We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Damping Feet

Post by Arjen »

Hi,
As a new member (See my Slipsik in Excelsis Deo) I wonder if some of you experienced with Damping Feet on this Forum’s stamping ground. In my recent Slipsik post I’m telling about my final upgrades with some feet. In a email with Fredrik he asked me what I ment by improvement. He says follow the tune method (which I do since), do not focus on sound. But then, after my different upgrades (see my slipsik posts) I felt that some damping feet could help the best out of some devices still. I got that opinion because I cannot upgrade my old audio cupboard to a hifi rack. In the old cupboard CD player is on top fo tuner is on top of Supernait amp. The shelf can be moved a bit out of the board, as the shelf of the turntable . So I thought damping could give some help to eliminate bad vibrations. So under the cd, tuner, amp stack I put Basso Continuo Ultra Feet, under the CD player and the Lenco turntable because if the little room left, rather thin Soundeck DF damping feet. In my opinion there is more openess and quietness.
Friends, I am very interested your experiences and opinions in terms of the tune method.
Arjen
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Damping Feet

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Greetings,

In my experience, using damping feet and cones had mixed results. Some components sounded better using them, and some sounded worse. Ultimately, not all components will benefit from using damping devices. I tried them individually on each component, one component at a time. However, they never sounded good under my Klimax gear. And I've been told Lejonklou components don't sound good using them either, so I haven't bothered.

The components that sounded better using damping feet (or cones) are as follows; Linn Pekin tuner, Pioneer tuner, Karin preamplifier, Akurate preamplifier and Linto phono preamplifier.

However, in addition to my Klimax gear, the damping feet didn't sound good with the Lingo power supply either.

Cheers
Arjen wrote: 2021-07-01 14:09 Hi,
As a new member (See my Slipsik in Excelsis Deo) I wonder if some of you experienced with Damping Feet on this Forum’s stamping ground. In my recent Slipsik post I’m telling about my final upgrades with some feet. In a email with Fredrik he asked me what I ment by improvement. He says follow the tune method (which I do since), do not focus on sound. But then, after my different upgrades (see my slipsik posts) I felt that some damping feet could help the best out of some devices still. I got that opinion because I cannot upgrade my old audio cupboard to a hifi rack. In the old cupboard CD player is on top fo tuner is on top of Supernait amp. The shelf can be moved a bit out of the board, as the shelf of the turntable . So I thought damping could give some help to eliminate bad vibrations. So under the cd, tuner, amp stack I put Basso Continuo Ultra Feet, under the CD player and the Lenco turntable because if the little room left, rather thin Soundeck DF damping feet. In my opinion there is more openess and quietness.
Friends, I am very interested your experiences and opinions in terms of the tune method.
Arjen
Tony Tune-age
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Thank you Tony,
Indeed it depends on devices.
Under the Slipsik it dit not that much. Fredrik told me that too. He also told me gear are affected by the shelves. So I put a household glasshelf (with plastic feet) under the Slipsik and I think it make the sound more focussed and quiet than on the wooden shelf.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Anymore en anyone experience with and opinions on Damping Feet like the Basso Utra Feet and Soundeck Damping Feet?
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Arjen wrote: 2021-07-01 15:05 Thank you Tony,
Indeed it depends on devices.
Under the Slipsik it dit not that much. Fredrik told me that too. He also told me gear are affected by the shelves. So I put a household glasshelf (with plastic feet) under the Slipsik and I think it make the sound more focussed and quiet than on the wooden shelf.
Hi Arjen,
Interesting comparison of shelf and thank you that you share it with us ... you made it with tune method ... what is more musical?
I ask this because I also experiment like you, with shelf ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

