Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Optimum ripping solutions

Post by David Neel »

Uncompressed.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

A quick postscript with my ripping completed - I had fewer CDs than I thought.

The improvement in ripping quality has made it much clearer that after reconfiguring the LSNAS back to a dedicated server, Debian 9 is an improvement on Windows 7 or 10. Likewise the LSNAS outperforms a HakaiNAS, both running Debian 9. I'd come to these conclusions previously; retesting with better rips just makes the gap bigger.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Thanks for sharing. Just curious, do you rip from iTunes on IOS, or on Windows? Also, what version of iTunes are you using? I'd have to check which version I went with, but I know it was an older one because I was still running XP on the desktop used for ripping... I then built a new desktop at the same time as my NAS and Hakai, but installed Debian 9/Stretch on all three so no new(er) version of iTunes here.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Current (whatever was the available download a few weeks ago) version of iTunes under Windows 10. When ripping was finished, I removed the Win 10 SSD, installed the Debian 9 SSD, and disconnected the optical drive. So a switch between ripper and server takes less than five minutes including the fiddling with case screws and cables.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Elegant way of doing it.
I have a Win7 license & spare SSD I might be able to reuse to convert the desktop, or NAS, into a ripping station as & when. I guess NAS would be better as Microsoft significantly curtailed support for NFS, so I'd have to find another way to transfer rips between boxes...
Did you compare Win7 vs Win10, or did you choose Win10 as it's latest (greatest?) similar to iTunes?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Didn't compare Win 7 & 10. I seem to remember someone reporting that Win 10 was an improvement, and my Win 7 installation was old and cranky.... so rather than reinstall the old one (when I couldn't find the licence key) I coughed up for Win 10.

And I didn't compare with XP either... when you're obsessing about cables, there's not enough time for everything!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2019-08-18 20:53 Didn't compare Win 7 & 10. I seem to remember someone reporting that Win 10 was an improvement, and my Win 7 installation was old and cranky.... so rather than reinstall the old one (when I couldn't find the licence key) I coughed up for Win 10.

And I didn't compare with XP either... when you're obsessing about cables, there's not enough time for everything!
Understood, and quite! :) Appreciated, cheers.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I thought of another question... (apologies if it has already been asked/answered)
What do you do for your library drive file formatting: is it/are they NTFS (for Win) or Ext4 (for Debian), and do you use a Linux tool such as ntfs-3g to read/copy from NTFS, or did you find a reliable tool to write from Win10 straight to Ext4?
I guess that's two questions, or a two-part question, at least... Thanks in advance.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

The music storage SSD was formatted to NTFS (IIRC) and I haven't changed that. Works okay with Debian....
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Makes sense... Better to trust Debian with NTFS than Windows with Ext4. (no more questions ;) Cheers.
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

I use dbPoweramp for my cd rips to lossless flac files but a friend of mine asked what my ripping settings were and mentioned certain details could really affect the quality of the rips. I can’t remember the technical words he used but maybe someone over here can suggest the best settings for ripping via dbPoweramp
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I find dBpoweramp is great.
I set mine to Flac "lossless uncompressed".
I always rip to a hard disk in my computer for ease and speed of writing - this I use as primary store of my music.
I then tidy up any metadata using Tag Editor (on my Mac) Mp3tag is good for windows.
I then transfer the file(s) to my NAS.
I use Mac routines for incremental file movement (or modification) from my Mac disk to the NAS
using Mac's Automator, "Run Shell Script" with a command line looking something like
rsync -av --progress "/MAIN/" "/Volumes/My NASx/MAIN"

This routine is a must if you are a Mac owner. Very fast and powerful, saves money on backup software. Can be set up to start by just clicking an icon.

More here https://www.haykranen.nl/2008/05/05/rsync/

Donuk beautiful downtown York