Moderator: Staff

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Karousel

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-05-08 23:58
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wwehi6252yfp ... M.mov?dl=0

And here is a little bonus that it very similar to the last track but also different. No equipment or setup change.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bbrs7yni6flb ... M.mov?dl=0

I will note that there is some Bella accompaniment on both the last two clips. Enjoy.
Big difference, it's obvious which clip goes where, I'm curious what makes such a big difference ... :-)
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Thanks for all the comments. I haven't actually gone back and listened to all the clip comparisons myself. I did listen to one comparison, the Baden Powell, just to see if it gave me the impression I was expecting. I also haven't listened to these four pieces of music since the last set of clips, except the Frank Sinatra album which still blows me away whenever I hear it.

I have to say I find the results somewhat surprising as the bearing seems to wear in very similarly to electronics being sometimes better and sometimes exhibiting things that are less good. This is likely the case with the first set of Karousel clips that may have been at one of those low points. I didn't really expect this from mechanical run in. Interestingly, I installed a Karousel for a customer yesterday that was the same configuration as my LP12 except the plinth (I have done several of these at my house where I have a fully outfitted LP12 setup station). When I listened to his through the Entity, still in the jig so I could tune suspension and the platter alignment, I was surprised by how good it sounded. It actually made me wonder if mine was actually better (it is!).

Now I still prefer the first set of clips over the Cirkus which I find slurred and a little dead comparatively, as is the finding of the majority here who commented on the clips. But in listening again to these musical tracks in making the latest clips I got the impression that they still had that remarkable resolution that the Karousel had from day one, but that now it had added more composure and ease into the mix. The ten day old Karousel seemed in retrospect to be kind of like a puppy, possibly a bit too playful and brash, yet still a lot more fun than the tired Cirkus. But now it seems to have mellowed and has a more together and flowing sound. What I would call the best of both worlds. Frank Sinatra still gives me goosebumps and I can still hear the contribution, texture and tonality of each instrument, but they now also sound a little more unified. I know Fredrik really relishes the quality of musical calmness and it is a part of his design evaluation technique. This is also obvious in his equipment which is always very informative but always also profoundly musical. I think the more fully run Karousel exhibits that as well, having the unprecedented level of information retrieval but now with an added serenity in its performance. As I said this is just my feeling from listening to these tracks again after a few weeks and not from direct clip comparisons, but the comments I see here seem to agree with that. A welcome and substantial upgrade from Linn!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-05-09 15:40

And here is a little bonus that it very similar to the last track but also different. No equipment or setup change.

I will note that there is some Bella accompaniment on both the last two clips. Enjoy.
Big difference, it's obvious which clip goes where, I'm curious what makes such a big difference ... :-)
This is an interesting and accidental one as I don't always know all the music I have. When I was making the clips I was looking for where I put the Artur Rubinstein Greig Piano Concerto. So I looked where I have a bunch of Artur's records (I am a big fan and have collected a number of them) and found the Grieg but it was a different cover. The one I used in all the clips was titled "Two Great Favorites" which also included Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, which I understand is often paired with the Gried Piano Concerto. This RCA record came out in 1973 and is on the infamous Dynagroove thin vinyl. The newer clip is the record I found while looking for the 1973 one. It appears to most likely be the original release of this recording, an early RCA Living Stereo recording pressed in 1962, on thicker vinyl and with different music on the B side. Of interest on the front cover it states "In its rare coincidence of sound, balance and performance of conductor, orchestra and soloist, this is the most perfect recording I have made." signed Arthur Rubinstein. I can hardly disagree. After listening to the original Living Stereo pressing I felt I had to record the clip as a bonus.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-05-09 21:05

This is an interesting and accidental one as I don't always know all the music I have. When I was making the clips I was looking for where I put the Artur Rubinstein Greig Piano Concerto. So I looked where I have a bunch of Artur's records (I am a big fan and have collected a number of them) and found the Grieg but it was a different cover. The one I used in all the clips was titled "Two Great Favorites" which also included Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, which I understand is often paired with the Gried Piano Concerto. This RCA record came out in 1973 and is on the infamous Dynagroove thin vinyl. The newer clip is the record I found while looking for the 1973 one. It appears to most likely be the original release of this recording, an early RCA Living Stereo recording pressed in 1962, on thicker vinyl and with different music on the B side. Of interest on the front cover it states "In its rare coincidence of sound, balance and performance of conductor, orchestra and soloist, this is the most perfect recording I have made." signed Arthur Rubinstein. I can hardly disagree. After listening to the original Living Stereo pressing I felt I had to record the clip as a bonus.

