CIFS vs NFS

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

CIFS vs NFS

Post by Lego »

This comparison isnt ideal as its the same track from different Synology/hard drives NAS's .NFS has volumio grabbing the music but CIFS is served by the Synology media server . Would like to listen to CIFS and Volumio doing the grabbing. There's not much in it in spite of this.

A) https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezv2i5ta1nxa0 ... 8.mp4?dl=0

B)https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7gm56fmli2vk ... 9.mp4?dl=0
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CIFS vs NFS

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote: 2019-02-25 13:49 This comparison isnt ideal as its the same track from different Synology/hard drives NAS's .NFS has volumio grabbing the music but CIFS is served by the Synology media server . Would like to listen to CIFS and Volumio doing the grabbing. There's not much in it in spite of this.

I find A more together and easier to get into.

B is sprawling a bit.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

A. It wasn't an immediate stand out but after going back and forth a few times I began noticing the musicians had a certain swagger and swing in clip A that's absent in B. It was easier to follow and kept my attention longer.
Last edited by markiteight on 2019-02-26 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I hear A as easy to follow individual instruments but not agreeing on where to put the beat down (machine gun beat). I hear B as them trying to agree on the beat almost (not quite) getting it right.
Playing cd’s…………
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

No 'Sound' differences here then :0)
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Not much in it but found myself less interested in B - A 'won' it for me
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-02-25 21:35
Lego wrote: 2019-02-25 13:49 This comparison isnt ideal as its the same track from different Synology/hard drives NAS's .NFS has volumio grabbing the music but CIFS is served by the Synology media server . Would like to listen to CIFS and Volumio doing the grabbing. There's not much in it in spite of this.

B is sprawling a bit.
A was NFS
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

beck wrote: 2019-02-26 07:40 I hear A as easy to follow individual instruments but not agreeing on where to put the beat down (machine gun beat). I hear B as them trying to agree on the beat almost (not quite) getting it right.
So are you saying B is right and A is wrong Beck
I know that tune
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I cannot pick out right or wrong.

I can say that I find B slightly more “human” sounding in a “heavy/clumsy? kind of way.
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Sometimes these streaming files are a pain in the A$$. Yesterday I clicked on both links to bring them up in separate tabs. I started to listen to the first one and then had a customer and was unable to get back to it. Today was pretty busy too but has finally calmed down so I started to give them a listen. Listened to A and it sounded OK then tried to listen to B but it said I couldn't preview the file and would have to download it. So I closed the tab and clicked the link again and this time the file opened in a new tab. I listened to it and thought that clip B bounced along better than clip A. I went back and forth a couple times and always preferred clip B. Then I read the rest of the comments and almost everybody seemed to prefer A. Hmmm! So I went back and listened again and still found B to have more movement to it.

It was then I wondered about the fact that I had linked to A yesterday and B today so I closed A and clicked the link again. Amazing, A now sounds more in time and rhythmic than B! Listened a couple of times and it remains with A being better. I would have blamed expectation bias except after reading others comments I still found B better with the two files I originally listened to. It would certainly be nice if these digital files were more consistent.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Maybe the A electrons got tired waiting, Tom, then you got a fresh wave of particles. It's elementary - just 1 or the 0ther; really not worth getting in an elevated state over it :)
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I agree with the others, that A is better, more in time as Tom said. And I agree with Beck, that B sounds clumsier ;-)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote: 2019-02-27 15:36
lejonklou wrote: 2019-02-25 21:35

B is sprawling a bit.
A was NFS
Very cool!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

ThomasOK wrote: 2019-02-27 23:53 Sometimes these streaming files are a pain in the A$$. Yesterday I clicked on both links to bring them up in separate tabs. I started to listen to the first one and then had a customer and was unable to get back to it. Today was pretty busy too but has finally calmed down so I started to give them a listen. Listened to A and it sounded OK then tried to listen to B but it said I couldn't preview the file and would have to download it. So I closed the tab and clicked the link again and this time the file opened in a new tab. I listened to it and thought that clip B bounced along better than clip A. I went back and forth a couple times and always preferred clip B. Then I read the rest of the comments and almost everybody seemed to prefer A. Hmmm! So I went back and listened again and still found B to have more movement to it.

