AirPlaying Around

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

John
Very active member
Very active member

Spotify Hi-Fi

Post by John »

I doubt Spotify Hi-Fi has been released yet in the United States. I’m pretty sure Spotify will make an announcement when that is the case. I’m also thinking there will be an additional cost so that will have to be worked out as well. According to the information I have found, it will be released later this year so we likely have months before we see it. Are we convinced Spotify Hi-Fi will automatically be better than Premium?

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2021-02-22 ... tify-hifi/
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Spotify Hi-Fi

Post by matthias »

John wrote: 2021-05-09 13:52 I doubt Spotify Hi-Fi has been released yet in the United States.
Of course it has not been released yet. However, Spotify might try it in several countries with some users without announcement and without visibility in the app.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

matthias wrote: 2021-05-09 14:13
John wrote: 2021-05-09 13:52 I doubt Spotify Hi-Fi has been released yet in the United States.
Of course it has not been released yet. However, Spotify might try it in several countries with some users without announcement and without visibility in the app.

Matt
Ron The Mon certainly deserves that honor if that is the case!
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

Of course it has not been released yet.
Matt,
How do you know this? Where did you get that information? Spotify sounds better than all other streaming services now, and for the past ten-plus years. Yet, nobody seems to know it. So how would anyone know it's HiFi now unless Spotify tells them?

I predict that soon Spotify will announce they are loss-less, perfect-sound-forever, vaccinated and digititus-free, and especially bonafide. The Audiophiles will croon that it's about time. Everyone will be happy. Cats and dogs will be living in harmony.

The truth is, Spotify has sounded best all along. Why are Audiophiles now arguing about MQA? The problem with Tidal is Tidal! If Qobuz didn't advertise themselves as the best sound, why would anyone switch to them? I always evaluate via tune-dem but even using "hi-fi" terms, Spotify usually sounds best.

I launched my boat on Friday and plan on living there the next four months. Last year my main boat musical source was Spotify/Mac mini/Naim Nait/Kans. I sold the Nait and what I am hearing now sounds much better. The replacement amp is no Nait.

The new Spotify app sounds really good. I am amazed many here posting on the Källa thread have never tried Spotify "Local Files". I have streamed from my NAS and used USB through Spotify Local Files. It has always sounded good. Now it sounds amazing.

I know many people hate Apple. I know I do. However, how can you possibly think by building your own HAKAI, you are more knowledgable than a team at Apple? How can you think you are smarter using Volumio than a team from Spotify? If all parties are using tune-dem, you can't compete.

Ron The Mon
Kalle05

Post by Kalle05 »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-05-18 04:23
Of course it has not been released yet.
Matt,
How do you know this? Where did you get that information? Spotify sounds better than all other streaming services now, and for the past ten-plus years. Yet, nobody seems to know it. So how would anyone know it's HiFi now unless Spotify tells them?

I predict that soon Spotify will announce they are loss-less, perfect-sound-forever, vaccinated and digititus-free, and especially bonafide. The Audiophiles will croon that it's about time. Everyone will be happy. Cats and dogs will be living in harmony.

The truth is, Spotify has sounded best all along. Why are Audiophiles now arguing about MQA? The problem with Tidal is Tidal! If Qobuz didn't advertise themselves as the best sound, why would anyone switch to them? I always evaluate via tune-dem but even using "hi-fi" terms, Spotify usually sounds best.

I launched my boat on Friday and plan on living there the next four months. Last year my main boat musical source was Spotify/Mac mini/Naim Nait/Kans. I sold the Nait and what I am hearing now sounds much better. The replacement amp is no Nait.

The new Spotify app sounds really good. I am amazed many here posting on the Källa thread have never tried Spotify "Local Files". I have streamed from my NAS and used USB through Spotify Local Files. It has always sounded good. Now it sounds amazing.

I know many people hate Apple. I know I do. However, how can you possibly think by building your own HAKAI, you are more knowledgable than a team at Apple? How can you think you are smarter using Volumio than a team from Spotify? If all parties are using tune-dem, you can't compete.

