The Mighty AT95E Becomes The AT-VM95E

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Jokke

Re: The Mighty AT95E Becomes The AT-VM95E

Post by Jokke »

Thanks Beck. I think that I probably should have bought the vm95e to compare apples to apples. I may be able to transplant the at95e needle assembly to the vm95 and hear how that works. It might give a bit more top end detail and extension to make everything better come together.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

AT95E vs. AT-VM95C

Post by Ron The Mon »

Jokke wrote: 2019-12-28 11:25 What am I not getting? Is it a breaking in issue where the vm95 just needs more time? Is it a loading issue (I run very low capacitance -very low capacitance cable and no added C in my phono pre and 47K). On another forum it was suggested to run the vm95 at higher impedance i.e. 100k which could make sense together with the new line's higher inductance... Unfortunately my pre can't do this.
How many hours on your old AT95E? Approximately what year was it made? How many hours on your new AT-VM95C?

There were changes made to the AT95E over the years and decades. If yours is 30 years old, it will sound different than purchasing last years model, especially the AT95EX. The new VM styli need around 18 hours to fully break in.

I do not believe in hi-fi old wive's tales like end of side distortion, VTA being critical, or the importance of cartridge loading; it's all poppycock! There are other aspects, like properly torquing screws which really do improve the music.

What phono stage do you have? A simple test is to reinstall your AT95 body and compare the E needle to the new VMC needle. The blue stylus will work on the older body. Record them and post the results here. Then do the opposite, install the VM body and compare styli in that. You will need to slightly trim some of the plastic on the green stylus with side cutters or scissors; it's really easy to do.

Could it be that I am too used to more advanced styli and should have gone for a better styli fx. Vm95N or perhaps the vm95ml. On the latter, Ron you wrote that it and the Shibata didn't work well for you. Could you please elaborate on this since many write good things about the 95ml.
Here is what others on various other hi-fi forums say about the AT-VM95 higher end styli: **The VM95ML is a definite improvement in detail, tightness and sound stage. The Shibata is so much more clear at the top end and bass much fuller. The Microline produces a sound that is rich in detail and has rhythmic drive in spades. Stereo imaging is greatly improved as is the texture of instruments and their placement within the stereo field. The top end is crystal clear with no audible tracking distortion to speak of and a complete lack of sibilance.**

Are these guys listening to sound effects records or music?

The "boogie" you talked about in your opening post is lost at the expense of hi-fi clichés in the two more expensive models. Try an AT-VM95E stylus next and buy a used Richmont Sturtevant CAL36/4 torque screwdriver when one comes up at a good price.

Lastly, you infer you are the one setting up your LP12. It is possible your deck isn't as tuneful as it could be and that would be a better place for attention than throwing money at styli and cartridges.

Ron The Mon
Needle-Freak
Jokke

Post by Jokke »

Hi Ron. Thanks for your elaborate reply!

The AT95e was bought about 3-4 years ago. I believe I’ve put around 20-25 hours on it (holidays).

The vm95c didn’t get anywhere near the 18 hours so i need to give it more time to settle. I installed it, played a lot of music and fiddled with the screw torque and the weight but couldn’t find that sweet spot where I felt that rhythms got focused and the flowed properly while instruments opened up and decayed just right for the melodic aspects to come through. After 24 hours of musical agony (probably 5-6 hours play time) I made a quick decision and put back the at95e (which probably had around 10-12 hours on it) and the music was back. Instantly. Since i have just enjoyed my record collection and been amazed just how great the musicians perform and how much fun this hobby can be. I recognize that I didn’t give the vm95c a fair chance and cross my fingers that i has more to show once broken properly in.

yes i do my own cartridge installation but the deck was restored, fixed, tuned and all that by the best lp12 guy we have in this neck of the wood. Im just gobsmacked at how easy it is to fine tune the cartridge by ear. I dont think my deck is to blame for how I perceive the at-vm95c. Of the carts i tried on my deck: k18, troika and a rebuilt quintet bronze with shibata diamond and now the at95 variations, it is only the vm95c that i feel has this particular problem. The quintet was worst in terms of getting the music but it didnt sound confined at all. Just not musical. The at95e however is. Would that be possible if the deck was poorly setup?

I shall definitely look for that torque screwdriver so that I have a proper reference for my preferred torque settings and a means for comparison with others.

