NAS Software

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

NAS Software

Post by Azazello »

Where do I even start? Windows? Linux? If I use Linux, will it be easy to move the files from my Qnap..?

I have a 320 with Windows already installed, so it would be the easiest way to move forward...

*help*
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: NAS Software

Post by Lego »

Azazello wrote:Where do I even start? Windows? Linux? If I use Linux, will it be easy to move the files from my Qnap..?

I have a 320 with Windows already installed, so it would be the easiest way to move forward...

*help*
Does Volumio not have Samba built-in .I've been told that if you store files or plug in a hard drive into Hakai it shows up on the network as a library. I'd start with Volumio
I know that tune
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Thank you!

Found this tutorial on how to copy files to a Volumio network device, simple enough even for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJL0IsUTFnI

The next problem is how I'm going to get one Hakai to play from the other ... it doesn't work to just assign the folder like with the Qnap.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

OMG how I hate this!!!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Azazello wrote:OMG how I hate this!!!
Me too!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

God help us! Please forgive me for getting you into this mess! :'D
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I cant get Volumio to find anything else than the Qnap (that it just found) and I have no clue what so ever where the problem lies.

Is there someone who can help out? I have tried to share files through Windows, FreeNAS, Miniserver and Asset. Nothing.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Don't ask me! I have to pop open my HAKAI and find out why my Volumio install doesn't see the SSD. But probably not until tomorrow night.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I'm struggling with something similar. Rebuilt the J3455 board as a NAS, I've done this before but now I can't get it visible on the network. So Volumio on the streamer can't find it...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Thank you for your moral support :) I’ll give this another go tonight or tomorrow.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

My Klyde could not “read” side b of the record either.........until I decided to try to flip the record around.......amazing! :-)

I really do hope for you all that you can get it right. I hate computers except my ipad which works and makes it possible for me to type dumb annoying text on this forum. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Azazello wrote:I cant get Volumio to find anything else than the Qnap (that it just found) and I have no clue what so ever where the problem lies.

Is there someone who can help out? I have tried to share files through Windows, FreeNAS, Miniserver and Asset. Nothing.
Check your network Azazwllo http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/N ... g_Glossary
Last edited by Lego on 2018-09-21 14:17, edited 3 times in total.
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

David Neel wrote:I'm struggling with something similar. Rebuilt the J3455 board as a NAS, I've done this before but now I can't get it visible on the network. So Volumio on the streamer can't find it...
Did volumio Nas improve the sound of your Akurate DS David!?
I know that tune
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I was in the middle of testing when the original J3455 failed. So although brief initial impressions were good, I didn't come to any conclusions. Hence trying again with this new one.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Is this of any help Azazello https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBrbzoghTsI
I know that tune
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Thank you Lego! I got it working today with Twonky on Windows 10 and Lumin, but will give that a go as well and see if I can “mount” the files to Volumio directly as well!

I’ll post some clips later, but my initial impression is that it improves things by quite some margain!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Azazello wrote:Thank you Lego! I got it working today with Twonky on Windows 10 and Lumin, but will give that a go as well and see if I can “mount” the files to Volumio directly as well!

I’ll post some clips later, but my initial impression is that it improves things by quite some margain!
That's great news Azazello ..please keep us all right.
I know that tune
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I've taken the same approach as with the LSNAS: one SSD with the operating system (Debian) and the UPnP server (Asset) and another SSD with music files. This now boots happily on the Hakai with both motherboards and I have been able to compare motherboards running as a NAS, and also with the LSNAS which is running Windows 7HP and Asset.

Before I finished the comparisons I wanted to put the Debian set of SSDs into the LSNAS to reconfirm my impressions of Debian vs Windows from a few years ago (I remember a very marginal improvement), but they won't boot and I haven't worked out why....

FWIW the N3050N-D2P soundly (excuse the pun!) beats the J3455 as a NAS, but it's very close against the LSNAS, and I think I prefer the LSNAS.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Any new conclusions, guys?

