We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote: 2020-02-29 00:06
Freddy wrote: 2020-02-28 13:20 Ok here we go, hope I don´t interrupt previous session. This is two two wallshelfs I use for my LP12 named left and right. Need help to decide which one that is best.

LeftA
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqiq3p2l5rw4e ... A.mov?dl=0
RightA
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uab0i5am3c026 ... A.mov?dl=0

LeftB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdwr93yie2d3h ... B.mov?dl=0
RightB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eo6t21rbfttjz ... B.mov?dl=0
That’ll be the left one for me.
I prefer the Left on both. Great to hear the Nirvana track, definitely felt the voice was less good (some might argue with me if I called it musical) on Right. On the first track I didn't get as far as the voice on Right as the guitar was too annoying.

I was surprised seeing the reveal as I would have expected the glass shelf to sound more the way the shelf on the Audiotech did. Nice looking setup, what's the big, boombox-looking thing in front of the left speaker?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-02-29 17:05 I was surprised seeing the reveal as I would have expected the glass shelf to sound more the way the shelf on the Audiotech did. Nice looking setup, what's the big, boombox-looking thing in front of the left speaker?
Thanks! Ah that one, its a Revox A77. I inherited it from a relative that was opera singer and she had some recordings from her career that I want to save and maybe digitize.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Caught him red-handed!
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-N7C ... j-1280.mp4

Last set of clips coming, promise;)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

beck wrote: 2020-02-29 15:49
Spannko wrote: 2020-02-29 15:13 @Freddy. Thanks for posting. One of the advantages of the playground clips is that it’s possible for us to compare the “internet favourites” against something which can sound more musical. Your vids are a great example of that - I would never have even considered that a glass shelved mass market wall bracket could out perform the Audiotech!

While you’re at it, I’d love to hear a comparison of your Harmomylian - please!
I just counted the scores for left and right wall shelf to be 4 -4. If you include Freddy 5 - 4.

Saying that the one is out performing the other I think is an overstatement also when you hear how Freddy commented on them.

I hear different strengths from the shelves. Thats all. :-)
Oops! There are so many comparisons going on I’ve got confused and thought it was unanimous.

I haven’t checked, but it would be interesting to see if there’s a difference between the Tuner’s and Preferer’s, cos really, we should all be agreeing. Just sayin!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Spannko wrote: 2020-02-29 19:09 Oops! There are so many comparisons going on I’ve got confused and thought it was unanimous.

I haven’t checked, but it would be interesting to see if there’s a difference between the Tuner’s and Preferer’s, cos really, we should all be agreeing. Just sayin!
I would like to question that we should all be agreeing!

If one of the shelves turned out to be “perfect” for the job playing with a “perfect” turntable through a “perfect” system and so on......then we should be able to agree.

In the real world we will encounter contradictary situations where some things will be split.

Not listening using exactly the same mind and ears we will differ from time to time.
Playing cd’s…………
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Regarding “tuners vs preferers” I’m quite open about the fact that I’m on learner plates.
No doubt any more or less frequent forum visitor would weigh ThomasOK’s ‘left’ as more significant than my ‘right’.

That said, I believe beck has a point about the different circumstances in which people listen to the clips.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I listened again to #5 and then to the rest here above.

Taking a step back just trying to enjoy the music as a whole not letting me be mislead by “clear” sound I end up prefering your a clips going against myself and everybody else from the previous #5.

I do expect to be somewhat alone with this decision but I do hear more “information (emotion)” from the a clips.

I think for long term listening that the a setup would make me personally happy.
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Two beats better then one or the One beat hundred thirty one?
A few month back I spotted a Slipsik6 at a to good price. I had no plan what so ever about upgrading it. Then the talk about two Entity’s vs one started and I decided to send both my Slipsiks to be upgraded to 7.1.

The first two sets of clips 1-4 is one slipsik vs two slipsik’s in mono(edit: b clips in mono). Only difference is what channel used.
Clip 5 slipsik in stereo vs each other
Clip 6-8 same as #5 to confirm results

So slipsik #001 with or without #131 or the other way around?
Last edited by maffe on 2020-02-29 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

:-)

Well, in the end it is your choice :-).

