Karousel

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Mikeg

Re: Karousel

Post by Mikeg »

Mine was one of the first Karousels and didn't have any plug or cap supplied. I have seen one shaped like a cone on the latest Linncast youtube video. Is this the latest one or has it been replaced?

I am happy to have a go at torqueing the base nut but just how important is getting this one right?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The new cap is black and hex shaped to fit over the top nut. How important the torque is on the thrust pad cap is a tough one. I do hear a difference and liked 2.4Nm +2 notches. This appears to be relatively close to what Linn has been using as it can usually loosen it at this setting but it varies and some are tightened a bit more. However, the latest information from Linn shows a fair bit higher figure for the thrust pad cap, higher than I have seen any actually fastened at. I am a little leery of trying it that high and don't currently have a precision torque driver that covers as high a range as mentioned.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-09-03 16:41 However, the latest information from Linn shows a fair bit higher figure for the thrust pad cap, higher than I have seen any actually fastened at. I am a little leery of trying it that high and don't currently have a precision torque driver that covers as high a range as mentioned.
What torque are they suggesting?

It must be over 4.0 Nm if the Sturtevant-Richmont CAL 36/4 doesn't cover it.

Any clue as to why Linn have changed both their recommended torques? Is it because I have been whining? ;)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I think it is highly unlikely that Linn would change anything because YOU have been whining! ;-) After all you saw how well they reacted when I whined about the Trampolin/Urika-Radikal problem (which I had to fix for another customer yesterday).

I'm also not sure Linn is actually changing the thrust plate cap torque as they hadn't previously published one, and I have still yet to see one come through with so high a torque. I didn't list the torque as it is in a dealer only document so I'm not sure I am supposed to put it out there but it is north of 6Nm.
The LP12 Whisperer
Chrisk09

Post by Chrisk09 »

I recently removed the Tiger Paw Tranquillity from my Cirkus bearing in preparation for my upcoming Karousel bearing upgrade. The Tranquillity had been in place since August 2017 which I bought with the proceeds of my 60th birthday donations. When it was fitted I immediately noticed a lowering in noise floor and increased dynamics which was impressive. Shortly afterwards, I was diagnosed with bowel cancer (thankfully I have now fully recovered) so my serious listening went on hold during my treatment. Since my recovery my interest in music has returned and I upgraded my old hicap to a dual teddycap which was combined with a chrome bumper Naim 62/140 and Shahinian Arcs. The texdycap wrought an immediate improvement over the aged hicap. However, I had a constant feeling that something was not quite right. My LP12 with DV20X2L, Kore Ekos1, Tramp2 was very impressive but I was forever messing with speaker positioning in an effect to firm up the stereo image. I had noticed a subtle but nevertheless noticeable shift in centre image to the left or right. I could never really place vocals centrally. Naturally I suspected speaker position and/ or room acoustics.

Fast forward to yesterday when the Tranquility was removed. I had almost forgotten the tranquility was there thb. Immediately I heard the soundstage centre fill with instruments and vocals firmly anchored in position within the soundstage. I also noticed a more fuller bass but most obvious was that the ebb and flow of the music was restored. PRAT was there in spadefulls.

Now I know that the Tranquility was robbing my Linn of its greatest strengths in favour of a cleaner and more dynamic portrayal of music that many people may prefer.

I currently have Karousel bearing on order along with Lingo4 power supply to replace Lingo1. Hopefully these items will be fitted in the next few weeks (I have waited 6 weeks already) and if the Karousel builds on the strengths of the cirkus with the dynamics of the Tranquility and retains the LP12's rhythmic sound then I am in for a real treat.

Only time will tell...
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Welcome Chrisk09 and great you got the PRAT back.