My phono pre is an iFI iPhono2. It’s not my end game but has proven to be fairly versatile when shifting between mm and mc carts. Unfortunately I don’t have the means to record my deck so I can’t offer clips for you to evaluate my doings. Sorry about that. It would have served as a much better reference.

Once time allows i will return with my results from changing the needle. Since the at95e is already doing so well on the arm, I’ll try to stick the conical needle on it and see what that’s like :)

Best
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Jokke wrote: 2019-12-29 10:32 Hi Ron. Thanks for your elaborate reply!

The AT95e was bought about 3-4 years ago. I believe I’ve put around 20-25 hours on it (holidays).

The vm95c didn’t get anywhere near the 18 hours so i need to give it more time to settle. I installed it, played a lot of music and fiddled with the screw torque and the weight but couldn’t find that sweet spot where I felt that rhythms got focused and the flowed properly while instruments opened up and decayed just right for the melodic aspects to come through. After 24 hours of musical agony (probably 5-6 hours play time) I made a quick decision and put back the at95e (which probably had around 10-12 hours on it) and the music was back. Instantly. Since i have just enjoyed my record collection and been amazed just how great the musicians perform and how much fun this hobby can be. I recognize that I didn’t give the vm95c a fair chance and cross my fingers that i has more to show once broken properly in.

yes i do my own cartridge installation but the deck was restored, fixed, tuned and all that by the best lp12 guy we have in this neck of the wood. Im just gobsmacked at how easy it is to fine tune the cartridge by ear. I dont think my deck is to blame for how I perceive the at-vm95c. Of the carts i tried on my deck: k18, troika and a rebuilt quintet bronze with shibata diamond and now the at95 variations, it is only the vm95c that i feel has this particular problem. The quintet was worst in terms of getting the music but it didnt sound confined at all. Just not musical. The at95e however is. Would that be possible if the deck was poorly setup?

I shall definitely look for that torque screwdriver so that I have a proper reference for my preferred torque settings and a means for comparison with others.

My phono pre is an iFI iPhono2. It’s not my end game but has proven to be fairly versatile when shifting between mm and mc carts. Unfortunately I don’t have the means to record my deck so I can’t offer clips for you to evaluate my doings. Sorry about that. It would have served as a much better reference.

Once time allows i will return with my results from changing the needle. Since the at95e is already doing so well on the arm, I’ll try to stick the conical needle on it and see what that’s like :)

Best
Welcome Jokke,
I know it's a pain, but any chance of some clips, not that I don't believe you or anything :0)
I know that tune
Jokke

Post by Jokke »

Hi Lego.
Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated. Unfortunately I don’t have the equipment to record so there is really no chance as it is. It’s too bad since i think it could have been interesting to see how others perceive the differences that I talk about.

That said, I could imagine that differences in our phono stages is also a great part of this. Perhaps the at95e’s ‘lively’ nature is a good match for my iPhono2 which I’m pretty sure is more ‘civilized’ that say a stageline.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Welcome to the forum, Jokke!

I haven't yet experimented with the new VM95, but I've wanted to for a long time. Your critical comments made me even more curious! Based partly on previous experience and mainly on the clips posted in here, I will however not spend any time on the conical or the nude elliptical styluses. I feel confident that model E is the best.

I strongly doubt your results has anything to do with your phono stage or its load on the cartridge. The optimal load of an MM is very similar across the board, regardless of model. A little more or less capacitance will shape the upper end of the frequency spectrum, but it will not change the fundamentals of the reproduction. Those who obsess about that are audiophiles who think a flat frequency response is the holy grail. It's not.

In addition, there's also a difference in hierarchy to observe: The cartridge is more important than the phono stage. This means that a better cartridge will always sound better, even if the phono stage isn't a "perfect match". The whole idea of a perfectly matched phono stage - cartridge combination is terribly overrated.

I'm really looking forward to playing with my old AT95E and the new AT-VM95E. My local HiFi dealer next door has a whole stack of them, I just need to pick it up. And then also test aluminum versus stainless steel screws to mount it with. I just need to get out of my very comfortable MC bubble!
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Tune Dem Extraordiner

Post by Ron The Mon »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-30 23:31 ...comments made me even more curious! Based partly on previous experience and mainly on the clips posted in here, I will however not spend any time on the conical or the nude elliptical styluses. I feel confident that model E is the best.
Fredrik,
Your comments are quite foolish. You have only heard clips of AT-VM95 styli on a Linn K9!!!