Hmmm .....
This is a little bit out of ...
Bonus / Living Stereo pressing is ...
So here issue is VTA ... How VTA on your Ekos is set-up ...
On your system everything (even smallest things) is important and make big difference ...
Music First ...
Vlado
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I preferred the Karousel clips to the Cirkus ones when ThomasOK first posted them. Not everybody agreed and I was left wondering about the limitations of clips, as to me, the Karousel clips gave me the essentials of what I hear in my room. In other words, a fundamental improvement.
Now there seems to be a burn-in effect, allowing those differences to shine through. Has my Karousel also improved with time? Yes, the timing has become even better.
Or just maybe, my ears have acclimatised and relaxed :)
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Øyvind I

Post by Øyvind I »

Hi, havning had LP12´s since 1988 in different configurations, including some wrong steps in 3rd party items I've been quite happy with my 3 decks. 1) Circus, Keel, ARadikal, Ekos SE/1, Kandid (Urika 2), b) Cirkus, Majik sub, Ittok LV II, Adikt, Lingo 1 3) Pre-cirkus, Valhalla, Ittok LV-II, Adikt.
Upon the new Karousel and deal for new bearing, I upgrade my 3rd deck with left over Circus parts and Majik sub (very good combo and upgrade in it self) and sold this of to finance a brand new Majik LP12.
This has now arrived it it is the most fundamental improvement I've ever heard to the LP12. I did audition it at my local dealer i Oslo and one could hear clear improvement compared to non Karousel Majik in that all instruments were better separated and easier to follow. Listening to Lingo4 with new Majik dec (with karousel) also brought a lot more dynamic.

My deck arrived this week and having listened to it for 15 hours now is very interesting. First, it is easily better my deck b) above. The more shocking part is that it is musically better than my main deck. Independently which music I listen to it brings out more of the fundamentals of musical performance, how the instruments are being played and instruments not heard before. Listening to the same track on main deck is more hifi-like, as one had a really expensive cartridge on a inferior deck (like for example Rega Planar 3 - with a very expensive cartridge). Yes, the main deck has some details which Majik deck does not present but the Majik deck adds more fundamental information and in a sum of parts, new Majik is clearly better than almost Klimax deck with ARadikal. More tones are heard in the bass, easier to hear the lyrics , the piano on Brubecks "Take Five" not only sound less like a bar-piano but is also played better etc etc.
For the persons interested in measurements I for fun checked speed with RPM app on my iPhone7. W/f was almost identical on deck a) and b) of 0.17 while Majik came out at 0.10. Dont know the importance and measuring accuracy but it was consistent.
Most important - Karousel is the most fundamental upgrade I´ve heard to LP12.
Needless to say, main deck is now having Karousel fitted. Thats going to be interesting (and Lingo 4 coming next year for my Majik)
Øyvind I
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-05-09 21:26
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-05-09 21:05

Hmmm .....
This is a little bit out of ...
Bonus / Living Stereo pressing is ...
So here issue is VTA ... How VTA on your Ekos is set-up ...
On your system everything (even smallest things) is important and make big difference ...
Edit:
This is a little bit out of ... topic ...
Bonus / Living Stereo pressing is ... perfect ...
So here issue is VTA ... How VTA on your Ekos is set-up ... I don't want to be understand wrong. I'm not saying that your VTA is wrong set-up, but "how". On Bonus / Living Stereo pressing is perfect = on this thickness on LP, on some other tines LP have to be with other set-up.

Sorry ThomasOK if you understand me wrong. Idea behind my short post / comment was "small things make big difference in perfect system. Even thickness of the LP make big difference."
Music First ...
Vlado
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-05-09 20:47 Thanks for all the comments. I haven't actually gone back and listened to all the clip comparisons myself. I did listen to one comparison, the Baden Powell, just to see if it gave me the impression I was expecting. I also haven't listened to these four pieces of music since the last set of clips, except the Frank Sinatra album which still blows me away whenever I hear it.

I know Fredrik really relishes the quality of musical calmness and it is a part of his design evaluation technique. This is also obvious in his equipment which is always very informative but always also profoundly musical.
I listened to the Frank Sinatra clip and yes the Karousel is better. Never had a doubt what you was hearing with the Karousel - I just had problems to hear it by myself with the first clips.

I know what you mean when you write about Fredriks design principles and musical calmness ... that actually lead me wrote things about the Entity which some would think are contradicting - its presentation is engaged but peaceful or with strong authority but calm.

