Random thoughts on hifi

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Random thoughts on hifi

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote: 2020-08-15 07:14 To me personally music comes alive when I forget the sound.
Yeah, me too.

The acid test for me comes when the music finishes, especially if I'm working or doing stuff around the house. Do I even notice? Is there a sense of dissapointment and desire to play something else? Do I sit down for work in the morning and look forward to playing something? Does the system have that "pull" that keeps drawing me back for more, or am I just going through the motions out of habit or sense of obligation cos I've invested a lot on money in it all.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I like your “test” Charlie1 and it reminds me of what I have experienced many times with my Sondek.

A track is playing and I have to get out of the house to get to work. I stand up and go to the turntable to lift the arm but somehow I just linger in front of the Sondek for minutes listening on.
I really have to make an effort to force myself to stop the music. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thinking back on Charlie1’s Majik versus Valhalla Sondek I see two camps. One camp who wants things to be as orderly and well structured as possible and another who wants as much out of the feeling of rythm and chord changes as possible.

Both wishes are understandable but have difficulty co-existIng.

The structured approach creates problems with the overall frame of the music and the “feeling” approach creates problems with a “packed” sound.

I do not think this will ever be solved. You simply have to choose what makes sense to you.

To me it is simple. Music is life. Life is messy.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

That makes sense to me.

If correct, then I suspect folks sit at various points along a line between the two camps, rather than just be 100% one way or the other.

And each component or upgrade must also sit at a different point along that line.

This could explain some of the results although think id need to draw a diagram to explain it properly.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I tried to visualise your theory and not sure I can make it work...

Hope folks don't mind me picking on them.

In the amp one, I'm where I am cos I can hear some benefit to the Linn amps over the Naim ones, whereas AlbannachFE didn't seem to get anything enjoyable from the Linn amps. But then assuming Fredik is more to the right then the Karousel would have to have a very steep drop-off. And if AlbannachFE were to say that he prefers the Karousel then surely it all falls apart?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

:-)

I do not think that any hifi product (or person) is clean cut the one or the other making your comparison more difficult.

If trying the above out I think you have to look at the end product and what people like. Still it will be complex.

No man or hifi product is perfect. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-08-25 10:12 I tried to visualise your theory and not sure I can make it work...

Hope folks don't mind me picking on them.

In the amp one, I'm where I am cos I can hear some benefit to the Linn amps over the Naim ones, whereas AlbannachFE didn't seem to get anything enjoyable from the Linn amps. But then assuming Fredik is more to the right then the Karousel would have to have a very steep drop-off. And if AlbannachFE were to say that he prefers the Karousel then surely it all falls apart?
I know Ivor would be glad to see his amps on the right towards the deeper blue :0)
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote:
I know Ivor would be glad to see his amps on the right towards the deeper blue :0)
Ha ha, although I wonder if he is quite so positive about the current government
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

It is sad and satisfying at the same time.

The really magical moments listening to music at home is connected directly to the analog period of recording for me.

The moments that could make me use a lot of money on hifi.

These moments seem to be out of reach with digital recordings for me. Great sound but ultimately the connection is lost.

Like with a love that is lost it will never be the same again.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I think I know what you mean. Those special moments when you really 'feel' something in reaction to the music.

A good tune can transcend quite poor replay but, I think you're right, you're not going to get those special moments.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I was in the same boat but since I built my first Hakai I enjoy digital music as much if not more than vinyl.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Seems that I have to build a Hakai. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

beck wrote: 2020-09-01 13:29 Seems that I have to build a Hakai. :-)
I think it would be wise Beck. My struggles with my Linn Ikemi lasted fifteen years. After I plugged in my Pono player and got significantly higher quality sound than the Ikemi could manage I knew my days of spinning silver discs were largely over. I tried many streamers before getting to the Hakai including a Cambridge Audio one at over £1k. None of them were in the same league as the Hakai.

