Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Matteo »

Vinyl is the only way
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

ComputerAudiophile review based on the Chicago event, gives a better description of the control “knob” and use of the new “Pins” currently in beta Davaar

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/b ... sten-r741/

Also in there is a link to the official Linn release document. Orders for DS models taken until end of September if anyone wants one.

‘troll
Paulq

Post by Paulq »

Interesting review.

I am going to wait and see if I can get a side by side comparison of Akurate Katalyst and Selekt Katalyst before deciding which way to go. I am very curious.

(I am also somewhat selfishly hoping that this may result in Akurate Katalyst being available more cheaply on the second-hand market as people migrate towards the 'sexier' product :-)).
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Can you remove that knob controller thingy off the top of the unit so you can use it without having to get up? Sorry if that sounds dumb but I haven't read anything that says it's portable, unless I've missed it.
Interesting that they've used three feet. Good idea imo, very stable and zero micro-rocking risk with that configuration.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Can you remove that knob controller thingy off the top of the unit so you can use it without having to get up? Sorry if that sounds dumb but I haven't read anything that says it's portable, unless I've missed it.
You can remove it with enough force, but it wouldn't be pretty. ;-) There is a special remote control coming that is just for the Selekt DSM, not quite ready for the reveal. I don't know if it has a big, lighted knob too, or not.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Very nice looking Sondek LP23 indeed...!!!
Tony Tune-age
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Some people just don't know how to keep a secret! It can't just be a typo for LP12 as the footprint of the Selekt DSM is square and not even close to that of the rectangular Sondek. The LP23 is Linn's new close and play square turntable made to play the new 9" (23cm) records Linn is also introducing. A brand new format! But it isn't supposed to be announced until October, hence the extended shutdown of the forum for the real shocking introduction. Boneheads at What Hi*Fi messing up an amazing product intro! What can you do?
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
jlrchrds

Post by jlrchrds »

Well the net effect is this... the forum shutdown is typical Linn wackiness. Like my dealer not necessarily being able to sell me a Urika II, another story. They are right and everyone else doesn’t matter. It makes me far more interested in looking at alternatives to Linn. I just swapped my 212s Exakt for Doriks AND I wanted to throw some questions about dialing them in on the forum, which was always a good resource. Oh well, some of their decisions are just dumb... they’re right and the consumer is wrong. Jeff
timster

Post by timster »

DavidHB wrote:
Music at Home wrote:That'll cut off the market for those customers who just want a Linn DS as their digital streaming source in an otherwise non-Linn system (or still sticking with their Kontrol). Perhaps it wasn't that big a market anyway, but it looks like it's "our way, or the highway"
Not exactly, given that the Selekt comes in four versions, with or without power amplification and Katalyst (that'll give us lots of fun with nomenclature when we get the Linn forum back). As regards use of a separate pre-amplifier, that ship sailed when LInn discontinued the Klimax Kontrol in 2015.

Where the Selekt does seem to make meagre provision is in outputs. No XLR or RCA out (so no option to use separate power amplification) on the models with power amplifiers. And the only digital output is the Exakt link, so no SPDIF out or HDMI pass though, and no provision for headphones at all. There's clearly some thought gone into the design, so, for the moment at least, we have to assume that Linn know what they're doing. Selekt does not look to me like an enthusiast product, though, dependent on price, it mike be what I'm looking for to use in my study.

David
I find it odd that there is no HDMI pass-through, perhaps it's intended only for ARC rather than AV - the surround system upgrade coming next year may be another module with full HDMI functionality. But there is an SPDiF output (it seems to be similar to the Klimax in that regard, one of the SPDiFs can be configured in or out).

I am liking the modular configurability aspect of the design. I am quite excited by it in fact. It could eventually replace my AEDSM one day (some things are good, future add-ons like a headphone module, bluetooth). If only the twiddly knob could be configured to be on the front so it could fit in my rack!

And why a USB-B socket? And not on the front? Seems an odd choice on both counts.

