Majik 109 Modification

Hardware and software, modifications and DIY

Moderator: Staff

Ferdydurke

Re: Majik 109 Modification

Post by Ferdydurke »

and I have not liked the softer things like sorbothane
That matches my impressions. With spikes on a heavy sideboard (when it's impossible, to place them on stands...) these little speakers do a big leap forward. By the way, I had best results using "Soundcare Superspikes" from Norway, the most easy to use spikes, you can think of; they are so simple, so unimpressively plain and unpretensiously built, child-safe and, yes, cheap, that they probably fly beneath the radar of high brow audiophiles... ;-)
http://www.soundcare.no/
https://hifipig.com/soundcare-superspikes/

The spanish distributor for SEAS told me, that, finally!, the W15LY will be back in stock in a couple of days, so the modification can start soon. On this occasion I'd like to ask again, wether there are other areas of improvement like inner cabling or damping, that should be taken in consideration?

Thanks,
Christian
Kuzma TT | ZYX R100H | stst Agmen | AK/0 | ADS/0 | 6100D | Majik 109 | V200 & Audeze LCD2
acaro

Post by acaro »

Did you ever end up doing the mod?
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Is this the type of mod a Linn dealer could carry out with ease? Wouldn't attempt it myself.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
acaro

Post by acaro »

I don't think so as the woofer is not a stock Linn product. The woofers would have to be ordered seperately and then installed. Skill level to do this is pretty low. I would think that a repair shop could easily do it for you if you're uncomfortable with the task.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Thanks, sorry I meant the Linn dealer would have the skill to do the mod if I gave him the hardware. I think you've answered my query anyway!
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

I wonder if this mod would work in the ninkas as well. Aren the mid/bass units almost identical.

May not be worth the cost of the seas drivers. Curious!
LR: LP12/Selekt/Tundra 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
BR: WiiM/Tundra 2.2/Kan II
Studio: Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Zee9 wrote: 2019-10-14 13:59 I wonder if this mod would work in the ninkas as well. Aren the mid/bass units almost identical.

I would guess probably not. The woofer for Majik 109 is a distinct part number on the Linn parts list and the Majik 109 spec sheet shows it to be a 5" unit. The Ninka bass drivers are 160mm or close to 6.5".
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Can you go Aktiv with a modified woofer?

M.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

If it is a drop in replacement with no changes needed to the passive crossover, as has been claimed, then there should be no problem using it active. Indeed an active system generally has gain controls for the drivers which should allow you to more precisely match driver levels to compensate for the reported difference in sensitivity of the drivers.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Ferdydurke

Post by Ferdydurke »

Hi folks,

I finally did it: swapped the SEAS Prestige woofer for the Excel-type.
After discussing possible issues with a guy who precisely offers modifications for theses speakers, concentrating exlusively on the passive crossover (he objected, the crossover implemented in the active cards might not match the slightly different parameters of the new woofer), I was expecting the worse. But... Right out of the box, the soldering still being warm, it took only 10 minutes and the woofers began to bloom. What you get is much more control, acuracy and timbre/richness of sound in the mid-bass range, increasing 3-dimensionality and soundstage dramatically. Eyes closed you wouldn't expect a speaker of this size...

To Matteo: Yes I did the modification in an all active configuration, that already compensates for some of the weeknesses of the cheaper woofers. And still it's a huge gain of precision and musicality, stunning. As a source nothing more than a humble Majik DS/0 D. Didn't even feel the need of adjusting the level of the aktiv-bass-cards, there seems to be no loss of homogeneity. The 2K seems even more at ease than before.

So thanks to acaro for sharing this great idea to the rest of us!
Ferdy
Kuzma TT | ZYX R100H | stst Agmen | AK/0 | ADS/0 | 6100D | Majik 109 | V200 & Audeze LCD2
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Nice to hear it Ferdy

Happy for you

M.
acaro

Post by acaro »

Awesome to hear that this mod is having a positive impact in your listening experience. Years later, I'm still enjoying mine and remain reluctant to give them up. By the way, mine have been active since the mod.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

acaro wrote: 2019-11-10 16:24 Awesome to hear that this mod is having a positive impact in your listening experience. Years later, I'm still enjoying mine and remain reluctant to give them up. By the way, mine have been active since the mod.
Active with 6100 or x200?