It is so easy to get caught up in sound and forget the music in this hobby. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Chrisk09

Post by Chrisk09 »

Thanks Beck
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Welcome Chris and glad you can once again enjoy your hobby.
Chrisk09

Post by Chrisk09 »

Thank you. I am certainly getting a lot of enjoyment atm. Karousel and lingo4 are eagerly awaited...
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Welcome Chris on the best place on planet :-) ...
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Welcome Chris. I think you'll be quite pleased with the upgrades. I had one customer who had a Tranquility shipped to me to fit to one of his LP12s. Neither he nor I found it musically convincing so he returned it for a refund. Have fun with your system, I've always wanted to hear the Arcs.
The LP12 Whisperer
Chrisk09

Post by Chrisk09 »

Thanks Thomas. The Arcs are the one thing in my system that will remain a permanent fixture (discounting the LP12 of course). imho they are an amazing speaker capable of truly great things if matched with the right source and amplification. They never cease to amaze me as I upgrade parts of my system. They always rise to the challenge...
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

My experience of the karousel was that for the first 50/60 hours, the music appeared hyper-detailed but disjointed (similar to the black T-Kable) and with a muddy bass.

After those period, all became very musical ... a truly joy to listen to.

M.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Matteo wrote: 2020-09-16 10:48 My experience of the karousel was that for the first 50/60 hours, the music appeared hyper-detailed but disjointed (similar to the black T-Kable) and with a muddy bass.

After those period, all became very musical ... a truly joy to listen to.

M.
Hi Matteo,
what torque value did you use to tighten the karousel?
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Nicolav wrote: 2020-09-17 06:57 Hi Matteo,
The dealer used those recommended by Linn.

M.
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Matteo wrote: 2020-09-17 08:02
Nicolav wrote: 2020-09-17 06:57 Hi Matteo,
The dealer used those recommended by Linn.

M.
The latest, 3.5 Nm?
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Nicolav wrote: 2020-09-17 11:44
The latest, 3.5 Nm?
Yes
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Matteo wrote: 2020-09-17 17:44
Nicolav wrote: 2020-09-17 11:44
The latest, 3.5 Nm?
Yes
Thanks Matteo
Chrisk09

Post by Chrisk09 »

The Karousel and Lingo4 was fitted yesterday and what can I say. Incredible improvement. More separation of instruments and rhythms. Soundstage is huge in terms of width and depth and such realism to the vocals. I am still running it in. It has been left running at 45rpm when not in use so I expect further gains.

One thing I have noticed is that the armboard and platter now sit a little higher than before. Armboard is now 1 to 2mm higher than the plinth.
ITB

Post by ITB »

After ThomasOk's post about the lower torque setting (page 21) I have made some recordings at 4.0Nm and 3.4Nm.
I've also tried some other settings but 3.4Nm is the best sounding for me.
To hear the different torque settings by your own ears, I've put 6 tracks in a zip-file.
The link opens a page with some text and the zip-file. (This is my personal server.)
Karousel zip
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ITB wrote: 2020-09-20 13:07 After ThomasOk's post about the lower torque setting (page 21) I have made some recordings at 4.0Nm and 3.4Nm.
I've also tried some other settings but 3.4Nm is the best sounding for me.
To hear the different torque settings by your own ears, I've put 6 tracks in a zip-file.
The link opens a page with some text and the zip-file. (This is my personal server.)
Karousel zip
Thank you Ido! Highly appreciated.

Is this torque used on the upper nut only?

What torque have you used for the lower nut (cap)?
ITB

Post by ITB »

This torque is only for the upper nut, lower nut is Linn standard torque.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ITB wrote: 2020-09-20 13:20 This torque is only for the upper nut, lower nut is Linn standard torque.
Which standard Linn torque? I know of three. They haven't exactly got their act together on this.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Only listening to Dreamer the difference is obvious to me. 3.4 is more musical and my preferred torque. Great work! :-)

Please come with a bid on my blind tests too if you can. Regards beck

Have listened to Elvis too. 3.4 has a more relaxed “human” sound like seeing him moving his hips more. 4.0 sounds stiff compared.
Playing cd’s…………
ITB

Post by ITB »

Good question, also for me. (Maybe ThomasOk has the answer?)
For now I leave the botom nut untouched because it is "factory fitted" (now we know with different torque settings).
To lower the upper nut torque to 3.4Nm for me opens up the music.
Further investigation at the lower nut will be welcome. Time for me to set the LP12 in the craddle? Who knows.....