Ron The Mon
I agree with Ron The Mon, Spotify is the best streamingservice.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: AirPlaying Around

Post by ThomasOK »

There is a new announcement from Apple that they are going to go lossless on the Apple Music streaming service. I wonder if they will give Spotify any competition. It is supposed to be capable of up to 24/192 depending on the bandwidth of the connection. The fact that they are making the biggest deal about including Dolby Atmos and added in essence "Oh yeah, it also does lossless", has me concerned. If they throw that encoding into the stereo data streams it would likely mess things up. It is coming in June at no extra charge to Apple Music subscribers so we don't have long to wait and find out.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-05-18 17:23 I wonder if they will give Spotify any competition.
IMO, for the serious music lover that means waiting for Spotify Hifi.

Matt
Matt

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-04-20 20:43 Split from the Four Years in the Making topic in the Källa forum

Matteo wrote: 2021-04-20 08:40
Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-04-20 00:48 AirPlay or AirPlay 2? Are you sure?

Over ethernet? What Apple devices? What ancillary equipment?
My device is an iPhone 8, updated with the last iOS version available.

Cables are BJC Cat 6.

The router is https://tech.everyeye.it/articoli/speci ... 49070.html. No switches are involved.
Matteo,
Three things:
1] What about your ADSM? I assumed you were using a Mac computer and not an iPhone; I don't want to assume you have AirPlay 2 on the ADSM. Many here are using old firmware on their DSMs because it sounds better.

2] In my opinion, any iPhone sounds mediocre transferring music via AirPlay. I have been recommending the Apple AirPort Express as a streamer for over eight years on this Forum, with not one person trying it! It sounds fantastic using Airplay (or AirPlay 2) sourced from a Mac. I also have used two Windows XP computers with the, discontinued, Rogue Amoeba AirPlay app streaming Fidelify (Spotify Super-App) to an AirPort Express. It sounded fantastic.

I wasn't aware there was an AirPlay 2 until recently when I picked up an AirPort Express for $20 and realized the firmware was updated over two years ago! The new-to-me AE is now a streamer/DAC/pre-amp into an old Marantz power amp and Kans. This system in my kitchen was requested by my wife. We had a SONOS single speaker and she requested another to fill the whole room.

I mention all this as the SONOS product is over $600 new. The AirPort Express, power amp, and Kans cost less than that (and with better resale value), are stereo, and sound better. I suggest anyone contemplating a Källa to purchase an AirPort Express and nail down the ancillary equipment first.

For those not aware, the AirPort Express is a router, streamer, DAC, headphone amplifier, preamp, and also turns a standard printer into wireless model (the original reason I bought one) via its' USB connector. It cost $100 new, and is still supported by Apple. It sounds better than any version AppleTV, which many use to stream. Buy one.

3] Why don't you use an ethernet switch? You recently posted about cache-cleaning (which is actually "drive-cleaning"). If you use Spotify or Qobuz, they sound better "streamed" online than played locally. If you A/B an ethernet switch, be sure to delete all music files on your computer first and compare streamed to streamed. The apps revert to local files automatically. I made the mistake of removing my switch years ago because it sounded better. It took me many months to realize it sounded better because I was comparing local files to local files and little was actually going through the switch.

Ron The Mon
Apple-Fan
Ron,we have all been reading your scriptures over the past few years and I personally enjoy the evangelical levels you can reach at times as it is very sanctifying,but I notice here you are complaining that not one person has blindly followed your recommendation.

Without any evidence Ron,why should we!?

Thanks in advance for your Kalla VS Wee Mac Mini thingy clips .
Last edited by Lego on 2021-06-09 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
I know that tune
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

It’s worth pointing out that Ron has recently downgraded his view of the Airport Express to “audiophile” after noticing that it lacks the swing of the Mac mini headphone output.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Spannko wrote: 2021-06-09 16:16 It’s worth pointing out that Ron has recently downgraded his view of the Airport Express to “audiophile” after noticing that it lacks the swing of the Mac mini headphone output.
Thanks for that update Brother Spannko ,duly edited
I know that tune
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Today I finally tried my idea to use an Apple TV and Numerik as a low budget Spotify streamer. It works surprisingly good. I use the optical out from the Apple TV into a optical to coax converter into the Numerik. I can't judge the sound quality because I have nothing to compare with. Well, it sounds quite a bit better than chrome cast audio :)
Numerik1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Very interesting article and discussion I would like to share with you:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and ... lay-r1026/

Matt
Matt