A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Debian/MPD: Recent/Latest Versions?

Post by David Neel »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2019-11-01 22:33 David,

I don't have the ideal torque but I have found tightening them with a rubber washer seems to work effectively.
Doesn't it just! That little tip has just made my day.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2019-11-02 15:20
tokenbrit wrote: 2019-11-02 12:33 (along with an upgrade to Buster, apparently)
Don't forget that I had Stretch on a 40GB SSD, and Buster on a 300GB. Back in the LSNAS days, it was said that bigger is better for Intel 320s. That said, I kept back the bigger disks for the NAS and used the 40GB for Hakai, but this 300GB was free at the time to enable quick switching. So I'd be very interested in a second opinion on Buster.
I thought the 300Gb Intel 320s were the recommendation for the LSNAS storage/library disks especially; less so the o/s disk... I seem to recall a Samsung 830 was OK in the LSNAS for the o/s install, unless you planned to use the spare space for music - Intel 320s had to be used for the music files, but not sure that the 40Gb SSD for Stretch would put it at a particular disadvantage, and don't know to what extent the SSD is leveraged in a streamer or is decoding taken care of between CPU cache & RAM, without writting to the swap partition on the SSD?

For what it's worth, I want to say I ended up using an Intel X25-V 40Gb SSD for my Hakai streamer for the Stretch install - can't say for sure as I was building the NAS and a desktop at the same time as the Hakai, which certainly sounds good enough that it'd be hard to imagine it sounding better with an SSD change. or a distribution upgrade to Buster.

Edit: forget that; the 40Gb SSD went in the LSNAS as the o/s disk, along with two Intel 320s for storage, so the 300Gb 320 must be in my Hakai streamer :)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Ten days in and I've had no desire to experiment further (at this stage!). I'm minus my LP12 for a while so the Hakai is in constant use....
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

A few months ago, when I was tearing my hair out at the difficulty of getting my Hakai working as intended, I sold an almost complete (minus DAC) Hakai including an Intel 600GB and a 3050N motherboard. My loss. I've since bought another 3050N motherboard, and it replaced the 3160N in my Hakai today.

I've had my youngest son staying over the holidays. He liked the improvement Entity brings, but was far more interested in Hakai. He's a coder for a network security company, i.e. a serious propeller-head, and (as my laptop is dying) he has encouraged me to abandon Windows completely. So the 3160N motherboard will form the basis of a new Debian/Xfce home computer... and I will learn how to tweak my Hakai from the command line. How's that for a New Year resolution?!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sounds like an excellent resolution!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Has anyone tried MPD 21.20, available via Debian bullseye... ?

Reading back through the thread, the highest version tried was 21.13 with less musical results than 21.5 or 21.11

I recently upgraded my desktop to buster, from stretch, and was thinking about trying the same with Hakai & NAS... Buster version of MPD is 21.5, so I'd have to trust that the dist-upgrade doesn't overwrite my MPD 21.11:
- if the dist-upgrade forces an install of 21.5, I might as well try 21.20, and report back, as I can always revert to 21.5, just not back to 21.11, at least not easily...
- if I still have 21.11 after the upgrade, I'd be reluctant to try another/higher version unless there are positive reviews, as I'd have to revert to 21.5

Any thoughts on MPD 21.20, positive or negative musically against 21.5 or .11? Thanks.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-02-20 17:37 I recently upgraded my desktop to buster, from stretch, and was thinking about trying the same with Hakai...
Done, and still on MPD 21.11 - sounds at least as good.... really just glad it still works :)