One question: I saw you placed the Entity on the floor - I have to do the same for now because I have not a really good support to place the Entity - do you feel that holds the Entity back much?
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

David Neel wrote: 2020-05-09 21:30 I preferred the Karousel clips to the Cirkus ones when ThomasOK first posted them. Not everybody agreed and I was left wondering about the limitations of clips, as to me, the Karousel clips gave me the essentials of what I hear in my room. In other words, a fundamental improvement.
Now there seems to be a burn-in effect, allowing those differences to shine through. Has my Karousel also improved with time? Yes, the timing has become even better.
Or just maybe, my ears have acclimatised and relaxed :)
I agree the Karousel has improved leaps and bounds and the timing is definitely getting better, along with the sound of the instruments which was superb even at the beginning.

Why is it then that I am still drawn to the Cirkus clips ( I have used mainly clips 2 and 4 for the comparisions) even though I really want to prefer the Karousel.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I still maintain that occassionally the musical strengths of two options can be split. When this happens, some folks seem to experience the benefits of A and some experience B. Others will hear a mix of the two to varying degrees. I don't think this is very common but could be what you're experiencing. So, even when applying the Tune Method, you need to have faith in yourself because it's how you experience the music that matters. Of course, it's complicated by the fact that we all make mistakes, so are you making a mistake or are you more drawn to the Cirkus benefits (if they exist)?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

To me u252agz (is that a U-boat?, by the way can I call you something else?😃) is timing related. The used Cirkus (In the wee small hours) has a very natural musical flow. The latest Karousel is still a little stiff compared to this.
I look forward to hearing Karousel clips in a year and two years! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Yes, the Cirkus clips have a nice flow to them. However, when I compare clip 4 I do find the piano notes make more sense on Karousel. Having said that, I still struggle a bit with the timing, such as in clip 1.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-05-11 10:54 I still maintain that occassionally the musical strengths of two options can be split. When this happens, some folks seem to experience the benefits of A and some experience B. Others will hear a mix of the two to varying degrees. I don't think this is very common but could be what you're experiencing. So, even when applying the Tune Method, you need to have faith in yourself because it's how you experience the music that matters. Of course, it's complicated by the fact that we all make mistakes, so are you making a mistake or are you more drawn to the Cirkus benefits (if they exist)?
I can definitely hear all the benefits with the Karousel Clips ( especially the recent ones) but the timing, flow and coherence of the music is better to my ears with Cirkus and is more enjoyable. I have always taken this to be the real essence of 'musicality' but i do appreciate that as you say, people experience this differently.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

beck wrote: 2020-05-11 11:11 To me u252agz (is that a U-boat?, by the way can I call you something else?😃) is timing related. The used Cirkus (In the wee small hours) has a very natural musical flow. The latest Karousel is still a little stiff compared to this.
I agree with you Beck and am also looking forward to Karousel once it is fully burned in.

I was hoping you would contribute to this thread as the differences I hear with Karousel vs Cirkus remind me of the clips you posted once comparing your Silver interconnects ( great sounds, tone ,timbre etc etc ) with your favourite Black interconnects ( better timing and better flow) I recall that forum members were divided then as to which was more musical.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

u252agz wrote: 2020-05-11 12:20
beck wrote: To me u252agz (is that a U-boat?, by the way can I call you something else?😃) is timing related. The used Cirkus (In the wee small hours) has a very natural musical flow. The latest Karousel is still a little stiff compared to this.
I agree with you Beck and am also looking forward to Karousel once it is fully burned in.

I was hoping you would contribute to this thread as the differences I hear with Karousel vs Cirkus remind me of the clips you posted once comparing your Silver interconnects ( great sounds, tone ,timbre etc etc ) with your favourite Black interconnects ( better timing and better flow) I recall that forum members were divided then as to which was more musical.
That was some of the first clips I made on this forum many years ago! :-) The result obviously being tied to my interconnects specifically.

I am still using my preferred blacks.

In the end we all have to go with what makes us happy when listening.
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I also associate timing, flow and coherence of the music as essential elements of musicality. However I am not 100% sure of my tune dem capabilities. I can only tell you what my latest experience is with something which is more musical for me.

One is sitting absolutely relaxed when I enjoy music - what I mean is I feel my efforts when I hear music which is less musical - I close my eyes, my eyes are squinted, my face is unrelaxed, my body is tense

The opposite with something much more musical - I hear with open eyes, my face and my body are at ease. I feel a calmness, peacefulness and joy as well es wanting to do something like dancing or playing with the music.

