Floyd Toole’s tools

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Per A

Floyd Toole’s tools

Post by Per A »

I was overjoyed to see Dr Floyd Toole lay out a scientific test method of double blind testing of speakers. As all methods it has its pros and cons but it does away with a lot of bias by hiding the object from both the listener and test executioner. He discusses the different experience of the listener e.g. the college student is not picky. Toole says it works and I believe him. Perhaps the biggest question is who is to run them?

https://youtu.be/zrpUDuUtxPM

Last autumn I got a pair of jbl4365s which are simply the best speakers I have heard and I guess they were tested accordingly.

I see it does not look much like tune dem but you never know that until you compare their outcome which we will never be able to do.
andy2

Re: Floyd Toole’s tools

Post by andy2 »

Hey PA,

Congratulations on the speakers, awesome!

Do you use Lejonklou amps driving those puppies?
Per A

Post by Per A »

An old Linn 2250 with Dynamik power supply does it very well. But that could change 😀.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Per A wrote: 2020-05-21 06:49
Last autumn I got a pair of jbl4365s which are simply the best speakers I have heard and I guess they were tested accordingly.
Hi PA,
How JBL perform ... ??? They are studio monitors as I find on a net ...
All the best and keep safe ...
Music First ...
Vlado
Per A

Post by Per A »

Hi,
They are big speakers and sound large without being loud. They are more relaxed than the Linn models I have owned and the 242s I still have in the same living-room. (Far from ideal I know but I have not got the money I want for them.) I am still surprised the one amp is capable of driving such a big three way speaker when the Linn 242 took five. Anyway they sound different and are quick and carry a tune very finely. Although they have immense woofers 15 inches they are not particularly bassy. I may try some other amps later but I am quite happy now. But a little disappointed that Linn are not supporting the Exakt route for this model. I still have not sold the Exaktbox with all those Katalyst dacs.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Per A wrote: 2020-05-24 19:55 Hi,
They are big speakers and sound large without being loud. They are more relaxed than the Linn models I have owned and the 242s I still have in the same living-room. (Far from ideal I know but I have not got the money I want for them.) I am still surprised the one amp is capable of driving such a big three way speaker when the Linn 242 took five. Anyway they sound different and are quick and carry a tune very finely. Although they have immense woofers 15 inches they are not particularly bassy. I may try some other amps later but I am quite happy now. But a little disappointed that Linn are not supporting the Exakt route for this model. I still have not sold the Exaktbox with all those Katalyst dacs.
Hi PA,
Thank you for your answer, it's good to know, as you mention "carry a tune very finely" = for me most important ... Other HiFi issues are not so ... Musicality is No 1 for me ... :-)
Music First ...
Vlado