Entity MC

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Entity MC

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2019-11-04 18:35 are there any news on the release date of the Entity MC?
You probably don't want to miss the business from many Gentlemen to buy their own Christmas gift ;)
Thanks for asking, Defender!

The circuit boards have just gone through their three different soldering processes and are ready and waiting. All the parts for the assembly are prepared and also ready and waiting.

What we're waiting for is the cases, which have 12 long ventilation holes machined into the top and bottom. I was told this morning that they're 2-3 weeks away.

So soon they'll be out! My plan was November, let's see if I can make that.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Exciting.

Looking forward to hearing clips of Entity/Krystal vs Urika/Krystal.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you for the update - I am sure that puts a smile in many faces here.

This forum is soo bad - made me spent more money than I can really afford in one year - but I still have the feeling it also saves me money as I am now spending it on buying the right things ... so I am good ;)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Yes

The curiosity, excitement and anticipation of a new Lejonklou product is often quickly replaced by a feeling of being compelled towards a purchase that one had not planned, nor budgeted for.

But always worth it and no regrets so far.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Update:

I've received a new date for the enclosures to be ready: The 28th of November. Then it will take about a week until I have the first batch of Entities ready for delivery.

I'm starting to get excited again! I was so frustrated with waiting for my subcontractors that I had to focus on other things. Now it's getting close!
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Happy to hear that - great news!
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

:) still the right timing for Christmas gifts
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-10-15 21:01 Linn Arkiv, Akiva and Kandid cartridges share the same optimal load. In parallel with 10 nF, I find the optimal resistive load to be 120 ohms. This value is not a sharp peak in performance, but rather a gentle hill. By this I mean that the difference is small between 110 and 130. With Krystal and Klyde, I find the optimal resistive load to be 180 ohms.

With less capacitance, the optimal resistive load also gets lower. But the most musical amount of capacitance is 10 nF. Less increases apparent detail (=false detail; when sounds are less connected they appear more separate and all over the place, which can be misinterpreted as more detail, while there's really no more information) and the music becomes more like fireworks than something that moves you.

Linn have used many different loads on their MC inputs and in the past always used 10 nF on their top models and 4.7 nF on the others. Urika 1 specs say 75 ohms, but on the circuit board it says 150 ohms. And last time I torqued one, the actual resistor there was 85 ohms.
Does this mean that Urika is not an ideal match for Krystal, and that Entity may improve the performance of Krystal relative to Kandid, as compared to both via Urika, by providing a separate setting?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

David Neel wrote: 2019-11-21 20:18Does this mean that Urika is not an ideal match for Krystal, and that Entity may improve the performance of Krystal relative to Kandid, as compared to both via Urika, by providing a separate setting?
Urika 1 is matched to what Linn thinks sounds best with Akiva and Kandid, so it's not the ideal load for Krystal.

Entity will have three loading options, selectable by switches at the rear, below the RCA connectors. One will be ideal for Klyde/Krystal, the second for Akiva/Kandid and the third a bit lower still, for the cartridges who work best with that (although I haven't tested them and therefore don't know for sure, I think it could be ideal for Lyra's SL (Single Layer) models).
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-11-21 21:04
David Neel wrote: 2019-11-21 20:18Does this mean that Urika is not an ideal match for Krystal, and that Entity may improve the performance of Krystal relative to Kandid, as compared to both via Urika, by providing a separate setting?
Urika 1 is matched to what Linn thinks sounds best with Akiva and Kandid, so it's not the ideal load for Krystal.

Entity will have three loading options, selectable by switches at the rear, below the RCA connectors. One will be ideal for Klyde/Krystal, the second for Akiva/Kandid and the third a bit lower still, for the cartridges who work best with that (although I haven't tested them and therefore don't know for sure, I think it could be ideal for Lyra's SL (Single Layer) models).
I'm taking from this, that I need to compare Kandid and Krystal via Entity, rather than via Urika, as the results will be different. And very likely Entity will move Krystal closer to Kandid. For someone (like me) who is baulking at the running cost of Kandid, that's quite important.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

David Neel wrote: 2019-11-21 22:35 I'm taking from this, that I need to compare Kandid and Krystal via Entity, rather than via Urika, as the results will be different.
Perhaps, but the effect of loading should also not be overrated, in my opinion. A better phono stage will win over a lesser one even if the cartridge load is less than optimal.

I would describe the differences when adjusting the load as refinements rather than big changes.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-11-21 23:01 I would describe the differences when adjusting the load as refinements rather than big changes.
Thanks!
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Given a person with a 2003 Lp12, Lingo 3, Klyde, Linto,
Entity would be a reasonable upgrade from Linto?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

fredrik wrote: 2019-11-28 04:54 Given a person with a 2003 Lp12, Lingo 3, Klyde, Linto,
Entity would be a reasonable upgrade from Linto?
Since you have a tonearm cable on your LP12, it's very easy to compare them.

As soon as the first batch is ready - I'm hoping by the end of next week - you can borrow one and have a listen.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Apologies for being rather offline these last weeks! I've been completely occupied with the production of Entity.

In October and November, a bunch of details went wrong with the casing and they all had to be redone. As a result, I've lost two subcontractors that decided they no longer want to bother with things requiring surface quality. When I asked "Do your other customers accept scratches, spots, irregularities and dents?", the reply I received after a long pause, was "Yes".