In my opinion the glass shelf. I think the phono preamp is by that better decoupled from the cupboard which is housing all the other devices. Arjen.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Hi Vlado,
It is not always easy what tweaking is doing to the music. The experience in my opinion is also depending on if your ears are fresh or tired. When they are a little tired I think that’s the best moment to judge your set. Sometimes tweaking can be over the top. Sometimes the soundquality can turn too open or analytical and pressing, that a little de-tweaking (or downtweaking) can give more musical joy. So after the positive effects of damping feet and a glass shelf under the Slipsik preamp I changed my turntable mat from alufoil/felt/leather to leather/felt ( felt upper), effect is more soft, relaxing than analytical now. So trial and error, tweaking and de-tweaking or downtweaking if tuning method is guiding you that way. Best wishes, Arjen
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Thank you Arjen, after 30+ years on our "way to happiness" I still learn, exchange experiance and Tune Method just keep me on right way with surgical precision ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Well Vlado,
Indeed. Nice to have a forum like this to share and to learn.
In the end the ultimate experience is to touch close the first thrill as a youngster.
In my young days just to listen to my Sharp transistor radio, tuning Radio Luxembourg, under the blanket, Sunny Afternoon, The Kinks, I can’t let go, The Hollies, Paint it Black, The Rolling Stones. Hard to compete that feeling.
Just now, at my sophisticated set, playing Yuri Honing and Tord Gustavsen (both brilliant new jazz), late night, an under the blanket feeling again, late night on the sofa in the living room. Raining outside
Musical joy inside!
Arjen
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tord Gustavsen is one of my favorite "new" ECM generation ... great music as you say for late night ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

If Tord Gustavsen is one of your favorites for the night, check Yuri Honing Quartet (Desire, Bluebeard)
Yuri is the same brilliant as Tord!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Arjen wrote: 2021-07-06 17:24 If Tord Gustavsen is one of your favorites for the night, check Yuri Honing Quartet (Desire, Bluebeard)
Yuri is the same brilliant as Tord!
For sure I will check ... Thank you for recommendation ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

I’m suprised by the amount of readers. But only one or two shares their own experiences. Again, I’m very interested in your opinion, dear reader.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

hi,
anybody who experienced different performance of devices like phono preamps and other devices put on different shelfs, like wood (different kinds), glass (different thickness), stone (natural, industrial made).
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I have a quadraspire rack. It used to be a mix of glass and mdf shelves and I found I preferred all components on mdf instead of glass, so now it is all mdf
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

There have been a few discussions on this forum related to stone slabs, to different wood plinths, and to different stands; there may even have been one more specifically associated with shelf materials... I'm thinking it might have been related to options with a Quadraspire rack, or a turntable wall shelf. I don't know how much a search will find, or how much digging & distilling you are prepared to do but, other than support, a shelf needs to manage vibrations in a way that harmonises with the system to keep the music together. Wood tends to be the most natural, but that can change based on the density & kind/thickness of wood* used; glass can be a bit rigid & reflect too much vibration, but may work depending on other factors**; stone tends to take the vibration (& life) out of the music. This is just a general reply - your own experimentation, situation, & preferences will come into play, as will aesthetics.

* consider the musical characteristics of instruments made from wood...
** consider rack systems that have been designed, developed & tuned with glass shelves
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Damn Ping!

Post by Ron The Mon »

Arjen wrote: 2021-07-21 19:43 I’m surprised by the [high] amount of readers. But only one or two has shared their experiences. Again, I’m very interested in your opinion dear reader.

Anyone who experienced different performance of devices like phono preamps and other devices put on different shelfs, like wood (different kinds), glass (different thickness), stone (natural, industrial made).
Arjen,
You have chosen the wrong time of the year to ask for responses on this Forum. Most are enjoying the sunshine and warm weather. I go between two homes and additionally spend most of the Summer on my boat. My boat is welled on a private island bordering the United States and Canada. Between last Summer and now, a massive electrical powerline connection between the two countries was made to increase sharing and distribution of that power generation grid. The result is my boat is getting a much lower noise mains.

