Linn unidisk 2.1 tray hard open

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lastsoft

Linn unidisk 2.1 tray hard open

Post by Lastsoft »

Hello,
My linn unidisk 2.1 tray recently developed a problem, when i press the ejact button the tray try’s to open and get stuck, i need to pull the tray out and push it back in.
I open it up and noticed that the laser unit mechanism wont go all the way down.
I dont know if its a sensor, motor or board problem.

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,
Shlomi chen.
Linn kinos/av5103/5125 with aktive keilidh/karik/Sondek LP12/trikan/keilidh/av5110/LK100/isobarik.
Zee9

Re: Linn unidisk 2.1 tray hard open

Post by Zee9 »

I had a similar problem on my unidisc SC and it turned out to be a voltage issue.
When I did manage to find a Linn engineer who was ready to repair it he changed a few things on it but I remember him mentioning that the tray not opening due to a voltage issue.
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

There are a few things that can cause this. It could be voltages as capacitors age and could cause a voltage drop to the important components. I have also seen several cases in Linn disc spinners where the motor that lifts and lowers the transport fails and it can also sometimes be caused by a bad belt. Linn no longer support disc spinners so your best bet is to find a quality technician who is willing to work on it. Some of the parts are still available from Linn but some aren't, so the technician may need to have a working relationship with a Linn dealer.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Lastsoft

Post by Lastsoft »

Hey,
Thanks for you help.
I can see that its not lowering the laser unit all the way down and the tray got stuck on it.
I will try and replacing some caps and see if there is any change.
Will post some photos and let you all know if that worked.
Find a quality tech is no problem, finding one with a linn relation that is an impossible to do.
I do have one that refurbished my av5125 power supply, he is a magician, but a little expensive. The refurb cost me around 100£ to do. Less then a new one( witch is impossible to find) but not as cheap as i hoped...

Best regards.
Shlomi
Linn kinos/av5103/5125 with aktive keilidh/karik/Sondek LP12/trikan/keilidh/av5110/LK100/isobarik.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Actually I would consider a refurb £100 to be quite reasonable. Certainly a lot less that the Linn flat rate fee of $550. I don't think you would get even a simple repair from our local technician for under $125 - $150 and a full refurb would tend to start at $250 and go up depending on what was needed. And he is pretty reasonable compared to many other service places.

You might be able to find a Linn dealer who could get you parts. Linn still has the motor and pulley assembly for most of the disc spinners and the belt for the lift/lower mechanism.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
VicD

Post by VicD »

I have the exact same problem with my 2.1 as well. Had the laser replaced by Linn a few years ago and also added dynamic. Hate to let it go due to SACD/DVD-A. Wonder if anyone knows of a repair center located in the US that would work on these units since Linn no longer will. I have taken it apart and belts seem ok, worked for a bit when I put it back but didn’t last very long...
Lastsoft

Post by Lastsoft »

Hey.
I took it to a repair guy that i know.
He told me that he replaced some caps and transistors.
It work fine now for few months.
The repair cost me around 100usd(cheap fix)
He told me that the laser unit is weak and will be needing replacement soon.
Where do you live in the us?
I used to live in Florida for few years....
Hope it helps....
I know that the reason that the drawer didnt come all the way is becuase the laser unit didnt go all the way down.
VicD

Post by VicD »

Lastsoft wrote: 2020-01-06 10:06 Hey.
I took it to a repair guy that i know.
He told me that he replaced some caps and transistors.
It work fine now for few months.
The repair cost me around 100usd(cheap fix)
He told me that the laser unit is weak and will be needing replacement soon.
Where do you live in the us?
I used to live in Florida for few years....
Hope it helps....
I know that the reason that the drawer didnt come all the way is becuase the laser unit didnt go all the way down.
That seems to be my issue as well. I can hear it hit when the tray tries to open. I live in NY and do travel to Florida quite a bit. Wanted to keep the unit if it could be fixed for a reasonable cost. I may try to open it again and watch the tray as it opens to refresh my memory of what actually happens...Thanks!