I have made many claims on this forum over the years. Have you ever proven me wrong once? I have been banging on about the audio quality of Spotify being superior for years. No one here has ever proven me wrong or challenged me. You recently demoed Google Play vs. Spotify and seemed surprised Spotify was better. Do the same with Tidal. Tidal blows.

Then buy an AT-VM95C (along with an AT-VM95E). Why would you NOT buy a $31 stylus that Ron The Mon has been raving about? I have tried all your tips on this Forum and ALL have improved the performance of my hi-fi. You and I use and have the same standard. Take my word, the "C" is the bomb-diggity.

Ron The Mon
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

I Repeat Myself When Under Stress, I Repeat Myself When Under Stress,...

Post by Ron The Mon »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2019-12-28 08:36
ThomasOK wrote: 2019-12-13 20:17 ...the Carbon also has a tiny Phillips screw holding the body to the mounting frame and it sounds best at .2Nm - 11 notches; the lowest torque I've found. I haven't tried this with other AT cartridges with a similar mounting but they should have a proper low torque too. However, some of these are stripped for you by the factory and won't take even that small torque.
Tom,
On page two of this thread I responded to Charlie1, "If you experiment with the K9, be sure to also adjust the torque of the Phillips screw on top of the cartridge body. I found it sounds better at a lower torque than stock (at least on the one example I had). Same goes for the AT95E body."

By "one example", I meant the K9. I have years ago previously, by ear, experimented with the torque of that screw on my AT95E. I only realized a month or so back the AT-VM95 has the same screw as well. I thought the body and frame were glued together but it is the exact same screw but hidden under the "Made In China (or Japan)" sticker with some glue on it.

On a Linn arm, that tiny Phillips screw is perfectly attainable through a hole in the headshell. As you mention, it is quite tight, and stripping could be a result of loosening and retorquing, not the factory install. It is a stainless steel screw with very fine pitch fastening two pieces of plastic together. It is also threaded directly into plastic. I'm going to try an aluminum screw as this would be lighter and there is no need for a high torque. Your Carbon value is not low at all considering it equates to an inch/pound of force fastening half-inch to an eighth-inch block of plastic.

Below is the unmolested torque from the factory vs. .2Nm -11 as recommended. I will experiment further. However, I am up now at 2:30am playing Partridge Family records!!! It is crazy the amount of music I'm extracting from this $34 cartridge.

Unmolested: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bkvoO_ ... 8c2R7U7UhQ

.2Nm -11: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0H99kHd ... q0W_TWneZA

Ron The Mon
Aghast
P.S.
I Repeat Myself When Under Stress
Jokke

Post by Jokke »

Thanks for your kind welcome and for your reply, Frederik.

I too feel that the vm95e is the one to try. Next year :)

I see your point about the hierarchy where the cartridge is more important than the cable/load and phono stage. What happens between groove/stylus and generator cannot be improved later on. Source first :)

It will be interesting to read about your experiences with the at95e and vm95e once you feel ready to escape your mc booble however nice and cozy it might be. Happy new year to all of you!

Best
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tune Dem Extraordiner

Post by lejonklou »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2019-12-31 04:46 Fredrik,
Your comments are quite foolish. You have only heard clips of AT-VM95 styli on a Linn K9!!!
What difference does that make, Ron?

I felt that stylus E performed better than EN or C on the clips, does this order only apply to a K9 body? Why then was a K9 body used?

In the late 80's, I compared the conical stylus of AT-93 to the bonded elliptical one of AT-95E and preferred the 95E. I found that conical sounds fun, but too colored. It's also limited in terms of tracking. I think there are good reasons why the conical shape is not used on any of the best cartridges out there.

That said, of course I will try a C stylus if I get the chance. They don't have it next door to me, but they have the E which is what I'll start with.

Regarding Tidal vs Spotify, I reached the same conclusion as you one and a half years ago (but then for some reason Google Play ruled them all). But this result depends highly on how the streaming service is implemented. Linn have integrated Tidal in their Kazoo, which might give a completely different result. I haven't tested it, so I don't know.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: I Repeat Myself When Under Stress, I Repeat Myself When Under Stress,...

Post by ThomasOK »

I repeat...
The more I look at it,
The more I like it.
I do think it's good.

I definitely prefer the properly molested clip. Easier to get into it (considering the music that's saying something) and flows better.

