Aro versus Ekos SE

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Aro versus Ekos SE

Post by pidge22 »

Thankyou Fredrick for providing somewhere to post this thread given the ridiculous situation with Linn Forums...I have a chance to get a 4/5 yr LP12,Keeled & Radikal with an Ekos SE which is the same spec as my current LP12 other than I have an Aro & Kandid (the Kandid would be swapped over)

I don't know what to do as I don't want to get this opportunity go but I love my current LP12 & have had it longer than any other LP12 I have had,nearly three years & it was setup by doctor Peter..

I can't help thinking that in a mostly Linn system (other than the Tron Ultimate Phono Stage) I should be having a Ekos SE particularly with the synergy with the Kandid.

A&B demo difficult so I have to go on my gut feeling & advice so any appreciated...
KDSM2,Klimax Solo's/1,Lp12,Keel,Radikal/1,Aro,Kandid,Tron Seven,Akurate 242's
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Aro versus Ekos SE

Post by anthony »

pidge22 wrote:Thankyou Fredrick for providing somewhere to post this thread given the ridiculous situation with Linn Forums...I have a chance to get a 4/5 yr LP12,Keeled & Radikal with an Ekos SE which is the same spec as my current LP12 other than I have an Aro & Kandid (the Kandid would be swapped over)

I don't know what to do as I don't want to get this opportunity go but I love my current LP12 & have had it longer than any other LP12 I have had,nearly three years & it was setup by doctor Peter..

I can't help thinking that in a mostly Linn system (other than the Tron Ultimate Phono Stage) I should be having a Ekos SE particularly with the synergy with the Kandid.

A&B demo difficult so I have to go on my gut feeling & advice so any appreciated...
If you love your current deck why change?
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

Hi,
In a Linn system am concerned I maybe am missing something with the synergy an Ekos Se would bring to the LP12 and Kandid ....problem is will any improvement out weigh the expense and effort required to get a new LP12...
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Folk wax lyrical about one or the other, to the point that you likely need to hear for yourself. I use an SE/1, but if at the time of purchase the Aro had been a current arm I would have listened to both.

Mick
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

pidge22 wrote:Hi,
In a Linn system am concerned I maybe am missing something with the synergy an Ekos Se would bring to the LP12 and Kandid ....problem is will any improvement out weigh the expense and effort required to get a new LP12...
You lose the synergy with the tron, out of interest did you hear an urika?
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

anthony wrote:
pidge22 wrote:Hi,
You lose the synergy with the tron, out of interest did you hear an urika?
agreed and that is also my concern ...no never listened to a urika prior to the Tron I had a Uphorik that the Tron absolutely trounced...
HIDDENSYSTEMS

Post by HIDDENSYSTEMS »

If you are near we have Ekos Se/1 on an LP12 , Tiger Paw Javelin (Aro) on LP12 plus Urika 1 & 2 plus Uphorik and Rega Aura. Love that name Tron BTW >
http://www.hiddensystems.co.uk
Lejonklou | Linn | Naim | Devialet | Rega | Totem | |Kudos
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

HIDDENSYSTEMS wrote:If you are near we have Ekos Se/1 on an LP12 , Tiger Paw Javelin (Aro) on LP12 plus Urika 1 & 2 plus Uphorik and Rega Aura. Love that name Tron BTW >
Unfortunately I am near Nottingham so a bit far away but thanks for the offer...
Gammaboy

Post by Gammaboy »

I was using an Aro along with Keel, Radikal/Urika, Kandid, and Woodsong movingui plinth. I purchased the Aro new many years ago as a replacement for an Ekos 1. I replaced the Aro with an Ekos SE/1 about two years ago. I am very fond of the Aro, and still use it in a second system, but the Ekos SE/1 is clearly a cut above. To me the Ekos SE/1 provides quite a bit more detail and is more musical.
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

Gammaboy wrote:I was using an Aro along with Keel, Radikal/Urika, Kandid, and Woodsong movingui plinth. I purchased the Aro new many years ago as a replacement for an Ekos 1. I replaced the Aro with an Ekos SE/1 about two years ago. I am very fond of the Aro, and still use it in a second system, but the Ekos SE/1 is clearly a cut above. To me the Ekos SE/1 provides quite a bit more detail and is more musical.
Useful feedback thanks....
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Some who have heard it reported it combines the virtues of SE and Aro:
https://www.tiger-paw.com/javelin-tone-arm
So maybe an option to sell both the SE and Aro ?

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

matthias wrote:Some who have heard it reported it combines the virtues of SE and Aro:
https://www.tiger-paw.com/javelin-tone-arm
So maybe an option to sell both the SE and Aro ?

Matt
It’s certainly a consideration though i see a Javelin for Aro Keel is still being developed....I think the only way i would change the keel would be for the Ekos SE
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

pidge22 wrote: It’s certainly a consideration though i see a Javelin for Aro Keel is still being developed....I think the only way i would change the keel would be for the Ekos SE
AFAIK, Javelin for Aro Keel is shortly before launch.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
DavidHB

Post by DavidHB »

matthias wrote:
pidge22 wrote:AFAIK, Javelin for Aro Keel is shortly before launch.
It's certainly promised. And, having heard the Javelin on demo, I can certainly confirm that it is well worth a listen. And, as I needed a ferry journey to get that demo, I would not regard a trip from Nottingham to Windsor as too far to hear the Hi-Fi component I am really interested in. That said, it is possible that Peter Swain at Cymbiosis has a Javelin on demo, and he is much nearer to Nottingham; it would be worth a call to confirm.

One advantage of the Javelin (apart from the fact that it is a current product, which the Aro is not) is that it has an arm lift. For those who, like me, find the wobbliness of unipivots a bit scary, this is an important usability advantage.

David
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

Dont think I would change to a Javelin though ,I would stick with the Aro The only change I would make is to the Ekos SE despite all the hastle & expense that will come with it...
anachronid

Post by anachronid »

pidge22 wrote:Thankyou Fredrick for providing somewhere to post this thread given the ridiculous situation with Linn Forums...I have a chance to get a 4/5 yr LP12,Keeled & Radikal with an Ekos SE which is the same spec as my current LP12 other than I have an Aro & Kandid (the Kandid would be swapped over)

Presumably there's some reason why you can't buy just the Ekos SE (then you would have just the Aro to sell, rather than your entire existing deck)? Do you have to sell your existing deck before you acquire the other?
Linn Klimax LP12 (Urika II), Linn KEDSM, Exakt Akubariks
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

anachronid wrote:

Presumably there's some reason why you can't buy just the Ekos SE (then you would have just the Aro to sell, rather than your entire existing deck)? Do you have to sell your existing deck before you acquire the other?
As I have a Keel then both the Keel & Arm will need to be changed...
anachronid

Post by anachronid »

pidge22 wrote: As I have a Keel then both the Keel & Arm will need to be changed...
Ah yes of course --- it's a real shame you can't get the two decks/arms side-by-side for a direct comparison in your system.
Linn Klimax LP12 (Urika II), Linn KEDSM, Exakt Akubariks