I am liking what I have seen so far. May have to go and have a listen one day :)
AEDSM (AKA ASH) -> AEBox10 -> M6100 + M2100 -> M140 + REL T5
cortina

Post by cortina »

Good morning Timster and welcome over to the good place! :)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

timster wrote: I am liking the modular configurability aspect of the design. I am quite excited by it in fact.
+1
I think the next Klimax generation will get a modular design as well.
Maybe Linn settle for the future on two lines only, Selekt and a Klimax version of Selekt, and leave the odd diversification of Majik and Akurate behind.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Nrwatson

Post by Nrwatson »

dubselect wrote:So we already have a review (https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/linn-selekt-dsm) and prices (http://www.the-ear.net/news/linn-selekt-dsm).
Donald wrote: Also a strange looking USB IN socket?
Yes. This means it can be used as a USB DAC too, if you'd like to use it in conjunction with external USB source (PC/Mac or some specialized device like Aurender).
Though I don't really understand why one need a USB input while there is an outstanding onboard streamer. Anyway it's great to have a choice.
There is some debate as to weather usb input is better than Ethernet Alan of Melco says it is an improvement
timster

Post by timster »

cortina wrote:Good morning Timster and welcome over to the good place! :)
Thank you, I am sure I know you from "the other place" but under a different moniker no doubt!
Or has sunbeam changed cars? ;)

And how do smileys work (or not) on here?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

jlrchrds wrote:Well the net effect is this... the forum shutdown is typical Linn wackiness. Like my dealer not necessarily being able to sell me a Urika II, another story. They are right and everyone else doesn’t matter. It makes me far more interested in looking at alternatives to Linn. I just swapped my 212s Exakt for Doriks AND I wanted to throw some questions about dialing them in on the forum, which was always a good resource. Oh well, some of their decisions are just dumb... they’re right and the consumer is wrong. Jeff
I’ve got Akudoriks if you want to ask a question.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

timster wrote:
cortina wrote:Good morning Timster and welcome over to the good place! :)
Thank you, I am sure I know you from "the other place" but under a different moniker no doubt!
Or has sunbeam changed cars? ;)

And how do smileys work (or not) on here?
Highly unlikely :)
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I think Linn have made a mistake dropping their forum for so long for the following reasons:

1) People like me are finding they no longer miss it. Have broken the habit.
2) They are likely to create a sense of anticlimax. (no pun intended). After all this wait, I can imagine myself saying "Oh, is that all it is, a new mid range of electronics"
3) Many Linn owners come to forums for support and opinions. I know I first did. They have suspended a useful lifeline for many weeks.
4) Hifi enthusiasts will have had the opportunity to have a good look round the forums of other brands of equipment, and may not return to Linn.
5) It is not important, in my opinion, how new products are unveiled. Anybody with our level of interest is going to regard breaking news with mild interest, and then require to actually hear the equipment in our own homes before making a judgement and parting with 1,000s of Euros. For me excitement and revelation begins at audition.

I would have thought that strict moderation and the planting of red herrings Linn could have concealed their secrets.

Donuk sunny downtown York
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

ThomasOK wrote:Some people just don't know how to keep a secret! It can't just be a typo for LP12 as the footprint of the Selekt DSM is square and not even close to that of the rectangular Sondek. The LP23 is Linn's new close and play square turntable made to play the new 9" (23cm) records Linn is also introducing. A brand new format! But it isn't supposed to be announced until October, hence the extended shutdown of the forum for the real shocking introduction. Boneheads at What Hi*Fi messing up an amazing product intro! What can you do?
However...

The footprint of the Klimax casework is 350mm x 355mm, is it not?

‘troll
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

ThomasOK wrote:
Ozzzy189 wrote:Can you remove that knob controller thingy off the top of the unit so you can use it without having to get up? Sorry if that sounds dumb but I haven't read anything that says it's portable, unless I've missed it.
You can remove it with enough force, but it wouldn't be pretty. ;-) There is a special remote control coming that is just for the Selekt DSM, not quite ready for the reveal. I don't know if it has a big, lighted knob too, or not.
I thought that was a removable remote, bit of a missed opportunity there imo.
Paulq

Post by Paulq »

Haha yes I did spot that.
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

Returning to the OP, it seems to me that Linn have set a precedent in suspending the Linn forum. There is nothing to stop them from repeating the exercise at some future date when the "next major launch" is due which makes its function all rather precarious.
Meanwhile it is important that temporary guests of this forum avoid upsetting our host and stick to his house rules as some users have caused upset already. BTW the front door is locked at 10pm.
Andrew L
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Very true. I think Fredrik has been very gracious allowing all the linn talk on his forum. Imagine what would happen if the situation was reversed!
Kudos to mister L.
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

Indeed, Sweden has long had a reputation for tolerance and of being a place of refuge for dispossessed souls. Parallels may be drawn with the current situation!
Andrew L
Peter@57m

Post by Peter@57m »

I would also like to add my thanks to Fredrik for hosting Linn waifs and strays.

Peter
timster

Post by timster »

Peter@57m wrote:I would also like to add my thanks to Fredrik for hosting Linn waifs and strays.

Peter
+1. From a newbie. But - now I'm here I'll most likely stay. Even if/when Linn get it together.
So win-win all round I'd say ;)