We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Random thoughts on hifi

Post by beck »

:-)

I think you are both right Tendaberry and David Neel!

On a more serious note I find it very interesting that the recording on the cd is not the problem so much as the system and setup we use.........
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Works for me beck!
David Neel wrote: 2021-06-04 11:02 Back in the 70s I seem to remember Linn claiming that using their turntable would improve any system. Not sure that this was what they meant!
Lol 😆
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-04 17:48 Works for me beck!
David Neel wrote: 2021-06-04 11:02 Back in the 70s I seem to remember Linn claiming that using their turntable would improve any system. Not sure that this was what they meant!
Lol 😆
Please do not tell me that you are getting into modern jazz Charlie1! ;-)

If you are the reason could be the bass player on the cd:

https://youtu.be/17qRY0XCuq0
Playing cd’s…………
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

hello, I ask everyone who has experience .. how should the sondek be positioned with a plate on the wall or on a table in the colonnade? let me know from your experience the best sound, thanks
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Karousel wrote: 2021-06-05 11:30 hello, I ask everyone who has experience .. how should the sondek be positioned with a plate on the wall or on a table in the colonnade? let me know from your experience the best sound, thanks
When comparing the now long gone Audiotech table against the Audiotech shelf I think it was agreed that the table was the better solution (if the floor was “stable” enough).

So a table like the NoKTable that ThomasOK uses for his Sondek would be a good solution.
Last edited by beck on 2021-06-05 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote: 2021-06-04 18:47 Please do not tell me that you are getting into modern jazz Charlie1! ;-)

If you are the reason could be the bass player on the cd:

https://youtu.be/17qRY0XCuq0
I wouldn't go that far 😁 He was clearly super talented but most of it goes over my head. I preferred the bit when he just played bass by himself.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Karousel wrote: 2021-06-05 11:30 hello, I ask everyone who has experience .. how should the sondek be positioned with a plate on the wall or on a table in the colonnade? let me know from your experience the best sound, thanks
I have a sound org wall shelf but always prefer a table or rack. The table is on suspended wooden floor so quite bouncy. Shelf sounds clearer. Table sounds more involving fir some reason.
Karousel

Post by Karousel »

hi, in fact I have an audiotech table it is a Target wall shelf .. I am understanding that the audiotech table is much better, thanks for your reply
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I have to eat my own words. I love jazz!

This DDD recorded cd is being played again and again:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gic4ffz0mm5gi ... 6.jpg?dl=0

Do never underestimate what good setup can do to your taste in music. :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/paitu9w1q5y4e ... 2.mov?dl=0

.......featuring Johnny Griffin on tenor saxophone
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

beck wrote: 2021-06-10 09:25 I have to eat my own words. I love jazz!

This DDD recorded cd is being played again and again:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gic4ffz0mm5gi ... 6.jpg?dl=0

Do never underestimate what good setup can do to your taste in music. :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/paitu9w1q5y4e ... 2.mov?dl=0

.......featuring Johnny Griffin on tenor saxophone
Excellent beck!
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sounding good, beck! Music is communication. Once the level of perfromance of the gear allows it to communicate at a high enough level whole vistas of musical genres you didn't understand open up. Isn't it lovely?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-10 21:44 Sounding good, beck! Music is communication. Once the level of performance of the gear allows it to communicate at a high enough level whole vistas of musical genres you didn't understand open up. Isn't it lovely?
Spot on Thomas! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-10 21:44 Sounding good, beck! Music is communication. Once the level of perfromance of the gear allows it to communicate at a high enough level whole vistas of musical genres you didn't understand open up. Isn't it lovely?
I was able to understand and enjoy most genres of music with very low quality of gear. It takes a little effort to learn each completely new genre. But for me the understanding has little relationship with the quality of the gear.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-06-10 22:40
ThomasOK wrote: Sounding good, beck! Music is communication. Once the level of perfromance of the gear allows it to communicate at a high enough level whole vistas of musical genres you didn't understand open up. Isn't it lovely?
I was able to understand and enjoy most genres of music with very low quality of gear. It takes a little effort to learn each completely new genre. But for me the understanding has little relationship with the quality of the gear.
Me too, but when you start on the “hifi ladder” things have a tendensy to go wrong music wise. Therefore it is important to keep the musical focus when “upgrading”.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Sounding very good as always now beck.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-10 21:44 Sounding good, beck! Music is communication. Once the level of perfromance of the gear allows it to communicate at a high enough level whole vistas of musical genres you didn't understand open up. Isn't it lovely?
The better the system, the less the effort required to listen to any genre of music. In fact, the best systems are totally effortless.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-11 00:32
The better the system, the less the effort required to listen to any genre of music. In fact, the best systems are totally effortless.
I disagree. I don't believe ease of understanding music and system quality are linked. With very few genres aside I've listened to and understood a wide array of music since I was very young. I don't find it easier now to understand new music because my system has dramatically improved. Forums are an exchange of ideas and opinions.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

beck wrote: 2021-06-10 23:06
ThomasOK wrote: Sounding good, beck! Music is communication. Once the level of perfromance of the gear allows it to communicate at a high enough level whole vistas of musical genres you didn't understand open up. Isn't it lovely?
Me too, but when you start on the “hifi ladder” things have a tendensy to go wrong music wise. Therefore it is important to keep the musical focus when “upgrading”.
That's not been my experience Beck - on things going wrong music-wise.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

beck wrote: 2021-06-10 23:06
I agree, that's basically why I believe in only one change/mod at a time followed by listening long enough so as to let the change burn/settle in, some times a single change can take a week or two to really revile it's true impact on your system such as a big change like the introduction of a totally new pieces of equipment or an "upgrade" board replacement, other times you know instantly like when changing your equipment rack /placement/outlet strip. ...Also once you find a sound your happy with you begin to realize how the slightest change can sometimes impact that sound/tune in a very negative way.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-11 00:32
+1. On beck system we listen different music (some of the titles I listen first time) and everything sounds very good, very musical = "level of performance" or "best system" just let the music / composer tell us (or at list to me) what is the idea ...
Music First ...
Vlado
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-11 00:32 The better the system, the less the effort required to listen to any genre of music. In fact, the best systems are totally effortless.
Any system that can make Ornette Coleman and Prime Time effortless has yet to be invented. The human brain needs practice at understanding new types of music to the listener. It has very little to do with the quality of the system.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Good HiFi systems have really broadened my taste in music.

I'm not sure if I'd call it effortless, but a good system increases my understanding. On a bad system, I don't understand the point of it all and can't connect to the music emotionally. Even the tiniest sound can make me feel "duh", but when I hear it on a good system, I feel "ahh, yes!"
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I developed broad taste in music before I could afford a very high quality system. Even as a young child I was listening to the radio stations my mother chose on the kitchen radio which was pretty cheap and cheerful. My breakthrough moment came at fifteen listening to a Joni Mitchell track (Otis and Marlene) I recorded from the radio on a cheap music centre. That Joni Mitchell band was a stellar line up of jazz icons. For me it was music first. Then came good quality gear.

Everyone has a different path. It makes life more interesting.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Then why do you need a good HiFi system?

Personally I don't care about how it sounds, only by how affected I am by the music. If a kitchen radio does that as good or better, then I'll listen to that.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-06-11 20:34 Then why do you need a good HiFi system?

Personally I don't care about how it sounds, only by how affected I am by the music. If a kitchen radio does that as good or better, then I'll listen to that.
To get closer to what was produced in the studio or live by the team making the music. It would need an off the charts kitchen radio to get close (and there are a few). Being affected by the music is key. I listen to music daily for two reasons, emotional effect on me and to alter my mood.