Playground for practical listening exercises

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Playground for practical listening exercices

Post by Charlie1 »

The bottom clip makes more sense to my ears and I enjoyed it more. Also, listening to the top clip, I found the bass unpleasently boomy at times.

They are both sounding lively and fun though. I think you efforts are taking you in the right direction.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’ve found my GS108T - it’s being used as the home hub/switch! I thought it might have been an FS108. Anyway, I exchanged the 108T for the 108, expecting the 108T on the HiFi to be much better, but I’m sure it was better with the 108T as the home hub - so much for expectation bias!

Maybe source first applies to networks too? I know it shouldn’t cos the data signal has been all over the place, but nothing was changed apart from the switches (not PS’s or cables), so there’s something interesting going on which deserves further investigation.

Vids to follow.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

for me the bottom clip too - I feel I hear more structure and a more relaxed way of presentation.
Top clip sounds „hurried“.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Sorry gents, it looks like the technology gremlins have been playing tricks with us again!

The GS108 clips were recorded first, followed by the Cisco, but I think they’ve been presented in reverse order.

So it looks like the first clip is the Cisco (you’ll know this cos I zoom in on the Cisco), followed by the 108 (no zooming in).

It would be great if someone could confirm this so we know that we’re all listening to the same thing
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

The topmost / leftmost clip is the Cisco (at my end) so I preferred the Netgear.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

That’s great, thanks charlie1.

I didn’t say anything before now cos I thought you’d all gone Mutton Jeff! :-)

I agree, the 108 is much better than the Cisco. Actually, I think the Cisco is really poor. It’s got a nice sound (clear and tight) but it totally messes the music up and jeeeezzzzzzz, is it boring!

Disclaimer: The Cisco has received universal claim, so there’s always the possibility that I’ve got a rogue one. However, we’ve done two different comparisons, with two completely different systems, in the playground recently, and the outcome has been the same both times.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I don't know if you rearranged the clips but I preferred the first clip (leftmost) that I just listened to (23 46 23). I don't find it Footstompin' at all on the second clip (23 46 40). You are getting close to my hometown with this one!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Sorry Thomas, this test has gone totally hooters up. I removed my geotagging metadata, but the app removed all my timing metadata too, which I didn’t notice at the time, so we’ve no way of knowing what you’re actually listening to.

I’ll re-record the clips, but with labels next to the HiFi next time.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

@ Spannko: The Cisco is a bit picky about what mains cable you use. I found that a Linn mains cable was considerably better than the standard Cisco power cable. Which did you use?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Tendaberry wrote: 2020-01-03 13:32 @ Spannko: The Cisco is a bit picky about what mains cable you use. I found that a Linn mains cable was considerably better than the standard Cisco power cable. Which did you use?
I used a generic cable. I’ve got a decent linn cable on a majik I use for the telly, so I’ll commandeer it later and do the tests again.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Do we have any idea (or even theories) as what makes one switch better than another?

These small Netgears have been promoted for many years now - any clue what makes them any different to the multitude of other brands out there?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Ethernet “Purifiers”

Post by Spannko »

Here’s a comparison of two network switches used as “purifiers”. That is, there’s no ‘switching’ going on cos there’s only one Ethernet cable going in and one out. I’ve swapped my Netgear switches round, so we’re comparing a Netgear GS108Tv2 (with the stock Netgear wall wart smps) with a Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-L (with a Linn supplied i-Sheng power cable). Both switches were plugged into the same double wall socket. Apart from the switches being changed, everything else remained the same. To see how much the switches purified the Ethernet signal/data, there’s also a video of the DS being supplied directly from the wall socket. For the switch comparison, a bjc cable was used between the wall socket and each switch. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wv2edf5j091 ... bZhla?dl=0

PS. The files are direct from Qobuz, streamed at 320k. I’ve used this cos I’ve downloaded the high res version onto the Melco which we can compare later.

PPS. I’ve just noticed that there’s a GS108Tv3 out now. Has anybody tried one?
Last edited by Spannko on 2020-01-06 16:40, edited 2 times in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Great clips Spannko. I really like the middle one. I am thinking it is the best ever from you.

I even like how the hiss from the analog tape sounds in that clip. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

order for me was
2 best
3 second best
1 not so good

margin between 2 and 3 was smaller than between 3 and 1

really hope the Netgear was 2
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Second clip is the best by far!

Defender, it says on the paper on the floor which is which.

Spannko, did you compare the ports on the GS108? Which did you use for in and which for out?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yes I saw but was not sure if he wanted trick us and 2 is coming out as Cisco ;)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-01-06 21:23
Spannko, did you compare the ports on the GS108? Which did you use for in and which for out?
Yeah, the GS108T is really excellent isn’t it! I thought initially that the GS108 might be as good, but when I swapped them again I realised that I was wrong. However, it’s still better than the Cisco.

I’ve got a Friwo power supply, but it dies when I plug the switch in. Maybe it was good that it’s broken!

I must admit, I didn’t compare ports - I cheated by following your advice. Port 7 in and port 8 out.

Have you heard the latest GS108Tv3?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Defender wrote: 2020-01-06 21:45 yes I saw but was not sure if he wanted trick us and 2 is coming out as Cisco ;)
No tricks Defender! The members on this forum are too cute. I’d get found out in an instant!
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

did you use the Friwo with the right polarity at the plug which goes into the GS? I think the behavior you describe is when you used the plug in the wrong way

the => needs to meet the -

=> -
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Defender wrote: 2020-01-06 21:59 did you use the Friwo with the right polarity at the plug which goes into the GS? I think the behavior you describe is when you used the plug in the wrong way

the => needs to meet the -

=> -
Thanks Defender. I swapped the polarity and now it works again.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I had a quick listen this afternoon and wasn't sure but using the speakers on my screen is the worst.

Jusf listened again now and struggling again. Maybe Just too tired now. Besides you have concensus.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

V III

Post by Ron The Mon »

Spannko wrote: 2020-01-06 21:55
lejonklou wrote: 2020-01-06 21:23 Spannko, did you compare the ports on the GS108? Which did you use for in and which for out?
Have you heard the latest GS108Tv3?
Is the V3 only powered via ethernet with battery backup? If so, comparing ports would seem paramount.

Ron The Mon
Skeptikal
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Second clip is the only good one here - It is amazing how much difference these switches make.

I needed an 8 port switch a while back and changed a GS105 to a FS108 ( no 8 port GS in stock) . it just destroyed the music and I remember looking at the Klimax DS and my Lejonklou amps and being rather upset.

Normal service was resumed after a few days when the GS108T was available.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I'm with the consensus here, clip 2 is easily the most musical. Clip 1 is easily the worst. You definitely want to listen to all the ports as they do all sound different! Also check your Netgear power supplies. I also have a GS108v2 and a GS108Tv2 and the power supplies that came with them, while outwardly appearing the same, were of different manufacture and had different sound. Here in the US the power plugs on them are also non-polarized so they can be plugged in with two directions - one of those definitely is more musical. All these little things really do matter, unlike what some would like us to think (lossless=perfect).
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: The GS108T and Melco N1ZH used as “Ethernet Purifiers”

Post by Spannko »

Here’s another “Ethernet Purifier” comparison. We’ve already determined that the GS108T is better than ‘no switch’ or the Cisco. This time we’re comparing the 108 on its own, the Melco on its own and the combination of the two. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c51nlky5z9f ... GaXPa?dl=0

PS I’ve got another GS108Tv2 arriving next week, so there’ll be more vids to follow!