Some observations from cd replay

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Some observations from cd replay

Post by beck »

Enough of weird setup. If anyone is out to get an enjoyable new hifi system they do not need to look far and it will be less of a hassle.
For my part it has been an investigation that has been particularly interesting giving me insight that I never would have found not trying. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Yes beck, that's why I'm here, "beck" to basic ... As I mention all of them (we just mention several tips & tricks) are more DIY ... But what we mention ... underline is "resonance" ... Lejonklou, Linn, Naim, Harmoni Hyllan, NokTable find (with tune - method) resonance (beside other as well important) as very important factor.

But anyway from time to time is good to mention other ways, just in direction that here we are on the right way to enjoy our music and be happy ... :-)
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I have just made the final push with my cd player. You will not believe me but I am now getting analog like sound from my system playing cd’s!

Links removed

I am stunned. I actually reached the point I had hoped!

Sitting here listening to anything and everything............. red book, hd cd, it does not matter. I have come home.
Last edited by beck on 2020-01-20 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Lucky you ...
Enjoy in your music.
After ... is like all of them play together ... but maybe I'm wrong ...
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-01-18 15:03 Lucky you ...
Enjoy in your music.
After ... is like all of them play together ... but maybe I'm wrong ...
I think you are right! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yep, it's better in the dark!

Your final push? I think I've heard that song before. ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

;) cool second clip for me too
I think you cd player is doing a really good job while being a support for the LP12
... and even without the Ennemoser varnish and circuit boards on strings
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Defender wrote: 2020-01-18 17:13 ;) cool second clip for me too
I think you cd player is doing a really good job while being a support for the LP12
... and even without the Ennemoser varnish and circuit boards on strings
Best CD player in a supporting role?!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I have now swiftly written an answer so you cannot remove your comment above ThomasOK! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

1+ nomination:
A Best CD player in main role!
From Honey land ... :-)
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: 2020-01-18 17:04 Yep, it's better in the dark!

Your final push? I think I've heard that song before. ;-)
When you are right you are right. I have already bettered it once again but enough is enough. I think people listening in have got the message! :-)

Right now I am “Diggin’ On James Brown”!
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote: 2020-01-18 13:09 I am stunned. I actually reached the point I had hoped!

Sitting here listening to anything and everything............. red book, hd cd, it does not matter. I have come home.
I really like that beck - even just through the speaker in my phone.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

When you are plowing your whole music collection through you know something good is going on!

What awakes my curiosity is that a marked difference between the two clips above is how the last setup gives me an easier on the ear sound spreading energy around in the room more like analog. At the same time everything becomes more musical.
It is a kind of transformation of the sound and the only thing I did was to change the contact points of the cd power cable in the floor area.

Linn should start putting their digital equipment into Sondek plinths making room for vibration adjustment and more! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote: 2020-01-19 12:27 It is a kind of transformation of the sound and the only thing I did was to change the contact points of the cd power cable in the floor area.
That's crazy.

So this is impacting the tiny vibrations getting into the unit itself do you think?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-01-20 13:57
beck wrote: It is a kind of transformation of the sound and the only thing I did was to change the contact points of the cd power cable in the floor area.
That's crazy.

So this is impacting the tiny vibrations getting into the unit itself do you think?
With my setup after I cut the strip inside the cd player forcing the power cable up against the chassie to let it hang loose I get different results with each little change regarding how the power cable is supported.

So yes.
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

I don't know what is the Beck opinion ... but yes, vibrations / resonance is sooo important ... Lejonklou products for example are ... fine tuned from legs, chassis, printed c. boards and so on ...
Charlie1 wrote: 2020-01-20 13:57
beck wrote: 2020-01-19 12:27 It is a kind of transformation of the sound and the only thing I did was to change the contact points of the cd power cable in the floor area.
That's crazy.

Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

In my hunt for better cd replay I have stumbled upon another good way of checking if I am moving in the right direction.
The times I have come up with a better setup I have noticed that when playing an old analog recording put on cd with my cd player the background hiss from the master tape has become more pronounced (easier to hear).
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

As ThomasOK has stated elsewhere it is all about the journey and what we learn along the way.

With HD cd it has been an eye opener to me that as long as the setup was not at it’s best they sounded worse than red book but with a very good setup they really can sound good.

Below 2 HD cd clips:

Links removed.

They reward with a slightly softer and less glossy sound when being played in my system.

Digital (cd in my case) is a real pain to get right. Even when you are close the results can differ greatly before you finally hit the mark.
Last edited by beck on 2020-02-04 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

It just keeps getting better.

It doesn't sound like hifi at all - music first and foremost.

And sounding quite analogue and real now, if you know what I mean.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you Charlie1. Yes, I am quite happy with where I am now playing cd’s. Not like a good Sondek playing records but enjoyable all the same.
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Most important is to be Happy and to Enjoy in Music ... to underline ...
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

It really comes as a surprice to me that with my system now I could happily live with cd alone if vinyl did not exist and the Sondek had never been invented.

If it was not for a near perfect setup of the cd player I would never have reached this point of satisfaction with the music being produced.

I went to my second hand store and bought 5 cd’s. None of them have let me down though being quite different (one being HD).
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

This whole proces has showed me that digitals biggest problem is our human invironment.

I now know how difficult it is to get unmolestered digitally recorded music through to the listener. It is much harder to keep the core of the music intact.

The problem with digital is that before the setup is perfected and everything is in order it does not recreate the core of the music faithfully. To recreate the core of the music everything has to fall in place.

Analog on the other hand has a firm grip on the core of the music almost all along from bad setup to perfected setup.

I now have a mini sondek in my NAD 542 cd player and a real Sondek for my records. The way they play music is strikingly similar to one another. The real Sondek is just overall better.
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I totally agree beck. And, I think there’s even more to come from digital playback. I think I was convinced of this in about 1985 after hearing a live performance on BBC R3 through a Naim NAT01, and this was immediately after listening to the top LP12 too. At the time, R3 was recorded at 32k/14bit and broadcast at 32k/10bit !!!

AS you say, the problem is not so much that the signal is recorded digitally, it seems that the process of saving the data can very easily lose the core musical elements. Even today, recorded R3 broadcasts are still not quite as good as the live transmission. Personally, I blame the Digital Audio Workstations (DAW), or more likely, the monkey at the controls!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Yes, you are both right ...
Digital still have a road to go ... store, packing, unpacking the formats, transfer links and e.t.c.
Here also issue is Business and how much it cost and for what audience (quantity) ... Music lovers are soooo small group that is not ...
7-8 years ago, I have one project for acoustical solution for new studio for one local very popular radio station ... We did it ... everybody was satisfied ... and at the end I ask manager of the radio why the sound of music is ... his answer was shock for me ... why to pay for links for data transfer so much when the thing are working like this and if pay for that how many people will recognize better when every body is listening on ...
Music First ...
Vlado