Volumio.

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Volumio.

Post by Paaf »

For those of you who still have Volumio in your HAKAI.

I temporarily killed Volumio just for fun. The only task it performs is playing that "dah-ding" upon reboot, anyway.

Both musicality and sound improved a lot!

Try it! Login with Putty and

volumio@volumio:~$ volumio vstop

volumio@volumio:~$ ps aux |grep volumioki
volumio 1291 0.0 0.0 2052 1220 ? Ss 20:02 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bi n/startx /etc/X11/Xsession /opt/volumiokiosk.sh
volumio 1329 0.0 0.0 3512 1540 ? S 20:02 0:00 xinit /etc/X11/ Xsession /opt/volumiokiosk.sh -- /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc :0 -auth /tmp/serverau th.Szg9T3CX
volumio 1355 0.0 0.1 3252 2324 ? S 20:02 0:00 /bin/bash /opt/ volumiokiosk.sh
volumio 1375 0.0 0.0 4208 216 ? Ss 20:02 0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-ag ent /opt/volumiokiosk.sh
volumio 1637 0.0 0.0 2736 572 pts/0 S+ 20:03 0:00 grep volumioki

volumio@volumio:~$ kill 1355

Done.

When you want to listen to the original again, reboot.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

At which point you have old(er) versions of mpd & upmp on a old version of Debian, but this also tends to support the finding that it isn't Volumio that makes HAKAI sound good, just that it's a convenient(?) package & UI. Or not that convenient if you suffer from the issues that some here have found...
I have finished my hardware build, finally, and am getting ready to re-image it, but will avoid Volumio, thanks, and go with latest mpd & upmp on Stretch for my HAKAI. Your post is helpful in confirming that's the right way to go :)
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Glad I could help, even if indirectly. :)
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

I wonder how much difference there is between the Debian Stretch install and disabled Volumio?
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

Is there a way to disable Volumio on startup? For me the system environment on the Volumio install works for everything (with updated mpd etc), where as the Stretch install has some issues for me.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

fatjulio wrote: 2019-01-04 01:25 Is there a way to disable Volumio on startup? For me the system environment on the Volumio install works for everything (with updated mpd etc), where as the Stretch install has some issues for me.
You can disable the service at start up I guess and reboot

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl disable volumio
reboot
You will have to manually start volumio with

sudo systemctl start volumio
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I am still smiling about the irony of this. :)

I notice that Volumio seems to randomly remove SSH-access. If it does that and you then disable Volumio, there will be no way to access HAKAI after a reboot.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Paaf wrote: 2019-01-04 12:16 I am still smiling about the irony of this. :)

I notice that Volumio seems to randomly remove SSH-access. If it does that and you then disable Volumio, there will be no way to access HAKAI after a reboot.
That would imply that Volumio uses Debian as shell which cannot run without Volumio.
Then there is no way to disable the service without getting stuck...
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I'm tempted to ask on the Volumio forum how we can safely disable Volumio. :)
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

Sopper wrote: 2019-01-04 09:36

reboot

That doesn't disable volumio, it still starts on reboot.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

fatjulio wrote: 2019-01-04 21:05
Sopper wrote: 2019-01-04 09:36

reboot

That doesn't disable volumio, it still starts on reboot.
We figured, read Paaf’s reply
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Sopper wrote: 2019-01-04 21:18 We figured, read Paaf’s reply
Sopper, what do you refer to there?

In your steps you state that one has to start up volumio manually after a reboot. I have not tested that myself.

My way to disable volumio is different and only temporary kind of a "hack", killing processes manually etc. After a reboot, Volumio starts up automatically. I have tested that.

PS: I need to read up on systemctl. :)
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Paaf wrote: 2019-01-05 22:49
Sopper wrote: 2019-01-04 21:18 We figured, read Paaf’s reply
Sopper, what do you refer to there?

In your steps you state that one has to start up volumio manually after a reboot. I have not tested that myself.

My way to disable volumio is different and only temporary kind of a "hack", killing processes manually etc. After a reboot, Volumio starts up automatically. I have tested that.

PS: I need to read up on systemctl. :)
Ah ok, I thought you figured out that volumio cannot be disabled.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Just installed the latest Volumio on my Rpi+Gigaport and it sorted almost all issues I had with lagging interface, issues with playing from NAS and mixing with tidal. Much more snappy and responsive now.

