Latest records to enter your collection

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Latest records to enter your collection

Post by beck »

I hope people will share their latest buys in this tread.

Bought for £2 a piece in great (some unused) shape here are some of my latest:

Link removed. A lot of second hand records
Last edited by beck on 2020-02-02 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Latest records to enter your collection

Post by maffe »

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures, 40th anniversary reissue. Sits nice next to the 1979 press :)
IF i only had a my Radikal back...
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

maffe wrote: 2019-07-13 17:42 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures, 40th anniversary reissue. Sits nice next to the 1979 press :)
I was going to ask how the two compare!....?...... 🤪🤪🤪🤪
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

beck wrote: 2019-07-13 18:47
maffe wrote: 2019-07-13 17:42 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures, 40th anniversary reissue. Sits nice next to the 1979 press :)
I was going to ask how the two compare!....?...... 🤪🤪🤪🤪
One have a black cover with white pattern on, the other have a white cover with a black pattern on it 🤡
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

rodrigo y gabriela "Mettavolution". Their new studio album, first in 5 years. Just came in yesterday and I didn't take home as it would have had to sit in a hot car for a few hours so I haven't listened to it yet.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote: 2019-07-13 21:01 rodrigo y gabriela "Mettavolution". Their new studio album, first in 5 years. Just came in yesterday and I didn't take home as it would have had to sit in a hot car for a few hours so I haven't listened to it yet.
Found the album on youtube. Never heard them before. Guitar music on fire! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

My sister gave me her old vinyl collection this weekend.. I haven't brought them all home yet, but I did bring David Bowie's Pinups, Ozzy Ozbourne's Diary of a Madman + Speak of the Devil, Peter Gabriel's first and some others. None of which I owned before.

Thank you Sister!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

+1 It's a nice pressing. I don't own it on vinyl so can't compare but sense it's a digitised version - still sound pretty good though.

Really like the new Springsteen album.

Also been enjoying Sting's debut too, which I used to own on tape. It's better than I remembered.

Got a US pressing of Hot Buttered Soul too. Nice.

And how could I forget Mr Manilow's 70s Best Of.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-07-13 23:00 Peter Gabriel's first
Never bore of Here Comes the Flood. Some of that album has dated a bit though, especially the heavy production.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

A surprise to me is that my newly bought Chris De Burgh!!! (The very best of) “Spark to a Flame” record awakes my teen spirit once again even though the production is very late eighties digital. I simply remember my days of recording onto cassette from the radio.

Even his sometimes slightly too high singing pitch makes me smile. No autotune here! :-)

Does anyone remember “Don’t Pay the Ferryman”, “The Lady in Red” or “High on Emotion”! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote: 2019-07-14 00:02
lejonklou wrote: 2019-07-13 23:00 Peter Gabriel's first
Never bore of Here Comes the Flood. Some of that album has dated a bit though, especially the heavy production.
This is one of my favorite things about listening to records. It is like traveling in time listening to the different sound productions.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

beck wrote: 2019-07-14 20:43 A surprise to me is that my newly bought Chris De Burgh!!! (The very best of) “Spark to a Flame” record awakes my teen spirit once again even though the production is very late eighties digital. I simply remember my days of recording onto cassette from the radio.

Even his sometimes slightly too high singing pitch makes me smile. No autotune here! :-)

Does anyone remember “Don’t Pay the Ferryman”, “The Lady in Red” or “High on Emotion”! :-)
Nice to hear you're enjoying your recent purchases. My wife likes De Burgh. Never been much of a fan but I only know the hits.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

I'm a sucker for a used record bin.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

There are 4 records I do not recognise in your picture.

Top left record?

Second row from the top: the two records to the right?

The record second row from the bottom to the left?
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

beck, I see 3 x Windham Hill Records Samplers: '82, '84, & '88 [top left; second row down right; second row up left, respectively]

Don't know about the GAS ;) Otherwise, that's a nice haul :)
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

I see a copy of Solitude Standing By Suzanne Vega there in the pile. I played this album the other night the whole time thinking wow this slipsik 7 is revealing a lot more of this recording than I remember. Mine is a USA copy precision stamped DMM copy and could be the best sounding DMM album I have ever heard. Some DMM records sometimes have a slight edge to the higher frequencies IMHO. When you hold this copy up to light I find that mine is pressed on audiophile Quiex type translucent vinyl although this is not a promo copy just normal stock. Fantastic album and keeps getting better... Nice haul:)
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

I also found a copy of that Suzanne Vega record 4 weeks ago :)
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Gold, silver, and bronze stars to tokenbrit! Wyndham Hill was a studio that produced mainly what Fredrik would call "audiophile recordings." They put more emphasis on the sound and the recording process than they did the content. Case in point: the Sampler '82 was a compilation of some of the first albums recorded using Sony's PCM-1600 - the first "Red Book" studio digital recorder and the physical embodiment of our first step down the digital rabbit hole. Vile, hateful thing. I'm sure that without hearing the record you can fully appreciate the soulless, lifeless, yet pristine sound that was Wyndham Hill's signature (for further exploration of soulless, lifeless, pristine early digital sound see the collected works of Dave Grusin on GRP Records).

