HAKAI NAS

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

HAKAI NAS

Post by Azazello »

Ok, So I'm finally up and running with my HAKAI NAS. It's built on the Gigabyte N3050N-D2P Motherboard, one 160 GB, and one 300 GB Intel 320. Everyting else to HAKAI spec.

After a number of horribly frustrating attempts of making the ***** **** work I managed to find a solution simple enough for an idiot like myself. I'm now running Windows 10 with Twonky and Lumin as control point. I cant make Volumio find the files on the HAKAI NAS, even though they just show up from the Twonky on my Qnap. No Idea why but **** ****.

This was all I had to do. No Linux code, no finding the right addres to mount something to something with instructions written by someone who spends his entire life in front of a computer and thinks your a complete moron if you don't understand that Silverlite and Javascript are two completely different things.

Twonky was easy enough to install and set up in Windows as well.

I tried the following things and failed:

Volumio as stand alone (on the HAKAI NAS, talking to the other HAKAI)
Making Volumio talk directly (not dirty) to Windows
Asset on Windows (this showed up in Lumin, but looked empty)
Miniserver on Windows
All Media server on Windows (it found everything in my Network but nothing found it)
FreeNAS as stand alone (don’t even ask)
Anything at all on Linux mint

And most likely a number of other things I either don't want to talk about or have forgotten about.

Anyway! I like the result so far. Clips are on the way.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: HAKAI NAS

Post by Lego »

Nice work Azazello, are you not tempted to try Fidelizer on windows to see if that also improves things http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/
I know that tune
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Wee I have to do something, since after yesterday when I tried to mount the shared folder to Volumio, it stopped working. I can see all the records and songs in Lumin, but they don't play at all.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Got it to work again, stopped sharing the folders, re-installed Lumin, and changed some settings in Lumin activating UPnP Search and Remote Acces. Not sure what did it.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Azazello wrote:Got it to work again, stopped sharing the folders, re-installed Lumin, and changed some settings in Lumin activating UPnP Search and Remote Acces. Not sure what did it.
Just spoke to someone and they changed firewall settings in windows and could access files on Hakai volumio and cast(with windows) to another streamer
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

This is a very simple build of a raspberry pi nas using a single ssd ,micro sd card and Openmedia Nas software

https://youtu.be/gT-EGNl9bZA
I know that tune
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Lego wrote:
Azazello wrote:Got it to work again, stopped sharing the folders, re-installed Lumin, and changed some settings in Lumin activating UPnP Search and Remote Acces. Not sure what did it.
Just spoke to someone and they changed firewall settings in windows and could access files on Hakai volumio and cast(with windows) to another streamer
Thank you! Will look it up!
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Just use this guide to adjust the Windows Firewall and you'll be able to see the Hakai in Explorer as shown in the attached image files.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/236746/ ... with-samba

I can drill down to any drive on the Hakai and play the music to any media player on my network. In practice only one is used now :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Since I have a spare motherboard, I will build the HAKAI NAS next week.

Gigabyte GA-N3050N-D3H Motherboard
8GB Kingston Valueram
2 x 600GB Intel 320 SSD
Streacom nano160 psu and FC5 alpha case

Going to try OpenMediaVault NAS software, running from USB 3.0 stick.

Will report back here
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Sopper wrote:Since I have a spare motherboard, I will build the HAKAI NAS next week.

8GB Kingston Valueram
2 x 600GB Intel 320 SSD

Will report back here
You should probably install the OS directly on the 320.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

HAKAI NAS Linux/Twonky

Post by Lego »

I managed to install twonky on Elementary (UBUNTU), it's very straightforward.

Once Twonky is downloaded and unzipped make a note of the name of the unzipped folder

Open XTerm (NOT the Terminal) and type in these commands one row at a time

sudo mkdir /usr/local/twonky

sudo mkdir /var/twonky

cd ~/Downloads/twonky-i686-glibc-2.9-8.3/

NB( twonky-i686-glibc-2.9-8.3/ is the name of the folder after you've unzipped twonky download, it will be different from above) DONT type this line... lol

sudo cp –af * /usr/local/twonky/

cd /usr/local/twonky/

sudo chmod 777 twonky.sh

sudo usr/local/twonky/twonky.sh

The last line above starts twonky install ..DONT type this line lol

After Twonky is installed, go to http://127.0.0.1:9000/webconfig and pick music folders etc

Unfortunately once pc is restarted twonky won't start automatically .

Go to settings then startup or maybe applications depending on what distro you are using where you will find the options to pick which program you want to start during boot. You won't see twonky so look for and click on an add button to add a command line and type in the following:

/usr/local/twonky/twonky.sh start

Once you restart the pc Twonky will be showing on your network

This works I can assure you ..Dont type this LOL
I know that tune
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Azazello wrote:
Sopper wrote:Since I have a spare motherboard, I will build the HAKAI NAS next week.

8GB Kingston Valueram
2 x 600GB Intel 320 SSD

Will report back here

HAKAI NAS up and running.

