Playlist

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Having trouble winning a King Crimson LP. They seem very popular at the moment and some go or nearly £30. Will keep plugging away, but will probably have to just pay up a bit more cash. Same goes for Spirit of Eden, although I did win 'It's My Life' LP or 99p, so that was good.

Took delivery of 'In Rainbows' and 'OK Computer' last week. What a difference it makes to hear a favourite album on a good system. Have 'OK Computer' on CD and enjoyed it very much over the years, but really appreciate it much more now - superb - and that much more haunting. 'In Rainbows' has real potential. It is very low key, but has some really nice tunes.

Picked up a late pressing of Miles Davis double LP 'Bitches Brew' for 99p in a charity shop the other week. I just find some jazz utterly impenetrable and this fits in that category. It makes no sense to me musically at all - just seems all over the place :?. I suppose I should persevere, but am not very motivated to do so!

Being brought up on a strict diet of Rock/Pop as a kid, I've found it difficult to expand my palette even via an LP12, but did manage to finally break into Classical and Blues last year (love John Lee Hooker and much classical now). I get so bored of Rock/Pop sometimes as there never seems to be anything really new and exciting - just regurgitating what the beatles founded 40 years ago. Maybe that's unfair?

However, much jazz still eludes me other than very traditional Duke Ellington which I do enjoy very much and easy going stuff like 'We Get Requests' by Oscar Peterson. I've got the obligatory 'Love Supreme' and 'Kind of Blue', but even they don't really do it for me. I know there are some real Jazz fans on the forum, so any suggestions on something to bridge the gap between the Duke and the strange world of Mr Davis?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hi Charlie try kind of blue again but this time remind yourself that the musicians had just seen the music and were probably playing it close to the first time, then look out your window and try very hard to ignore the music;that should make you think.
If you ever get those times when you dont feel like listening to music put on bitches brew that should clear away the cobwebs.I must admit I've had bitches brew since it was released and I've only played it a few times.I dont think they are particular great albums its just that they signified a turning point in jazz and music.Although I dont know how you cant 'dig' blue and green.Bill Evans is the star of the show.I've got about 80 Miles albums and they are all good in some way.My favorite combo is the band with Herbie hancock,tony williams(aged 19) etc.' Miles Smiles' is one I'd check out.I think the reason some people find it hard to get into Jazz or classical is that they dont listen to it enough.You have to listen to a particular piece every day the way some people watch TV.Then it'll sink in.(is it do it everyday for 21 days and it becomes a habit?)
Try any Bill Evans album with Scott LaFaro on it and you'll be taken to another place,and it''l be a good place to be.........
I take it back Kind of Blue is phenomenal,listening to it now give it a chance
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

OK, I feel re-motivated to give it a go. Thinking back, I did get into classical through shear exposure as you suggest. I bought about 80 classical LPs for £1-2 each from a 2nd hand vinyl shop that was closing down, found a couple that I quite liked and then just built it up from there. Unfortunately, jazz LPs aren't so plentiful in the charity shops etc!
Lego wrote:Try any Bill Evans album with Scott LaFaro
Bill Evans rings a bell - didn't he play on 'Little Wing' with Sting on 'Nothing Like the Sun', or was that a different guy? I will also try to find some of his stuff with Scott LaFaro.
Lego wrote:I've got about 80 Miles albums and they are all good in some way
That is some collection!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

The Bill Evans I'm talking about plays the first few piano chords on Kind of Blue!?The Bill Evans you're talking plays sax usually soprano, Miles used to moan about Sting stealing his musicians referring to that Bill amongst others.Other Bill was well dead by that time.
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

You could try Miles 50s I think its Prestige mono recordings.Mostly standard tunes and very chilled Charles;some were recorded after midnight all through the night and its weird as it actually feels like it.Look out for Working,Cooking,Steaming and Relaxing.You've got me listening to Miles all night tonight,Cheers Charlie1
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I was thinking of Miles 50's too. I remember starting out with some Charlie Parker LP's when I first got into jazz. I remember the feeling of city life and crowded bars late at night. Didn't know any of that was actually recorded at night, but it doesn't surprise me!