The other thing is that with more musicality I realize at a certain point that I am „tracking“ / experiencing up to 6 instruments at the same time (like depth of field in photography - all is in focus).
Whereas with less musicality I feel my focus is on one or two instruments and is jumping to the others ... to try to understand what is going on (like open aperture in photography - the object is in focus the rest is blurred).

What is the verdict - I am watching my reactions to the music more than trying to really hear. With the Karousel I trust it needs run in and I trust the ears of those who have it and are happy with it.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-05-11 11:55 Yes, the Cirkus clips have a nice flow to them. However, when I compare clip 4 I do find the piano notes make more sense on Karousel. Having said that, I still struggle a bit with the timing, such as in clip 1.
The piano notes are much much better with Karousel - a bit cliched but ‘a good pianist playing a magnificent Grand piano’ to my ears.

But with Cirkus ,on these clips at least, a great pianist playing a good but substantially inferior piano.

Especially on the difficult parts .

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Øyvind I wrote: 2020-05-09 22:12 Hi, havning had LP12´s since 1988 in different configurations, including some wrong steps in 3rd party items I've been quite happy with my 3 decks. 1) Circus, Keel, ARadikal, Ekos SE/1, Kandid (Urika 2), b) Cirkus, Majik sub, Ittok LV II, Adikt, Lingo 1 3) Pre-cirkus, Valhalla, Ittok LV-II, Adikt.
Upon the new Karousel and deal for new bearing, I upgrade my 3rd deck with left over Circus parts and Majik sub (very good combo and upgrade in it self) and sold this of to finance a brand new Majik LP12.
This has now arrived it it is the most fundamental improvement I've ever heard to the LP12. I did audition it at my local dealer i Oslo and one could hear clear improvement compared to non Karousel Majik in that all instruments were better separated and easier to follow. Listening to Lingo4 with new Majik dec (with karousel) also brought a lot more dynamic.

My deck arrived this week and having listened to it for 15 hours now is very interesting. First, it is easily better my deck b) above. The more shocking part is that it is musically better than my main deck. Independently which music I listen to it brings out more of the fundamentals of musical performance, how the instruments are being played and instruments not heard before. Listening to the same track on main deck is more hifi-like, as one had a really expensive cartridge on a inferior deck (like for example Rega Planar 3 - with a very expensive cartridge). Yes, the main deck has some details which Majik deck does not present but the Majik deck adds more fundamental information and in a sum of parts, new Majik is clearly better than almost Klimax deck with ARadikal. More tones are heard in the bass, easier to hear the lyrics , the piano on Brubecks "Take Five" not only sound less like a bar-piano but is also played better etc etc.
For the persons interested in measurements I for fun checked speed with RPM app on my iPhone7. W/f was almost identical on deck a) and b) of 0.17 while Majik came out at 0.10. Dont know the importance and measuring accuracy but it was consistent.
Most important - Karousel is the most fundamental upgrade I´ve heard to LP12.
Needless to say, main deck is now having Karousel fitted. Thats going to be interesting (and Lingo 4 coming next year for my Majik)
Øyvind I
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/to ... -19-victim
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

u252agz wrote: 2020-05-11 23:53
Charlie1 wrote: 2020-05-11 11:55 Yes, the Cirkus clips have a nice flow to them. However, when I compare clip 4 I do find the piano notes make more sense on Karousel. Having said that, I still struggle a bit with the timing, such as in clip 1.
The piano notes are much much better with Karousel - a bit cliched but ‘a good pianist playing a magnificent Grand piano’ to my ears.

But with Cirkus ,on these clips at least, a great pianist playing a good but substantially inferior piano.

EDIT: Please ignore my ramblings below. I totally misunderstood what u252agz was saying ie Karousel sounds like a good pianist on an excellent piano, compared to an excellent pianist on a good piano.

I’ve got it now!

(This is why I think the Karousel seems so much better than the Cirkus. The difference in tune playing has to make the Karousel the biggest musical bang for buck I’ve probably ever heard. The only other time I’ve heard such a substantial musical improvement was when I heard the LP12 for the first time, and the Karousel could even be a bigger difference than that.

However, I’ve only heard video clips and I’d like to pay due respect to those who still feel the Karousel may be more of a HiFi upgrade, so I’m happy to get splinters on my bum until I’ve heard one in the flesh. I have to say though, people’s opinions who I respect, and have got one, like it and Thomas’ piano vid was particularly impressive, musically and sound wise!)
Last edited by Spannko on 2020-05-12 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spannko wrote: 2020-05-12 13:25
u252agz wrote: 2020-05-11 23:53 The piano notes are much much better with Karousel - a bit cliched but ‘a good pianist playing a magnificent Grand piano’ to my ears.

