SINGularity

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: SINGularity

Post by ThomasOK »

Now that SINGularity 003 and 004 have come home with me I thought I'd post a clip of the system at home. The system isn't even warmed up having only been played for one side before I made this clip, still it is sounding quite good in my estimation. This was one of the most popular pieces of music at the show, being from the album referred to by John Atkinson in his Stereophile post on our room. The subwoofer is not connected so this is the same system as used at the show except that the system is running at 240 Volts, not including the Quads which are on 120 Volts (and for which it makes no difference).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e43yzggrvtapw ... M.mov?dl=0
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Stunning! And not even warmed up. Is constant power on recommended for Lejonklou equipment ?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sounds great, Thomas!

And just when the song is about to burst into the first solo, the clip ends. How annoying!
Ianw wrote: 2019-04-23 21:19 Stunning! And not even warmed up. Is constant power on recommended for Lejonklou equipment ?
Many have them powered on constantly. I shut things down if I'm away for a couple of days or more. It takes about an hour for most units to warm up and one more for everything to reach 100%.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Sounds great, but I'm afraid what my cat would do to those speakers (and vice versa), if I decided to change...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tendaberry wrote: 2019-04-24 11:36 Sounds great, but I'm afraid what my cat would do to those speakers (and vice versa), if I decided to change...
The grilles are of metal.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

ThomasOK wrote: 2019-04-23 19:20 Now that SINGularity 003 and 004 have come home with me I thought I'd post a clip of the system at home. The system isn't even warmed up having only been played for one side before I made this clip, still it is sounding quite good in my estimation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e43yzggrvtapw ... M.mov?dl=0
Quite good ?

Sounds absolutely fantastic and in real life must be amazing.

I thought I was getting there with my LP12 / Slipsik 6.1 but the goalpost has just moved, and not by a small amount.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-04-24 11:44
Tendaberry wrote: 2019-04-24 11:36 Sounds great, but I'm afraid what my cat would do to those speakers (and vice versa), if I decided to change...
The grilles are of metal.
I would not feel that secure of "Kaos" not making chaos with a esl57...
Used to have Magnepans and that was not good combo with cats, but on the other hand they did not have metal grilles.

Anyone with cat/esl experience here?

@ThomasOK: Plays fantastic and looks stunning :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Spent all day with star photographer Peter Rutherhagen going through the photos of SINGularity taken before number 3 and 4 were transported to Axpona and Thomas O'Keefe.

Next week they'll be ready. Inside, outside, front, back, side and angled. Stay tuned!

Changed the lock screen of my phone today.

kampak

Post by kampak »

Very nice!
But it’s so easy to cut the bottom and left of the pic direct on the phone to get the Singularity to the mid and deeper ...
imho it’s worth it 🙄
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

kampak wrote: 2019-04-27 07:09 Very nice!
But it’s so easy to cut the bottom and left of the pic direct on the phone to get the Singularity to the mid and deeper ...
imho it’s worth it 🙄
One can, but I don't like it that way.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Cool - I like it. Proud parent phone photo :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Webpage is up!

Text is preliminary but photos are final.
Manuals and polishing instruction video coming soon.

https://www.lejonklou.com/products/singularity/
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Wonderful photos! Glad to see the info up. I like the short and simple explanation of the design that still gives an understanding of the scope and precision of the project. Well done.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
grey17

Post by grey17 »

Fredrik,

I am sure those copper boxes are a pretty penny and contribute to the cost of the Singularity. Have you considered testing how the Slipsik 7 circuitry sounds within a copper case?
LP12/Karousel . Kore . Lingo 4 . Akito . Adikt . Slipsik 6
Accuphase E270 . ProAc D15 . REL 205
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Very nice. I like pic 3 most.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Think you have to lable that link “NSFW” that’s just pure sex!
Lovely photos of a fantastic design, well done!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you!

Charlie: In picture 3, I was holding a big white board to reflect the sunlight pouring in through white curtains against the fronts. The day was sunny so we used no artificial light when taking the photographs.