But there are some hidden gems among the dreck. I remember as a little kid one of these three albums was in semi-regular rotation in several family members' music systems (and they are all decidedly NOT audiophiles!). It was the sort of background music that embodied the typical rainy Seattle Sunday afternoon, coffee, and newspaper sort of situation. When I came across these records in the bin I was reminded of those moments from my childhood but I couldn't remember the music. I had to hear it, but I couldn't remember which album it was (they all pretty much look alike) so I bought all 3 for $3.

The remaining mystery record is a collaboration between guitarist Mason Williams and Mannheim Steamroller called Classical Gas. This is another exploration of my childhood that I had to have not so much for the music (very hit-and-miss, although I am a fan of Chip Davis) but for its time machine properties.

I spent a few minutes plugging catalog numbers into discogs (what an amazing - and dangerous - tool this has become!) and discovered that almost all these records are European first pressings! Most are German, some are U.K. (as evidenced by the "85p off" sticker on the Jarre album in the bottom left corner), and all of them are VG++ or NM condition. Someone lovingly cared for these records and cherished them enough to haul them halfway across the world, only to let them go for a buck a piece years later. And so goes the circle of life. They will live on transporting a sentimental fool to another time and place, stirring up memories thought forever lost.

This. This is why I love music.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Today when waiting for my wife, going to the pub for a beer and a veggie burger, I just happened to walk pass “Bengans” record store. Walked out with two E.S.T records, “Live in London” and “From Gagarin’s Point of View”. And no Radikal for another 2 weeks...
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

maffe wrote: 2019-07-29 19:42 Today when waiting for my wife, going to the pub for a beer and a veggie burger, I just happened to walk pass “Bengans” record store. Walked out with two E.S.T records, “Live in London” and “From Gagarin’s Point of View”. And no Radikal for another 2 weeks...
You should ask for a “borrow” Sondek. Your could pay a minor fee depending on the number of records you play during use!
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

beck wrote: 2019-07-29 20:22
maffe wrote: 2019-07-29 19:42 Today when waiting for my wife, going to the pub for a beer and a veggie burger, I just happened to walk pass “Bengans” record store. Walked out with two E.S.T records, “Live in London” and “From Gagarin’s Point of View”. And no Radikal for another 2 weeks...
You should ask for a “borrow” Sondek. Your could pay a minor fee depending on the number of records you play during use!
Vacation time here in Sweden and I actually can wait :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

beck wrote: 2019-07-13 21:37
ThomasOK wrote: 2019-07-13 21:01 rodrigo y gabriela "Mettavolution". Their new studio album, first in 5 years. Just came in yesterday and I didn't take home as it would have had to sit in a hot car for a few hours so I haven't listened to it yet.
Found the album on youtube. Never heard them before. Guitar music on fire! :-)
Meant to reply to this earlier. Yes, they are quite the guitarists. Some fans aren't happy with the new album as it has more instruments and a more produced sound but I still like it (although my copy is quite noisy so I will have to get it exchanged). If you like them you really need to get the second studio album simply titled rodrigo y gabriela and with a lizard eye as the cover. There is an amazing amount of really good music on the album and it is all made with two guitars (I believe without overdubbing) except one track with a guest violinist. Even the percussion is played on the guitar body (OK, there is probably some foot stamping as well). Mostly original music but also features the forbidden for guitarists "Stairway to Heaven" in a fresh, fast and beautiful interpretation. Great on vinyl.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Thank you Thomas.

From the recommended album and to those who like me did not know them maybe we did know the music!

:-)

https://youtu.be/-19d_T472co

Diablo Rojo:

https://youtu.be/0bLEzeW5CJQ
Playing cd’s…………
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Got a bunch of Kiss records yesterday and today when waiting for the radical to be reinstalled I did the waiting at Bengals Record store.
Came out with Swans, Snoop, Bills Eilish and pink floyd.

Now music time!
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

This is a nice tread, deserves a resurrection.

Picked up a some dirt cheap but excellent copies of The Clash’s ‘London Calling’ and Elvis Costello’s ‘My Aim is True’ the other day. Covers look like shit but the vinyl is VG+.

Only had them on CD before... they’re (even) better albums now.