Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lejonklou Boazu Integrated Amp

Post by lejonklou »

Boazu upgrade cost, from version 1.1 to 1.3:

The approximate price in Sweden is SEK2500 incl VAT, plus shipping.
The approximate price in Europe is €250 incl VAT, plus shipping.
The approximate price in the US is $300.
The approximate price in the UK is presently unclear due to Brexit. :(
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-01-15 13:16 Boazu upgrade cost, from version 1.1 to 1.3:

The approximate price in the UK is presently unclear due to Brexit. :(
Oh that Brexit ....
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Hi!

I've noticed something. On my Bouzu if I only have the left channel cable connected to the left output on my bluray player
there's a hum in the speakers. If I connect that cable to the right output on the bluray player instead, the hum stops.
Also with both cables connected as normal there's no problem.

Do you think there's a ground/shield problem on the left output on my player or something else?
And is there something more I can check or do to troubleshoot this?

..but It's quite an old bluray-player and it's been tortured in the past with connecting and disconnecting super tight
Linn Silver cables so maybe I shouldn't be that suprised.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The way you describe it, it does sound like the ground is missing on the left output of your bluray player.

If you have a multimeter, you can measure the resistance between left and right grounds on the bluray player. If it's not close to zero ohms between them, the left one is likely broken.

Have you fixed the super tight Linn interconnects? You need to. Things do break when the RCA barrel is too tight.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Thanks for the answer!
Yes. It was the ground missing on the left channel. It was quite easy to repair though so everything is up and running again :)
And I did fix my Linn Interconnects last year but the damage was probably already done by then. I only happened to notice it yesterday.

Edit: Since this is a Boazu thread I'm going to ask, why is the upgrade skipping 1.2 and going directly to 1.3?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2021-01-22 19:25Edit: Since this is a Boazu thread I'm going to ask, why is the upgrade skipping 1.2 and going directly to 1.3?
It didn't skip 1.2, there were two changes:

With 1.2 I finally found a surface mount resistor that sounds not just different but actually a little better than the through hole resistors I have been using before in this position. It wasn't an easy comparison and we did go back and forth many times before concluding that the new resistors were an overall musical improvement.

With 1.3 I replaced a capacitor by simply ordering a bunch of alternatives with identical specifications and listening to them all. Many sounded almost identical, but one stood out by sounding considerably more open and "alive".

These two changes were released together, because I feel they complement one another.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I kinda have the feeling that the Sagatun might use the same resistors and capacitor in their power supplies- is there reason for hope it also improves those ... and maybe other products?
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-01-24 17:55
Whatsmynaim wrote: 2021-01-22 19:25Edit: Since this is a Boazu thread I'm going to ask, why is the upgrade skipping 1.2 and going directly to 1.3?
It didn't skip 1.2, there were two changes:
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info and quick reply!
ncs12

Post by ncs12 »

This might be the daftest ever question. Sorry, I am about to connect my subwoofer and just wanted to check the left and right orientation at the Boazu end.... Is left and right looking head on at the amp or at the back of the amp?

Chris
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ncs12 wrote: 2021-01-28 10:29 This might be the daftest ever question. Sorry, I am about to connect my subwoofer and just wanted to check the left and right orientation at the Boazu end.... Is left and right looking head on at the amp or at the back of the amp?
Hi Chris!

Before you connect your subwoofer, please read this carefully: https://www.lejonklou.com/tips/how-to-c ... -to-boazu/

Regarding left and right, the answer is that it depends on which side you have put the left inputs and on which side you have put the right.

The early Boazu had Left and Right printed on the rear. Later ones don't, they just have two sides and you pick one to be left and the other to be right.

I should perhaps return to the printed Left and Right, because you're not the only one who's asked.
ncs12

Post by ncs12 »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-01-28 10:40
ncs12 wrote: 2021-01-28 10:29 This might be the daftest ever question. Sorry, I am about to connect my subwoofer and just wanted to check the left and right orientation at the Boazu end.... Is left and right looking head on at the amp or at the back of the amp?
Hi Chris!

Before you connect your subwoofer, please read this carefully: https://www.lejonklou.com/tips/how-to-c ... -to-boazu/

Regarding left and right, the answer is that it depends on which side you have put the left inputs and on which side you have put the right.

The early Boazu had Left and Right printed on the rear. Later ones don't, they just have two sides and you pick one to be left and the other to be right.

I should perhaps return to the printed Left and Right, because you're not the only one who's asked.
Thank you. Good to know I am not alone:-)

Chris
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Fred11 wrote: 2021-01-15 09:08 Being one of the lucky Boazu 1.3 owners, here is a short report on how it males music in my system.
Important to mention that it is in the process of braking in. From the beginning it has been softening more and more for the last four days. I should also mention that I have one more Boazu 1.1 which now sits in my second system and plays beautifully.
I have a lp12-lingo 4-kore-Aro-adikt-Gaio and a Linn krds-1 into Jern 14 ds speakers (wonderful musical Danish speakers). From the outset the two upgrades sounds quite musically better. It sounds clearer and have more precision. Interplay, shifts and elements is even easier to discern than before. It even feels more agile and tight and also as if it has more power(!). It could be that is not fully broken in yet and that these are to early conclusions, but this is my first take on the Boazu 1.3. Recommended!
F
Having now lived with the 1.3 for about a month I think the greatest difference from 1.1 is that 1.3 sounds a little tighter and ads precision. This gives greater insight into the musical piece. The tightness improves the temporal prat-thing. A little more engaging than earlier also.. The difference is quit apparent. Love playing music through it🎸
F
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Fred11 wrote: 2021-02-09 14:03 Having now lived with the 1.3 for about a month I think the greatest difference from 1.1 is that 1.3 sounds a little tighter and ads precision. This gives greater insight into the musical piece. The tightness improves the temporal prat-thing. A little more engaging than earlier also.. The difference is quit apparent. Love playing music through it🎸
Thank you for the update, Fred11!

