Tonearm for LP12

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

FJH

Tonearm for LP12

Post by FJH »

Trying again.

I have a Linn LP12 with an older Akito tonearm, circus bearing, kore sub chassis, T-cable and naim armageddon power supply
The vertical bearing in the arm has started to cause problems and the arm will probably need to be changed soon.
However, it can still play.

However, I have some doubt which arm to choose, my options are.
A new majic arm.
A new Akito arm.
A used Ittok arm.
A used naim aro arm
I would like some help and a description of what I can expect from the various and which one might give the most value for money
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tonearm for LP12

Post by ThomasOK »

While I am not a big fan of unipivots on an LP12 the Aro is one of the better ones. But it is still a bit fiddly. I have not done direct comparisons personally with the Linn arms as we aren't a Naim dealer but I have set up a few foro customers who already have them and they were happy with them.

As to the three Linn arms you mention a lot could come down to pricing. I would say in terms of musical quality the ranking from best to worst would be:

1. Akito 3
2. Ittok
3. Majik tonearm

The Akito 3 and Ittok are not too far apart musically but any Ittok is going to be decades old at this point, although they generally hold up very well with age. The Akito 3 would be new or near new and is something Linn still supports in terms of repair, it also comes with the most musical arm cable Linn makes, although it can be bought separately for other arms for about $400. Obviously the Akito 3 at $2400US is going to be quite a bit more expensive than an Ittok which is likely to go for $900-$1000 in the US. The Majik tonearm is a good basic arm but is not in the league of the other two. As a new arm for an LP12 at under $1000 it is quite good, but musically an Ittok or Akito 3 would, I believe, be superior, even though its price is similar to what a used Ittok would go for.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

FJH wrote: 2019-12-21 16:38my options are.
A new majic arm.
A new Akito arm.
A used Ittok arm.
A used naim aro arm
why? Get a used Ekos :)
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Just Say No

Post by Ron The Mon »

FJH wrote: 2019-12-21 16:38 ...which one might give the most value for money
FJH,
Definitely not the ARO!!

First of all, is your LP12 a DIY affair or set up by a dealer? What cartridge are you using?

Every ARO is, of course, used. Most are missing at least three items of all the listings I've seen. Important to you is you're using a T-Kable, which won't work with the ARO. Virtually all AROs sold used are missing the tonearm cable or it is butchered. Most were supplied with BNC ends that were cut off and inferior RCA connectors poorly soldered on.

In addition, you will need a Kore for ARO; not just a new armboard. Linn sell Kores for Linn, SME, Rega, and Naim arms; they are four different mounts.

Naim no longer support the ARO because of parts unavailability and if yours is missing something or is damaged, you may not be able to get parts easily, cheap, or at all.

Any used Ekos (as mentioned by Azazello above) is a far better value with your T-Kable/Kore. Also consider, if paying a dealer for this install, to buy a cheaper arm (Ittok/Basik) and trade up your Armageddon for a Lingo4 or your Kore to a Keel. The same cash will net you more music.

Ron The Mon
FJH

Post by FJH »

I have an Adikt with a Slipsik 7.
Naim aro and majic arm is no longer an option for me.

I haven't mentioned an Ekos arm as it's above my budget and a new Akito arm, which I understand is better than the old Ekos arms.
It's a dealer that has done all the upgrades on my LP12.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

actually I woudnt really rule out the Ekos 2 arms you can get them used in the 1300Euro-1400Euro range.
The Ekos 2 would be in the range of an Akito 3b but I have not heard the Akito 3b beating the Ekos 2 however never had the chance to compare both.
Or you wait for a good used Ekos SE - some go for 2100-2300Euros.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

If you are considering the Naim Aro, the EKOS II should not be missing.

A few years ago I had both arms and two identical LP12s. Equipped with prefix, Hi & supercap, Armagedon and Norton PS, they played Troika, Karma and Arkiv in both arms. The decision was easy for me, the Ekos was better in the lower range.
Trust your ears
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

The most recent version of the Akito tonearm should sound better than any version of the Ittok or Majik. Plus, for the amount of money spent on a new Akito (3B), you could probably find an Ekos II, or even a newer Ekos SE tonearm. And finding a used Ekos might be easier than finding a used Naim ARO tonearm.

Good luck and if possible, report back on your decision.
Tony Tune-age