Four years in the making

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Four years in the making

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-04-21 18:48 Hi Fredrik, do you plan on making any further recommendations regarding the network components, & configuration, involved in achieving the most musical results with Källa?
Previously there appears to have been general consensus that 108T & ~2.5m BJC LAN cables were a good start point... now add an Apple device as the Källa control point. If Källa & Spotify is already sounding better than the same album/tracks from a NAS, is that dependent on a particular router, possibly isolated from the wider home except for a shared Internet connection?
I will draw some schematics this weekend (if time permits, constant work at the moment) explaining how Källa works. And I will also start a thread about recommended components and what we've found to sound best.
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

teatime wrote: 2021-04-23 01:04
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-21 23:24 A little summary is that the Källa is a single box streamer/DAC that uses the proprietary Lejonklou Protokoll for sending the music to it that requires an Apple device.
This is rather strangely put, and, I suspect, borders on the incorrect.

Until Fredrik (or someone else who knows) sets the record straight, here's what I think is going on:

The Apple device plays the music using the Apple proprietary Remote Audio Output Protocol (RAOP) - one of the services found in the AirPlay technology stack. RAOP is basically the tried and true open protocols RTSP and RTP with added encrypted.

Apple probably never intended anyone but Apple to be able to create a device like Källa, but the encryption was broken many years ago, allowing the creation of a device that masquerades as an Airport Express. AirPlay 2 encryption was apparently also broken, but much later. This might suggest Källa is compatible with AirPlay 1 only, but this is wild speculation.

When Fredrik writes...
lejonklou wrote: 2021-04-18 01:30 Källa uses the same basic communication protocol as Airplay™ does. But ours is written entirely in-house and tuned for maximum musicality. The difference between them is staggering.
... I take this to mean they are using their own implementation of the RTSP & RTP protocols (and somehow get around the encryption), rather than using licensed libraries from Apple for RAOP. Because the former is much better.
Relying on broken encryption instead of licensed libraries seems like a risky move.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-04-23 09:45
No, the analogue output of Källa is fixed volume. We did several attempts at adding digital volume control but eventually abandoned it as it invariably robbed the music of some of its magic.
thats good to hear - if you cant make a digital volume control working without robbing the music I dont have to try if others can
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

El Mero Mero wrote: 2021-04-23 18:44
teatime wrote: 2021-04-23 01:04
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-21 23:24 A little summary is that the Källa is a single box streamer/DAC that uses the proprietary Lejonklou Protokoll for sending the music to it that requires an Apple device.
This is rather strangely put, and, I suspect, borders on the incorrect.

Until Fredrik (or someone else who knows) sets the record straight, here's what I think is going on:

The Apple device plays the music using the Apple proprietary Remote Audio Output Protocol (RAOP) - one of the services found in the AirPlay technology stack. RAOP is basically the tried and true open protocols RTSP and RTP with added encrypted.

Apple probably never intended anyone but Apple to be able to create a device like Källa, but the encryption was broken many years ago, allowing the creation of a device that masquerades as an Airport Express. AirPlay 2 encryption was apparently also broken, but much later. This might suggest Källa is compatible with AirPlay 1 only, but this is wild speculation.

When Fredrik writes...
lejonklou wrote: 2021-04-18 01:30 Källa uses the same basic communication protocol as Airplay™ does. But ours is written entirely in-house and tuned for maximum musicality. The difference between them is staggering.
... I take this to mean they are using their own implementation of the RTSP & RTP protocols (and somehow get around the encryption), rather than using licensed libraries from Apple for RAOP. Because the former is much better.
Relying on broken encryption instead of licensed libraries seems like a risky move.
If that’s the case, what happens if Apple releases a new OS that prevents unlicensed users from accessing Airplay?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Would it be possible to have the “Airplay section” of the circuit made by an MFI approved manufacturer, thus having access to the official codes and updates?
teatime

Post by teatime »

John wrote: 2021-04-24 15:00 If that’s the case, what happens if Apple releases a new OS that prevents unlicensed users from accessing Airplay?
As I understand it, it would be technically impossible without also dropping compatibility with all the Airport Express devices that have the exposed private key in their firmware.

But let's not run away too far with this speculation. :D I really would like to know how it works, though.
willem kuis

Post by willem kuis »

Many audiophiles and music lovers like myself are totally hooked on Roon
Will the Kalla be recognized by Roon?

https://roonlabs.com/
Källa 1.0 # Sagatun 1.7 # Tundra 2.5 # Spec RSA 901-EX # Harbeth Super HL5+XD # REL Strata III
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

willem kuis wrote: 2021-04-25 07:31 Many audiophiles and music lovers like myself are totally hooked on Roon
Will the Kalla be recognized by Roon?

https://roonlabs.com/
It might, but I'm not paying any attention to it.