NAS-operating system: OpenMediaVault (Linux Debian 9 Stretch) on SDA1 Intel 320
Media server I: Minim server for local music stored on SDB1 Intel 320 in the NAS
Media server II: BubbleUPnP server for integration Qobuz
Control app: Linn Kazoo

Works like a charm and lightning fast browsing music libraries.

Will audition with Esi dac later this week; using RME Adi 2 dac now
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Sopper wrote:
Azazello wrote:

8GB Kingston Valueram
2 x 600GB Intel 320 SSD

Will report back here

HAKAI NAS up and running.

Media server I: Minim server for local music stored on SDB1 Intel 320 in the NAS

Will audition with Esi dac later this week; using RME Adi 2 dac now
Sounds like a nice setup think I'll be going down this route as I've given up Volumio, managed to install minidlna but could not add path as volumio kept giving me errors.

Why are using a dac with your nas Sopper,i take it you mean with Hakai
I know that tune
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Yes, ESI connected to my HAKAI running Volumio

Why did you give up on HAKAI?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Sopper wrote:Yes, ESI connected to my HAKAI running Volumio

Why did you give up on HAKAI?
Got Hakai just gave up on trying to obtain a Volumio Nas
I know that tune
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I've got my HakaiNAS running today.

I already have an LSNAS and various Intel 320 SSDs. During my experimentation with the LSNAS I duplicated the main music files to a second disk, and this disk (NTFS format) is my music library. The software disk is an Intel 320 with Debian and Asset UPnP installed. My LSNAS is running Win7HP and Asset.

The only involvement with the Debian command line has been to edit crontab so that i) the music SSD is mounted, and ii) Asset is started - both automatically on startup.

I had immense trouble trying to get Volumio to find the music files, so gave up and used the ADS/3 for initial impressions. Well, I like the LSNAS, but the HakaiNAS seems better! So I then re-connected the Hakai streamer, and still couldn't get Volumio to find the music files. BUT inspiration hit me and I went back to my Android tablet and used Bubble DS to control things instead of a browser to Volumio - instant success!

So now I have HakaiNAS and Hakai playing together very nicely.... all I need now is a good ripper....
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Congrats, but not what I wanted to read as it means I'll have to build a second HAKAI... Will you be kind enough to post clips of LS- vs H-NAS, or are you too busy enjoying the music?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I'm not sure it's helpful to post clips, as there are actually more variables than just Hakai vs LSNAS. One is the position/support for the NAS, another is the operating system. I think my LSNAS could be further optimised, but this has not been practical. It also functions as a ripper, which means keeping Windows rather than using Debian.

Please note that I said the HNAS "seems" better. Due to the variables, I'd hate to be definitive. But the smaller size and much more rigid case of the HNAS allowed me to position it on a Lack table, whereas the LSNAS degrades the sound (presumably due to vibrations) unless it is in acoustic shadow from the speakers - so has to be on the floor behind a sofa.

I'm thinking about building a third Hakai to act solely as a ripper. This would run Windows so as to be able to use EAC or dbPoweramp, and would store across the network to the Debian NAS. I would need to find a good optical drive to do the ripping. Or maybe just re-purpose the LSNAS?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'd like to raise your awareness around the fact that Volumio can handle the file system NFS, as well as the more common CIFS, which I suspect most if not all of you are using.

There's been talk of NFS and CIFS sounding different when used on a NAS and streamer. And NFS is supposed to be quite a bit better - more musical. This doesn't surprise me when I have looked at how simple the procedure appears to be when NFS grabs a file from the NAS, compared to the request and response in CIFS.

So the reason I'm writing you this is simply:
Please mount your next HAKAI NAS with NFS! I'd like to know how big the difference is. You just need to activate a setting in Volumio to let it find the files.

As several have reported problems with Volumio finding all of your music, maybe NFS could be the solution to this problem too?
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

David Neel wrote: I like the LSNAS, but the HakaiNAS seems better!
If only life were simple. Since then I have moved a bit of furniture round so that the LSNAS has a firm support rather than sitting on carpet. Because of this, network arrangements currently differ between the two NAS: Blue Jeans to GS105 then generic cable to GS108T for the LSNAS (which needs to be some distance away), with the H-NAS being direct into the GS108T via my second-best ethernet cable (Belkin). The streamer is Blue Jeans to GS108T. So there are several variables, but this wiring arrangement means that I have been able to do A/B with a 30-second changeover, rather than the previous long gaps. And dammit, I'm now back to preferring the LSNAS.

So the next task will be trying to eliminate variables. Not a quick one, as I will need to rewire my network so that each is connected identically (cables, switches, power sockets) and then compare i) Debian vs Win7 on the LSNAS, ii) Debian LSNAS vs Debian H-NAS.