In addition (my reason for posting), I am getting the best sounding hi-fi I have ever experienced. I decided to put my main hi-fi, minus speakers, on the boat. This includes a Naim 42 pre-amp and Naim mono 110 amps into Linn Kan speakers. It sounds fantastic! Imagine a river supporting a floating hull of fiberglass, tied loosely by some cotton/nylon ropes. That is what my hi-fi is supported by and is not included in your material types; which included wood, glass, and stone.

More interestingly, I own three Mac minis which all play Spotify in three diffferent systems. Currently, the one playing into my Isobariks sounds outrageously good. It is outputted to a separate DAC which is on a plastic support, mounted to a metal wall shelf. I came across this completely by accident after I removed several pieces from from my main hi-fi.

Last year at this time I found it far more interesting to drink vodka and watch girls in bikinis at the pool than post on a hi-fi forum. I will check back with this Forum in October and post some audio clips. I have made some rather interesting discoveries.

In the mean-time, add plastic, fiberglass, and water to your hi-fi support list.

Ron The Mon
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Damn Ping!

Post by matthias »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-07-21 22:09 More interestingly, I own three Mac minis which all play Spotify in three diffferent systems. Currently, the one playing into my Isobariks sounds outrageously good. It is outputted to a separate DAC which is on a plastic support, mounted to a metal wall shelf. I came across this completely by accident after I removed several pieces from from my main hi-fi.
Hi Ron,

I am sure this DAC is chosen by the Tune Method and must be superior to the DAC inside the Mac mini, so I am very curious to know what it is.
Please, can you tell something about?
Thank you and enjoy :-)

Matt
Last edited by matthias on 2021-07-22 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Hi Ron,
Sounds good. All the devices sailing away with bikini girls. Sail on Hifi Sailor.
Maybe I should do the same. But the canoe will not allow. Enjoy your island in the sun and the waters around it. I enjoy mine in two weeks time. Without my Naim. But with friends and beers. And back home I will check the forum.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

matthias wrote: 2021-07-21 23:16
Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-07-21 22:09 More interestingly, I own three Mac minis which all play Spotify in three diffferent systems. Currently, the one playing into my Isobariks sounds outrageously good. It is outputted to a separate DAC which is on a plastic support, mounted to a metal wall shelf. I came across this completely by accident after I removed several pieces from from my main hi-fi.
Hi Ron,

I am sure this DAC is chosen by the Tune Method and must be superior to the DAC inside the Mac mini, so I am very curious to know what it is.
Please, can you tell something about?
Thank you and enjoy :-)

Matt
Yes, Ron. You are quite a tease. It would certainly be informative to know what DAC you now prefer to the one in the Mac Mini. Also interesting would be which version Mac Mini you have found to be the most musical. That is, if you can tear yourself away from those bikinis.

Buy the way. I know this can be an expensive hobby but I have to say that your Hi-Fi support system is certainly one of the more expensive propositions I have heard of!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

And Ron, please let us know which side on board is most musically, port or starboard, as we say backboard or steerboard. Arjen
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Thank you Pete Springwood and Tokenbrit for your comment. The thing with the cupboard is that there is a lot connected, boards and shelves. So I tried for the phono preamp (only device to manipulate where to put on) different options to disconnect. You might be right wood or mdf is most natural.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-07-21 22:09 It is outputted to a separate DAC.......
Ron,
Gigaport eX?

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-07-22 16:47 Yes, Ron. You are quite a tease. It would certainly be informative to know what DAC you now prefer to the one in the Mac Mini. Also interesting would be which version Mac Mini you have found to be the most musical. That is, if you can tear yourself away from those bikinis.
I did not say the DAC I'm currently using sounds better than the one built in the Mac mini. I said it sounds outrageously good. The overall *system* sounds better than previously. I will need to make clips as most will not believe what I'm using.
By the way. I know this can be an expensive hobby but I have to say that your Hi-Fi support system is certainly one of the more expensive propositions I have heard of.
My boat (with the green top) costs less than Hermann's Mana hi-fi supports.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

matthias wrote: 2021-07-29 17:23
Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-07-21 22:09 It is outputted to a separate DAC.......
Ron,
Gigaport eX?
No.