Roon is not on our roadmap, because the last thing we want is anything external to mess with the data stream. The exceptional musical performance of Källa relies on controlling exactly how, when and where the data is moved.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-22 18:00
Lego wrote: 2021-04-22 14:57 An unlocked phone!!!?? ...is that so you can use any mobile network 😁
Or no mobile network if you choose to use it just as a remote. In the US all iPhones now come unlocked standard unless you buy one on a payment plan through AT&T from what I read.
So you don't need to jailbreak your iPhone device
I know that tune
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Lego wrote: 2021-04-26 15:32
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-04-22 18:00
Lego wrote: 2021-04-22 14:57 An unlocked phone!!!?? ...is that so you can use any mobile network 😁
Or no mobile network if you choose to use it just as a remote. In the US all iPhones now come unlocked standard unless you buy one on a payment plan through AT&T from what I read.
So you don't need to jailbreak your iPhone device
No you don't.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Here is an interesting one. I Wonder which will be best soundwise; A simple Källa-Boazu or a Klimax dsm-Lejonklou poweramp🤔
Fred
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Fred11 wrote: 2021-05-19 19:54 Here is an interesting one. I Wonder which will be best soundwise; A simple Källa-Boazu or a Klimax dsm-Lejonklou poweramp🤔
Fred
The better source always wins. Source first!
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

So exciting!
jajo

Post by jajo »

Incredible black box, for sure!
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I hope the question is appropriate - what is the rough timeframe until the launch?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

jajo wrote: 2021-05-20 21:59 Image
Great photo and the green colour.......looking forward to both :-)

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I originally put off my KDS/2 upgrade when this project first started in 2017, and have been biding my time waiting for KDS/4.

Now that Linn have taken a radically different approach to KDS upgrades and the Lejonklou streamer is finally in the final throes of development - looks like it is the right time for an upgrade.

I'm not sure I can really wait for the organik upgrade for existing KDS boxes - it is expected in 18 months/ 2 years.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

My latest intel is that manufacturing will start this Summer if everything goes according to plan. So the continent could see some in August but September may be a safer bet - especially for the US. Many parts have already arrived, but not all. Things are progressing very well, as you have heard, and I think the hardware design is basically complete. So keep your fingers crossed.
The LP12 Whisperer
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-04-17 22:17 Källa is a digital source component that will be released in 2021.

It's more simple to use than anything I've encountered.

It's more thrilling to listen to than any digital source that I've heard.

We are three people making it: I design and tune the hardware. A programmer writes and tunes the software. An engineer does the low level programming. Everything is built from the ground up. Over the last four years, we've made a lot of discoveries, repeatedly corrected the course, replaced each and every part multiple times, ditched the entire design and restarted it. Each time we've moved a little faster from sketches and diagrams to the working prototype. And each time we've gotten a little closer to our target. A source of endless thrills.

Now we're on the last stretch. I will write some news here every now and then.

This forum has the best members I have ever seen on an internet forum. The pool of knowledge, experience, wisdom, inspiration and innovation goes deep. There's a willingness to help and to be happy when others succeed. This is unique. By having an entire forum section for Källa there's room for many separate threads, like recommended components, user experiences, comparisons between streaming services, questions&answers and things I haven't even thought about. But you probably have already! I think this forum will push Källa even further.

Källa is one box only. And you'll need an Apple device.
Amazing! Great news!!!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

This is just such insanely good news!

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere but have you managed to eliminate differences between streaming services or do you have any preferred service to use with Källa?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Azazello wrote: 2021-06-09 13:32 This is just such insanely good news!

Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere but have you managed to eliminate differences between streaming services or do you have any preferred service to use with Källa?
It is indeed very good news and I can't wait to get my hands on one (several)! I believe the way Fredrik put it was that Källa will get the best of whatever streaming service you use with it. It will play as musically and engagingly as the source allows. Källa will be limited by the quality of the source material, both the masterings and the streaming service. The general consensus here seems to be that Spotify is currently the most musical of the streaming services and it is the one Fredrik has so far mentioned as most enjoyable.

I would imagine that the only way to eliminate differences between streaming services would be to homogenize everything that comes in to the lowest level. I don't expect that would be a recipe for the kind of musical joy the Källa was created to deliver. Just my thoughts on your questions.
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Correct, the streaming services differ in sound quality and there seems to be nothing we can do about that in Källa.

Yesterday Apple Music Lossless was compared with Spotify (highest quality setting but not lossless) and Spotify wins easily. Despite its lower data rate.

I still think there are a few tracks that are better on Youtube Music than Spotify. And perhaps a few on Quboz as well. But on most recordings, Spotify is currently the most musical streaming service.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-06-09 21:00 Correct, the streaming services differ in sound quality and there seems to be nothing we can do about that in Källa.

Yesterday Apple Music Lossless was compared with Spotify (highest quality setting but not lossless) and Spotify wins easily. Despite its lower data rate.

I still think there are a few tracks that are better on Youtube Music than Spotify. And perhaps a few on Quboz as well. But on most recordings, Spotify is currently the most musical streaming service.
And Spotify on Källa is better than Hakai/NAS with FLAC? Congratulations! That is fantastic!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Much better.

Thank you!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-06-09 21:59 Much better.
And Spotify HiFi is not yet released.......:-)

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677