Post by linnlover »

Hi all

My current set up:

ADSM
Akurate Exaktbok
2 x M6100
M140 with upgrade base
M126 with exakt sub module

I have the chance to upgrade to a pair of Akudoriks passive with stands to replace my M140's
Planning a home demo in my living room which is rectangular and roughly 7 mt x 4. Speakers positionen at the edge on the 7 mt side

Has anyone being in my shoes? Opinions?
Thanks!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: M140 to Akudorik upgrade advise

Post by David Neel »

Hmmm.....

I used to have 109s, and my dealer was selling a pair of passive Akubariks. I was very tempted indeed, so I went along to listen, taking my amplifiers with me. They were such an improvement I was mentally writing the cheque after five minutes. So I expect that your demo will be similarly impressive, maybe more so as stand-mounts often have the edge musically.

But - source first! What about your DSM and amplifiers? How much improvement could you find there? In theory, that will be be more beneficial musically.

What other speakers could you consider? 140s and Akubariks are both four-way, which will make any power-amp or exaktbox upgrade expensive. This was irrelevant to me (I'm no longer interested in active or exakt), but not to you. I didn't buy the Akubariks, not because they were five-way, but because I heard something else at half the price which I much preferred. And finally, if you do chose Akudoriks, there are much better stands to be had than the Linn ones.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Your question is a bit broad. Is there anything in particular you’d like to know?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

The Akudoriks will no doubt be a lot better, that much is clear. BUT, if the Exaktbox doesn't yet have Katalyst, that would be my first upgrade. At the moment you have too many channels in your power amps, even changing them for 2 x 4100 would be a nice upgrade. 2 x 4200 even more so.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

The advice about Exaktbox Katalyst and source first is good.

But, if you like the Akudoriks and the price is very good, don't hesitate to buy them with the future upgrade of the Exaktbox in mind. Sometimes following source first is not a practical solution if the right opportunity comes up to get there in a slightly different order :)
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Good point, don't see many Doriks for sale.
linnlover

Post by linnlover »

Yes the exaktbox is katalyst. This is why I believe the upgrade to akudoriks is a logical step
regarding my 6100's
8 channels used for the 140/akudorik
3 for my activ centre speaker for the AV part
1 free
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2019-11-13 13:18 The advice about Exaktbox Katalyst and source first is good.

But, if you like the Akudoriks and the price is very good, don't hesitate to buy them with the future upgrade of the Exaktbox in mind. Sometimes following source first is not a practical solution if the right opportunity comes up to get there in a slightly different order :)
I agree - try them at home and if you like the results buy them and leave other upgrades for later.

As they are being discontinued by Linn - you should get a good price for what is regarded as a very musical speaker.

I did this with demo 242s and never regretted it - as upstream components got better - so did the music.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
linnlover

Post by linnlover »

Thanks
Actually other upgrades that I can think of are very expensive

Akurate DSM to Klimax DSM?
Akurate Exaktbox (10) to 2 Klimax Exaktbox?
2 M6100 to 4200?

the akudoriks are 1 year old at with a good 50+% discount from list price

I'm more and more convinced that is not only a logical step but also a convenient, moneywisw, one.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Since you already have Katalyst in the Exaktbox, I would also be very tempted to get the Akudoriks at that good price. I think they might be even more scarce in the future.
Well, actually you don't need a KDSM. Since you have Exakt, a Klimax System Hub will do, that saves you a nice GBP 6.600,-
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Tendaberry wrote: 2019-11-13 18:37 Since you already have Katalyst in the Exaktbox, I would also be very tempted to get the Akudoriks at that good price. I think they might be even more scarce in the future.
Well, actually you don't need a KDSM. Since you have Exakt, a Klimax System Hub will do, that saves you a nice GBP 6.600,-
Yep, go for it!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote: 2019-11-13 20:00
Tendaberry wrote: 2019-11-13 18:37 Since you already have Katalyst in the Exaktbox, I would also be very tempted to get the Akudoriks at that good price. I think they might be even more scarce in the future.
Yep, go for it!
Yes, it sounds like a sensible step to me, and a way to get a fine product that is going away.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Whilst Klimax Exaktbox/1 is very impressive, I don't think it adds much, if anything, musically, over an Akurate Exaktbox6/1. Comparison with Akurate Exaktbox10/1 will be a slightly larger difference but not huge.
If it were my system I'd consider 4x stereo Tundras (in comparison to alternatives of course) as the next step after Akudoriks :)
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Have nothing bad to say about akudorik, had my pair for 3 years (I think).
If you have the possibility to try them passive, single amp preferably tundra monos;) and compare to exakt you should give that a try!
Øyvind I

Post by Øyvind I »

Friendly warning: it’s going to cost more ;-)
I did a similar swap from AEDSM with Majik Exaktbox I an Majik Isobarik 2 years ago to
Akubarik as it was a great ex- demo deal

First I had to run it with MDSM/2 + M6100. Horrible in comparison with my previous system
The AEDSM Akurate Kat and 2xM6100. Better but still not music like with old system
Then 2xA4200 + M6100 (on super tweeter). Getting there
Swapped order of amps with M6100 now on the bass. A lot better and approaching to be good.
Last: Added Blue Jeans Cables. Nice
Icing of the cake: mate of mine torqued up the front bass drivers - which apparently had never been fastened after transport.

