Linn forum down?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

fredrik

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by fredrik »

sunbeamgls wrote:"In the meantime, we’re using this opportunity to review the purpose of the Forum and our approach to moderating it"

Hmmm, lets hope it doesn't end up santised. They'll lose a lot of valuable customer input if that happens.
Wow confirmed suspicion 1, that the decision is Gilad's.

I agree with sunbeangls and flatcoat that it is ridiculous to suspend a forum for a month to make room for product updates. It is completely Ryan Air PR. The forum should be the natural spot to build excitement of the new products. Completely donkey arsed. A few days, that could be acceptable.

Now I feel indifferent to what will be announced. Defiant.
Turnip

Post by Turnip »

Ironic for someone with refugee from oppression heritage.
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

We have temporarily suspended the Linn Forum during the launch period of our exciting new product and upgrades, which runs until mid-October. As this is a staged, global launch, we want to avoid spoiling the launch for customers through early disclosure and discussion on the Forum
Let me get this right, they're closing the forum down until mid-October so that customers in various regions of the world don't get to hear what's going on in other region's of the world until it gets to them. Really?
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Flatcoat wrote:
The only source of any leaks is from Linn employees, so this is what Linn should be looking into to stop.
I don’t see how you can make that claim. All of their employees appear to have been tight lipped so far. Surely the risky period is when Linn start briefing the press and dealer network? Given that the forum lock down has coincided with the start of the dealer conferences and press day, Linn clearly think that too. Even with signed NDAs in place, it’s got to pretty difficult to prove where a leak comes from.

Back to the speculation, though, if there are upgrades, then it’s going to be something we already have and not a completely new type of product. My best guess is a radically new power amplifier topology, most likely surpassing Solo performance and ready for Solo, Twin and 350s. And no, no one has leaked that to me.

‘troll
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Music at Home wrote:
We have temporarily suspended the Linn Forum during the launch period of our exciting new product and upgrades, which runs until mid-October. As this is a staged, global launch, we want to avoid spoiling the launch for customers through early disclosure and discussion on the Forum
Let me get this right, they're closing the forum down until mid-October so that customers in various regions of the world don't get to hear what's going on in other region's of the world until it gets to them. Really?
Yes, I wondered about that one too. Given it’s going to be shown at XFI at the end of the week...

and we all have access to a little thing called the internet...

‘troll
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

An upgrade can be moving from one product to another 'better' product so may not mean changes to existing products. Linn, curiously, have Exaktboxes in the upgrades section of the site.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

sunbeamgls wrote:As in, cleaned out. Turned into a pure marketing channel. Full of nothing but Linn and nothing but praise. Meaningless to them and us.
That sounds like a very pessimistic view of how things could be!

To help me understand your point of view a bit more, can you describe what a meaningful forum might look like?

Do you have any examples?
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

sunbeamgls wrote:You'd think there would be a 'read only' mode for cases like this, so all the useful stuff was still available to customers.
This a very good point sunbeamgls, I took your idea and relayed it to the Linn Helpline ( hope you don't mind)

I really don't know what to think regarding this, maybe its not just new products/upgrades but a possible new industry partnership or new investors???

Its a shame that its down as it has been a fantastic resource this past few years and a nice place to meet, I for one have met many new friends because of it.

Avalon
Linn AEDSM, 2nr Katalyst Exaktbox 6 2nr Linn 4200, 1nr Linn Klimax dynamik Twin
High Gloss Akubariks
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

On a related topic (to this thread), does anyone else feel that there just isn't so much to talk about these days? 10-15 years ago, there was a period of excitement and many interesting discussions and debates as so many hi-fi nutters were suddenly able to communicate with one another. I guess it's unrealistic to expect that to be sustained over time. Maybe we expect too much of forums now...
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Yes, I think that’s a large part of it. Customers and retailers have surely got the hang of home networking by now - there is less need for a forum these days...
Nrwatson

Post by Nrwatson »

If you are so worried surely you would inform all the dealers in a timely manner taking more than a month to inform everyone sounds nonsense to me
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

From the XFI Premium Audio Show Facebook page -

Linn are “launching a completely new product and the visitors to xfi will be the first in the world to hear it...”
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote:On a related topic (to this thread), does anyone else feel that there just isn't so much to talk about these days? 10-15 years ago, there was a period of excitement and many interesting discussions and debates as so many hi-fi nutters were suddenly able to communicate with one another. I guess it's unrealistic to expect that to be sustained over time. Maybe we expect too much of forums now...
Not at all !
There are many extremely active forums.
It's ALL about quality, simple as that.

The Linn forum is since a few years full of discussions, NOT based on TuneDem.
That killed my interest.

Also, that many people only have one goal, trying to be funny destroy the threads. Pathetic that people can't understand that they pollute the forum - making it hard to get any useful information when the discussion constantly getting off topic.

