Iinn Ekos II vertical bearing adjustment

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ROBIZ

Iinn Ekos II vertical bearing adjustment

Post by ROBIZ »

Hi
I've got a Linn Ekos II . I checked the bearing about 5 years ago and they worked fine . Few days ago I checked the vertical bearing again and I found them out of adjustment . I've just adjusted them again and now they work fine again . In no way I've forced the bearing , so I wonder if temperature or dial springs assembly for some reason could be ended out of adjustment . It could be that five years ago the vertical bearing were not adjusted properly yet they worked fine beacuse I cannnot stand my Linn Lp 12 if not set up properly . Did anyone experience the same bearing problem ?
I'm sorry for my little english
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Iinn Ekos II vertical bearing adjustment

Post by bonzo »

May I ask how you checked the vertical bearing as well as found it needing adjustment?
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
ROBIZ

Post by ROBIZ »

Ths for your kind answer. That's a bit long story ...but O.k . I purchased my Ekos in Late 90- after owning linn Ittok VII/2 and an AKITO II. The Akito II and Ittok VII worked really fine . They were great Tonearms with a different attitude in presenting music. Then I purchased LINN EKOS . The First one was replaced under warranty, because Linn found the headshell was badly assemled. The next new one indeed didn't sound not well , not too bad but not as good as my Linn Akito.
. It was checked again by Linn and they said that it was within tolerances . But My Ekos failed the test of the 1 cm square paper .As I watched to the bearing test on "YOU TUBE " I decided to adjust the bearing by turning the lateral bottom screw opposite the dial spring ( sorry for my little english ) -
Indeed I recall I paid much attention in doing that because , small increment in adjusting that screw make great difference expecially in mixed chorus .
.Then when the paper test was ended I started extensives listening test . When I test analogue equipment I play at least the following records : 1 (1 Liszt - brendel piano - Phillips 420 - 010 - great soundstage - 2 Varese - Robert Craft - 13 percussion instruments - huge DYNAMICS - cbs 60286 MADE IN HOLLAND 3- jOSQUIN DES PREZ - Motten Ensemble Pro Cantique Antique - mixed Chorus recorded in a church Harmonia Mundi Italian - 73065 4- Bartok Sonatas and rhapsodies for violin and piano GYORGY PAUK . HUNGAROTON 12318 - great soundstage and timbre -5 ) Opus record test 1 ) When I ended my listening test all the records played nice .
Two weeks ago after 5 years since I made my bearing adjustment , my Linn didn 't sound as good as I know but the Turntable set up was O.K. but The Ekos bearing seem to be not as free in the vertical axis as in the past .

That Time I adjusted the vertical bearing as the Linn Akito test you can find on YOU Tube , I mean that the tonearm deflect about 2 cm before coming to the rest position . Now I find that bearing test with the akito is better than the bearing test with the Ekos on you tube .
Again I repeated the listening test with same records and indeed the Ekos plays better than the first time and it is much better than my previous linn tonearm . But indeed why does after many years
I have to readjust what proved to play well many years ago ? I have to say that even if the readjustment was made within less than 1/16 I find that considerable amount of adjustment .
Now the EKos has such a great amount of details that I cannot guess how much the Ekos se could be .
jewa

Post by jewa »

A service of the ekos 2 doesn't cost very much, I would have send it in for adjustment, after all it has been around for some good years.
ROBIZ

Post by ROBIZ »

I'm sorry to say that in Italy 15 years ago was not possible . Probably now things has changed and the Linn assistence now work well.
Indeed I doubt that the tonearm was within tolerances if it failed the paper test . I've got many tonearms of other manufacter and I'd say that expecially when you buy a preowned tonearm three out of four have several trouble.But My tonearm was bought new . From my experience expecially with balanced tonearm vertical bearing adjustment are tricky . Other than that with some balanced tonearm a slight friction is not so dangerous yet same things can be said for the EKOS.
On " you tube " it seems that the bearing test on the Ekos isn't as good as the akito or as the Linn Ittok. Good news, my Linn Ekos II is a great tonearm . It would be possible that five years I didn't adjust properly the bearing .
ROBIZ

Post by ROBIZ »

Sorry for the mistake I mean same things cannot be said for the Ekos .