Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by Charlie1 »

I've been streaming his new one a bit - seems pretty good so I might get the vinyl. Can't believe he's now 79 !
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

beck wrote: 2020-12-03 12:17
Tendaberry wrote: 2020-12-03 11:46 I first bought Modern Times on cd and was very disappointed. Then I bought in on US vinyl and it was a totally different, very enjoyable record.
Good to hear that I am not alone on this Tendaberry! :-)
I've just ordered a US vinyl, so let's see what that brings.

Though as per above, I've always liked Modern Times and I can assure you the hifi I had when it came out in 2006 (come to think of it I was living in England then so my CD my be a UK one if that matters) was nothing to write home about. So, at the end of the day great songs (which is an entirely subjective metric) supersede both the recording session and the record. That hierarchy is a bitch, haha!
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Tendaberry also got me into buying vinyl from US directly - I just ordered Bruce Springsteen Letter to you and others on Amazon Us - buy 3 pay 2 and one week after the order I have the LPs arrived today.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Klout was delivered a couple of days ago.

This track plays havoc with my normal iphone - the piano is just too 'hot' for it. However, the replacement work phone has a constant hum - probably as a result of dropping it several times. It's not as tuneful as the iPhone but you do get more sense of the sound in the room...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7scifqy40q0jg ... 4.mp4?dl=0
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-12-04 14:24 Klout was delivered a couple of days ago.

This track plays havoc with my normal iphone - the piano is just too 'hot' for it. However, the replacement work phone has a constant hum - probably as a result of dropping it several times. It's not as tuneful as the iPhone but you do get more sense of the sound in the room...
Apart from that cardboard box leaning on the right speaker,sounds good to me.Dont think that's convinced me you're not a neat nick Charlie1 :0)
How does the sound compare to the Naims ?
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

:)

Timing is so important to me that I just about prefer the Naim overall. I can relax and more easily make sense of the music whereas the Linn is taking more processing power to join it all up. But I am aware on some tracks more than others that the Naim setup doesn't dig as much emotion and meaning from the music. I had a new experience yesterday - there was a song on a live album which I'd listened to a lot and I genuinely didn't recall ever hearing this track before - it must have just gone in one ear and out the other!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I have to thank beck (twice*) along with Fredrik & Tom, as well as the convenience that is streaming: sitting here typing this (obviously ;) while listening to Dylan's Thunder on the Mountain, following on from Springsteen's Racing in the Street (thanks to Matteo)
With a subscription to a streaming service, it's so easy to find & play tracks that are posted here; thanks to Fredrik's electronics & Tom as US distributor, and provider of modified speakers, it's easy to enjoy a wealth of music that I'd never think to buy on vinyl... Why not on vinyl? Because I do not count myself as a Dylan or a Springsteen fan, but I can't help but find enjoyment in almost anything that's played. Cheers!

* for this thread, and for his recent post & enthusiasm - is that 3 times? :)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-12-04 15:24 :)

Timing is so important to me that I just about prefer the Naim overall. I can relax and more easily make sense of the music whereas the Linn is taking more processing power to join it all up. But I am aware on some tracks more than others that the Naim setup doesn't dig as much emotion and meaning from the music. I had a new experience yesterday - there was a song on a live album which I'd listened to a lot and I genuinely didn't recall ever hearing this track before - it must have just gone in one ear and out the other!
Aren't you kontradicting yourself, a bit, Charlie1? :) Unless I'm reading this wrong, you say the Klout takes more processing power to join up, but then say that the live album track 'joined up' in a way that the Naim hadn't... If it had always gone in one ear and out the other, it doesn't sound like it was processing power that allowed you to hear it; rather that it was tune (vs p.r.a.t. ;) coming through without conscious effort.

I know the timing has been a bit of an issue for you through all of your fun & findings, and I can't help but think that the 'barik positioning must be a bit tricky in that room especially with the upward firing drivers interacting with the sloped ceiling - have you tried tweaking the speakers, yet, with the Klout?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-12-04 18:22 Aren't you kontradicting yourself, a bit, Charlie1? :) Unless I'm reading this wrong, you say the Klout takes more processing power to join up, but then say that the live album track 'joined up' in a way that the Naim hadn't... If it had always gone in one ear and out the other, it doesn't sound like it was processing power that allowed you to hear it; rather that it was tune (vs p.r.a.t. ;) coming through without conscious effort.

I know the timing has been a bit of an issue for you through all of your fun & findings, and I can't help but think that the 'barik positioning must be a bit tricky in that room especially with the upward firing drivers interacting with the sloped ceiling - have you tried tweaking the speakers, yet, with the Klout?
I can easily confuse folks :0). The Naim amps make it easier for me to join the dots and make sense of the music. Normally that would mean they are the most musical amp. But I'm not so sure. To my ears, the Linn amps are better at conveying musicanship and emotion. So, I'm in a weird position where the most tuneful / musical amps cannot be enjoyed as much as the Naim ones, simply cos 'something' timing related gets in the way. To be honest, this has been the same with all Linn amps in various setups so I doubt it's just a setup thing. In fact, I suspect this is why I opted for Exposure instead of Linn amps back in the late 80s - couldn't afford Naim pre/power.