This is why I think the Karousel seems so much better than the Cirkus. The difference in tune playing has to make the Karousel the biggest musical bang for buck I’ve probably ever heard. The only other time I’ve heard such a substantial musical improvement was when I heard the LP12 for the first time, and the Karousel could even be a bigger difference than that.

However, I’ve only heard video clips and I’d like to pay due respect to those who still feel the Karousel may be more of a HiFi upgrade, so I’m happy to get splinters on my bum until I’ve heard one in the flesh. I have to say though, people’s opinions who I respect, and have got one, like it and Thomas’ piano vid was particularly impressive, musically and sound wise!
Did you miss what u252agz actually wrote?

You may of course be of a different opinion, but your wording suggests that you misinterpreted the post.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I can confirm, that the Karousel definitely has a burn-in time. It was very good once fitted, but it was only after a week that it really started to sing. And now I have a whole new record collection to discover :-) The difference "in the room" is of such magnitude, that you would never want to go back to Cirkus. I have had it now for almost 2 weeks and it will be very interesting to hear if it gets even better.
Of course, in my case it was a new deck and not just the Karousel, so I cannot rule out any "hidden" LP12 improvements in the past 12 years. My old LP12 was adjusted last year and the new one was set up by the same person.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-05-12 14:33
Spannko wrote: 2020-05-12 13:25
u252agz wrote: 2020-05-11 23:53 The piano notes are much much better with Karousel - a bit cliched but ‘a good pianist playing a magnificent Grand piano’ to my ears.

This is why I think the Karousel seems so much better than the Cirkus. The difference in tune playing has to make the Karousel the biggest musical bang for buck I’ve probably ever heard. The only other time I’ve heard such a substantial musical improvement was when I heard the LP12 for the first time, and the Karousel could even be a bigger difference than that.

However, I’ve only heard video clips and I’d like to pay due respect to those who still feel the Karousel may be more of a HiFi upgrade, so I’m happy to get splinters on my bum until I’ve heard one in the flesh. I have to say though, people’s opinions who I respect, and have got one, like it and Thomas’ piano vid was particularly impressive, musically and sound wise!
Did you miss what u252agz actually wrote?

You may of course be of a different opinion, but your wording suggests that you misinterpreted the post.
I don’t think so. I probably haven’t made myself clear, so what bit doesn’t make sense and I’ll try and explain myself a bit better!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Defender wrote: 2020-05-11 13:12 I also associate timing, flow and coherence of the music as essential elements of musicality. However I am not 100% sure of my tune dem capabilities. I can only tell you what my latest experience is with something which is more musical for me.

One is sitting absolutely relaxed when I enjoy music - what I mean is I feel my efforts when I hear music which is less musical - I close my eyes, my eyes are squinted, my face is unrelaxed, my body is tense

The opposite with something much more musical - I hear with open eyes, my face and my body are at ease. I feel a calmness, peacefulness and joy as well es wanting to do something like dancing or playing with the music.

The other thing is that with more musicality I realize at a certain point that I am „tracking“ / experiencing up to 6 instruments at the same time (like depth of field in photography - all is in focus).
Whereas with less musicality I feel my focus is on one or two instruments and is jumping to the others ... to try to understand what is going on (like open aperture in photography - the object is in focus the rest is blurred).

What is the verdict - I am watching my reactions to the music more than trying to really hear. With the Karousel I trust it needs run in and I trust the ears of those who have it and are happy with it.
Defender - I think you should trust your ears and your reactions to the music.

I also pay a great deal of attention to the Forum members, the majority of whom I almost always agree with- this is one of the great strengths of this Forum and the thing which makes it so valuable.

However every now and again I do find my ears telling me something different and I go back repeatedly to listen again and try and convince myself to change my mind. Unfortunately I have rarely succeeded in doing this .

I am still hoping that when I hear Karousel in the flesh - I will be musically overwhelmed and order it on the spot!

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spannko wrote: 2020-05-12 15:36 I probably haven’t made myself clear, so what bit doesn’t make sense and I’ll try and explain myself a bit better!
Well, you were replying to a post which said that the clips of Karousel are musically worse than those of Cirkus with "This is why I think the Karousel seems so much better than the Cirkus."
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I was understanding that u252agz wanted to have the best of both (Karousel and Cirkus) a perfect piano player and a perfect grand piano.
Fredrik did you had a chance to hear the Karousel ... probably not otherwise you would mention it. Mine is on order as I trust all the guys here who said its wonderful.