It should be noted that these pictures were taken less than a week after the cases being blasted with glass beads. A week later they were noticeably darker. Copper oxidizes fast! And to those who ask why I don't lacquer them, the answer is that 1) I tried it and it looks OK from a long distance, but up close it's really ugly, like cheap plastic, and 2) if you get just a light scuff or dent somewhere on the case, it will start to corrode there and there's no way you can remove that slowly growing dark stain. Pure copper, om the other hand, can grow dark or be polished.

The pictures on the website are in 4K HD resolution (3840*2160) and look sharpest when viewed in that resolution.
grey17 wrote: 2019-05-03 16:47Have you considered testing how the Slipsik 7 circuitry sounds within a copper case?
Yes, I've thought about it! Much smaller piece of copper, so far from as expensive. Perhaps worth a try? I have no idea how much better Slipsik 7 would sound on such a base plate. Worth the extra cost? I might have to try it one day.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Here's an interesting test I recently ran:

The Radikal motor controller unit for the LP12 can power both the motor and Linn's MC stage Urika. So, when using a Radikal to drive the motor of your LP12 but not having a Urika installed, does the Radikal "motor part" perform better or worse when it doesn't have to power a Urika?

We made some brief tests of this in the past, and at first I was under the impression that something improved when adding a Urika as "dummy load" - just standing on a shelf by itself, being powered up by the Radikal but otherwise not connected to the LP12 or the system. But I was wrong.

Now I have tested on my LP12, using both SINGularity MC preamps and a less expensive prototype, with a customer's Urika as a dummy load. When Radikal powers the Urika, the sound gets heavier, fatter, a bit sluggish and looses finesse. Without Urika connected, the music was more agile and free - and easier to understand and connect with.

Next test was a dummy load that I built into an XLR plug, with 5 switchable levels of current being drawn from the Radikal. These currents were all far smaller than what a Urika likely requires (6, 12, 18, 24 and 30 mA) and it also sounded that way: With the dummy load plugged into the Radikal (into the Urika power output), the music was again more fat and sluggish. The less current drawn by the dummy load, the better. And best was to remove it altogether.

Conclusion: Your Radikal unit performs best when only powering the motor.
Ianw

Post by Ianw »

Very interesting. So any views on running 2 Radikal PS, one Radikal dedicated, the other Urika dedicated?

Ian
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ianw wrote: 2019-06-23 23:10 Very interesting. So any views on running 2 Radikal PS, one Radikal dedicated, the other Urika dedicated?
I'm certain it's better. But then there are even better options! :)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Yes - all of which involve staying clear of Urika and avoiding both the potential of the Trampolin foot touching the Radikal motor and now the issue of it adversely affecting the power supply to the Turntable.

Good time to be developing MC phonostages for LP 12s.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

A couple of guys on the Naim forum tried two Radikals about 10 years ago. Both of them preferred a single Radikal much to their surprise. Long time ago now but I think they found 2 Radikals more HiFi but less enjoyable.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote: 2019-06-24 10:13 A couple of guys on the Naim forum tried two Radikals about 10 years ago. Both of them preferred a single Radikal much to their surprise. Long time ago now but I think they found 2 Radikals more HiFi but less enjoyable.
Using two Radikals is a bit different than my test, but I'm still certain it's better.

Why? Because the Radikal driving the motor performs better (which is what I tested), so even if the Radikal powering the Urika performs worse (than it does when powering both motor and Urika) the net result is better, because the motor is higher in the hierarchy than the Urika.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-06-24 10:21 Why? Because the Radikal driving the motor performs better (which is what I tested), so even if the Radikal powering the Urika performs worse (than it does when powering both motor and Urika) the net result is better, because the motor is higher in the hierarchy than the Urika.
Makes sense.

I noted a few weeks ago Thomas said he had a Urika plugged into the Radikal (just to present a load) so thanks for letting us know the revised thinking.