You know, I've not touched the Briks since they were first setup. I was thinking today that I might try them a bit further apart.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sounds pretty darn good to me.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I love the look and sound of your Sondek Charlie1! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-12-04 18:12 I have to thank beck (twice*) along with Fredrik & Tom............................Because I do not count myself as a Dylan or a Springsteen fan, but I can't help but find enjoyment in almost anything that's played. Cheers!
Cheers tokenbrit! :-)

Did any of my weird ideas turn out to be useful to you?
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

beck wrote: 2020-12-04 20:03
tokenbrit wrote: 2020-12-04 18:12 I have to thank beck (twice*) along with Fredrik & Tom............................Because I do not count myself as a Dylan or a Springsteen fan, but I can't help but find enjoyment in almost anything that's played. Cheers!
Cheers tokenbrit! :-)

Did any of my weird ideas turn out to be useful to you?
No. Maybe. Yes :D Truth be told I haven't tried (m)any of them here - our systems are different enough; and I am happy with the musical performance - but the weird idea of starting this thread, and all of the contributions, have been invaluable.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

That's the best I've heard from your 'briks so far...but I might be a bit biased. ;-)

Speaking of bias, have you had the Klout serviced yet? I've been contemplating recapping mine. Despite being one of the last Klouts made, it's now old enough to vote so I'm sure it's not performing at its best with 18 year old caps.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks. Yes, the previous owner had it done by Class A using Linn components.

Also thanks Thomas and beck for your comments.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

markiteight wrote: 2020-12-04 21:48

That's the best I've heard from your 'briks so far...but I might be a bit biased. ;-)

Speaking of bias, have you had the Klout serviced yet? I've been contemplating recapping mine. Despite being one of the last Klouts made, it's now old enough to vote so I'm sure it's not performing at its best with 18 year old caps.
I am in the same position,except mine are sounding really good.What would happen if I didn't recap then Markiteight?
.ps congratulations on your new moderator role .How's the job going so far ?
I know that tune
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Lego wrote: 2020-12-05 07:20 I am in the same position,except mine are sounding really good.What would happen if I didn't recap then Markiteight?
I'm not an electronics expert and I expect there are others on this forum who can better answer your question, but from what I gather electrolytic capacitors have a typical useful lifespan of about 15-20 years, beyond which their performance drifts outside their tolerance limits and alters the behavior of the circuit in which they are installed. How much this affects the circuit's performance varies, but it stands to reason it won't perform as the designer intended. Left too long and the component's basic operation can be compromised. Case in point: with my 35 year old, never been serviced Nait there is a crackling/popping noise for several minutes after power up, and the volume balance between left and right channels constantly drifts. It's out of commission until I can get it serviced as I'm not keen on seeing what happens when something goes "pop".

I'm in a similar situation as you. My Klout sounds great, but without a factory fresh Klout to compare it with I don't know if its up to its full potential. The problem is you can't just throw a handful of caps at your amp and expect it to perform like new. In fact I've heard stories of recapped Klouts performing worse than they did with their original worn out parts. Those of you in the U.K. and Europe are lucky to have access to facilities like Class A that will do the work to factory specs, using the correct parts. Here in the U.S. I'm kinda on my own to figure it out.
Lego wrote: 2020-12-05 07:20 .ps congratulations on your new moderator role .How's the job going so far ?
Thanks! It's only been a few days but so far it's going swimmingly.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Ha, to begin with I just thought that you had been playing around with the colours! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

As the caps fade musical quality goes down but if they fail catastrophically they can take your speakers out along with the amp. In the location where we moved our store to in March (I guess I didn't mention we were in a new location) there is also a really excellent repair service named Muse Audio Repair. The owner, Jeff, has worked on a number of Linn products for us, including several Klouts, and the owners have been quite happy. I haven't done a direct comparison of the sound of a rebuilt machine and an original but he is very exacting about using the best caps, much like what I use when rebuilding Valhallas and Lingo 1s. So they would be worth checking out. The one downside is that they have so much work they are currently about 6 months behind (COVID-19 has increased the number of people wanting to fix their old gear as well as those looking for new).
The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Before: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nn8xprdpp6qi ... 2.mov?dl=0

Now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0fzzn3pfv2jo ... 9.mov?dl=0

I hear better musical timing at the end and softer on the ears from the “Now” setup. Do you agree?
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

sorry, I much prefer the 'before' clip.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm a little surprised you prefer Now. It seems a bit more "pulled apart" to me. Although it was initially impressive, with repeated listening I think I might like Before better. But neither of them has me too excited.
The LP12 Whisperer
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

That is why I love you guys!

I can always get a straight answer. :-)

I have to listen more to find out if I agree with you though........
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I bought an unserviced 32.5 to try and decide once and for all if I prefer serviced or unserviced preamps.

I've had no choice but to service power amps cos they've not sounded quite right or had already been serviced but there are definitely things I like about unserviced equipment.

1.) Serviced 32.5 with serviced phono cards: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mn1ir69ww1ut ... 3.MOV?dl=0
2.) Serviced 32.5 with unserviced phono cards: https://www.dropbox.com/s/589xna3nbqv78 ... 4.MOV?dl=0
3.) Unserviced 32.5 with unserviced phono cards: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2v5thurbx45cm ... 5.MOV?dl=0
4.) Unserviced 32.5 with serviced phono boards: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0n6rf57iklm9 ... 6.MOV?dl=0

Totally understand if folks have better things to do as I know 4 clips is a right pain. Comparing just 1 and 3 would still be useful though.

EDIT: All units/cards were cold. Sorry, just realised the volumes are different between the first and second pair of clips. Maybe just balance out using dropbox volume. I set them the same on the dial and didn't notice a difference in the room :(
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2020-12-05 19:33, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-12-05 19:11 I'm a little surprised you prefer Now. It seems a bit more "pulled apart" to me.
Yes, that's what I hear too. And so also quite surprised.
beck wrote: 2020-12-05 19:17 That is why I love you guys!

I can always get a straight answer. :-)
Me too :)