As a final note.
Linn started the forum and made the correct decision (admirable) to let people express both positiv and negative thoughts on Linn and Linn equipment. Obviously Linn customers appreciated that gesture and as a result, obtained enhanced customer loyalty and respect.
With the recent decisions - with Linn making an U-turn, they going to find many extremely dissatisfied customers.
Censorship is very old today, very old.
Also, it NEWER works.
Even if Linn close the global Internet, we have phones, emails and personal meetings.
You simply can't stop information.

One month down-time, seriously?
It's all about musical understanding!
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

In the recent past (here and on their forum), I expressed the opinion that Linn is committing suicide for several reasons:

- discountinuing analog preamplifiers;
- esoteric prices;
- digital issues (DVC, Exakt, Urika 2 ...).

With an enhanced censorship and the forum down sine die, they are just accelerating the process.

BTW, I'm a bit curious about their new products: another Exakt only for oligarch or something new?

Just my 50 cents.

Regards

M.
Dobie

Post by Dobie »

Avalon wrote: I really don't know what to think regarding this, maybe its not just new products/upgrades but a possible new industry partnership or new investors???
Avalon
You might have a point Avalon. Getting dealers to sign NDA’s (if true) and the communication lock down could make some sense if it prohibited the discussion of market sensitive data.
Chet

Post by Chet »

Having just caught up with this thread...and being a Linn customer since the early 90's, my thoughts...

- I am sure Linn are following this thread

- commercially and from a loyalty point of view (and Linn has very loyal consumers and forum posters), closing the forum for this length is ridiculous and someone said it best 'shooting themselves in the foot'

- I am disppointed in lack of hardware support for products - I know commercially all the reasons why you can't offer 'x' number of years, but I would harness that brand loyalty and extend the length of hardware support

- Whilst I prefer the Lejonklou forum now, the Linn forum has a wealth of knowledge that is inaccessible now, thats a shame

- So what if posters on the Linn forum want to speculate about the forthcoming news, let them, it is not fact until Linn release it officially (unless they are contractually obliged that no leaks occur)

- the humour and ramblings in the Linn forum do no harm and if it keeps some customers happy then whats the big deal (although its not for me)

Frederik will be happy to hear, that for the first time I would consider seriously other brands, with his being the first in line...not because the forum is closed...but the lack of respect it shows to customers, to just wholesale shut it, some people obviously rely on it for social aspects also, some as a library of info, which has just disappeared without notice. It is also for me to do with not being to rely on support from a company for their products depending on the direction the companies products are going.
LP12 > CD12 > KK1 > Twins >350's Activ
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

With regards to the linn forum there's too many ridiculous 'joke' threads and a lot of guff. I don't want to surround myself with that garbage when I'm looking for relevant information.
I find it truly bizarre that linn are taking this stance and if the forum returns I don't expect it to be the same as it was.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Ozzzy189 wrote: "and if the forum returns I don't expect it to be the same as it was."
That's certainly possible, my thoughts as well.
Tony Tune-age
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Ozzzy189 wrote: "and if the forum returns I don't expect it to be the same as it was."
That's certainly possible, my thoughts as well.
It's all down to the shoddy way in which Linn has treated its most loyal followers, not just casual customers. If this is the way we are rewarded then they don't deserve the loyalty they have been shown over many years. Like others have commented, any anticipation over the announcement will seem like an anti-climax and "so what?"
Andrew L
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

Naim takes over Linn to learn them supporting products

In return Linn will assist the massive current streaming issues at Naim
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

PerFlemming wrote:Naim takes over Linn to learn them supporting products

Stranger things have happened in the business world, and perhaps they could re-join alliances again...like back in the day.
Tony Tune-age
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
PerFlemming wrote:Naim takes over Linn to learn them supporting products

Stranger things have happened in the business world, and perhaps they could re-join alliances again...like back in the day.
Forced to use Focal the end of tunedem :)
Macallan

Post by Macallan »

I have not posted a lot on the Linn forums recently (and even less on Lejonklou). Bust since I also hope that Linn are watching this thread, here is my opinion:

I have found the Linn forum great as it is, with a lot of technical information, very helpful and nice people, and overall a very good athmosphere!

Unlike some other posters here, I have found the balance between technical discussions, personal opinion, and humour just about right and enjoyable.

For sure there are threads/opinions with which I do not agree, but I found them interesting to read anyway, and helpful to keep an open mind.

One particular strengths of Linn is to allow differing opinions on their forum, keeping moderation to a low level, and let their products speak for themselves.

The forum has significantly contributed to my motivation to upgrade from Classik Musik & Ninka system piece by piece to a full Akurate Katalyst Exakt system.

Regards,
M.
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Many other brands have rumor sites,
Canonrumors, Nikonrumors, Fujirumors, Macrumors etc.. If this continues we should perhaps start a Linnrumors site where we can speculate freely. Especially if the reopened forum will be policed.
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

Really sounds like the lunatics have taken over and are now running the asylum!...
KDSM2,Klimax Solo's/1,Lp12,Keel,Radikal/1,Aro,Kandid,Tron Seven,Akurate 242's