Speaking of Radiohead, Charlie, have you heard 'Hail to the thief'? Actually got that one from Paolo here on the forum and I sank deeply into it for a while.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Got Willie Nelson - It always will be on the post today! Fantastic record :D Buy!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Speaking of Willie Nelson, I must admit that I initially had some problems with the country-reggae mix on Countryman, but pretty soon I got hooked.

Steel guitar, reggae bass and those dub-style "Wah wah wah wah wah wah " echoes blend so well that it sounds like they were made for eachother!
Ceilidh

Arpeggiata

Post by Ceilidh »

Hi Everyone,

I've been hesitant to post on this thread, as my musical tastes are obscure and completely off the radar for most of you (though I too like Alison Krauss!). But if you don't mind a Youtube video, here's something from my musical world that might possibly have some crossover appeal to you all (and if not, at least the Regulars here will know the sort of music I'm using to assess & tweak my system; e.g., bass slam etc. is not really a criterion!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vrBLed ... re=related

Anyway, hope at least some of you like it. To me it's one of the most enchantingly joyful pieces of music I've come across in ages, and I love watching the interplay between the musicians.

All best!

-C
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Arpeggiata

Post by Music Lover »

Lovely music!
Do you have her CD "Los Impossibles" with the DVD included?
If not, GET IT :!: :!:
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks Ceilidh!

I enjoyed that very much.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Anyone familiar with Linda Ronstadt's albums. Picked up her self titled 1972 LP and really like it. Any suggestions on what her better albums are - preferably from the vinyl era?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Charlie1,

It's all along time ago now (!) but I've got Hasten Down the Wind and Living in the USA. the former is (imo) the better album by a useful margin (both on mediocre Australian vinyl). Perhaps the best album is Heart Like a Wheel - but it's nearly thirty years since I heard it, so forgive if me if it doesn't live up to my memories. I'd buy it, but the vinyl's too expensive, and I don't want to settle for the CD if it's available on vinyl, so I wait until the economy picks up and replenishes my bank account.

I think Linda Ronstadt is a bit of a guilty pleasure - you know it's not "great" music, but it's so well done...

If you like her, also try Kate and Anna McGarrigle's albums - they wrote some of Ronstadt's songs. More folksy than Ronstadt's big productions. One of them, forget which, is the mother of Martha and Rufus Wainwright, btw.

have fun exploring!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks David. I will start looking out for used copies of 'Hasten Down the Wind' and 'Heart Like a Wheel'. Thanks also for the tip re Kate and Anna McGarrigle's albums - no doubt I can have a listen on YouTube!
David Neel wrote:I think Linda Ronstadt is a bit of a guilty pleasure - you know it's not "great" music, but it's so well done...
Yes, I know what you mean! It did strike me as a bit uncool to be enquiring on the forum about her LPs, but I'm old enough to not worry about that anymore :) Besides, I still enjoy ELO once in a while so she is really quite cool by comparrison. Did I say that out loud! :oops:
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Two albums playing now:

Elbow - Cast of thousands
(Thanks Charlie! Haven't fully gotten into this yet, but it's quite special.)

Dr Dre - The Chronic
(Been on my list for years, since it's always ranked among the top ten hiphop albums of all time. Some really groovy tracks, although at times I feel like I'm a bit too old, or perhaps too civilised, for all the cuss words.)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lejonklou wrote:Elbow - Cast of thousands
(Thanks Charlie! Haven't fully gotten into this yet, but it's quite special.)
I must confess that I never thought you'd get around to buying a copy. Glad you took the plunge and hope it's worth it after all my going on!