I avoid the forums on my days off as much as possible so don't be surprised when you don't hear from me on Sundays or Mondays (or even Saturdays if it is a busy day at the store).
Ron The Mon wrote: 2019-12-31 04:58
Ron The Mon wrote: 2019-12-28 08:36
ThomasOK wrote: 2019-12-13 20:17 ...the Carbon also has a tiny Phillips screw holding the body to the mounting frame and it sounds best at .2Nm - 11 notches; the lowest torque I've found. I haven't tried this with other AT cartridges with a similar mounting but they should have a proper low torque too. However, some of these are stripped for you by the factory and won't take even that small torque.
Tom,
On page two of this thread I responded to Charlie1, "If you experiment with the K9, be sure to also adjust the torque of the Phillips screw on top of the cartridge body. I found it sounds better at a lower torque than stock (at least on the one example I had). Same goes for the AT95E body."

By "one example", I meant the K9. I have years ago previously, by ear, experimented with the torque of that screw on my AT95E. I only realized a month or so back the AT-VM95 has the same screw as well. I thought the body and frame were glued together but it is the exact same screw but hidden under the "Made In China (or Japan)" sticker with some glue on it.

On a Linn arm, that tiny Phillips screw is perfectly attainable through a hole in the headshell. As you mention, it is quite tight, and stripping could be a result of loosening and retorquing, not the factory install. It is a stainless steel screw with very fine pitch fastening two pieces of plastic together. It is also threaded directly into plastic. I'm going to try an aluminum screw as this would be lighter and there is no need for a high torque. Your Carbon value is not low at all considering it equates to an inch/pound of force fastening half-inch to an eighth-inch block of plastic.

Below is the unmolested torque from the factory vs. .2Nm -11 as recommended. I will experiment further. However, I am up now at 2:30am playing Partridge Family records!!! It is crazy the amount of music I'm extracting from this $34 cartridge.

Unmolested: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bkvoO_ ... 8c2R7U7UhQ

.2Nm -11: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0H99kHd ... q0W_TWneZA

Ron The Mon
Aghast
P.S.
I Repeat Myself When Under Stress
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I don’t know if it’s me or you Thomas, but but I didn’t understand a word of that. One of us has been on the NYE sauce, and since its a about midday your side of the pond, the chances are that it’s not you. OTOH, it could be both of us, he hic he!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Well, it can't be me on the sauce as I haven't had a drink for 47 years! However, I can try putting it in clearer English.

The first part is a quote from the King Crimson song "Indiscipline" which features the chorus "I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress." etc. It was simply a comeback to Ron The Mon who used that line "I repeat myself when under stress." as the title of his original post and the line on his repeat of it. No other connection to the rest of the post.

As to "I definitely prefer the properly molested clip. Easier to get into it (considering the music that's saying something) and flows better." Ron posted an "unmolseted" cartridge clip and another in which the torque of the screw holding the mounting plate of an AT cartridge to the body had been torqued to .2Nm -11 notches, the torque I had posted as optimal. I found the torqued cartridge to be more musical and enjoyable, not a big surprise. So that was the "molested' cartridge.

Hopefully this will make it through any alcohol fueled haze you are experiencing.

Happy New Year to all, whether your celebration is alcohol fueled or not. I hope we all have a great 2020 - I'm hoping it will be a year to take Lejonklou HiFi up a notch. The Entity would appear to be a good start in that direction.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

A night for streamed consciousness so that no LP12s are injured in the welcoming of a new year & decade? Party like it's VM95 :)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tune Dem Extraordiner

Post by u252agz »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-31 13:44
Ron The Mon wrote: 2019-12-31 04:46 Fredrik,
What difference does that make, Ron?

I felt that stylus E performed better than EN or C on the clips, does this order only apply to a K9 body? Why then was a K9 body used?

In the late 80's, I compared the conical stylus of AT-93 to the bonded elliptical one of AT-95E and preferred the 95E. I found that conical sounds fun, but too colored. It's also limited in terms of tracking. I think there are good reasons why the conical shape is not used on any of the best cartridges out there.

That said, of course I will try a C stylus if I get the chance. They don't have it next door to me, but they have the E which is what I'll start with.

Regarding Tidal vs Spotify, I reached the same conclusion as you one and a half years ago (but then for some reason Google Play ruled them all). But this result depends highly on how the streaming service is implemented. Linn have integrated Tidal in their Kazoo, which might give a completely different result. I haven't tested it, so I don't know.
I also preferred the E stylus on the clips and had made a mental note that a ATVM-95E was the only real alternative MM cartridge to an Adikt.