It was then I wondered about the fact that I had linked to A yesterday and B today so I closed A and clicked the link again. Amazing, A now sounds more in time and rhythmic than B! Listened a couple of times and it remains with A being better. I would have blamed expectation bias except after reading others comments I still found B better with the two files I originally listened to. It would certainly be nice if these digital files were more consistent.
I found I could hear a difference with the first couple hits on the drums
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote: 2019-02-28 02:29 Maybe the A electrons got tired waiting, Tom, then you got a fresh wave of particles. It's elementary - just 1 or the 0ther; really not worth getting in an elevated state over it :)
There's always a simple explanation
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Like Beck, I'm sitting on the fence more than most. I really like the tunefulness and vitality of A. Whereas B seems like a band that are now getting tired and ready to pack up for the night. However, underneath that they seem like a tighter playing band which I also appreciate.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Charlie1 wrote: 2019-02-28 12:16 Like Beck, I'm sitting on the fence more than most. I really like the tunefulness and vitality of A. Whereas B seems like a band that are now getting tired and ready to pack up for the night. However, underneath that, they seem like a tighter playing band which I also appreciate.
I can see (hear) where both sides are coming from. Here at home I initially felt that NFS(A) was slightly less engaging than CIFS and always thought engagement was a prerequisite for me, now I'm not so sure. Engagement could also be you're not sure how things will pan out, like watching someone run for a bus, a very engaging pastime, but not top drawer sport.
When tunefulness is improved, for me listening to music is far less tiring with the most important melody at a particular time in the track standing out more. Solos! I discovered this in a song I knew really well when I found myself humming along to the bass line as the tune was finishing. Even though it wasn't prominent in the mix it was prominent in the tune. I had always heard it but never noticed the playing ie the melody.
Rhythm is important but I'd rather listen to a song without rhythm than a song without melody, in saying that I have a barrowload of 90's dance music, but don't talk to Arkiv about dance music.
Last edited by Lego on 2019-02-28 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Charlie1 wrote: 2019-02-28 12:16 Like Beck, I'm sitting on the fence more than most. I really like the tunefulness and vitality of A. Whereas B seems like a band that are now getting tired and ready to pack up for the night. However, underneath that, they seem like a tighter playing band which I also appreciate.
I can see (hear) where both sides are coming from. Here(Hear?) at home I initially felt that NFS(A) was slightly less engaging than CIFS and always thought engagement was a prerequisite for me, now I'm not so sure. Engagement could also be you're not sure how things will pan out, like watching someone run for a bus, a very engaging pastime, but not top drawer sport.
When tunefulness is improved, for me listening to music is far less tiring with the most important melody at a particular time in the track standing out more. Solos! I discovered this in a song I knew really well when I found myself humming along to the bass line as the tune was finishing. Even though it wasn't prominent in the mix it was prominent in the tune. I had always heard it but never noticed the playing ie the melody.
Rhythm is important but I'd rather listen to a song without rhythm than a song without melody, in saying that I have a barrowload of 90's dance music, but don't talk to Arkiv about dance music.
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for posting Lego - interesting to better understand how you listen and enjoy music.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Charlie1 wrote: 2019-02-28 17:57 Thanks for posting Lego - interesting to better understand how you listen and enjoy music.
Indeed Charlie it wasn't something I ever thought about until you raised the topic.
I know that tune
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Given the implications and risk of bit rot (https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-m ... s-bit-rot/) has anyone on here used or considered using ZFS? ZFS is as close to data loss nirvana as is possible as far as I'm aware. I just wonder:

1. What it sounds like?
2. Whether Snakeoil OS could implement it?

My NAS prior to my Hakai Server build was a Netgear ReadyNAS which used BTRFS which Netgear claimed was close to ZFS in data protection standards. However, the Hakai Server sounds leagues better than my Netgear ReadyNAS and is quicker, easier to use and more flexible for audio.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Views of agent_kith would be invaluable.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.