They will soon be playing their latest album from start to finish at Abbey Road studios to a live audience. It will be broadcast on BBC radio 2 end of Jan. I'll send the link nearer the time in case you're interested.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

David Neel wrote:It's all along time ago now (!) but I've got Hasten Down the Wind and Living in the USA. the former is (imo) the better album by a useful margin (both on mediocre Australian vinyl). Perhaps the best album is Heart Like a Wheel - but it's nearly thirty years since I heard it, so forgive if me if it doesn't live up to my memories. I'd buy it, but the vinyl's too expensive, and I don't want to settle for the CD if it's available on vinyl, so I wait until the economy picks up and replenishes my bank account.
I managed to buy both these LPs on eBay for just a few quid. I've been enjoying them both in recent weeks. They both lean more towards pop than her self-titled LP, which is more country and western, but they are enjoyable non-the-less and the Mrs likes them too which is always handy :) Thanks for the tips.

Can anyone recommend a Ricky Lee Jones LP? I only have her self titled debut which I love, so would like to buy more.
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

"Ghostyhead" is very good, as is "The Evening of My Best Day"
Komri

Post by Komri »

Charlie1 wrote:
David Neel wrote:It's all along time ago now (!) but I've got Hasten Down the Wind and Living in the USA. the former is (imo) the better album by a useful margin (both on mediocre Australian vinyl). Perhaps the best album is Heart Like a Wheel - but it's nearly thirty years since I heard it, so forgive if me if it doesn't live up to my memories. I'd buy it, but the vinyl's too expensive, and I don't want to settle for the CD if it's available on vinyl, so I wait until the economy picks up and replenishes my bank account.
I managed to buy both these LPs on eBay for just a few quid. I've been enjoying them both in recent weeks. They both lean more towards pop than her self-titled LP, which is more country and western, but they are enjoyable non-the-less and the Mrs likes them too which is always handy :) Thanks for the tips.

Can anyone recommend a Ricky Lee Jones LP? I only have her self titled debut which I love, so would like to buy more.
Strongly recommend "Pirates"!!!
mazganistan

Post by mazganistan »

Rickie Lee Jones albums... finally someone asks that question! :D

She spans so many genres, it's hard to recommend where to go after "Rickie Lee Jones" really.... I think "Pirates" is not a bad way to continue. I love "Traffic from Paradise" too. And "The magazine". (On the vinyl version of the latter there's French lyrics to a song which is instrumental on the CD.) "Girl at her volcano" of course! Her cover album "It's like this" is brilliant - she gives you bright new sides of old familiar songs. Many of them she does even better, in my opinion.
Ghostyhead, right! She got some bashing for that album, I think some people got disappointed that she got into trip hop... but it is so cool.

If you ever lay hands on the film "Naked songs: The life and times of Rickie Lee Jones", grab it! Not available in the U.S, but maybe you can find it on Amazon or some other place. A friend sent it to me from the U.K, so you may find it in some good shop! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151714/

You can also buy live recordings or mp3's from her website www.rickieleejones.com, there's some nice ones like "The moon is made of gold" that her dad wrote, you can't find it on any recording.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sounds like Rickie has plenty of good material. I'll start looking out for all you suggestions and see what comes up at a good price. Cheers for now...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I agree that the film 'Naked Songs' is wonderful and deeply moving. Find it!

When she tells her story in that film, notice what a special voice she has when talking. Her singing voice, with its abscence of vibrato, is also very special, but the two sound completely different. I met and talked to her once and her voice was just like in that movie.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Purchased Pirates on eBay for 3 quid. Not arrived yet. Looking forward to a good listen.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

At last managed to get hold of Snow Patrol's debut 'Final Straw' on LP. The vinyl version is really tuneful and much better than my Simply Vinyl pressing of 'Eyes Wide Shut'. It's a great album and highly recommended by the way for anyone not familiar with it, although some might find it miserable and depressing - personally I find it quite uplifting:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wEOXh2VaUJk
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f8KWk4RD1SU
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0lL1rcRbGDw

Any views on their latest album - haven't bought it yet?

Very much enjoying Pirates BTW
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Anyone got the new U2 album yet and like to share their opinions on it. Other than a few tracks, they've not really done much for me since Auchung Baby.

btw Really enjoying the latest from Kings of Leon.