The Linnofil Super NAS!

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

erho

Re: The Linnofil Super NAS!

Post by erho »

Which file storage SSDs are recommended now? The old Intels?
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

The old Intel 320 is still the best. Second best is Samsung 850 (not Evo, not tripple level cells). That is to the best of my knowledge.
erho

Post by erho »

Thanks for your info.
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

Anyone else who have tried an upgrade to Win 10? Results?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I did try Win 10, briefly, but not back to back with Win 7. I've been using Debian (with Asset), which I find slightly better than either Win version.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Linncredible

Post by Linncredible »

David Neel wrote: 2020-04-22 22:36 I did try Win 10, briefly, but not back to back with Win 7. I've been using Debian (with Asset), which I find slightly better than either Win version.
So no clear results on win 7 vs win 10 tune dem wise?

(The reason I ask is the stop from MS when it comes to supporting Win 7. I prefer a supported OS but maybe not if the price is high when it comes to musical performance.)
Nicolav

Post by Nicolav »

Linncredible wrote: 2020-04-25 15:55
David Neel wrote: 2020-04-22 22:36 I did try Win 10, briefly, but not back to back with Win 7. I've been using Debian (with Asset), which I find slightly better than either Win version.
So no clear results on win 7 vs win 10 tune dem wise?

(The reason I ask is the stop from MS when it comes to supporting Win 7. I prefer a supported OS but maybe not if the price is high when it comes to musical performance.)
Upgraded from win 7 home to win 10 pro 64 bit.

For me win 10 is slightly more musical.

But, as always, try and judge yourself.

Regards

Nicola
LP12/RadikalM/Keel/Ekos SE1/Ekstatik/Urika II/Klimax System Hub/Klimax Exaktbox's/10 Solos/A242
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying an Akurate DS-system after spending many years using an Ikemi and I'm looking to buy a NAS (and rip my CD collection). I stumbled upon this thread and am very intrigued by the evidence showing that components upstream of the HiFi components influence SQ. Frankly I would love to build my own LS-NAS but very few of the components specified by Linnofil when this thread was initially created are available today (with the exception of the second hand market of course). Linnofil, what are your recommendations for someone wanting to protect/facilitate as good SQ as possible in their Linn system in 2020? And what about ripping? If I understand correctly, ripping should be done directly to the NAS, but what software do you recommend?

Cheers, Paul
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

PaulC wrote: 2020-07-02 08:54 Hi,

I'm in the process of buying an Akurate DS-system after spending many years using an Ikemi and I'm looking to buy a NAS (and rip my CD collection). I stumbled upon this thread and am very intrigued by the evidence showing that components upstream of the HiFi components influence SQ. Frankly I would love to build my own LS-NAS but very few of the components specified by Linnofil when this thread was initially created are available today (with the exception of the second hand market of course). Linnofil, what are your recommendations for someone wanting to protect/facilitate as good SQ as possible in their Linn system in 2020? And what about ripping? If I understand correctly, ripping should be done directly to the NAS, but what software do you recommend?

Cheers, Paul
Welcome to a world where upstream components are important for musicality! Not just NAS, but switches and ethernet cables. If you are prepared to build your own NAS, then the major problem you will have is with the motherboard, as the SSDs are available secondhand. However, do also read the Hakai section, as a Hakai NAS is also good, if not to my ears in quite the same league as the LSNAS. Again, the problem with Hakai is locating motherboards, but GA-N3160N-D3V boards can be found on ebay. And if you are going to build a NAS, why not build a Hakai streamer rather than buying an Akurate DS? Hakai is more musical. Ripping is also covered in separate threads in On the Inside - keep browsing!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Cheers David, thanks for answering. I will look into the threads you mention 👍
Regards
Paul
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

PaulC wrote: 2020-07-02 15:45 Cheers David, thanks for answering. I will look into the threads you mention 👍
Regards
Paul
You're welcome. If you want to ask more, please do, either here or via PM. I feel your pain about your dead Ikemi, I had one and it was a wonderful piece of kit. The LK boxes were a work of art, and the Ikemi CD tray the icing on the cake. But a DS is better, and a Hakai better still....
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Cheers David, yes, I couldn't believe when my son plugged his iPad into it.... I will keep it though and connect the digital output to the Akurate. I understand that the SQ will be better with the network setup but (like you) I also really like the tray mechanism on the Ikemi. It will also be interesting just to demonstrate the difference in SQ when data is read by the transport mechanism on the Ikemi and when it's delivered by the nas. I've also decided to get an LP12 after hearing one played through an Akurate system. I was actually astonished... So my son's thoughtlessness has ultimately helped me to begin a new chapter! Paul
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

David Neel wrote: 2020-07-02 20:03 The LK boxes were a work of art, and the Ikemi CD tray the icing on the cake. But a DS is better, and a Hakai better still....
I couldn't agree more. The LK boxes were brilliantly designed and I feel fortunate to have bought them. My Ikemi became redundant due to the Hakai but the tray was bullet proof, great engineering. My sole universal player has a similar tray quality. Selling the Ikemi for £775 after ~ twenty years of use was sweet.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Can I do a U-turn? Trying Volumio again in my Hakai, I couldn't get to find the music files. Figuring that network permissions were the problem, and might be easier to resolve in the LSNAS under Windows rather than Debian, I went back from Debian 9 to Windows 10. Didn't fix the Volumio problem, but while I had the screwdrivers out, I decided to try Hakai (Debian stretch) playing from both LSNAS Debian stretch and LSNAS Windows 10. I prefer Windows. I didn't want to, as Windows used to bring problems (and still does), but I'm now back with it. Hmm...

EDIT: I'm doing a u-turn back to the original conclusion. After reverting to Debian Stretch, I now (again) find it more musical than Win10. The fact that my dropout problems are also solved is a bonus!
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Hi,

I know this ia kind of way too late to ask this, but does anyone know where I can find these obselete Motherboard Asus E45M1-I Deluxe Mini-itx and Seasonic x460FL power supply. I searched everywhere online and no luck so far.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

audiomonger999 wrote: 2021-02-27 15:00 Hi,

I know this ia kind of way too late to ask this, but does anyone know where I can find these obselete Motherboard Asus E45M1-I Deluxe Mini-itx and Seasonic x460FL power supply. I searched everywhere online and no luck so far.
I got lucky and found the mobo on ebay; the psu I needed something to finish the build so picked up a 400FL. Both of these were a few years after the Super NAS spec was shared - the recommended parts were already tricky to track down then, and that was years ago now... You might have more luck looking at the Hakai thread for an alternate NAS spec with a more recent parts list: the mobo is the tricky bit, but the case & psu should be relatively easy to find.
audiomonger999

Post by audiomonger999 »

Hi Tokkenbit, I have built both hakkai and hakkai NAS. Now I also want LSNAS. Part of never ending desires LOL 😅🤣
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

audiomonger999 wrote: 2021-02-27 20:41 Hi Tokkenbit, I have built both hakkai and hakkai NAS. Now I also want LSNAS. Part of never ending desires LOL 😅🤣
What about an LSStreamer !!???
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

We have not heard from Linnofil for a long time. I hope he is alright.