Edit:
Using Kazoo as control point
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

maffe wrote: 2019-02-09 11:37 Just installed the latest Volumio on my Rpi+Gigaport and it sorted almost all issues I had with lagging interface, issues with playing from NAS and mixing with tidal. Much more snappy and responsive now.
Do you use direct USB output of RPi or do you have something like Allo USBridge between RPi and Gigaport?
Thanks
Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

matthias wrote: 2019-02-09 16:47
maffe wrote: 2019-02-09 11:37 Just installed the latest Volumio on my Rpi+Gigaport and it sorted almost all issues I had with lagging interface, issues with playing from NAS and mixing with tidal. Much more snappy and responsive now.
Do you use direct USB output of RPi or do you have something like Allo USBridge between RPi and Gigaport?
Thanks
Matt
USB strait from RPI to gigaport, it’s the RPI 3B+ I’m using.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Also upgraded Volumio on my Hakai ( that I kind of had given up on) and for the first time it actually works with the gigaport for me. No problem with mixing Tidal and NAS and it’s snappy/responsive interface.
(Vers 2.226)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

maffe wrote: 2019-02-09 20:35 Also upgraded Volumio on my Hakai ( that I kind of had given up on) and for the first time it actually works with the gigaport for me.
maffe,
can you please shed some light on the SQ differences between RPi and HAKAI, both with the same Volumio version and feeding the Gigaport?
Thank you.
Matt
Matt

maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

matthias wrote: 2019-02-09 21:06
maffe wrote: 2019-02-09 20:35 Also upgraded Volumio on my Hakai ( that I kind of had given up on) and for the first time it actually works with the gigaport for me.
maffe,
can you please shed some light on the SQ differences between RPi and HAKAI, both with the same Volumio version and feeding the Gigaport?
Thank you.
Matt
Might post a clip or two in a few days :)
There’s some clip with adsm vs rpi+gigaport somewhere here...
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

maffe wrote: 2019-02-09 21:35 Might post a clip or two in a few days :)
Nice, looking forward to the clips!

Matt
Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Well, with the positive comments on here and from Fredrik I decided to upgrade my HAKAI to the new Volumio. Big mistake! My HAKAI now stutters constantly. Plays 2 or 3 seconds of music and then stops for a couple seconds, repeat infinitely. OK, maybe not infinitely, but I got up last night at 4:30AM and heard that the HAKAI was still playing. It was on track 17 of 19 tracks that totaled maybe an hour and a half playing time which was started around 11:00PM. It was not on repeat. I think this gives you an idea of how bad the stuttering was. So my HAKAI is now useless.

To reduce the questions, the HAKAI, LS-NAS, and switch were relocated to a new rack and the wiring rearranged, but everything was playing as normal after the move. Then I decided, why not do the upgrade?! Bingo, stuttering and slow response to all commands. So just for the heck of it I tried all the normal suspects. Restarted the HAKIA, LS-NAS, switch and DAC each individually a couple of times. Then restarted the router, unplugged the switch, LS-NAS and HAKAI and plugged them back in and restarted them in that order. Told it to play something and it still took a long time to load tracks and start playing. But then it started playing normally - whoopee! But only for 10 seconds and then the continuous stuttering. :-(

It also does the same stuttering on radio played from the Volumio app (the LS-NAS music used either Kazoo or the Volumio app with the same results). The upgrade was done from the Volumio app.

Luckily I came to the realization that the Gigaport+ DAC can connect directly into the LS-NAS and, since I have a monitor I bought solely to set up the LS-NAS, I can just use it to play music from iTunes, which I presume will work. So I guess all is not lost.

In case you haven't guessed from the above, I am not a Linux programmer, nor do I have the time or inclination to become one. So unless somebody has some simple suggestion that doesn't require a hundred lines of code, I'll probably just wait for the next Volumio update in hopes that they find whatever this bug is. I just thought people should know that the latest version of Volumio is not a bed of roses, except maybe for the thorns part.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

The first thing that comes to mind is the audio buffer setting. Maybe this new version has a different default. Try increasing it to see if it makes any difference.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Paaf wrote: 2019-01-04 12:16 I am still smiling about the irony of this. :)

Are you saying if there is no Volumio the default is ssh is switched off and the only way to turn ssh on is through Volumio ..Not sure what you mean by 'randomly removes ssh' .Do you mean once rebooted it goes back to default i.e ssh is switched off and sometimes it keep ssh switched on
I know that tune
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Hi,

I simply meant that sometimes it turned ssh off, and sometimes not, without me touching that setting.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

fatjulio wrote: 2019-02-12 21:47 The first thing that comes to mind is the audio buffer setting. Maybe this new version has a different default. Try increasing it to see if it makes any difference.
Went into the Volumio settings and set the audio buffer to the max 14MB (I think it was set one or two levels below this) and the cache before playing to the max of 40%. No luck, still stuttering on average every two seconds.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.