Regarding Tidal on Linn’s Kazoo - I have been converted to Anthony’s ( and others on this Forum’s thinking)
That it is currently exceptionally good.

I just hoope software ‘upgrades’ do not change this for the worse in the future- otherwise I will opt for the Zen mini III for my favourite CDs.

I suspect I will still keep Tidal if only to have so many albums available to try - it’s really quite addictive.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Stylus Schmylus

Post by Ron The Mon »

Mikeg

Post by Mikeg »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-17 20:36 I have to test aluminium screws on both my Krystal and my Adikt!
Has anyone tried this yet?
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

No, I don't tried that combinations … I use Al screws on other cartridges, but that is not relevant here ...
Music First ...
Vlado
imarcel

Post by imarcel »

Hi, I´m new here.
Two months ago my second Kandid showed clear signs the stylus had reached his end of life.
The silibances were very annoying. Because of lack of funds for a new Kandid I decided to try a new boron cantilever with new stylus for the old Kandid. It was clear it would take some time, so for interim I bought an unused esc rebuilt Troika. Sadly, when this arrived, it was broken (one channel dead).
So I searched and found my 25 years old k9 complete with a k9 stylus (played many hours 20 years ago) and a practically unused at95e stylus with a bent cantilever. I had to drag out a spare creek 4240 because I had no other mm pre.
I installed the k9 with k9 needle and to my surprise it sounded very good. Then I straightened the at95e cantilever with pliers, installed it and…wow !! It rocks. Of course a lot less detailed than Kandid and instruments don´t sound anyway as real, but tune, musicality, fun, rock…all there.
I decided to buy a new at95e stylus, but then online tumbled on the new VM95 stylus range. As they fit better on the K9 body I instantly ordered the “best” (most expensive) Shibata stylus.
While waiting for the stylus to arrive I discovered this thread. Why not try, I thought. Maybe Ron The Mon is right. So another order for a vm95 body, a conical and an elliptical stylus. The Shibata stylus went back without opening the parcel.
The end of the story: Ron The Mon IS right. This cheap little gems perform great. Value for money is incredible. I think I could easily life with them forever. Maybe my Kandid was not performing best, maybe it is easier (for me) to install mm cartridges, maybe, maybe… but right now I am very pleased.
Thank you very much Ron The Mon.
Marcel
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Kan Do Instead of Kan Did

Post by Ron The Mon »

imarcel wrote: 2020-02-13 19:32 Thank you very much Ron The Mon.
Marcel,
You are welcome! Your post is the whole reason I started this thread.

Do not underestimate the quality of the Creek phono stage either when considering a replacement. Even though it is a moving magnet plug-in module, it sounds really good.

Did you read this whole thread? Specifically about using the stock aluminum screws and properly torquing? The links to audio recordings may have expired but the info is there. Buy the recommended torque driver and settings for all three screws and the performance will be boosted further.

What are your LP12 specifications and the rest of the system?

Ron The Mon
imarcel

Post by imarcel »

Hello Ron,

I have been torquing for a few years now (I visited linn forum quite regulary). Until recently I was using a Wera torque driver. It has a range of 1nm to 4nm but it´s very difficult to reproduce specific torque values, and the 0,4 nm for the vm95 is out of range. So I ordered two used Sturtevant Richmont CAL 36/4. I calibrated them using the tonearm locking screw the way it is suggested here.
Now having 1,6 nm on the tonearm, 0,4 nm on the AL screws of the VM95. Tracking force 1,5 gr. And 0,9 antiskating. This way, for now, is the best for my ears.

My system is:
Klimax LP12 - Ekos SE/0 – VM95E - Creek 4240 mkII SE – Kan I

If interested, here´s a bit of my Hifi history:

