Small top quality floorstanders

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Peter Lanky

Re: Small top quality floorstanders

Post by Peter Lanky »

Have you seen a photo of one anywhere in Walnut? I don't like the colour in the official photos at all; looks very artificial.
KDS/3 - 2 x Tundra Mono - Graham Audio LS5/9f
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Peter,

Haven't seen a walnut version as of yet but my LS5/9f in Ebony have a different look from the official GA one. I tried to upload a few small pictures (166KB) but get the error that the board attachment quota has been reached so will PM these to you.

As it's real wood veneer Graham uses in batches, there can be differences in their appearance. I have a pair of LS6 floorstanders also in Ebony but a much darker variant than my LS5/9f- almost towards black.

Your Graham Audio dealer has wood samples that - apart from their showroom models - give a better impression than pictures. With real wood veneer you have to work with what you receive but Graham takes great care in making the pairs matching together.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

The Grahams are definitely an interesting addition to the range and I look forward to hearing them.

Worth also considering the Totem Sky Tower if you want a really small floorstander.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

I'm not particularly after something really small, but something no larger than the Linn M140.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Update:

After a period of letting my brain settle down after all the information, I am going to Brian & Trevors next week to have a listen to the Graham LS5/9F as they now have pair for demo.

I would be far more comfortable buying them though once I have sold my M140s and my Boazu.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks for your update and very curious what your impression of the Graham Audio 5/9f will be.

As a Linn dealer it seems no more than obvious that Brian & Trevors would at least give you a good trade-in for your M140s upon puchasing a pair of 5/9f.

Hmm, and perhaps good timing for me to approach them if they would be interested in becoming a Lejonklou dealer ;-)

Happy to hear how you get on.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

I had the test of the Graham's yesterday and was very impressed. Physically they are very similar in size to the M140s but with a larger base.

As expected the Graham's produced more bass which was possibly the weakest link in the M140. I also noticed a much greater improvement of overall sound with music that was better produced, so jazz and classical improved far more than rock for example as for some reason, more effort seems to go into the production of these genres (anyone got an explanation).

The listening experience, that undefined criterion that's hard to explain, seemed far superior also.

The result? I will soon be the owner of a pair in walnut.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks for the update Peter!

I really liked the Graham 5/9f at X-Fi last year.

Majik 140's I've heard numerous times and have also been using in the lab during 2019. They're pretty good.

I have never compared the two! Wish I could have joined you on that demo. What did Brian and/or Trevor think?
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I met the 5/9f at brianandtrevor's last week.

I think its the only pair in the UK at the moment - they don't seem to have actually started production as yet. The stand is not only necessary for stability, but it actually forms an integral part of the downward firing port design - it is sculpted to force the downward firing air out to the front slot.

As contrast to 5/9, the f version is narrower but slightly deeper. Its bigger than it looks in the pictures and its finish is much more "furniture" than the "functional" of the standmount. Its a quality looking product. The drivers are identical. Apparently is goes about 15Hz deeper than the floorstander. Had a very quick listen but they weren't really set up for listening, just for "running-in" so I'll not comment on their sound here.

But B&T do have them and I imagine they'll be run-in sufficiently in a week or so.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-01-09 22:24 What did Brian and/or Trevor think?
I spent most of the demo with Trevor. He was obviously enthusiastic, but the enthusiasm was genuine. It was good to have some of the more technical aspects of speaker design and quality explained to me, but we also had quite a big overlap on musical taste, so plenty to relate to during the demo.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks for sharing that picture, walnut looks very nice on them.

Next is changing your signature!
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

mrco99 wrote: 2020-01-15 23:25 Next is changing your signature!
How remiss of me. Now sorted.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Congratulations! Very beautiful grain :-)
Math

Post by Math »

Peter Lanky wrote: 2020-01-09 18:04 I had the test of the Graham's yesterday and was very impressed. Physically they are very similar in size to the M140s but with a larger base.

As expected the Graham's produced more bass which was possibly the weakest link in the M140. I also noticed a much greater improvement of overall sound with music that was better produced, so jazz and classical improved far more than rock for example as for some reason, more effort seems to go into the production of these genres (anyone got an explanation).

The listening experience, that undefined criterion that's hard to explain, seemed far superior also.

The result? I will soon be the owner of a pair in walnut.
Hello Peter, now after some time with your new Graham speakers, maybe you can give us a longer review?

I have the M140's myself and thinking about an upgrade and the Graham's looks interesting, so a more in-depth comparison to them would be great. :)
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Math wrote: 2020-03-03 23:36 Hello Peter, now after some time with your new Graham speakers, maybe you can give us a longer review?

I have the M140's myself and thinking about an upgrade and the Graham's looks interesting, so a more in-depth comparison to them would be great. :)
Apologies for the delay, but I've (fortunately) managed to squeeze in a holiday before the world came to a halt.

I find it difficult to be helpful with a review of a speaker. Obviously what I said on initial listening still holds true, but other than that, the best I can probably say is that the output just sounds so much satisfying. It is certainly easier to place the instruments within the sound stage, and also better rendition, particularly bass guitar and drums, which are very tight especially when listening to a quality instrumentalist.

With jazz music, I've found that piano and double bass are particularly well defined, and without sounding pretentious, the music does 'reach out'. With classical music I've not found as bigger change with orchestral works, but then the 140s were already very good at this. For chamber music I would make similar comments as for jazz.

As a result, I want to listen to my music even more than I did before, often giving 6 hours a day or so of my time to it. It's a very subjective comment, but I would find it difficult for anyone not to be impressed with these speakers, and the walnut finish is also very satisfying, albeit at quite a high price premium.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Peter Lanky wrote: 2020-03-16 20:30
Math wrote: 2020-03-03 23:36 Hello Peter, now after some time with your new Graham speakers, maybe you can give us a longer review?

Apologies for the delay, but I've (fortunately) managed to squeeze in a holiday before the world came to a halt.

I find it difficult to be helpful with a review of a speaker. Obviously what I said on initial listening still holds true, but other than that, the best I can probably say is that the output just sounds so much satisfying. It is certainly easier to place the instruments within the sound stage, and also better rendition, particularly bass guitar and drums, which are very tight especially when listening to a quality instrumentalist.

With jazz music, I've found that piano and double bass are particularly well defined, and without sounding pretentious, the music does 'reach out'. With classical music I've not found as bigger change with orchestral works, but then the 140s were already very good at this. For chamber music I would make similar comments as for jazz.

As a result, I want to listen to my music even more than I did before, often giving 6 hours a day or so of my time to it. It's a very subjective comment, but I would find it difficult for anyone not to be impressed with these speakers, and the walnut finish is also very satisfying, albeit at quite a high price premium.
You know what they say Peter. A video is worth a thousand words 😁
Math

Post by Math »

Peter Lanky wrote: 2020-03-16 20:30

Thank you, better late than never, no problem. :)

Finally, they put them up on their website, but unfortunately, I can't find a single dealer in Sweden who sells them right now.