Thanks

M.
acaro

Post by acaro »

I use it with 2 channels from my DSM and 4 channels on my 4100.
Enterk

Post by Enterk »

In case there is still interest in this modification...
I just upgraded my 109s as suggested and have to say the improvement is audible straight away. Pretty much as described by others in this thread, the new units are a significant improvement in every aspect, additionally I have not found the 109s to be bright sounding after the modification at all, just more pleasurable to listen. My set up includes Linn Kairn preamp and Klout power amp. The installation was really straightforward and took 20 min to complete. Thank you to Acaro who started the thread and to all who provided details on their experience previously.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Congratulations.

Acaro uses his mod. 109's in an aktiv configuration.

Does anyone try the mod. 109's in an Exakt system?

M.
gislon

Post by gislon »

I went ahead with the modification last week. I'm in the UK, drivers imported from Norway via a UK dealer. Happy to confirm the improvement is noticeable straight away for me. Better mid tone, presence and overall image. Crucially, they are better with a wider range of sources. Listening to 320kbs internet radio is more engaging. I'd say the improved mid/bass makes them more suitable for a wider range of music too. I'm running them passive on wall mounts. As others have said, they just sound 'bigger'.

Here's what I found for the procedure - just my personal experience I'm not reccomending this approach either way.
I used a slim tab of soft/stiff plastic from some packaging to slide between the rubber ring and the wood initially, then inserted a small electrical screwdriver between the plastic and the rubber, so the veneer was protected. The seal and grill came off in one go just from that one point of leverage, so that was easier than expected. Another time I'd probably try a slightly wider/blunter screwdriver, to reduce any risk of scratching the rubber.

I kept them screwed to the wall (access is a pain, would have taken longer to take them off the wall than do the upgrade). I used a thin metal fixing plate bent at right angles at the end to hook under the drives once the screws were out. They came out more or less under their own weight. I'm out of practice for soldering. Fiddly but a much bigger target than PCB soldering!

Putting them back together it was hard lining them up to put screws back while they were still on the wall. Not ideal and puts stress on the first few screwholes. But poss easier than dropping them in vertically. I separated the grills and rubber ring to put them back, that made it much easier to slot in the ring, then then grill went back in with no problem.

Thanks to all for advice and the idea in the first place. I got the 109s good price used, so the result is a fair price for even better speakers.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

I took the plunge and ordered an M6100 (with aktiv cards) for my mod. 109s from Key Systems in Rome (thanks Paolo Nobile).

Due to Brexit, delivery times could be long however.

Stay tuned

M.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Tasty!
erlhage

Post by erlhage »

Hi,

I did this upgrade earlier this year, after having come across a second hand pair of Excel woofers.

I'm very satisfied. Easily put: It sounds like a much more expensive speaker. (Which it sort of is, I guess...)

I'm running them on an Exaktbox-I

Thanks to the original poster for the idea!

Last edited by erlhage on 2021-08-31 20:52, edited 2 times in total.
SlyD77

Post by SlyD77 »

Hello,

It's seem's that you are alone who have test this mod in an Exakt configuration. Can you describe the plus and the minus after some months of listening?

I have 109 in Exakt configuration and hesitate to do this mod, or going to Akudorik (passiv, but in Exakt).

What do you think?
Sylvain DIDIER

Akurate System HUB / Exaktbox-i / Akudorik
The corporate video agency
erlhage

Post by erlhage »

Hello,

As far as I've read somewhere in this thread, one other gentleman has/had this mod with the Exaktbox-I

I'm still very happy with the mod, no concerns really. Plus for better resolution overall in the mid-bass area, and firmer as well as a tad deeper bass. No minus, honestly :) It really is worth the money.

The Akudoriks will be far better, though.

Good luck : )
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Zee9 wrote: 2019-10-14 13:59 I wonder if this mod would work in the ninkas as well. Aren the mid/bass units almost identical.

No they're a different size and material, but there are SEAS mid-bass drivers that do fit the Ninkas perfectly in a physical sense. In fact Linn provide the part number as a suitable replacement driver now the originals are no longer available. They do recommend to change all 4, IIRC.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

erlhage wrote: 2021-05-25 16:26 Hi,

I did this upgrade earlier this year, after having come across a second hand pair of Excel woofers.

I'm very satisfied. Easily put: It sounds like a much more expensive speaker. (Which it sort of is, I guess...)

I'm running them on an Exaktbox-I

Thanks to the original poster for the idea!

It is possible to create correct Exakt filters for them, if you're interested.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
erlhage

Post by erlhage »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-09-01 22:29

It is possible to create correct Exakt filters for them, if you're interested.
Certainly potentially interesting. I'll PM you.