30 years ago, when I was 20, a friend took me to the local Linn store. I owned a Technics separates Hifi.
After visiting the store several times, I ended up buying a LP12 /Akito I /K5 /Ikea Axamo combination. They had advised me to better keep the whole Technics stuff and put my entire money into the turntable (the money was intended for my drivers license which is very expensive here).
While studying I could only afford an upgrade very seldom. Lingo I, K9, used Linn Index and a used NAD 3020, later used Linn Kan II and a brand new Creek 4240.
When I started earning money the upgrades were easier to finance. I changed to MC carts (have been through one Arkiv, two Akivas and two Kandids in the last 16 years).
Last year my sytem was:
Klimax LP12 – Kandid – Sarum Tuned Aray – KK/D – Klimax Katan Aktiv Crossovers – 2*KTwin/D – Kann II – 221 sub
Then after returning from holydays, I switched on and the 221 sub´s amp died smoke coming out of it.
After thinking of replacing it, I decided to downgrade the whole system to an easier one.
Not only because of the costs, which are rather high if you are in this range: New MC every few years, the upgrades you think are necessary… It is also appealing to me to have a simple system. The “best” source (Turntable), one box for amplifying and a pair of small speakers.
…Now I wonder how a Slipsik and a Boazu would sound in my sytem…but then Fredrik "forgot" a line out on the Boazu and I need that to digitize my record collection (I run a café/bar and there is a ADSM/0 – 4200 – Linn Sara –Linn Kan system installed there that is fed with the recordings)

Greetings Marcel
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

imarcel wrote: 2020-02-14 10:17
My system is:
Klimax LP12 - Ekos SE/0 – VM95E - Creek 4240 mkII SE – Kan I

If interested, here´s a bit of my Hifi history:

30 years ago, when I was 20, a friend took me to the local Linn store. I owned a Technics separates Hifi.
After visiting the store several times, I ended up buying a LP12 /Akito I /K5 /Ikea Axamo combination. They had advised me to better keep the whole Technics stuff and put my entire money into the turntable (the money was intended for my drivers license which is very expensive here).
While studying I could only afford an upgrade very seldom. Lingo I, K9, used Linn Index and a used NAD 3020, later used Linn Kan II and a brand new Creek 4240.
When I started earning money the upgrades were easier to finance. I changed to MC carts (have been through one Arkiv, two Akivas and two Kandids in the last 16 years).
Last year my sytem was:
Klimax LP12 – Kandid – Sarum Tuned Aray – KK/D – Klimax Katan Aktiv Crossovers – 2*KTwin/D – Kann II – 221 sub
Then after returning from holydays, I switched on and the 221 sub´s amp died smoke coming out of it.
After thinking of replacing it, I decided to downgrade the whole system to an easier one.
Not only because of the costs, which are rather high if you are in this range: New MC every few years, the upgrades you think are necessary… It is also appealing to me to have a simple system. The “best” source (Turntable), one box for amplifying and a pair of small speakers.
…Now I wonder how a Slipsik and a Boazu would sound in my sytem…but then Fredrik "forgot" a line out on the Boazu and I need that to digitize my record collection (I run a café/bar and there is a ADSM/0 – 4200 – Linn Sara –Linn Kan system installed there that is fed with the recordings)

Greetings Marcel
Hi Marcel,
Welcome to the forum, believe me, one of the best place on the planet for music lovers ... members here are with BIG experience ...
Nice journey ... a lot members have it almost the same (including me), going up down, left right and at the end of day, we are here ... and why ... because of music ...
Welcome again and enjoy
Vlado
Music First ...
Vlado
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Marcel Story

Post by Ron The Mon »

Marcel,
What a great story and history!

It appears you have the best sounding AT-VM95 on the planet right now. No wonder it sounds so good; you've already taken it to the limit. It's good to get positive feedback of my tracking and torque settings.

Where is your café/bar? I'd love to have a drink and chat while listening to "vinyl" over Saras.

Ron The Mon
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Cool story indeed and quite the VM95 setup! Funnily, I won a Wera torque driver in a Newark contest a couple of years ago. I found I would require three different drivers to cover the needed range and that I couldn't make fine enough adjustments with it. I just found it on a shelf a couple of days ago still in the original packaging and covered in dust. I should probably put it on eBay and use the money to buy another SR driver (ask Fredrik, you can't have too many).

If I was you I would definitely look at the Slipsik 7.1/Boazu. When you need to digitize vinyl just unplug the Slipsik and plug it into your soundcard/ADC.
The LP12 Whisperer
imarcel

Post by imarcel »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the friendly words !

For me downgrading has given me the oportunity to "start all over again". But because i have learned a lot, from you here and others, i am starting on a much higher level of musicality than 20 years ago. I think this new travel will get me to a different point than my old way.

For me part of the fun IS the road to musical nirvana. I will start reading some of your older threads here, maybe this will help make up my mind for the path I want to choose.

So, you may want to prepare: I might have a question or two from time to time.

Thank you all very much again.

Marcel

ps: I live in Berlin / Germany