Administrator
Administrator

Cables

Post by lejonklou »

In this thread we discuss musical differences between the cables used in HAKAI:
SATA cable to SSD,
USB cable to DAC,
Ethernet cables between HAKAI, switch and NAS,
and other cables that are potentially used.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Cables

Post by Lego »

Got the supra USB cable yesterday and initial impressions are that solos and lead instruments especially guitar solos sound more important and engaging. The one criticism I had with the Hakai was that lyrics were not as intelligible as I would have liked/expected. Now they are very much so, with more emotion in vocals.
Not quite Frank Sinatra intelligibility, but getting there, I'm expecting more with burn-in as it doesn't seem to sound as exciting as with the stock cable, less of an edge I'd say.
Sound wise I'd say vocals are less thin and less of a general glare, if you know what I mean.
Last edited by Lego on 2021-12-11 01:54, edited 2 times in total.
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Has anyone tried the 0.5m or 0.7m lengths of the "Deltaco Serial ATA-600 (SATA 6g) kabel", against the 0.3m?

Thanks to Manfred, I have a supply of the recommended 0.3m Deltacos, but the position of the SATA connectors on the m'board, and the SSD slots in the case (for a NAS) mean that the SATA cables are a little on the short side - the 0.5m cables would be a more comfortable fit.
Also, if using a separate SSD for the NAS operating system, does the cable for this disk need to be a Deltaco too, or can it be any SATA cable? A 0.3m Deltaco definitely won't stretch to the 3rd disk bay/slot...

Will I lose much with the longer Deltacos? If all SATA cables in the NAS need to be the recommended type of Deltaco, then I may need at least one (or three) 0.5m cables or, possibly, 2 x 0.5m + 1 x 0.7m, unless the longer cables lose a noticeable amount of musicality compared with the shorter Deltaco.
teatime

Post by teatime »

lejonklou wrote: 2018-08-11 20:15
USB cable to DAC:

Supra USB A - USB Mini-B, 1 m USB cable
Thats this one, right? That's the only Supra cable I can find that fits the description.

I have now tried two of them between the Tinker Board and the Gigaport. (And, to test, between my PC and an old GPS I had lying around - not too many things these days use mini-B.) Neither of them work. At all. The DAC doesn't even light up.

Have I really managed to find two completely defective USB cables (that would make them my first two, ever), or is there something going on here that I don't understand? As far as I can tell, you can not claim to be a USB cable without supporting power transfer.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Looks like the right one. Very strange that it doesn't work, I don't understand why.

I can test them for you on one of my streamers, if you want. But as you've already tested them between several products, perhaps there's no point?
teatime

Post by teatime »

Thanks, but I doubt there is any point. I just got the seller to accept return.

It's just so very strange. Supra claim to solder and test them by hand. So how could two be non-functional? And yet they are. Tried the DAC on two PC (one running Linux, one Windows) + the Tinker Board. And the GPS on both PCs. Nope.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Have I really managed to find two completely defective USB cables (that would make them my first two, ever), or is there something going on here that I don't understand? As far as I can tell, you can not claim to be a USB cable without supporting power transfer.
What are you using to power the Tinker Board S? I tried a few standard microUSB power adaptors before buying one recommended in a Tinker Board forum. Prior to buying that I had problems with the Tinker Board occasionally powering off and on. I suspect your Tinker Board S may not be getting enough power.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
teatime

Post by teatime »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2019-07-18 14:07
What are you using to power the Tinker Board S? I tried a few standard microUSB power adaptors before buying one recommended in a Tinker Board forum. Prior to buying that I had problems with the Tinker Board occasionally powering off and on. I suspect your Tinker Board S may not be getting enough power.
Well.. since only one of my five failing test cases for the USB cable even involve the Tinker Board, it's hardly relevant, but I'm using the official Asus "TInker Board Power Supply".
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

teatime wrote:
USB cable to DAC:
Supra USB A - USB Mini-B, 1 m USB cable
I have now tried two of them between the Tinker Board and the Gigaport... Neither of them work. At all. The DAC doesn't even light up.
You don't mention it, but have you had success between Tinker Board and Gigaport, or other device, with another USB cable such as the one that comes with the DAC?
I know that it's a bit of a press to get the cable to snap in - is it possible that you're not getting the Supra(s) to snap fully home?
teatime

Post by teatime »

tokenbrit wrote: 2019-07-18 15:06 have you had success between Tinker Board and Gigaport, or other device, with another USB cable such as the one that comes with the DAC?
Yeah, no problems with that one, or two other old cables of unknown origin I found lying around. All work fine with both DAC and GPS(the only other mini-B device I could find). The two Supras do not.

