Possibly time to move on from Akurate 242's but to what?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Possibly time to move on from Akurate 242's but to what?

Post by pidge22 »

If you have a lot of glass and henceforth a fairly live sounding room then I totally understand why you're thinking of changing the speakers.
For what it's worth the famed DJ, musician and record producer Mark Ronson has just purchased a pair of totem acoustic tribe tower loudspeakers. He was so impressed with mine when he came round, he's gone out and bought a pair.
OK the last sentence is a bit of fun but he has bought some.
Its a shame you don't live nearer, I could've fetched mine over.
Thanks for the thought & am very impressed you had Mark Ronson round!
KDSM2,Klimax Solo's/1,Lp12,Keel,Radikal/1,Aro,Kandid,Tron Seven,Akurate 242's
Per A

Post by Per A »

Nine months have passed but reading your post I thought of one thing, did you adjust the volume of your DSM? Because I recently did for my new set up using the analogue outputs of my Akurate DSM. In Konfig you choose volume and I had to subtract -24 dB to get to where loud is 80 on the display. I found it improved things.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Per A wrote: 2019-11-11 20:11 Nine months have passed but reading your post I thought of one thing, did you adjust the volume of your DSM? Because I recently did for my new set up using the analogue outputs of my Akurate DSM. In Konfig you choose volume and I had to subtract -24 dB to get to where loud is 80 on the display. I found it improved things.
Could you explain that please. I thought the max change on volume is +/- 15db (volume offset)
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers+RelT7i
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

I recommend you listen to the the following speakers: Neumann 420, Genelec One series, Kii Three.

Have not heard the Dutch and Dutch 8C, but you might want to audition them too. The 8Cs have been reviewed favorably.

pidge22 wrote: 2019-02-16 20:10 I have now had my Akurate 242's (mk3 with upgraded bases) for almost four years now and wondered what could be a suitable replacement.Power amps are Dynamik Solo's (latest version) & the pre a KDSM Kayalyst.
Have considered Raidho D1.1 & B&W 802 & Kudos Titan 606/707 as well as I just staying with Linn & with Akubarik Passive...

Would appreciate on any feedback on suggested alternatives though needs to be a good improvement on the 242's as I dont want to change for the sake of it..

Would want something that I could buy second hand or x dem etc and budget is max 7k ish....
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

P.S:- Don't overlook DRC. It can be surprisingly effective.
DavidHB

Post by DavidHB »

Zee9 wrote: 2019-11-12 14:59
Per A wrote: 2019-11-11 20:11 Nine months have passed but reading your post I thought of one thing, did you adjust the volume of your DSM? Because I recently did for my new set up using the analogue outputs of my Akurate DSM. In Konfig you choose volume and I had to subtract -24 dB to get to where loud is 80 on the display. I found it improved things.
Could you explain that please. I thought the max change on volume is +/- 15db (volume offset)
I know this is a few days old, but just for information it might be as well to explain that the reference is not to the volume offset.

Older (pre-Katalyst) Akurate DSMs have the option to set an attenuation level in their main analogue outputs. The settings available are 0dB, -12dB (the default) and -24dB. If attenuation is used the volume control (gain) has to be set correspondingly higher for a given level of loudness. The closer the digital volume control is to unity gain (maximum volume), the less the final output is likely to be affected by quantisation issues, which become more evident at lower digital volume settings. So it is unsurprising that Per A found that using the -24dB setting "improved things".

The current ADSM/3 (Katalyst) does not have the analogue attenuation option. The longer word lengths used by the more powerful Katalyst FPGA (processor) greatly reduce the incidence of quantisation effects ("running out of digits"), and effectively resolve the issue upstream of the volume control, which is where and how the underlying problem needed to be fixed.

David
Last edited by DavidHB on 2019-11-18 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

Thanks david.
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers+RelT7i
Per A

Post by Per A »

Yes thank you I could not have explained that.

I recently got a very good pair of passive speakers and I put my 242s up for sale and those who contacted me lost interest when they understood mine were mk 1.
Last week I was setting up the Linns with my Exakrbox again I could not Konfigurate them as usual but had to log into my Linn account, OK but followed was a revelation to me, there were new adjustments for hardness if walls and ceiling and also delay that controls bass energy. Now after some trial and error music is wonderful with 242 that could be a bit sharp and thin in bass with Exakt before, not anymore.