I will start building the units tomorrow, both the HAKAI and the NAS. I just bought three 160gb ssds.

1) Selecting OS
My experience with the QNAP NAS is that after shutting down background services, the system improves tune. Sometimes a LOT! Even for idle services...

This points to wanting the OS that has the least unused weird background services and/or processes, minimum footprint, no fancy stuff.

Windows has many background services.
Debian is usually clean and precise. (At least it used to be.. things tend to bloat).
Ubuntu Server? We don't actually need a GUI.
Lubuntu? (tiny)
ElementaryOS? (Although small, it is focused on being ux-friendly.. so probably not the right choice here.)
Android could be interesting!

2) Formatting hard drives.
I suppose we stick to Fredrik's advice and format all the ssds as NFS.

Not sure what to use if it's Windows or Android.

We can format them just as well by sticking them temporarily into a stationary PC and usb-booting the PC into linux (or similarly.)

My plan was to use the 1st ssd for OS/programs and the 2nd for music. But perhaps we gain by splitting the 1st ssd into two partitions, one for OS/programs and the other for music? (I think it's otherwise a waste of 160gb.)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Paaf wrote: 2018-11-14 02:04 Any new conclusions, guys?

I will start building the units tomorrow, both the HAKAI and the NAS. I just bought three 160gb ssds.

1) Selecting OS
My experience with the QNAP NAS is that after shutting down background services, the system improves tune. Sometimes a LOT! Even for idle services...

This points to wanting the OS that has the least unused weird background services and/or processes, minimum footprint, no fancy stuff.

Windows has many background services.
Debian is usually clean and precise. (At least it used to be.. things tend to bloat).
Ubuntu Server? We don't actually need a GUI.
Lubuntu? (tiny)
ElementaryOS? (Although small, it is focused on being ux-friendly.. so probably not the right choice here.)
Android could be interesting!

2) Formatting hard drives.
I suppose we stick to Fredrik's advice and format all the ssds as NFS.

Not sure what to use if it's Windows or Android.

We can format them just as well by sticking them temporarily into a stationary PC and usb-booting the PC into linux (or similarly.)

My plan was to use the 1st ssd for OS/programs and the 2nd for music. But perhaps we gain by splitting the 1st ssd into two partitions, one for OS/programs and the other for music? (I think it's otherwise a waste of 160gb.)
I had a flac album on my android phone and decided to stream it straight to hakai as I wanted to listen to the album immediately .when I finally found the flac on my NAS I had that eery feeling it sounded more tuneful streamed via wireless from the phone
I know that tune
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I need to add OpenMediaVault that is mentioned in another thread. It is a Debian based NAS OS with a tiny footprint.

I also found FreeNAS but it requires 8GB MINIMUM to run which seems quite high. It handles large scale NAS too, so probably not our best choice.

Lego, Was that a HAKAI based NAS? Perhaps the electric decoupling helps! There is probably a 10x faster CPU in the phone than the NAS, which might help, at least if the NAS is struggling.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

It's a Synology, I was expecting Hifi type improvement with wired nas but I'm sure I got a musical regression, I could be wrong. Wireless seemed more light and airy.. :0)
I know that tune
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Perhaps Synology isn't very good as a music NAS then? I don't remember it being recommended very much but perhaps I remember wrong. I have never tried it myself.

(BTW, as I understand the concept "tuneful", I don't think "more light and airy" necessarily means "more tuneful".)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Paaf wrote: 2018-11-14 15:10 Perhaps Synology isn't very good as a music NAS then? I don't remember it being recommended very much but perhaps I remember wrong. I have never tried it myself.

(BTW, as I understand the concept "tuneful", I don't think "more light and airy" necessarily means "more tuneful".)
Bad attempt at a joke Paaf.Also, I think the hard drive has more of an influence on the sound than the nas.If the nas isnt built for sound
I know that tune
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Ah, because the music went over the air... gotcha. :)

I think I'll go with OpenMediaVault if no one is of the opinion that there is a better or simpler choice.