Off topic, heard Tord Gustavson Trio last night. Original compositions, Bach chorales through a prism of nordic jazz, a couple of old hymn tunes... totally absorbing and magnificent.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

The last pieces of the puzzle arrived today...or so I thought. In preparation for software installation I began reading up on openmediavault and came across this:

"The whole disc will be occupied by the system and swap space [1], so size doesn’t matter so much. Data storage on the system disc is not supported."

I currently have two 600gB Intel 320 drives in my HAK-NAS. It sounds like if I install openmediavaut on one of the drives the remaining 596gB will not be usable for music storage. Is that true? If so I'll need a 3rd drive for the OS. Is the musical performance of the system drive important? Should I look for another 320 or would any ol' (potentially faster) drive suffice?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Just curious: why are you set on OpenMediaVault? Minimserver runs nicely on Debian - I have that installed on a 40Gb SSD with available room to spare, but to answer your last question, based on a previous musical NAS project: the OS disk doesn't have to be an Intel 320 unless you are planning to use it as space for music files. The LS-NAS spec was something like Samsung 830 for the OS, and Intel 320 SSD for the storage drive(s) unless you wanted to use the OS disk for additional storage, in which case the recommendation was a 320, with 300 or 600Gb sounding more musical than the smaller Intels.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

tokenbrit wrote: 2019-01-13 01:57 Just curious: why are you set on OpenMediaVault? Minimserver runs nicely on Debian
I'm not set on anything, just going off of this:
Sopper wrote: HAKAI NAS up and running.

which makes it sound like I need both OMV and Minimserver for playback of local music files. I also want to make a Windows partition so I can run EAC and rip directly to the music drives.

You'll have to pardon my ignorance if this is basic stuff. I have a VERY rudimentary understanding of IT and have zero experience setting up and using a DS-ish system (I installed a Windows Home Server for my parents many years ago...that's the extent of my experience with NAS devices). The learning curve will be VERY steep for a while!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

No problem, at all - we're all learning. Speaking of which, I just looked up OMV - seems like a heavyweight solution for storing music, designed for small offices with e-mail & file sharing in mind. That should not be necessary. A simple install of Debian plus MinimServer should suffice, unless you want your 'NAS' to do more than be a music library. Partitioning the OS drive & setting up for dual-boot should be 'relatively' straightforward, although I have not done it myself. I think I'd trust Debian to install successfully alongside Windows, more so than trusting Windows to install successfully alongside Debian.
Two things to consider:
1. Filesystem: Windows uses NTFS; Debian uses EXT. This shouldn't be a problem on the OS drive as they'll each be on their own partitions and filesystem. Where it becomes a challenge is the storage disks - if the music server side of things is based on Debian (with MinimServer) then you'll likely want these to be EXT4 filesystem. Then you'll have to work out how to copy rips from Windows & EAC to an EXT4 filesystem. Bear in mind that music files tend to sound better the fewer times they've been copied, and you'll probably have to write or copy the files to the storage disks from Windows - the problem being that Debian/MinimServer is down while you're ripping as you can't have both systems running. I've used a Windows app to read from EXT4, but I don't know if the same or other apps can write from Windows to EXT, or what they'd do to the musicality of the files / file contents. You could just run the whole thing - media server (NAS) with EAC & MinimServer - on Windows as MinimServer is available on that too. Keeps it simpler, but...
2. I believe the finding from the LS-NAS project was that the ripping hardware degraded the musical performance of the media server, so some were using an external DVD/optical disk plugged in for ripping sessions only. Again, this would likely mean a Windows only system, rather than dual-boot.

I may well be making it more complicated than it needs to be - hopefully others will chime in with what they've done and what they found works best from rip to media server to music. The only things I have tried is ripping from a Windows machine, writing locally then copying to a share on a ReadyNAS running Twonky; later ripping straight to the ReadyNAS. Ripping I have tried EAC, dBpoweramp, and iTunes. I just recently built a NAS running Debian & MinimServer, taking a first copy of the files, using NFS, from the ReadyNAS to the Debian box. I haven't worked out what to do yet about future rips, but these will likely need to continue to be on a Windows system as I prefer using iTunes, and ripping to ALAC. I'm sure others will have different preferences & suggestions ;)
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

When I started with the HAKAI road trip, I had little to no knowledge of Linux.
I went straight for OMV for the NAS, because I was thinking in a traditional way; a NAS needs NAS Software with services, users, raid options, etc.

As of today, I understand Linux much more, and I agree with tokenbrit; all you need is Linux (Debian?) and a music server (minidlna, minimserver, twonky, etc.)

If you go OMV and have installed that, you can partition the disk with a bootable usb disk with gparted.
This will allow you to make the omv partition very small and use the remaining as new partition that can be used for storing music.

On a side note: my NAS with OMV has run from day 1 and all my music has been accessible within a millisecond, so it IS very stable and reliable.
I hope Debian + fileserver will be too...

I recommend everybody to try out the Bridge function and connect the NAS directly to the HAKAI, and the HAKAI only connected to the NAS; it gave me quite an improvement for local music playing