Jelco throws in the towel ...

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Jelco throws in the towel ...

Post by mrco99 »

After having been in business for 100 years, tonearm maker Jelco has decided to close down.

Tipping point have been the economical consequenses of the corona pandemic, but also the - relative high - age of their employers and old machinery.

https://www.stereo.de/artikel/jelco-schliesst-die-tore

Sad to see such a famed company go.
Looks like Linn has to find an alternative producer of their Majik tonearm?
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Jelco throws in the towel ...

Post by Charlie1 »

Back to ProJect or an alternative like Rega? Or should they resurrect the Basik?

Anyone know why they ditched ProJect in the first place?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Matteo was also sending a link in another discussion yesterday. Its sad news as that is also bad for some of the OEM companies that used products from Jelco - but maybe one of those is taking them over. However less companies means less competition and that means prices are usually going up.
Another issue for those with the Jelco arm is there is also no service possible anymore.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

They went with Jelco because it offers better performance for less money and Linn were able to get a customized version to their specs. Also because a number of people, including some dealers, didn't like the ProJect arm nor the idea of having a ProJect piece on an LP12. As to bringing the Basik back, I don't believe the company who made Linn's original Japanese sourced arms is still in business (but I could be wrong). It is sad to see them go as they were one of the few still making good, relatively inexpensive arms. It will be interesting to see what this means for the Majik LP12 as having a reasonably priced arm is important to keeping the price down.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

What are the realistic options do you think then Tom?

Didn't realise the Basik was outsourced.

What about a cheaper Akito (with a different name) assembled in Scotland? It's gonna bump up the cost but Linn would have more control and it would be a genuine Linn arm.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

All the original Linn arms were outsourced: Ittok LVII (named after Mr. Ito who helped design it), all Basik versions and original Akito. I believe they were all made by Denon Parts Company (no relation to Denon Hi-Fi) which I don't think exists any longer. I really don't know if Linn has the ability to make a $1000 arm in Scotland. I also don't know enough about who is making good inexpensive arms out there other than Rega. Maybe Linn could get Rega to build an OEM arm for them with Linn arm mount, adjustable height and plug in arm cable but it would be quite a departure from anything they make now so I wouldn't hold my breath.
The LP12 Whisperer
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I suppose they don't have to have a Majik level arm. They could simply use the Akito. Gonna whack up the entry point though. I wonder how tempted they are - do away with all that agro and help minimise the product line.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

mrco99 wrote: 2020-05-13 08:17 After having been in business for 100 years, tonearm maker Jelco has decided to close down.
Wow, that's unfortunate! They certainly were a good tonearm maker, and I didn't know Jelco was in business for 100 years. Many audio companies have never, or will never last that long!
Tony Tune-age
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Basikally an ADC

Post by Ron The Mon »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-05-13 15:37 As to bringing the Basik back, I don't believe the company who made Linn's original Japanese sourced arms is still in business (but I could be wrong).
The Basik used many off-the-shelf parts from the ADC ALT-1 tonearm. Those include arm-tube, headshell attachment clamp/tube, bearings, arm rest extension, arm lift, anti-skate dial and assembly, several screws, and internal wiring.

The removable headshell on the LVX uses the ADC plastic insert and cartridge tags but the aluminum headshell is a LInn-only cast part.

There are a half-dozen companies currently selling ADC replacement headshells for around $20. They all fit a Linn Basik in case anyone is trying to source a replacement.

Linn were forced to stop making the Basik arms after Audio Dynamics Corporation went out of business.

Ron The Mon
Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-05-13 09:07Back to ProJect or an alternative like Rega? Or should they resurrect the Basik?
Linn can't fit Rega arms to the LP12 as the geometry is different. If they made the deck to take a Rega you couldn't upgrade to a Linn arm later as it wouldn't fit. Also, politics.

Frankly, I've always found it pathetic that Linn, with all their engeneering might, cannot manufacture a budget tonearm. Or rather will not. Rega have been doing it for decades.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-05-13 19:12 I also don't know enough about who is making good inexpensive arms out there other than Rega. Maybe Linn could get Rega to build an OEM arm for them with Linn arm mount, adjustable height and plug in arm cable but it would be quite a departure from anything they make now so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Johnie @ Audio Origami would have been one possibility but they ended up choosing Clearaudio's Satisfy tonearm which is a pain to set up on an LP12 because of its height. Getting both the tonearm not to touch the closed lid and the armboard flush with the plinth is an exercise in patience.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig »

vicdiaz wrote: 2021-06-27 16:50 Johnie @ Audio Origami would have been one possibility but they ended up choosing Clearaudio's Satisfy tonearm...
Johnnie isn't a big company mass producing cheap tonearms. He's an artist who hand builds top-end tonearms. He wouldn't be able to produce enough arms for the Majik or make them at the low price necessary.

I don't know how much the Clearaudio arm might cost but the Jelco/Majik arm before would have been cheap. It was basically the same arm found on several budget turntables forty years ago.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, you'd think they could have come up with something acceptable especially as the Majik deck has been through 3 vendors now. Perhaps the Jelco incident will be the last straw and they've already begun to investigate a long term in-house solution. I have no inside info btw - just a thought.
Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig »

Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-28 08:19 Perhaps the Jelco incident will be the last straw and they've already begun to investigate a long term in-house solution.
I can't see it. They didn't build a budget tonearm when vinyl was at its height so why would they do it now? The Akito was a budget tonearm made in Japan, now Linn build it, three times the price. The Akito costs more than the RB3000, the best arm Rega know how to make.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Mr Pig wrote: 2021-06-28 17:06
Charlie1 wrote: 2021-06-28 08:19 Perhaps the Jelco incident will be the last straw and they've already begun to investigate a long term in-house solution.
I can't see it. They didn't build a budget tonearm when vinyl was at its height so why would they do it now? The Akito was a budget tonearm made in Japan, now Linn build it, three times the price. The Akito costs more than the RB3000, the best arm Rega know how to make.
Don't you mean six times the price? Akito was introduced at a US price of $395 (although it went to $495 relatively quickly). Akito 3 is now $2400. Of course, there is very little similarity between the original Akito and the current one other than the name and superficial appearance.
The LP12 Whisperer
Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-30 20:18 Of course, there is very little similarity between the original Akito and the current one other than the name and superficial appearance.
Let me ask you this. If Linn wanted to make an entirely new arm which performed much better than the one it replaced, why did they make it look exactly the same?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Mr Pig wrote: 2021-06-30 23:14
ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-30 20:18 Of course, there is very little similarity between the original Akito and the current one other than the name and superficial appearance.
Let me ask you this. If Linn wanted to make an entirely new arm which performed much better than the one it replaced, why did they make it look exactly the same?
Lack of marketing skills? Although it doesn't really look "exactly" like the one it replaced, it just looks a lot like it. A reasonable look will see that there are parts that were cast and are now machined from solid, bearing parts made out of different materials, improved finish, improved cable, etc. But, personally, I would have given it a different name.
The LP12 Whisperer
Mr Pig

Post by Mr Pig »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-06-30 23:22Lack of marketing skills?
Now there is an accusation not often leveled at Linn ;0)

I would suggest that they didn't want to invest much in the arm and haven't changed a great deal. Maybe better bearing but the reason it looks the same is that it largly is.