My system now sounds fantastic but Akurate level amps are in my experience needed.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Try them before you buy them - at home with your existing system.

The last thing you want is to buy a great musical speaker ( even at a bargain price) and then find that you are forced to start upgrading expensive items before you are ready.

If funds and time are not an issue - no big deal - but it might be an unpleasant experience if you are pushed into further upgrades without having the time and peace of mind to enjoy this one.

I was advised to upgrade to a Klimax DS/ from Renew DS/0, speaker cables to K400 and interconnects to Silver before getting my 242s., as they are quite demanding of upstream components compared to my Ninkas.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
linnlover

Post by linnlover »

So I have the Akudoriks at home for testing. 
A fast switch of cables, change settings in Konfig and off we go.

I was concerned by the much smaller size compared to my M140's I have to admit that as a matter of fact there is much more clarity in the sound, I guess thanks to the 3k. Bass are balanced and the sub kicks in (more compared to the M140) when needed.

Boy how amazingly well a Linn HiFi plays. 
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Glad u like them!

I found the 140 bass was never quite in sync until I had Tundra 2.5. Maybe aktiv is OK but I'm sure Doriks will not have that issue based on my experience hearing them a couple of times.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Congratulations on your purchase.
You will be enjoying these for quite some time.

Should you consider any further upgrades or system changes after this I'd encourage having a listen to them in their passive configuration with a stereo Tundra 2.5.

Very curious what you'd think of it!
Although I never took the plunge to any Exakt system I was very impressed when I reverted to a passive system - having played with active Linn systems for more than 20 years.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Teemu

Post by Teemu »

What do you think is it worth changing my current configuration (Kdsm/2 Katalyst, Klimax chakra 500 twin(D) and Akurate 242 / mk2) to Katalysted Exakt Akudorik setup?

My Kdsm/2 and Twin would go in exchange these Akudoriks and 242 would sell separately and get that Akurate exakt hub for that money. Do you think this would be an upgrade to the current setup? I know i lose some money, kdsm/2 and twin are little expensive than used Akudoriks but i'm interest to hear yours opinion?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I don't think I would do that. I would either look for some Solos (if you want the family look) or some Tundra Monos.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Depends on what you want to achieve. Do you like the exakt sound?
I’m not a fan of exakt and therefor driving my akudoriks with tundra mono. Only heard the 242’s once and that was a few years back so I can’t compare them with akudoriks.
Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Hard to say when I've never been able to hear an exakt system. I just read the some positive comments, that is why I would like to hear your experiences. With this deal I can't get home testing of Akudoriks, the deals would have to be done blind.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Teemu wrote: 2020-03-26 22:27 What do you think is it worth changing my current configuration (Kdsm/2 Katalyst, Klimax chakra 500 twin(D) and Akurate 242 / mk2) to Katalysted Exakt Akudorik setup?

My Kdsm/2 and Twin would go in exchange these Akudoriks and 242 would sell separately and get that Akurate exakt hub for that money. Do you think this would be an upgrade to the current setup? I know i lose some money, kdsm/2 and twin are little expensive than used Akudoriks but i'm interest to hear yours opinion?

If you want to go down the Akudorik route, I would suggest keeping your KDSM, selling everything else and buy Exakt Akudoriks.

Personally, I would find it an upgrade over what you currently have (I’ve got some lovely piano black 242 mk2 for sale)

People often talk about the “Exakt sound”, but to be honest, I don’t really know what that is! If it’s there, I haven’t heard it. I’ve heard the “System Optimisation sound”, and don’t particularly like it, but thankfully it’s an option and one I choose not to use.

I’ve been looking for the perfect system for the last 40 years, and have finally come to the conclusion that it doesn’t exist! Every system is a compromise, and for me, the Akudoriks are a great compromise. I find them musically coherent, which usually can only be found in small speakers. The problem with most small speakers is that they don’t produce enough low bass, which can limit the types of music they can play well. The Akudoriks don’t have a problem reproducing low bass but there’s no such thing as a free lunch, as they say, and the Akudoriks Achilles heel is the bass isn’t as tight as it could be. It’s certainly not original Isobarik tight, that’s for sure! However, for me, that’s a compromise I can just about put up with. For now 😉
Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Spannko wrote: 2020-03-28 13:59
Teemu wrote: 2020-03-26 22:27 What do you think is it worth changing my current configuration (Kdsm/2 Katalyst, Klimax chakra 500 twin(D) and Akurate 242 / mk2) to Katalysted Exakt Akudorik setup?

If you want to go down the Akudorik route, I would suggest keeping your KDSM, selling everything else and buy Exakt Akudoriks.

Why use expensive kdsm/2 only digital out via exakt links?

Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration when the akurate system hub does the same thing for a fraction of the price of kdsm/2?