Box Mass

Conversations about Lejonklou Products and this Forum

Moderator: Staff

sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Box Mass

Post by sunbeamgls »

Some electronics seem to benefit from a few books or a large weight on the top of the box (presumably this acts as some kind of vibration damper or absorber).

Anyone experimented with this on Lejonklou boxes (particularly Fredrik of course)?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Box Mass

Post by lejonklou »

Of course I have! :)

If a unit benefits from a book on top of it, a very similar effect can (and should) be obtained with damping the lid with bitumen (tar-like damping mat) on the inside.

There is a direct relationship between the number of papers on top that sounds the best and the size and thickness of the bitumen piece on the inside that sounds the best. On Tundra, Tundra Mono and Boazu, there's no bitumen on the lid. On Sagatun and Sagatun Mono, there's 2 square cm of the thin mat,.

Have you found your Tundra's prefer a book, sunbeamgls?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I'm glad to read this! I have noticed that a couple of heavy books on top of my majik radikal change the sound. For the better, I think. But this is not practical with my new rack, insufficient height between the shelves, so I may experiment with a bitumin layer inside...

As for my Lejonklou boxes, I wouldn't dare.... :)
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

lejonklou wrote: 2018-11-23 20:58 Of course I have! :)

If a unit benefits from a book on top of it, a very similar effect can (and should) be obtained with damping the lid with bitumen (tar-like damping mat) on the inside.

There is a direct relationship between the number of papers on top that sounds the best and the size and thickness of the bitumen piece on the inside that sounds the best. On Tundra, Tundra Mono and Boazu, there's no bitumen on the lid. On Sagatun and Sagatun Mono, there's 2 square cm of the thin mat,.

Have you found your Tundra's prefer a book, sunbeamgls?
Not yet Fredrik, I haven't experimented. I just recall David Neel experimenting with it as per his post and someone who was on a factory tour at Linn reported that Philbo put a brick on the top of an ADS and it sounded almost as good as a KDS, so was wondering if it would work on amps too.

Would you recommend an Astrid Lindgren, Stieg Larsson or a Henning Mankell? Are we going to get into the merits of first edition hardbacks vs airport pulp fiction? :D

Will have a play, being careful not to cover up the vents of course!
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2018-11-23 23:02 Not yet Fredrik, I haven't experimented. I just recall David Neel experimenting with it as per his post and someone who was on a factory tour at Linn reported that Philbo put a brick on the top of an ADS and it sounded almost as good as a KDS, so was wondering if it would work on amps too.

Would you recommend an Astrid Lindgren, Stieg Larsson or a Henning Mankell? Are we going to get into the merits of first edition hardbacks vs airport pulp fiction? :D

Will have a play, being careful not to cover up the vents of course!
I tried this years ago, with inconclusive results. Discussion in Lisburn about the "Philbo mod" made me try again with my radikal. It's more hifi, maybe or maybe not more musical... but now I have a quadraspire rack then i) there is not enough room and ii) the new rack improves things anyway.

If you're going to try Henning Mankell, remember that Wallander was a vinyl/opera man.... so the books are unlikely to work with digital and Yello :)

Stieg Larsson might work better for you...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

Authors?
Just place Ein Stein on top for a Relative improvement, especially in Germany.....
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

donuk wrote: 2018-11-29 13:14 Authors?
Just place Ein Stein on top for a Relative improvement, especially in Germany.....
With the right contents, that would certainly increase the Bock's mass... Presumably would improve Steinway pianos most grandly :)