I keep two universal players, one Cambridge Audio B752 (similar in build to the Oppo players) and one Marantz player I picked up for €2k in Amsterdam. DVD Audio, SACD etc. are a little better in my experience than CD but still not even close to playing flac files.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

What I really find interesting now that everything I put in my cd player comes out as music (to me) is why some recordings (mainly digital masters) makes my ears slowly close down and others (mainly analog masters) makes my ears want more.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

beck wrote: 2020-09-01 19:20 What I really find interesting now that everything I put in my cd player comes out as music (to me) is why some recordings (mainly digital masters) makes my ears slowly close down and others (mainly analog masters) makes my ears want more.
With a small piece of felt in the cd tray of my cd player the above statement is old hat and I am out of work. Nothing left for me to do other than listening to (Sibelius symphony no. 2 right now) and hunting more cd’s. The “hifi” is gone. The music is here.

Does this mean I can stop posting clips? I expect so...........(seriously out of work now)..... :-)

P.S. Do you know what swedes think of Sibelius?

“ Han är så jävla tråkig! “
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

This should be in the Playground section as I've heard this tune before. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-09-10 17:34 This should be in the Playground section as I've heard this tune before. ;-)
It was Thomas, you where just otherwise engaged!

I can make an encore just like Frank Sinatra did.......several times. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Sorry to hear you’re out of work beck ☹️

Can you describe your felt mod? I think it sounds very, very good and may be of benefit to the dinosaurs still playing cds 😮
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Spannko wrote: 2020-09-10 20:12 Sorry to hear you’re out of work beck ☹️

Can you describe your felt mod? I think it sounds very, very good and may be of benefit to the dinosaurs still playing cds 😮
Yes, I will make it a little more clear what has happened to my cd sound and what I did. Coming soon on Netflix!.... sorry on the playground! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

LG V30 arriving tomorrow to be used purely as a portable digital audio player.

Stereophile and others seem to think it's up to the task.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/lg- ... tphone-mqa

Going for Neutron player or UAPP. Anyone have experience of either?

Test files and cables ready. £136 was more attractive than £799 in 2018.

Hearing a sigma delta DAC next to my R2R will be very interesting.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

A small story:

My father and his brother amused themselves by playing a game with some mentally disabled people coming past the farm when they were young.
An asylum for those people was placed near by.

My father would offer the person to take one of two coins. A big one not worth much and a smaller one worth more.
They always chose the bigger one. The game became an ongoing event.

Who fooled who?

An experiment was performed to show the difference between mp3 and higher resolution music files. Normal people should listen and choose what they liked the best.
Mp3 came out as the winner.

Who is being fooled?

Hifi can be a lot like the above.

Confusing and multisided. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

And peopled by a fair few companies who would like to make you think the biggest, shiniest and most expensive pieces of gear are the most musical. When in reality the opposite is often true.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I'm with the science on HiRes. In my view the one really good thing to come from the HiRes movement is a whole array of digital remasters that are often better than any CD of the album.

The LG V30 does sound good through my HiFi and will serve its purpose as a portable audio player.

It also confirmed to me how much I prefer my R2R DAC to an (in theory) flashier sigma delta DAC. The R2R sounds much more musical.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-09-12 17:01 I'm with the science on HiRes. In my view the one really good thing to come from the HiRes movement is a whole array of digital remasters that are often better than any CD of the album.

The LG V30 does sound good through my HiFi and will serve its purpose as a portable audio player.

It also confirmed to me how much I prefer my R2R DAC to an (in theory) flashier sigma delta DAC. The R2R sounds much more musical.
......and my post above was not an attack on HiRes. More a recognition of the fact that a lot of things has to fall into place to create good music.
Playing cd’s…………
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

beck wrote: 2020-09-12 17:37 More a recognition of the fact that a lot of things has to fall into place to create good music.

Couldn't agree more - my HiFi journey has been blessed by musicality. Early on it was largely luck. Listening carefully to equipment at demos, taking it home on a loan/return basis and often returning it helped me lots. The worst piece of equipment I bought was a Musical Fidelity amplifier - it was well reviewed but it sounded terrible. It was bought to replace my Sugden A48 Mk 2 and was nowhere near as good. I kept it for three weeks and it went back.

Prior to my Linn amps and my Rega P9 turntable my best musical experience was a very early Sony Walkman (with young ears) :-)