To give you an idea about the recent discussions I've had with the companies making special parts for me, I'm going to tell you the true story of when I took my suit to a dry cleaner here in Uppsala.

This was in the mid 90's and my suit had a fresh stain that I wanted to get rid of. When I returned to the dry cleaning facility to pick it up a week later, the stain was still there. In fact, upon closer inspection the entire suit looked like it hadn't been cleaned at all. I asked the man behind the counter, who I had learned was the owner of the facility:

- This stain here, I mentioned it last week, it's funny but to me it looks exactly the same.
- What kind of stain is it?
- I don't know what kind of stain it is, I just want it removed. That's why I came here.
- Is it salad dressing?
- I'm sorry, I don't know if it's salad dressing.
- If it didn't go away, then it is. Nothing can remove salad dressing.
- Really? I have had a lot of stains and they've always disappeared after dry cleaning.
- Now you listen to me. I've been in this business for decades. Nothing touches salad dressing. If you don't believe me, you can ask my wife.

The man turns around and calls through the open door behind him. A woman appears.
- This gentleman has salad dressing on his suit and thinks it can be removed.
- Wait a second, I never said that it was...
The woman interrupts me.
- NOTHING touches salad dressing! Give me that suit!
With hesitation I hand her my suit while she picks up a pair of reading glasses from a drawer. I notice that the lenses are really thick. She puts the glasses on and brings the suit to within an inch of her face. Then she tosses it on the counter and leans forward on arms straight and wide apart. She looks me fiercely in the eyes.

- Now that's salad dressing, no doubt in my mind.
- I never said it was salad dressing, I don't know what stain it is.
- Are you questioning my competence?
- Well, I...
- Nothing touches salad dressing! Nothing! Not even pure gasoline.

The woman opens the drawer again and picks up a metal can. With the other hand, she grabs a rag. Then she drips gasoline on my suit and begins rubbing it with the rag.

- Ehhh, please be careful with my suit, I say.
- Do you see what happens? NOTHING! This stain is untouchable. It looks exactly the same. Now THAT'S salad dressing!

At this point I can't think of what to say. I want to protest but don't know where to start. We're all quiet for a while. I look at the man, then at the woman and then at my suit. They both look at me, not at my suit. Their faces are blank. The woman finally breaks the silence:

- A stain. Is that what's wrong with your life? Is that what's important? Or do you have bigger problems than a stain?
- Well, I came here to have that stain removed...
- This isn't a stain! It's a shift. A small color shift. And you're saying THAT'S your big problem? THAT makes you unhappy? Like there is any shortage of misery in this world! But for you, your STAIN is AALL that matters!

Speechless and confused by this unexpected aggression I took my suit from the counter and walked out. A week later I picked it up from another dry cleaning facility. It looked really clean and I couldn't find the position where that stain had been.

---

OK, so what about Entity? The new cases have just arrived! The final assembly will start this evening!

I will post a picture when I have number 001 in my hand.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND STAY TUNED!
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Good news! Can't wait to hear it! That story would have made a perfect Monty Python sketch...
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Thanks for telling that tale, Fredrik!
Indeed you can immediately see a Monty Python sketch unfolding :-P

You must have been baffled at the time but reading this now it's quite hilarious....however I wonder for how long these people remained in business.

It seems inevitable that all my future salad stains will be firmly attached to your story from now on....
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Apparently they gave up dry cleaning and set up as electronics casings subcontractors. Simples!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

That is a most amusing story. It does seem like a good skit but maybe more Mel Brooks than Monty Python. Or maybe like Max the miracle worker. "What! You want we should clean this?" "Well, you are a dry cleaner." "Do you believe everything you read? You think we can get this clean - it would be a miracle!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ftmOI5NnI

Maybe you should email that Dry Cleaners this link:
https://www.thespruce.com/remove-salad- ... ns-1901033

I remove oil stains from shirts all the time with a little Zout and a hot wash, but you couldn't use that for a suit. Glad you found somebody who new how to actually clean things.

And very glad you have the casework and the Entity will finally be an entity! ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

@ThomasOK:
Thx, needed that one today! Princes Bride, fantastic story and great soundtrack :)
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

you made my day

the world is full of people who shouldnt be in the business they are in but the issue is they are. For every customer they loose another new customer comes in - it works longer than some would think.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Thanks for this funny story! It made me laugh! Wish you all luck with Entity
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Entity 001 arrived this evening by courier.

It's now playing Bowie in my living room on Kungsgatan in Uppsala.

I've been waiting for months for this moment. The final circuit board design is entirely new, it's a mix of SINGularity and Slipsik 7 while the prototype was more of a Frankenstein's monster after close to a hundred rebuilds. So I haven't experienced the final product until right now.

More about it tomorrow. I need to dig into my record collection.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Fantastic to hear, I hope all your efforts paid out!
....first impressions after your lengthy night session?
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-12-06 23:21 Entity 001 arrived this evening by courier.

It's now playing Bowie in my living room on Kungsgatan in Uppsala.

I've been waiting for months for this moment. The final circuit board design is entirely new, it's a mix of SINGularity and Slipsik 7 while the prototype was more of a Frankenstein's monster after close to a hundred rebuilds. So I haven't experienced the final product until right now.

More about it tomorrow. I need to dig into my record collection.
Guess you didn’t get any sleep tonight ;)
Looking forward to a demo of the Entity soon!