I just received a message from ThomasOK, who said I had seriously understated the improvement from 1.1 to 1.3.
So apparently he likes it too!
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

👍👍🎸🎸👏👏
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I'll add myself to the Boazu UK upgrade waiting list. Hopefully Boris will usher in the amazing sunlit uplands of Global Britain shortly.
Pete

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-03-08 13:34 Hopefully Boris will usher in the amazing sunlit uplands of Global Britain shortly.
Indeed. That is scheduled for immediately after the flypast of pigs waving union jacks...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-02-14 22:27
Fred11 wrote: 2021-02-09 14:03 Having now lived with the 1.3 for about a month I think the greatest difference from 1.1 is that 1.3 sounds a little tighter and ads precision. This gives greater insight into the musical piece. The tightness improves the temporal prat-thing. A little more engaging than earlier also.. The difference is quit apparent. Love playing music through it🎸
Thank you for the update, Fred11!

I just received a message from ThomasOK, who said I had seriously understated the improvement from 1.1 to 1.3.
So apparently he likes it too!
I should have replied to this sooner. I was quite pleased and surprised with the first upgrade I had done. It felt to me much like dialing the lens from something that is just a little out of focus to being perfectly in focus. It feels like the musicians are more there and the texture and power of drums were definitely better. A very nice improvement. Some early reports: one customer said it "added a little more definition/control to the mids and lows", a dealer said "It's great! It's way more insightful, texture and tone fuller somehow-loved it right out of the box". I have already done 9 upgrades here, one more unit arrived today and another is on the way in. Then I will have a little break until I get in some more upgrade kits!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Kriebelycz

Post by Kriebelycz »

Since today I own a Boazu 1.3. The serial no. is 077, so I am wondering why it is so low.Are there only a few Boazu's sold, or does the numbering start again after a new update?
Btw the sound is amazing, the Boazu is driving a set of QLN Sonora's which really sing for the first time.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Kriebelycz wrote: 2021-04-07 21:37 Since today I own a Boazu 1.3. The serial no. is 077, so I am wondering why it is so low.Are there only a few Boazu's sold, or does the numbering start again after a new update?
Btw the sound is amazing, the Boazu is driving a set of QLN Sonora's which really sing for the first time.
Hi Kriebelycz!

It makes me happy to read that you enjoy your Boazu!

The serial numbers of my products always start at 001 and then follows 002, etc. If there's a new version, the numbers just continue up from the last one, they don't start over.

Personally, I feel that 80 delivered Boazu's is quite an achievement. There's a lot of work that goes into each one and I do most of it myself.

First, all the components are bought, measured and selected into groups (I have an intern that helps me with this). Everything is packed and shipped to the company that makes the circuit boards. At the same time, they get a pallet of painted, empty cases from my casemaking company. I have made it a habit of unpacking and inspecting all the cases myself, because then I know how many good looking cases they have, before they start assembling.

When the Boazu's eventually return to me, they have the main circuit board, power supplies, front panel parts and feet fitted. Then I do the final assembly. It consists of 25 steps, such as fitting the front panel, soldering the output transistors, adjusting the voltage to the processor, loading the firmware, measuring 15 key parameters, etc. Finally I connect the Boazu to the lab system and let it play music while I work on something else. If all is good, I polish it up and pack it down. These final steps takes about half a day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't run a factory. It's more like a little studio where only one thing is being made at a time. And I absolutely love running this studio, building my products and hearing from happy owners. I doubt there's a better job on the planet.

Today I'm starting with Boazu number 081.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

In essence, what makes the difference me thinks!
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Discodave wrote: 2021-04-08 14:51 In essence, what makes the difference me thinks!
Agreed...(+1)
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Most definitely! How many people in the industry care enough to put this kind of work into even their entry level designs? I guess I'll be seeing Boazu 081 before too long.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Fredrik's entry level = performance not achieved at any level at many other companies
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
PetterS

Post by PetterS »

Kriebelycz wrote: 2021-04-07 21:37 Since today I own a Boazu 1.3. The serial no. is 077, so I am wondering why it is so low.Are there only a few Boazu's sold, or does the numbering start again after a new update?
And I'm the proud owner of 078. Its an amazing box of sparkling, multidimensional and pure sound distribution. My Ninkas are smiling to me every day.
Primare Np5 & NP30, Genki, Boazu, Ninka w. Poly. st., ICs: Linn Si & bl incl. dig, tt TD46,
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Yes, I also feel very lucky to be listening to music through Boazu each day.
Pete