I will personally live happily with the one stereo Slipsik 7.1.
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

beck wrote: 2020-02-29 20:27 :-)

Well, in the end it is your choice :-).

I will personally live happily with the one stereo Slipsik 7.1.
It had to be done and It was fun testing!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Corrected post: I misunderstood the above. I end up prefering maffes b clips #5 to #8.

(After reading the post below)
Last edited by beck on 2020-02-29 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

beck wrote: 2020-02-29 21:09 Listening again, again I still think that one Slipsik 7.1 would be enough for me but I also think 2 Slipsik 7.1 is actually better.......

When in doubt keep coming back and try again and again! :-)
Edit to my half explaining post, clip 1 to 4, b-clip “mono”
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

maffe wrote: 2020-02-29 20:22 Two beats better then one or the One beat hundred thirty one?
A few month back I spotted a Slipsik6 at a to good price. I had no plan what so ever about upgrading it. Then the talk about two Entity’s vs one started and I decided to send both my Slipsiks to be upgraded to 7.1.

The first two sets of clips 1-4 is one slipsik vs two slipsik’s in mono(edit: b clips in mono). Only difference is what channel used.
Clip 5 slipsik in stereo vs each other
Clip 6-8 same as #5 to confirm results

So slipsik #001 with or without #131 or the other way around?
Thank you Maffe,
So, 2 x Slipsik 7.1 to Nait 1 ...
Can you describe your system in more details ... TT, interconnects & LS Cable ... Speakers ...
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I have misunderstood but now corrected my last post above.
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

beck wrote: 2020-02-29 21:21 I have misunderstood but now corrected my last post above.
I have black belt in confusing people😂

Well, I’ll try again to unconfuse:
All “a” is Slipsik #001
Clip 1-4, b-clip one channel on each slipsik channels shifted between clip 1&2 to 3&4.
Clip 5-8, b-clip Slipsik #131

So the result on #5 got me confused since slipsik #001 was picked by all as better then two Slipsik’s (Smaller gap when I changed channels)
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-02-29 21:20 Thank you Maffe,
So, 2 x Slipsik 7.1 to Nait 1 ...
Can you describe your system in more details ... TT, interconnects & LS Cable ... Speakers ...
The Nait1 just standing there looking pretty, used it when the Slipsik’s was on upgrade :P
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

So after a back and forth I ended up liking the Slipsik 7.1 serial number 131 the best. Good enough for me! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

maffe wrote: 2020-02-29 19:00 3 clips, same setup as #5

Next post I make will be info about what’s been going on!
B for me too, although initially (on the first track only) I thought it might be A. Useful to have a couple of tracks.

I liked the music as well. What is the first song?

That's a really nice low box count system. Am I right in thinking it's a Boazu? It seems to drive the Doriks no problem. I don't understand why Linn dealers couldn't sell many Doriks.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Freddy wrote: 2020-02-29 18:37
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-02-29 17:05 I was surprised seeing the reveal as I would have expected the glass shelf to sound more the way the shelf on the Audiotech did. Nice looking setup, what's the big, boombox-looking thing in front of the left speaker?
Thanks! Ah that one, its a Revox A77. I inherited it from a relative that was opera singer and she had some recordings from her career that I want to save and maybe digitize.
I should have caught that but I didn’t zoom in and I’m not used to seeing an A77 with the dust cover on.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

beck wrote: 2020-02-29 19:31
Spannko wrote: 2020-02-29 19:09 Oops! There are so many comparisons going on I’ve got confused and thought it was unanimous.

I would like to question that we should all be agreeing!

If one of the shelves turned out to be “perfect” for the job playing with a “perfect” turntable through a “perfect” system and so on......then we should be able to agree.

In the real world we will encounter contradictary situations where some things will be split.

Not listening using exactly the same mind and ears we will differ from time to time.
I believe that the forum rules dictate that we should all be using the same method for evaluating a systems performance, with the intention of agreeing which components we find more tuneful. Just sayin!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

In principal we agree! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

today I did an experiment with the supporting feets of the Lingo 2 - what do you think?

Clip 1 (Modification)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/net7sb9qh7ici ... 5.mov?dl=0

Clip 2 (Original)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/98mvmtg9m4rih ... 9.mov?dl=0
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

To me original feet is the better solution.
Playing cd’s…………