can't define what ...
Music First ...
Vlado
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-09-16 01:49 ... - felt there was more to separate the Swedish track in favour of 3; found the second track a bit repetitive, but less irritating/a bit more interesting in 3 than 1.
Embarrassingly, like the man with 2 watches not being sure of the time, this man with 2 phones should know better than to go by my old phone: listening on my better phone, I have to admit that 1 is better - I didn't want it to be, but it is. (and I still don't care for the second song... ;)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Offerdal, please don’t keep us in suspense any longer! I’m really looking forward to knowing what we’ve been listening to.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Spannko wrote: 2021-09-17 13:45 Offerdal, please don’t keep us in suspense any longer! I’m really looking forward to knowing what we’ve been listening to.
+1
Music First ...
Vlado
Offerdal

Post by Offerdal »

Thanks for your thoughts.

1. Naim nait 2 CB recap 2020
2. Naim 32BD-160BD No recap
3. Naim 32BD-Snaps BD-160BD No recap

I hear the same as you with 1 and 3. The 3 try alot and is Good at the hifistuff but the nait is very Good!

Tried a red nait 1 last winter but find it hard for the nait 1 to drive the klångedang.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

So it’s a 5-3 win for the 32/snaps/160 combo! Thanks for the clips Offerdal. That’s a lovely system you’ve got there, and in many ways similar to charlie1’s system, which also sounds great.