Linux kernel log from attaching GPS with "other" cable:
[325563.526959] usb 1-12: new full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[325563.871341] usb 1-12: New USB device found, idVendor=1b1c, idProduct=1c05
[325563.871344] usb 1-12: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[325563.871345] usb 1-12: Product:
[325563.871347] usb 1-12: Manufacturer:
[325563.882518] hid-generic 0003:1B1C:1C05.0013: hiddev96,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Device [

And with the Supra cable:
[325526.418613] usb usb2-port8: over-current condition
[325526.586615] usb usb1-port8: over-current condition
[325526.802613] usb usb1-port9: over-current condition
[325527.018619] usb usb1-port10: over-current condition
[325527.238621] usb usb1-port11: over-current condition
[325527.454720] usb usb1-port12: over-current condition
[325527.454726] usb 1-12: USB disconnect, device number 2
[325527.814626] usb usb1-port13: over-current condition
[325528.030624] usb usb1-port14: over-current condition

Could it be a short? (In two cables??)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

teatime wrote: 2019-07-18 15:31 Could it be a short? (In two cables??)
Bad batch? Can't see how they'd pass a basic quality test... but also can't come up with another plausible conclusion if there's no combo in which the Supra cables work, yet other cables work fine in the same scenario(s) :/ Have you tried Supra directly for support?
teatime

Post by teatime »

tokenbrit wrote: 2019-07-18 16:08 Bad batch? Can't see how they'd pass a basic quality test... but also can't come up with another plausible conclusion if there's no combo in which the Supra cables work, yet other cables work fine in the same scenario(s) :/
My thoughts in a nutshell!
tokenbrit wrote: 2019-07-18 16:08 Have you tried Supra directly for support?
I considered it, but I think I should let the seller deal with that. They want the cables back to credit me, and I don't want to delay that by starting some sort of support case with Supra too.

Thanks for the feedback, though. Pity we will probably never learn what the problem is...
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

When I next boot up the Asus Tinker Board S I'll try it with my Supra cable and report back.
teatime

Post by teatime »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2019-07-18 19:36 When I next boot up the Asus Tinker Board S I'll try it with my Supra cable and report back.
Thanks, that would be interesting to know.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

I have been using the supra USB-cable with the ESI and TBs without any issue.
The TB is really power hungry and will not work with less then 5V 3A with something that draws power from the usb.

Edit: missed a “will not” :P
Last edited by maffe on 2019-07-18 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

The TB is really power hungry
That was my impression too after trying a few different microUSB power supplies. The one that worked best was £1.99 from eBay.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Is the proposal then that it may be the power supply and TB can't provide the current demanded by the Gigaport DAC via the Supra cable(s) rather than a short? Why then would other cables work in the same scenario for teatime, if I understood his tests & findings? The cables seem to be the only variable... Would be odd if their resistance characteristics changed the current demand that much I'd have thought, and could be an issue in itself.
(just interested speculation on my part since I'm yet to get a Supra cable for my Hakai)
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

All i can say is that the TB S works for me with the Supra and the supplied USB to the esi using a 5V3A ps an when I by mistake used the 5V 2.5A from the RPI it did not work that well. Have not investigated it further then that.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

This can't be related to the power supply. The only sensible explanation is that both cables are faulty.
teatime

Post by teatime »

The conclusion to my Supra USB cable drama (see above)...

Of course I never got any technical feedback from the firm I got the cable (and the replacement) from. They just, finally, accepted the return and I got my money back.

Fast forward a month, and I happened upon the same cable at a different online shop, and it was offered at a good (lower) price. Ok, so the first shop probably had a bad batch, right? I took a chance, and bought it again, from this second store.

Got the cable, and... It. Does. Not. Work.

I ignored the whole thing for a few days, because I was so annoyed with it (and feeling stupid over having taken a second chance (why not, it seems to work for everyone else!?), only to have to go through the whole RMA dance a second time).

Eventually I reported it, only to have the shop quickly respond that it had reported it to the manufacturer, and they (Jenvig/Supra) would send me a replacement directly.

It arrived today. And it works.

Fourth time lucky. :)
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Interesting review of Supra Ethernet Cable:

https://audiobacon.net/2017/05/31/supra ... erience/3/
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-03 02:39 Interesting review of Supra Ethernet Cable:

I've seen them... reasonably priced (at least 'round here) and (unsurprisingly) available from the same place that sells the Supra USB cables. I guues it's not too far fetched that Supra could put together a good ethernet cable if they can make a good USB cable.

It's on my shortlist as the digital setup at present largely comprises no-name cables.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-05 12:56
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-03 02:39 Interesting review of Supra Ethernet Cable:

I've seen them... reasonably priced (at least 'round here) and (unsurprisingly) available from the same place that sells the Supra USB cables. I guues it's not too far fetched that Supra could put together a good ethernet cable if they can make a good USB cable.

It's on my shortlist as the digital setup at present largely comprises no-name cables.
It would be great to see a comparison of these with the blue jeans cables.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

OscarH wrote: 2020-03-05 12:56 I guues it's not too far fetched that Supra could put together a good ethernet cable if they can make a good USB cable.
Yes it is!

Every result depends on what you're trying to accomplish and the method used for evaluating whether you're moving in the right direction.

This is not specifically about Supra, a company that has made hundreds of different cables with a musical performance all over the spectrum, but applies to nearly every HiFi company out there.

HiFi is not like other trades. If your local baker makes delicious cinnamon buns, chances are good they make tasty cookies as well.
Not in HiFi! With a few notable exceptions, HiFi companies are run by people who don't know what they're aiming for. And therefore most great products are a lucky coincidence, usually followed by twenty disappointments.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I'm a fan of cinnamon buns, had great ones in Malmö and Copenhagen.

Lots of conjecture on Supra ethernet cables here:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1324 ... et-cables/

I just bought five brands of CAT8 cable from Aliexpress for £15. Suck it and see policy.